Guest guest36187

Guest redsetter

We initially went with Migration Expert but filled all forms etc ourselves

the link to check you position should be on your e mail received from immigration will look it up for you later

feeling less blah today but still a long road ahead

Hi Lindsay

Thankyou so much for the link. I think I am panicking too soon trying to do everything at once. :arghh:

Phoebe

Oh, don't worry. I was just the same. You think you have everything sorted in your head and then the answer to one query throws up another query you hadn't thought of! I am still learning stuff. That's why threads like this are invaluable.

I posted this on another thread but I thought it might be better on here.

I was wondering if any migrating parents had or are considering taking their car ti Oz....

We bought ours 6 years ago new (on finance) with the idea that, if looked after, it would last

us a long time. We had no idea then that we would be considering this move!.

It is a Toyota Landcrusier (4 x 4 Amazon) and would be perfect out there, we have seen lots of them on our visits.

The reason we are considering it is, it cost a lot of money £46,560 and we wouldnt get anywhere near that if we sold it here, it has been well looked after serviced etc and only has 35,000 on the clock. We are not sure what is involved and naturally it would cost money to do it (like everything else) but once we have paid for the visas......we would never be able to afford to buy another car like this in Oz.

As yet we dont know if it could go in a 40ft container with the things we would want to take or we would have to use a specialized shipping agent. The funny part about this is when we wanted to buy a manual for it the only place we could find one was eBay in Oz!!!!!!!

I would appreciate it if anyone who has or is considering doing it had any advice.

Phoebe

the link as promised

www.ecom.immi.gov.au/qcalc/QDateAnswer.do

key in your queue date/type of visa and this shokuld bring it up on screen hope this works!

Thanks for the link - unfortuneately I get

ERROR

Access Denied

• Access Denied by security policy

The security policy for your network prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your administrator if you feel this is incorrect.

Thanks for the link - unfortuneately I get

ERROR

Access Denied

• Access Denied by security policy

The security policy for your network prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your administrator if you feel this is incorrect.

Same here :arghh:

Guest Lively
We sent our applications last november, and received acknowledgment february this year. We are with Go Matilda and they told us it would take about fifteen months....are you with an agent or doing it yourselves.

Hi Cakey,

Is it normal to wait 4 months to get an acknowledgement? What is the date on the letter if you don't mind me asking? The last time I heard the timeline is 4 weeks, does this mean the wait is longer now?

Does anybody know whether the 15-18 months wait (or is it 20-24 months now?) is counted from the day

1. Application is received or

2. Date on acknowledgement letter?

Is the 15-18 months timeline is from acknowledgement to grant of visa or from acknowledgement to getting a case officer?

I wonder if anyone can advise. My MIL is coming out at the end of August to do a reccie. Basically her situation is that she has one son here (my husband) and one son living in Spain. She was widowed shortly after we left the UK, so is really on her own. She now wants to look into coming here.

Previously I told her about the aged parent visa and she seemed keen. With the new info is this now an impossible risk? Would it be worth trying with a view to switching to a cpv if things became tricky? Could she still have a bridging visa and live here whilst she was on the waiting list for the 103?

I read something on this thread about only being able to buy a new house if you are on a temp/bridging visa. Is this the case/ What exactly are the restrictions?

So many questions I know, but we really want to help her and provide her with the best options for making this all a reality.

Finally just remembered if she were to apply for an onshore cpv would she be able to stay here until it were granted and if so on what visa and under what conditions?

Many thanks in anticipation. :notworthy:

I wonder if anyone can advise. My MIL is coming out at the end of August to do a reccie. Basically her situation is that she has one son here (my husband) and one son living in Spain. She was widowed shortly after we left the UK, so is really on her own. She now wants to look into coming here.

Previously I told her about the aged parent visa and she seemed keen. With the new info is this now an impossible risk? Would it be worth trying with a view to switching to a cpv if things became tricky? Could she still have a bridging visa and live here whilst she was on the waiting list for the 103?

I read something on this thread about only being able to buy a new house if you are on a temp/bridging visa. Is this the case/ What exactly are the restrictions?

So many questions I know, but we really want to help her and provide her with the best options for making this all a reality.

Finally just remembered if she were to apply for an onshore cpv would she be able to stay here until it were granted and if so on what visa and under what conditions?

Many thanks in anticipation. :notworthy:

Hi Beanbear

Just one word of warning - I have heard of cases (lady posted on PIO) about her parents doing just that. The problem is that your mil would need to undertake another medical before being granted a CPV and I believe this lady's father failed the medical and then had to undertake all sorts of appeals. However, with a 20 year wait for the 103, you might think it worth the risk!

I posted this on another thread but I thought it might be better on here.

I was wondering if any migrating parents had or are considering taking their car ti Oz....

We bought ours 6 years ago new (on finance) with the idea that, if looked after, it would last

us a long time. We had no idea then that we would be considering this move!.

It is a Toyota Landcrusier (4 x 4 Amazon) and would be perfect out there, we have seen lots of them on our visits.

The reason we are considering it is, it cost a lot of money £46,560 and we wouldnt get anywhere near that if we sold it here, it has been well looked after serviced etc and only has 35,000 on the clock. We are not sure what is involved and naturally it would cost money to do it (like everything else) but once we have paid for the visas......we would never be able to afford to buy another car like this in Oz.

As yet we dont know if it could go in a 40ft container with the things we would want to take or we would have to use a specialized shipping agent. The funny part about this is when we wanted to buy a manual for it the only place we could find one was eBay in Oz!!!!!!!

I would appreciate it if anyone who has or is considering doing it had any advice.

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

Sorry can't help with this. You might be better posting in a general forum.

Hi Cakey,

Is it normal to wait 4 months to get an acknowledgement? What is the date on the letter if you don't mind me asking? The last time I heard the timeline is 4 weeks, does this mean the wait is longer now?

Does anybody know whether the 15-18 months wait (or is it 20-24 months now?) is counted from the day

1. Application is received or

2. Date on acknowledgement letter?

Is the 15-18 months timeline is from acknowledgement to grant of visa or from acknowledgement to getting a case officer?

This is the timescales we were given:

Month 1 - preliminary enquiries, form filling etc.

Month 2 - DIAC application reviewed and lodged by our agent (acknowledged 1 month to 6 weeks later)

Month 20 - CO - health and character checks requested

Month 22 - Assurance of Support Bond requested

Month 23 - DIAC final Visa charge requested

Month 24 - Visa granted

Guest Cakey

Hi lively

I received acknowledgment from Go Matilda on 15 Febuary 2010, stating my visa application had been received by the immigration department on 4 February 2010. they say the processing time for 143 applications is about 15-18 months, so it would be early next year before I would be allocated a case officer but due to high levels of applications they were currently working on applications lodged on 4 November 2008. Does anyone know how many they work on in a month? How many have they processed since February.?

We posted our Contributory Parents (Class 143) Visa on 7th April 2009, acknowledgement received dated 21st April. Still waiting for a CO to be appointed - expect this to be Sept / Oct 2010 according to 20-month waiting time that's been quoted. Expect this will give us about 12-15 months to sell up & arrange to emigrate. Would like to be in Oz Jan 2012 and have our last Xmas with family in UK.

I understand you're given 12 months in which to sell your home in the UK - can anyone tell me whether this is from the CO is appointed or from the date on which your Visa is granted?

Cheers!

Just to say we received out acknowledement letter today - took about 5 weeks from lodging our 173 application. The letter stated that they were currently working on applications lodged in March 2009 so about 16 months at the moment to wait for a CO.

We posted our Contributory Parents (Class 143) Visa on 7th April 2009, acknowledgement received dated 21st April. Still waiting for a CO to be appointed - expect this to be Sept / Oct 2010 according to 20-month waiting time that's been quoted. Expect this will give us about 12-15 months to sell up & arrange to emigrate. Would like to be in Oz Jan 2012 and have our last Xmas with family in UK.

I understand you're given 12 months in which to sell your home in the UK - can anyone tell me whether this is from the CO is appointed or from the date on which your Visa is granted?

Cheers!

Hi Sue

Not sure what you mean by this? Where did you get the information from? Could you elaborate please? All I know is that when you are asked for the second VAC you must pay this within 28 days.

Hi Linday - thanks for your reply. What I need to know is, once you've received your 143 visa, how long are you allowed to remain in the UK whilst selling your house? I read somewhere that you have 12 months from the date of your visa, but if you haven't managed to sell within that time, you had to 'step foot' on Australian soil in order for your visa to become validated.

Regards, Sue

Hi Linday - thanks for your reply. What I need to know is, once you've received your 143 visa, how long are you allowed to remain in the UK whilst selling your house? I read somewhere that you have 12 months from the date of your visa, but if you haven't managed to sell within that time, you had to 'step foot' on Australian soil in order for your visa to become validated.

Regards, Sue

Oh, I see, yes. Once you are granted your visa you then normally have 12 months from either the date of the police checks or the date of the medical, whichever is earlier, to validate your visa, i.e. you must enter Australia. You can do this with a holiday and then return to the UK. This is why it is advisable not to get the police checks or medicals done until asked.

You then have five years in which to move over to Australia permanently, during which time you can come and go as you please. Having said that, it is advisable to move permanently within 3 years, as, after the five years, if you then leave Australia for any reason you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa, unless you are a citizen. In order to get the RRV you need to have spent at least 2 out of the 5 years in Oz.

So to answer your question, you do not need to sell your house before you go to Oz to validate your visa if you don't want to.

Oh, I see, yes. Once you are granted your visa you then normally have 12 months from either the date of the police checks or the date of the medical, whichever is earlier, to validate your visa, i.e. you must enter Australia. You can do this with a holiday and then return to the UK. This is why it is advisable not to get the police checks or medicals done until asked.

You then have five years in which to move over to Australia permanently, during which time you can come and go as you please. Having said that, it is advisable to move permanently within 3 years, as, after the five years, if you then leave Australia for any reason you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa, unless you are a citizen. In order to get the RRV you need to have spent at least 2 out of the 5 years in Oz.

So to answer your question, you do not need to sell your house before you go to Oz to validate your visa if you don't want to.

Have always wondered why you could not go to the UK Australian Embassy to validate if the time frame goes against you, it's not as if you are compelled to fly Qantas to Oz and back.:confused:

Just to point out that the 5 years is from date of visa grant, regardless of when you validate.

Cheers!

Just to clarify; the terms of the visa don't require you to sell anything if you don't want to, even after validating and migrating. Lots of people do, to cover the cost of the visa and buying downunder, but it isn't a rule.

Cheers

Steve

Guest Lively
Hi Lively

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I have moved your thread into this big thread because we are trying to keep all of the Parent & CPV information together in one place.

Who have you received conflicting advice from, please?

DIAC take the child's age at the date of the decision about the visa, not the child's age at the time that the application is lodged, in order to make their own decision about whether a child of 18 or over is still a "dependent" or not. This being so, I suspect that they might well have the same attitude towards the payment of the 2nd VAC for a child as well.

Have you asked the Manager of the Parents Visa Centre exactly what he thinks DIAC's approach to this question is/ought to be? It is somewhat embarrassing for the Aussie Government that it takes them 18-24 months to grab the 2nd Instalment from a cash cow (a CPV applicant.) The reason is because their visa processing is so slow and it is widely said that a large part of the reason why CPV processing is so slow is because staff are being sent to do stints on Christmas Island, leaving the Parents Visa Centre short staffed.

Cheers

Gill

Okay folks, lovely Gill has kindly provided me with a contact at the parent centre and I've got a reply! I thought I post it here in case someone else has the same question.

With regards to dependent turning 18 while the visa is being processed, CO will determine if the dependent is an adult dependent. If he/she is, then the visa will be granted.

The amount of second VAC required depends at the time the application is lodged HOOORRRAYYYYYYYY :biggrin:

Current processing time is 18-20 months from lodgement.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lively, Pankit and others

A word of warning, if I may.....

The legislation is silent about the questions of payment in the situations that Lively and JuneMel have described in this thread (the latter affects Pankit.)

When the legislation is silent, DIAC relies on Policies instead. Policies can change overnight and they have already done so in relation to CPVs (in 2009) purely because the Minister for Immi's attitudes have hardened so Policies have been altered to suit his changes of mind.

I don't think that any existing applicant for any of the Parent or Contributory Parent visas ought to relax. Policy might well be on your side today but it might not continue to be on your side come this time next week.

Somebody on BE said the other day that she has heard that DIAC are doing a complete review of all their current Policies relating to Parent migration. (By "Parent migration" I mean every visa that somebody could choose if s/he counts as being a Parent for the purpose of applying for a visa for Oz.) Reviewing the Policies would definitely reveal all of the current "soft spots" in those Policies and I suspect that Minister Evans would instruct DIAC that he wants all the soft spots removed.

My advice is not to take anything for granted, even if you have heard good news today.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Lively

Hi Gill

It is true what you said and I have taken this into consideration too but it seems the only option we have at this stage is to take the risk? The fact we may be going to poll soon makes me more nervous. The only consolation I give myself is that the 2nd VAC is asked at the end when it is almost certain visa will be granted. Imagive if they want the whole amount upfront irregardless whether the application is successful.

It's always the case isn't it? so much uncertainties.......

It's a shame the processing time has stretched to 20 months now. Things can change overnight, let alone in 20 months.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

It is true what you said and I have taken this into consideration too but it seems the only option we have at this stage is to take the risk? The fact we may be going to poll soon makes me more nervous. The only consolation I give myself is that the 2nd VAC is asked at the end when it is almost certain visa will be granted. Imagive if they want the whole amount upfront irregardless whether the application is successful.

It's always the case isn't it? so much uncertainties.......

It's a shame the processing time has stretched to 20 months now. Things can change overnight, let alone in 20 months.

Hi Lively

They will never want the 2nd Instalment up-front. The 2nd Instalment is a notional Contribution of 12.5% of the Parent's predicted future use of Health care and associated services in Oz as s/he grows older. That is why the Contributory Parent Scheme was invented by John Howard back in the late 1990s and it is the reason for using the word "Contributory" in the title of the relevant visas.

You can read about it all here:

Publications — Australian Government Actuary

There is no legal basis for demanding the 2nd Instalment unless the Aussie Government is certain that it intends to grant the CPV in return for the money. Also, DIAC do not want the administrative hassle of receiving and then having to return large chunks of money at a later date, plus Parents tend to be the canniest group of visa applicants out of them all when it comes to insisting on receiving payments of interest as well as capital.

At this stage you have no choice except to take the risk and hope for the best.

The Gillard Government wlll be re-elected, for sure. However increasingly strong rumours are saying that Gillard will not keep Evans as her Minister for Immi once a General Election is out of the way. Why is she having to try to coax East Timor into agreeing to a deal about asylum seekers herself? Why isn't her Minister for Immigration dealing with that for her? What is the point of Gillard keeping this geezer if she has to do his work for him as well as doing her own?

Cheers

Gill

Have always wondered why you could not go to the UK Australian Embassy to validate if the time frame goes against you, it's not as if you are compelled to fly Qantas to Oz and back.:confused:

Oh, can you do that? Or am I being naive?