Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

Guest lcmahtani

Hi guys -

I've just finished putting together the visa 820 application. Slightly concerned that processing seems to be around 12 months now (I'll be submitting in Sydney). Just in case this is of use to anyone that is crazy enough to apply, please find below my complete list of info and order of it being submitted.

1. Cover Letter stating which visa I am applying for, on what grounds and contact details

2. Contents page with cross referencing where applicable

3. Applicant information:

- Form 47SP

- Relationship statement

- Birth certificate

- Passport ID page

- Police certificate

- Form 80

- Medical report

- Passport photos

4. Sponsor's Information:

- Form 40SP

- Relationship statement

- Birth certificates

- Passport ID page

- Payslips for the last two years

- Partner's redundancy information

- Statement from partner about Assurance of Support

- Assurance of Support from Australian member of family

5. Shared household information:

- Tenancy agreement for 1st property

- Inventory and sign out agreements on 1st property

- Letters in both our names

- Letters in applicant name

- Letters in sponsor's name

- Tenancy agreement for 2nd property

- Letters in both our names

- Letters in applicant name

- Letters in sponsor's name

6. Shared Financial Information:

- Applicant's bank statements with covering table highlighting transactions of joint nature

- Sponsor's bank statements with covering table highlighting transactions of joint nature

- Joint bank statements information

7. Social context of relationship:

- Cards, invitations, gifts with both our names on

- Photographs

- Joint travel - e.g. boarding passes

- Statements/stat decs from friends and family

8. Nature of commitment to each other:

- Mutual wills

- Relationship registration certificate

- Emails to each other/screenshots of Facebook messages

I hope this helps someone.

Slightly concerned about how long things are taking at the moment. I am starting work on Monday 5th September and I don't want to have to leave after 6 months just because DIAC cannot approve a fully front loaded application!

Grr.

Good luck everyone. OH will be submitting this sometime next week for us.

Leah xx

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been a couple of threads on this recently. think people have said 2-6 months ish.

(irrelevant, but I think you'll be getting a 100 rather than a 801 because your initial application was offshore. the second stage of either can be granted either offshore or onshore)

There's been a couple of threads on this recently. think people have said 2-6 months ish.

(irrelevant, but I think you'll be getting a 100 rather than a 801 because your initial application was offshore. the second stage of either can be granted either offshore or onshore)

hi, i'll definitely be applying onshore. i thought the subclass 100 was only done offshore

" Partner Visa: Offshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 309 and 100)" says on the website

Yes, but you've already applied for it when you applied for the 301. It's not a new application, it's jsut the second stage of your original one.

sorry i'm with you now, cheers for your input

I joined these forums just to let people know our time frame. It has been really interesting reading everyone's stories.

I am an Australian and my partner is South Korean. We received the 820 Visa in just 11 days.

We did everything ourselves and had a totally complete application. Like others have recommended, we put together everything in sections and made it very clear. I had a cover sheet for every piece of evidence and paper clipped each section together.

Our evidence included the usual things like joint bank account etc, but also evidence of my attendance of a Korean language course to show my commitment to the relationship.

We submitted quite a few photos, the ones of us travelling together, but also more unusual ones like my partner helping my brothers clean the gutters at my parent's house.

The fee was taken from our account 2 days after we went to the post office and express posted it. We heard nothing about a bridging visa, just 11 days later received the letter saying that the 820 Visa was granted.

We also have some friends who received theirs in just a few days who gave advice on how to do it.

It does seem really unfair how they process them. It makes me wonder if it depends on the mood of the person looking at it whether they say yes right away or put it on a pile for 12 months...

Guest loop the loop

I still don't even know if I have been assigned a CO let alone if someone has even begun to look at my application.

I submitted almost 3 months ago, kind of makes my heart sink to see that the processing times have gone up to 12 months. :(

Guest CUFCfan616
I still don't even know if I have been assigned a CO let alone if someone has even begun to look at my application.

I submitted almost 3 months ago, kind of makes my heart sink to see that the processing times have gone up to 12 months. :(

I'm in the same boat atm, although only submitted my 801 application a month ago and got my confirmation they received it on 13/08/2011. I'm wondering when it's ok to start asking where my application is at. The pack they sent through said around 90 days is the usual turnaround time for an 801 visa, but has that changed? Silence is deafening

Same situation as you CUFCfan616 - submitted my 801 application about 3 weeks ago in Melbourne and got the card aknowledging they received it a week later. I rang them last week (as I had to tell them we will be out of the country for a couple of week soon) and they said the application had been registered or words similar to that, the day beforehand. I have not been notified of being assigned a case officer as yet.

Anyone else put in their 801 application recently?

Smiler

Guest navdeepkaur
same situation as you cufcfan616 - submitted my 801 application about 3 weeks ago in melbourne and got the card aknowledging they received it a week later. I rang them last week (as i had to tell them we will be out of the country for a couple of week soon) and they said the application had been registered or words similar to that, the day beforehand. I have not been notified of being assigned a case officer as yet.

Anyone else put in their 801 application recently?

Smiler

hi i applied for subclass 100 in march 2011 and still waiting............

Guest Helen alexandra

i applied back in April and recieved an Acknowledgement letter stating my application has been assssed as a valid application and it will be processed within 6-9months! Is this the standard letter all of you have received too? or does it still mean im in the dark as to wether or not they will need more evidence etc

Thanks

Helen

Guest navdeepkaur
i applied back in April and recieved an Acknowledgement letter stating my application has been assssed as a valid application and it will be processed within 6-9months! Is this the standard letter all of you have received too? or does it still mean im in the dark as to wether or not they will need more evidence etc

Thanks

which office u applied melbourne or brisbane?

which subclass 100 or 801?

• 2 weeks later...

Posting for the first time to let everyone know my experience with applying for a spouse visa.

I applied to the Sydney office last year and had all evidence and documents filed, including the medical done beforehand. I'd consider mine a pretty simple case - loads of evidence (all in English), long relationship history, married for over a year at time of application, no skeletons in the cupboard. The confirmation letter was received and payment taken after a week or two.

I received a letter giving me my CO contact details exactly one year to the day after applying. I included a UK police records check in my original submission instead of the police certificate which was actually required, so I need to get that to them, otherwise I'd assume this letter would have been letting me know my visa was granted.

So the current quotes of 1 year do seem correct. Still no idea why some people randomly seem to jump the queue, I can't see any rhyme or reason to it. I met someone the other day who got theirs in 2 days!

Guest CUFCfan616

I just picked up my approval letter from the post office for my 801 permanent residency :D From the looks of it I've been one of the lucky ones to go through quickly as it's been just over a month and a half since they received my application :)

I joined these forums just to let people know our time frame. It has been really interesting reading everyone's stories.

I am an Australian and my partner is South Korean. We received the 820 Visa in just 11 days.

We did everything ourselves and had a totally complete application. Like others have recommended, we put together everything in sections and made it very clear. I had a cover sheet for every piece of evidence and paper clipped each section together.

Our evidence included the usual things like joint bank account etc, but also evidence of my attendance of a Korean language course to show my commitment to the relationship.

We submitted quite a few photos, the ones of us travelling together, but also more unusual ones like my partner helping my brothers clean the gutters at my parent's house.

The fee was taken from our account 2 days after we went to the post office and express posted it. We heard nothing about a bridging visa, just 11 days later received the letter saying that the 820 Visa was granted.

We also have some friends who received theirs in just a few days who gave advice on how to do it.

It does seem really unfair how they process them. It makes me wonder if it depends on the mood of the person looking at it whether they say yes right away or put it on a pile for 12 months...

Just wanted to update. When my husband looked carefully at the dates he realised the Visa was actually granted in 3 days!! Immigration is just a bit slack sending the notification.

From what I've seen, if you hear from immigration to say they have received your application, it is likely to take months and months before they process it. They've just put it in some pile somewhere and will tell you in 6 months what you also need. If your application was perfect and you hear nothing about them receiving it or a bridging visa (though they have already taken the fee) its likely you'll have to granted very quickly. It seems to either be automatically granted or just put on a pile for months.

I noticed in another post on here that someone said they don't like dividers and paperclips. I really challenge that as we had every section held together in a paperclip. If you give them a stack of papers it is hard to sort it out. If your divide everything up with how it corresponds to the checklist it is easy for them to go through and tick everything off.

I think other people who used folders and dividers in this thread also reported that their visas were granted quite quickly too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share with you my time line. I arrived on PMV subclass 300 in end of June. My wedding was end of July.

I applied for 820/801 in beginning of Sep,2011, Brisbane office. Received an acknowledgement latter quoting processing time of 9-12 months. I hope if it takes 12 months to be granted permanent residency on the basis that my spouse and I are living together already 3 years and they have all sorts of official documents as a proof. Meanwhile i have been granted bridging visa A which will become active once subclass 300 ceased.

Guest clark kent

I applied in person at Hobart on June 1st and have heard absolutely nothing since. No letters or e-mails. I think I may have to give them a call Monday.....

Guest Pete n Julie

Hi

I lodged my full application together with all requested documents, medicals, police checks etc in February in person in Perth. I am still waiting... every time I call or email I am told the same thing.. it could take up to 9 months from lodgement. That makes it next month... here's hoping!! Hope you have better luck!

Guest chrisnnic

Hey everyone, just wanted to throw an update on here as WE GOT OUR VISA YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The timeline- lodged front loaded in person in Sydney office December last year told 6-9 months, I rang in September and was told nothing had been done, no case officer or anything and it was now 12 months wait. I had to apply for a Bridging Visa B to travel in November and with the form I sent a fax asking if possible they could at least check our application and tick off the medical and police checks as they were only valid until December and yesterday the letter arrived saying it had been processed and granted!

All in all took 9 months and 2 weeks so hopefully everyone out there who has seen people get theres in 5 days or less wikk have some hope that they are at least getting through to applications lodged late last year!

Thanks to all who gave advice on this forum and everyone's post who I read for further info. Good luck to everyone

Chris and Niccy

hi guys, have all our paperwork ready to go now for our permanent partner visa, have been in oz for 4 years now and have already gone through 1st stage of de facto/spouse 2 yrs ago and now this is 2nd for permanent residency with my partner :) yay! i have read many awnsers on the timeframe for permanent partner residency, the immi.gov site suggests up to 90 days untill we hear anything, has anyone that's done this visa heard back within that timeframe or is normally longer? p.s we are still living in oz and have not left since grant of first temp spouse/residency visa 2 yrs ago and my parner is australian- if that helps with any replies. cheers :)

Just went to Adelaide office to drop off change of circumstances form with marriage certificate. They confirmed that I still don't have a CO (I applied in Feb so it's been 8months now).

Lady behind the desk did say that applications get checked before they get put in the queue, so once you do actually get a CO, it should go quickly.

Archived