Guest guest36187

Have always wondered why you could not go to the UK Australian Embassy to validate if the time frame goes against you, it's not as if you are compelled to fly Qantas to Oz and back.:confused:

Bad form to quote your own post but; :policeman:

You must set foot in Australia because: :idea:

Contrary to popular perception and a lot of careless news reporting, embassies are the sovereign territory of the country in which they are located, NOT of the country whose diplomatic mission is housed there. That is why an office building can host an embassy on some floors and, say, a bank on others.

The reason for the misperception is probably that the Vienna Convention states that the local government foreswears the right to enter an embassy, and diplomatic immunity protects the diplomats working inside. However, this does not mean that that space is somehow transmuted into UK (or other) soil or legal territory for purposes of law enforcement.

Back to sleep.....:SLEEP:

I posted this on another thread but I thought it might be better on here.

I was wondering if any migrating parents had or are considering taking their car ti Oz....

We bought ours 6 years ago new (on finance) with the idea that, if looked after, it would last

us a long time. We had no idea then that we would be considering this move!.

It is a Toyota Landcrusier (4 x 4 Amazon) and would be perfect out there, we have seen lots of them on our visits.

The reason we are considering it is, it cost a lot of money £46,560 and we wouldnt get anywhere near that if we sold it here, it has been well looked after serviced etc and only has 35,000 on the clock. We are not sure what is involved and naturally it would cost money to do it (like everything else) but once we have paid for the visas......we would never be able to afford to buy another car like this in Oz.

As yet we dont know if it could go in a 40ft container with the things we would want to take or we would have to use a specialized shipping agent. The funny part about this is when we wanted to buy a manual for it the only place we could find one was eBay in Oz!!!!!!!

I would appreciate it if anyone who has or is considering doing it had any advice.

Phoebe

It might be bad form to quote your own post Les but in some cases its required :twitcy:

I got a reply on another forum regarding taking a car to Oz from a lovely guy who was very helpful. He has given us lots of information to help us look into it, websites etc :biggrin:

From what I have learned it's very much an individual choice and, if you have a 'run of the mill' car its proberbly not worth the costs and trouble, however, if you have what is in your opinion a 'good' car then it proberbly is given the cost of even second hand cars in Oz.

Just thought this might be helpful to any parents considering taking their car. If you need the info you know where to find me :yes:

Phoebe

Hi there Cakey, We are in a similar position (not having a spare £45K hanging about) but we decided to remortgage to release £50,000 of equity from the house and then it will be there when the visa needs paying for. Once we go over to Oz to activate the visa we can then come back to uk and sort the house sale out and hopefully, by then, property market will have picked up. We went for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa which costs approx $21,000 per applicant. We will then have 2 years to pay the balance of approx $14,000 each to make it a permanent visa. I dont think there is difference in cost - just that you have a bit longer to find all the money. Hope this helps! Vava

Guest Cakey

Hi there Vava

thanks for the good advice.

although we were both retired we have taken cleaning jobs and do car boots, anything to help towards the cost of the visa, so that if we have to release some equity from our house we will have saved something towards it. we applied for the permanent visa because we want to claim our son as the last remaining relative straight away, rather than wait two years.

Hi there Cakey, We are in a similar position (not having a spare £45K hanging about) but we decided to remortgage to release £50,000 of equity from the house and then it will be there when the visa needs paying for. Once we go over to Oz to activate the visa we can then come back to uk and sort the house sale out and hopefully, by then, property market will have picked up. We went for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa which costs approx $21,000 per applicant. We will then have 2 years to pay the balance of approx $14,000 each to make it a permanent visa. I dont think there is difference in cost - just that you have a bit longer to find all the money. Hope this helps! Vava

Hi

I was convinced going to go for the 173 (temporary) initially for the same reasons as you was the right way to go, but, then my OH pointed out that, because of our age and having to wait the 10 years before we would be entitled to any aged pension in Oz going for the 173 would have added more time to the wait, this being the time you wait to change to the 143.....i.e. if you get the 173 then wait say the 2 years to change that to 143 (permanant) the 10 year 'wait' would start from the 143 being granted adding up to 2 years to the time when you are entitled to the aged pension, the time spent on the 173 would not be counted, in my opinion, given what it is costing it should be, but the Oz laws are the Oz laws and if we want to do this to happen we have to abide by them :twitcy:

It's obviously your decision, we really thought long and hard about it before we made the decision. Just maybe something to think about.

I looked into the cost difference and the only additional payment to change from 173 to 143 would be the cost of :policeman: checks, and of course you would have to have another medical (more costs) if you hold the 173 for longer than 12 months. I think these facts are right, but someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of it :unsure:

Good Luck with it all....I think we need it:biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi

I was convinced going to go for the 173 (temporary) initially for the same reasons as you was the right way to go, but, then my OH pointed out that, because of our age and having to wait the 10 years before we would be entitled to any aged pension in Oz going for the 173 would have added more time to the wait, this being the time you wait to change to the 143.....i.e. if you get the 173 then wait say the 2 years to change that to 143 (permanant) the 10 year 'wait' would start from the 143 being granted adding up to 2 years to the time when you are entitled to the aged pension, the time spent on the 173 would not be counted, in my opinion, given what it is costing it should be, but the Oz laws are the Oz laws and if we want to do this to happen we have to abide by them :twitcy:

It's obviously your decision, we really thought long and hard about it before we made the decision. Just maybe something to think about.

I looked into the cost difference and the only additional payment to change from 173 to 143 would be the cost of :policeman: checks, and of course you would have to have another medical (more costs) if you hold the 173 for longer than 12 months. I think these facts are right, but someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of it :unsure:

Good Luck with it all....I think we need it:biggrin:

Phoebe

It's worth bearing in mind too that the state pension in Australia is means tested against your income and assets. Have a look at this Centrelink info page.

It makes the UK state pension look quite valuable, though I always wonder how much will have changed by the time I actually reach retirement age.

By the way for the 143 you also have to find the dosh for the AOS - $14,000 for a couple.

Best wishes

Steve

It's worth bearing in mind too that the state pension in Australia is means tested against your income and assets. Have a look at this Centrelink info page.

It makes the UK state pension look quite valuable, though I always wonder how much will have changed by the time I actually reach retirement age.

By the way for the 143 you also have to find the dosh for the AOS - $14,000 for a couple.

Best wishes

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes we know about the $14,000 AoS as well........:twitcy:

I will certainly have a look at the link you sent me thank you to see if the 143 is definatly the right way to go. There's so much information to consider :spinny:

Phoebe

We decided to go for the 173 initially as we did not want to be put under pressure of having to sell our house to raise all the money for the second VAC and the AOS. As soon as we have our 173 we will put our house on the market and as soon as it is sold we will then apply to convert to the 143, which is taking about 4-6 months at the moment.

You can apply for the 143 any time within the two years, either in or outside of Australia. We don't really intend to wait 2 years but it does mean we can have a bit more control over when we put our house on the market without feeling pressured.

We decided to go for the 173 initially as we did not want to be put under pressure of having to sell our house to raise all the money for the second VAC and the AOS. As soon as we have our 173 we will put our house on the market and as soon as it is sold we will then apply to convert to the 143, which is taking about 4-6 months at the moment.

You can apply for the 143 any time within the two years, either in or outside of Australia. We don't really intend to wait 2 years but it does mean we can have a bit more control over when we put our house on the market without feeling pressured.

Hi Lindsay

This is why we were going to go for the 173 initially but when OH mentioned potentially another 2 year wait we reconsidered.

The other thing for me is the medical, I am partially disabled and would have to go theough a 2nd medical (assuming I passed the first), so we think the 143 would be the better way to go.......for now :twitcy:

I understand the 143 will also give us more freedom to go to and from Oz within the 5 year period before we settled for good, but it is really difficult :huh:

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Lindsay

This is why we were going to go for the 173 initially but when OH mentioned potentially another 2 year wait we reconsidered.

The other thing for me is the medical, I am partially disabled and would have to go theough a 2nd medical (assuming I passed the first), so we think the 143 would be the better way to go.......for now :twitcy:

I understand the 143 will also give us more freedom to go to and from Oz within the 5 year period before we settled for good, but it is really difficult :huh:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

You would not have to undergo a second medical if you upgrade from the CPV 173 to the 143. The only time they ask for a second medical in this situation is when the holder of the CPV has spent time in a country that is considered to be risky for Health reasons during the period between the grant of the CPV 173 and the grant of the CPV 143.

For example, Hepatitis is said to be rife in some parts of the Far East, as is TB I gather. No doubt there are other diseases that I don't know about in other places. TB is airborne - I don't know about the three strains of Hepatitis. The Health check for the upgrade is only a way of ensuring that a competent doctor will check again for something like TB and if it is found then it will be treated in Oz until the person is free from the disease. It would not result in the upgrade being refused.

I know how worrying the meds are when somebody is disabled. I was worried sick about my own mother's meds - so were Mum and my sister - but it was all OK in the end. Yomvard was worried about her own meds in 2009 but she sailed through them as well. The worry is often a million times worse than the underlying cause of the disability, I reckon!

If you obtain a CPV 173 to start with then you can extend the first 5 years of travelling around to a maximum of about 7 years in total. Grayling (who posts on BE occasionally) mentioned this because he did the two-stage route to PR.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Phoebe

You would not have to undergo a second medical if you upgrade from the CPV 173 to the 143. The only time they ask for a second medical in this situation is when the holder of the CPV has spent time in a country that is considered to be risky for Health reasons during the period between the grant of the CPV 173 and the grant of the CPV 143.

For example, Hepatitis is said to be rife in some parts of the Far East, as is TB I gather. No doubt there are other diseases that I don't know about in other places. TB is airborne - I don't know about the three strains of Hepatitis. The Health check for the upgrade is only a way of ensuring that a competent doctor will check again for something like TB and if it is found then it will be treated in Oz until the person is free from the disease. It would not result in the upgrade being refused.

I know how worrying the meds are when somebody is disabled. I was worried sick about my own mother's meds - so were Mum and my sister - but it was all OK in the end. Yomvard was worried about her own meds in 2009 but she sailed through them as well. The worry is often a million times worse than the underlying cause of the disability, I reckon!

If you obtain a CPV 173 to start with then you can extend the first 5 years of travelling around to a maximum of about 7 years in total. Grayling (who posts on BE occasionally) mentioned this because he did the two-stage route to PR.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks for that, I did think you had to have a second medical so that is something to consider :biggrin:

Do you know if, on the 173 because it is temporaty, you would be able to purchase a property. Thinking in terms of going for the 173, moving to Oz then upgrading 'onshore' :arghh:

Phoebe

Guest Cakey

Can anyone please help me with a query I have?

We are applying for the contributory parent visa. When we finally get it and living in Australia what exactly are we entitled to? I know we have to wait ten years for any benefits but what about prescriptions? I know we are lucky in the UK being senior citizens we get these free, but my husband had bladder cancer 25 years ago and has to wear urostomy bags, he gets monthly supplies on a free prescription. Obviously this is a lifetime need so what kind of expense are we looking at. Perhaps someone reading this has a similar problem or needs monthly medication and can perhaps be able to help.

We are applying for the contributory parent visa. When we finally get it and living in Australia what exactly are we entitled to? I know we have to wait ten years for any benefits but what about prescriptions? I know we are lucky in the UK being senior citizens we get these free, but my husband had bladder cancer 25 years ago and has to wear urostomy bags, he gets monthly supplies on a free prescription. Obviously this is a lifetime need so what kind of expense are we looking at. Perhaps someone reading this has a similar problem or needs monthly medication and can perhaps be able to help.

Hi Cakey

I had a similar question and Gill kindly sent me this info, it might be helpful to you too.:biggrin:

Welcome to Seniors Card

The perks vary from State to State but I have never come across someone who has one but does not think that the card is worthwhile. Most people seem to swear by them. They are available as soon as you become resident in Oz and in most States, the people who run Seniors Card realise that a CPV 173 is only a stepping stone to the PR version so they are good about providing Seniors Cards.

If you are old enough and you qualify for it financially, then after you have had Permanent Residency in Oz for two years Centrelink also provide a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. (That and Seniors Card are two different cards.)

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

Mum's CSH Card has proved to be invaluable for the cost of her prescriptions. Instead pof paying something like $33 per drug per prescription, the price dropped to $5 per drug. That saves Mum a lot and is very well worthwhile. Of course, she paid for the perk up-front via the second instalment but at least some of the capital is coming back!

The CSH Card provides other help as well - I think there is an Aussie equivalent of road tax (vehicle licencing tax or whatever it is called.) Mum has never had a driving licence so she has never had her own car, but for most CPV holders this car-tax concession would be well worthwhile.

Please read about the two cards in detail and work out what would be useful for you.

Phoebe

Guest Cakey

Thanks so much PhoebeW for the really useful information. It kind of helps to ease the worry a bit knowing there is some help available.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Cakey

The position about prescriptions is that you have to pay to get a pharmacist to fill the prescription. You would pay around $33 for a 2 or 3 months' suppy of drug A, another $33 for a similar situation with drug B and so on. If you can qualify for a Commonwealth Sebiors Healthcare Card, the cost reduces to about $5 per drug instead of around $33.

With regard to the stoma bags, please try the website below:

Welcome to the Australian Council of Stoma Associations

Organisations like the Stoma Council's member associations can be found almost everywhere in Oz, are very knowledgeable and helpful and they would not mind in the least if you were to contact them at this stage and ask them for any information that might be useful to you.

Cheers

Gill

Can anyone clear something up for me.

Once the CPV143 is granted, I know you have to go to Oz to validate it then spend 'X' amount of time there within 5 years but I don't know what the 'X' time is, someone said 2 years but does this have to be altogether??

Thanks

Phoebe

Hi Gill

Do you know if, on the 173 because it is temporary, you would be able to purchase a property.

Phoebe

I think the answer is Yes. Temporary residents can buy any property, but if it is not brand-new (ie, bought direct from the developer) or built yourself on land you buy, then you would have to sell if you returned to the UK (or wherever) and gave up your Oz residence. If is is brand-new than in that situation you would be permitted to keep it as an investment or for holidays if you wanted to.

At least that was the situation a few years ago, when Sue and I (having downsized in London) bought a small new 'unit' (ie, flat) in Sydney, to use on annual visits to the family and let at other times. I have a feeling the Foreign Investment Review Board may have relaxed the rules a bit; for up-to-date info, have a look at FIRB: Foreign Investment Review Board - Home.

Best, Mike

G'day

As of today, we officially join the queue.

Acknowledgement (for 173 initially – like others, we'd like more time if necessary to come up with the full whack of the 2nd "contribution") received today. For your info, Steve:

Date of letter: 15 July 2010

Date application received: 22 June 2010

Date quoted for COs currently processing applications: 18 March 2009 (same as for DaveandLinda, whose acknowledgement was nearly a week ago)

Personal application (not through Immo agent – at least unless obstacles appear!)

Destination: Sydney (lower North Shore) [Family live in Sydney – Eastern Suburbs]

(We've visited / lived in these areas in particular many times and for months and in one case years at a time, so would be more than happy to impart any info we can to other thread subscribers.)

All the best to everyone, Mike and Sue

PS: Does anyone know the significance of the "Position Number"quoted in the acknowledgement letter? Ours is 469; does this actually mean we're number 469 in the 2009–10 queue, or is it simply a reference number to identify our application?

Mike 'n' Sue, London

47PA officially received by PVC: 22 June 2010

Applying initially for 173; heading for Sydney

Come, come, Phoebe, learn the lingo: It's the "rego" (short for registration) – how the Aussies love their abbrev-o's!

Mike

Haha so true.........my daughter now tells me when her 'Rego' is due but she will always be a 'Pom'..........:laugh:

Phoebe

Just wanted to let you all know that we have finally made the decision to start the application for the CPV143. We are doing it 'on our own' so I'm sure I will be back here a lot in the near future.

Wish me luck guys n girls

Phoebe

Just wanted to let you all know that we have finally made the decision to start the application for the CPV143. We are doing it 'on our own' so I'm sure I will be back here a lot in the near future.

Wish me luck guys n girls

Phoebe

Hi, certainly wish you all the luck! I am very envious! Will follow your progress.......

Cheers Pam