Guest guest36187

Just wanted to let you all know that we have finally made the decision to start the application for the CPV143. We are doing it 'on our own' so I'm sure I will be back here a lot in the near future.

Wish me luck guys n girls

Phoebe

Well done Phoebe

Yes, it's scary isn't it? But look at it this way: if you change your mind further down the line at least you have only lost the initial VAC. One step at a time for us as well.

For the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173) does the rule still apply that an applicant must be settled for 2 years in Australia before he can lodge his application?

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi sidharthd

It is not the applicant, but the sponsor, who is normally a son or daughter (or spouse) of the applicants parents, who need to be settled. And this also applies to the 173. This is normally a period of 2 years, but you might find the following interesting:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Guest Cakey

Well done Phoebe

We were exactly the same, wondering if we were doing the right thing but my motto is I would rather give it a go than never know.

Guest Lively

For the first time in my life I have taken an interest in political agenda and policies because my parents & sister will be applying for CPV visas soon!

Does anyone know which immigration policy is in favour (or better) for CPV applicants - Liberal or Labour?

Will DIAC stop processing the applications until it's decided who wins and releases their immigration policy? Longer wait for us?

I have been told that Liberal immigration policy is better, but I have also read that Liberal will be axing family migration. I am confused...:err:

Hi Linday,

Thanks for the link. Its very interesting read. I am the sponsor for my father and would like to bring him to oz. Im looking at how best this can be done. I read the requirements list for sponsor for subclass 173 but could not anywhere mentioned a 2 year period. Perhaps its not applicable for subclass 173?

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Linday,

Thanks for the link. Its very interesting read. I am the sponsor for my father and would like to bring him to oz. Im looking at how best this can be done. I read the requirements list for sponsor for subclass 173 but could not anywhere mentioned a 2 year period. Perhaps its not applicable for subclass 173?

Hi Sidhartd

I have merged your thread into the general Parents thread since we are trying to keep all of the routine queries in the same place.

It does not sound as if you have read Boolklet 3?

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

DIAC talk about the 2 year idea in Booklet 3 but they stress that it is only a policy of their own and they acknowledge that it isn't the law.

However the legislation for every visa in which "parent" appears in the Title states very firmly that the Sponsor must be a settled PR at the time when the visa application is lodged. The authority for this(for your own purposes since you are asking about a CPV 173) is in the stuff about Subclass 173 in the Mig Regs:

You will find the statement of the law in Vol 3 of the Regs.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
G'day

As of today, we officially join the queue.

Acknowledgement (for 173 initially – like others, we'd like more time if necessary to come up with the full whack of the 2nd "contribution") received today. For your info, Steve:

Date of letter: 15 July 2010

Date application received: 22 June 2010

Date quoted for COs currently processing applications: 18 March 2009 (same as for DaveandLinda, whose acknowledgement was nearly a week ago)

Personal application (not through Immo agent – at least unless obstacles appear!)

Destination: Sydney (lower North Shore) [Family live in Sydney – Eastern Suburbs]

(We've visited / lived in these areas in particular many times and for months and in one case years at a time, so would be more than happy to impart any info we can to other thread subscribers.)

All the best to everyone, Mike and Sue

PS: Does anyone know the significance of the "Position Number"quoted in the acknowledgement letter? Ours is 469; does this actually mean we're number 469 in the 2009–10 queue, or is it simply a reference number to identify our application?

Mike 'n' Sue, London

47PA officially received by PVC: 22 June 2010

Applying initially for 173; heading for Sydney

Hi Mike and Sue

Welcome to the world of waiting! It is crazy that it took less time for you to gestate the Sponsor than it will take for you to receive your CPVs! Have you asked Steve (sandch) to add you to the tracker?

Australian migration, contributory parent visa, information and progress tracker

DIAC ought to pay Steve for running the tracker for them. It is a brilliant website.

Apparently the Aussie Govt has recently introduced a new Bill which will improve the situation for people who rely on foreign investment funds, it would seem.

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

I haven't read the details but Alan Collett of Go Matilda is a Chartered Accountant so his interpretation of the new Bill is sure to be accurate. I don't know whether the Bill received Royal Assent before Parliament was prorogued in Oz.

There is no significance about the "Position Number." Every member of DIAC's staff who deals with the public seems to have a Position Number. When I asked DIAC about it, they said that it is to do with their computer system. Apparently the computer has no problem with Number 123456 but it chokes on "Joe Bloggs" instead. The system is programmed to work with numbers instead of letters, apparently.

Cheers

Gill

G'day Gill

Thanks for your greeting – you were, in fact, our (unknowing) introduction to PiO, as we found your postings on the meds thread when we were pondering our application, and in fact contact the Southampton doc that you recommended – sadly no longer on the Panel, but still very helpful in a couple of telephone conversations. We still have some worries about the medical issues, so may post a query on that dedicated thread nearer the time.

Hi Mike and Sue

Have you asked Steve (sandch) to add you to the tracker?

Cheers

Gill

Yes, indeed! Although we're the penultimate names on the list, we'll keep a close watch.

(I do wonder if Steve has got Dave and Linda's date correct, however; according to postings, they got their acknowledgement letter a week before ours – I'll query him direct)

Mike

G'day Gill

Thanks for your greeting – you were, in fact, our (unknowing) introduction to PiO, as we found your postings on the meds thread when we were pondering our application, and in fact contact the Southampton doc that you recommended – sadly no longer on the Panel, but still very helpful in a couple of telephone conversations. We still have some worries about the medical issues, so may post a query on that dedicated thread nearer the time.

Yes, indeed! Although we're the penultimate names on the list, we'll keep a close watch.

(I do wonder if Steve has got Dave and Linda's date correct, however; according to postings, they got their acknowledgement letter a week before ours – I'll query him direct)

Mike

Hi Mike and Sue

Yes, the date on the tracker is correct. The letter was dated 8th July. Maybe the post takes a bit longer to your part of the UK???

We also thought long and hard about the finanancial aspects of a CPV, but for us it came down to this How Much do we really want to be with our family and then the time for a parent visa 8 years + by that time will be too old. Also if we dont go can't spend all our money on the grand kids. So we applied Nov 2009, now just sat waiting. Wished we had known about the time frame with onshore we were there in March for 6 weeks sounds as if we could be well on our way by now.

HELP we are applying for CPV143 and pass the BoF test one daughter in Australia and one son in the Uk. On going through form 47pa checklist I noticed I have to prove my childrens country of residence. I have my daughters proof of PR in Oz but my son who is and will be staying in the UK has just told me his passport expired earlier this year and he didn't renew it because he has a heavy workload ATM so didn't intend to travel!!! So what do I do now? Is there any other form of ID I could use to prove he lives in the UK? He is 27 years old and has his own house. Has anyone else had this problem? After all some people don't have passports. I only got my first passport when my daughter emigrated!!!!

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler
HELP we are applying for CPV143 and pass the BoF test one daughter in Australia and one son in the Uk. On going through form 47pa checklist I noticed I have to prove my childrens country of residence. I have my daughters proof of PR in Oz but my son who is and will be staying in the UK has just told me his passport expired earlier this year and he didn't renew it because he has a heavy workload ATM so didn't intend to travel!!! So what do I do now? Is there any other form of ID I could use to prove he lives in the UK? He is 27 years old and has his own house. Has anyone else had this problem? After all some people don't have passports. I only got my first passport when my daughter emigrated!!!!

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

Don't worry about it. I forgot to send a copy of my passport with Mum's application. I realised at the last minute that I had forgotten to get it photocopied.

If you don't prove the whereabouts of a child who does not live in Oz, DIAC assume that the child lives in the Parent's country of origin.

I live in the UK so DIAC would get to the right result by default. In any case, my passport proves that I am a British Citizen but it does not prove that I live in the UK. I don't have to have my passport stamped in any EU country, after all.

I figured that if they were that desperate to receive an unnecessary document about me, DIAC would ask for it. Failing to include it at the beginning does not render the visa application invalid.

Nothing was ever said about my passport so it is just as well that I did not waste any time copying it and getting it certified.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Sidhartd

I have merged your thread into the general Parents thread since we are trying to keep all of the routine queries in the same place.

It does not sound as if you have read Boolklet 3?

DIAC talk about the 2 year idea in Booklet 3 but they stress that it is only a policy of their own and they acknowledge that it isn't the law.

However the legislation for every visa in which "parent" appears in the Title states very firmly that the Sponsor must be a settled PR at the time when the visa application is lodged. The authority for this(for your own purposes since you are asking about a CPV 173) is in the stuff about Subclass 173 in the Mig Regs:

You will find the statement of the law in Vol 3 of the Regs.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill. This is exactly what i was looking for. Now will get back to reading the booklet. Thanks a ton!:hug:

Guest Sayma

I have never posted on a forum before so please bear with me. I have been reading lots of threads and have questions on the Aged Parent Visas.

My husband is 65 - does that mean we have to apply for an Aged Parent Visa? If not, is there any advantage in an APV over a PV? We meet the BOF test.

My understanding is that if you apply for either a CAPV or an APV you have to be in

Australia. Does this mean you are there on a tourist visa and, if so, presumably you have taken all the paperwork with you, meaning that you had thought about this before your visit and so is not that open to refusal by the authorities? Can you then return to the UK while the application is being processed? Or are you expected to stay in Australia and live with your son or can you buy or rent accommodation?

Once the permanent CAPV or APV is granted, how soon do you have to take up permanent residence and are there any restrictions about returning to UK to see elderly mother?

If we decide to apply for CPV (assuming we're allowed to) instead, how soon do you have to take up residence and are there any restrictions about returning to the UK for visits?

Any help would be very much appreciated and or advice on participating in forums.

Sayma

Thanks Gill. This is exactly what i was looking for. Now will get back to reading the booklet. Thanks a ton!:hug:

Booklet 3 is very informative it tells you just about everything you need to know. Please make sure you take in the part that tell you if you apply for the CPV173 then decide to 'upgrade' to the CPV143, the 2nd VAC is costed at the time you apply for the CPV143 and NOT when you applied for the CPV173.

We were going to go for the CPV173 initially because of the cost of 2nd VAC but when we considered everything and they way the cost of these CPV Visas are going up it would be the best option for us. Good Luck with it all.:biggrin:

Phoebe

Guest austibeach

I have just popped into PIO for the first time in a while and I noticed that there are quite a few of you just starting out on the long road that is the CPV 143. Well I will try and be around to offer any advice that I can, as we have been there, done that and even have the T-shirt. We are now at the other stage which is a test of stress levels ; selling our house.

It is a very long and trying process, just to be with your family, but you must never lose sight of the decisions that you made to move in the beginning. There will be many times that you will question your sanity ; usually when you are asked for the second payment ; but rest assured you are sane and you are not alone, many of us are making those same decisions.

There are many people on various forums that will help you along by offering good advice, but top of the list without doubt will be Gill a.k.a Gollywobbler, ( I never have got around to asking her what that name means ), she will answer all the questions you need answers to, and a whole lot more you hadn't even thought of.

Good luck to you all,

Eric.

Another dilema!! I bought several copies of birth, marriage and divorce certificates (cost a small fortune) before I realized I could have just copied the originals and had them certified! I emailed the immigration office 2 days ago to explain that I had bought 'original copes' so would be sending them but because they are originals do I still have to have them certified? They replied today saying I didn't need to send originals just copies of the originals and the people who are qualified to certify them which I had eventually found myself anyway!!! So 3 days later I am still in the same place is there anyone who can help on this before my head explodes please......

Phoebe

Phoebe:

If you got them from the Register Office ("Identity and Passport Service") I think you'll see that printed on it is the fact that it's a "Certified Copy". As far as I know (any lawyers present to confirm?) that is sufficient. At least I hope it is – it's what we sent.

I don't know what you paid for your certificates, but I think the cheapest way is to order online at Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service. The cost there is £10 per certificate. Our took less than a week. You have to register as a user, but it's not too much hassle. You can pay by credit card.

Mike

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Eric

A gollywobbler is the mizzen staysail on a gaff schooner. I've never sailed on a gaff schoone bit apparently a gollywobbler is a shivery, difficult sail to fly and most of the time it doesn't shove the boat along unless one is sailing on a reach or downwind.

The late (and in my opinion great) Bruce Fraser told me about it. He was a journalist for the Telegraph for many years - he used to write about sailing and snow-skiiing - and he was a sailing friend of mine. So was his widow, Ann Fraser, who was still alive in 1995 but I lost touch with her after 1995 so I don't know whether she is still with us. A friend of mine saw Gollywobbler II in the Solent recently but he doesn't know Ann so I don't know whether she is still about.

Ann Fraser Feisty Sailing Lady

They had two children and everyone knew that the trick with the Frasers was only to have one of them on your boat at any one time, otherwise they would fight each other and there would be chaos!

Ann had the money, which she inherited from her father. Bruce had the brains and the wit, plus the real knowledge. He had done all the stupid things in the 1950s. He had been chummy with Uffa Fox and these two sailed dingies from the Solent to Cherbourg together etc. When Ann bought Gollywobbler I, £5,000 would have bought a much better boat but since Bruce had offered the extra £5,000, that idea was not on!

I will always remember Bruce for an encounter at about 6.30am one Sunday when he was completely baffled by the idea that I intended to go yacht racing with his wife. He asked why? I said because Ann had been kind enough to invite me, of course. Bruce said earnestly, "But if you go racing with my wife, the only thing you will learn is how to tack and manoevre your vessel to the strategic advantage of coming last in the race. Why do you want to do that?"

I creased up. The bickering between them was legendary in sailing circles and this was typical Fraser bitching. When Ann did the two handed Transatlantic Race, she got a girl called Nancy to crew for her. We all agreed that Nancy didn't know a thing about boats and had no idea how to sail one. Anyone else and Bruce would have claimed that the crew had got his wife to the finishing line because he was not prepared to accept that Ann had any competence on a boat. With regard to Nancy, he went around telling everyone, "As you know, my relations with my wife are not of the best. Nevertheless, I wouldn't want her to drown!" Despite him and some nasty storms in the North Atlantic, both ladies survived and between them they got Gollywobbler to Newport (Rhode Island) in one piece.

It was true that Bruce was much the better sailor out of the couple but Ann had the money and the hardware, and she was determined to give it a go without him patronising her and treating her as a Clueless Little Woman. The rest of us chuckled. It was impossible to keep the peace between them so we just kept them apart on the water! They lived in Richmond, in a house adjoining the park. He lived upstairs. She lived downstairs. The house was converted into two separate flats because although I think they loved each other, they hated each other at the same time!

Cheers

Gill

Phoebe:

If you got them from the Register Office ("Identity and Passport Service") I think you'll see that printed on it is the fact that it's a "Certified Copy". As far as I know (any lawyers present to confirm?) that is sufficient. At least I hope it is – it's what we sent.

I don't know what you paid for your certificates, but I think the cheapest way is to order online at Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service. The cost there is £10 per certificate. Our took less than a week. You have to register as a user, but it's not too much hassle. You can pay by credit card.

Mike

Time of year might make a difference to the timing - we waited 27 days for ours! :arghh:but at least £10 isn't too bad:unsure: