Guest guest36187

Phoebe:

If you got them from the Register Office ("Identity and Passport Service") I think you'll see that printed on it is the fact that it's a "Certified Copy". As far as I know (any lawyers present to confirm?) that is sufficient. At least I hope it is – it's what we sent.

I don't know what you paid for your certificates, but I think the cheapest way is to order online at Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service. The cost there is £10 per certificate. Our took less than a week. You have to register as a user, but it's not too much hassle. You can pay by credit card.

Mike

Hi Mike

I ordered the certificates from the web site you mentioned (apart drom divorce paper which had to be ordered from the County Court in which is was heard even though it was over 30 years ago :eek:) and they are on their way as we speak :biggrin:

I ordered 4 birth certificates - 2 marriage certificates (previous marriage as well, I'm not married to 2 men at the same time :jiggy:) they were £9.25 per copy & £5 for divorce, The divorce copy has already arrived and does have certified copy stamped on it. I hope they have certified copy on the rest or its going to cost more money to have them certified.

Do you mind if I ask, when you sent your copies of originals, did you get yours certified? When did you send them off? Sorry for all the questions.

Phoebe

Guest austibeach
Hi Eric

A gollywobbler is the mizzen staysail on a gaff schooner. I've never sailed on a gaff schoone bit apparently a gollywobbler is a shivery, difficult sail to fly and most of the time it doesn't shove the boat along unless one is sailing on a reach or downwind.

The late (and in my opinion great) Bruce Fraser told me about it. He was a journalist for the Telegraph for many years - he used to write about sailing and snow-skiiing - and he was a sailing friend of mine. So was his widow, Ann Fraser, who was still alive in 1995 but I lost touch with her after 1995 so I don't know whether she is still with us. A friend of mine saw Gollywobbler II in the Solent recently but he doesn't know Ann so I don't know whether she is still about.

Ann Fraser Feisty Sailing Lady

They had two children and everyone knew that the trick with the Frasers was only to have one of them on your boat at any one time, otherwise they would fight each other and there would be chaos!

Ann had the money, which she inherited from her father. Bruce had the brains and the wit, plus the real knowledge. He had done all the stupid things in the 1950s. He had been chummy with Uffa Fox and these two sailed dingies from the Solent to Cherbourg together etc. When Ann bought Gollywobbler I, £5,000 would have bought a much better boat but since Bruce had offered the extra £5,000, that idea was not on!

I will always remember Bruce for an encounter at about 6.30am one Sunday when he was completely baffled by the idea that I intended to go yacht racing with his wife. He asked why? I said because Ann had been kind enough to invite me, of course. Bruce said earnestly, "But if you go racing with my wife, the only thing you will learn is how to tack and manoevre your vessel to the strategic advantage of coming last in the race. Why do you want to do that?"

I creased up. The bickering between them was legendary in sailing circles and this was typical Fraser bitching. When Ann did the two handed Transatlantic Race, she got a girl called Nancy to crew for her. We all agreed that Nancy didn't know a thing about boats and had no idea how to sail one. Anyone else and Bruce would have claimed that the crew had got his wife to the finishing line because he was not prepared to accept that Ann had any competence on a boat. With regard to Nancy, he went around telling everyone, "As you know, my relations with my wife are not of the best. Nevertheless, I wouldn't want her to drown!" Despite him and some nasty storms in the North Atlantic, both ladies survived and between them they got Gollywobbler to Newport (Rhode Island) in one piece.

It was true that Bruce was much the better sailor out of the couple but Ann had the money and the hardware, and she was determined to give it a go without him patronising her and treating her as a Clueless Little Woman. The rest of us chuckled. It was impossible to keep the peace between them so we just kept them apart on the water! They lived in Richmond, in a house adjoining the park. He lived upstairs. She lived downstairs. The house was converted into two separate flats because although I think they loved each other, they hated each other at the same time!

Cheers

Gill

Gill, as usual you answer with information aplenty, which I must say I found very interesting. Bruce and Ann Fraser sound like they may well be of Scottish stock and if so remind me of so many members of my own family, with the ability to love and loath a person simultaneously. I suppose I should have perhaps come across the term gollywobbler at some time over the years, having qualified as a Marine Engineer and spending ten years as lifeboat crew, but alas I have never sailed very often, so I can excuse myself.

I do hope that your mother is well and still enjoying being with her grandchildren and of course I sincerely hope that all is well with yourself.

Eric x

Hi Mike

Do you mind if I ask, when you sent your copies of originals, did you get yours certified? When did you send them off? Sorry for all the questions.

Phoebe

G'day Phoebe

We sent off the originals, just as they came from the Register Office; I guess we won't find out if they are acceptable until we get a CO – then we'll probably be too senile to remember what we sent! (No – actually we kept photocopies of everything we sent.)

Seriously, I think you'll be all right not getting them certified, so long as they are the original copies, not photocopies of the originals.

We sent our application off about 17 June (by air courier), and it arrived on 21 June according to the courier company – but the official acknowledged receipt date was 22 June (2010). We used a courier rather than GPO to make sure the papers got there before the 30 June price increase for 1st and 2nd VACs. Otherwise we would have used 'Airsure'.

Having said that, if all goes well we will still have to pay extra for the 173 > 143 visa 'upgrade'. We went for the former initially to gain some financial flexibility, but fully intend to go for permanent residency eventually.

Where are you headed, incidentally?

Best wishes, Mike

G'day Phoebe

We sent off the originals, just as they came from the Register Office; I guess we won't find out if they are acceptable until we get a CO – then we'll probably be too senile to remember what we sent! (No – actually we kept photocopies of everything we sent.)

Seriously, I think you'll be all right not getting them certified, so long as they are the original copies, not photocopies of the originals.

We sent our application off about 17 June (by air courier), and it arrived on 21 June according to the courier company – but the official acknowledged receipt date was 22 June (2010). We used a courier rather than GPO to make sure the papers got there before the 30 June price increase for 1st and 2nd VACs. Otherwise we would have used 'Airsure'.

Having said that, if all goes well we will still have to pay extra for the 173 > 143 visa 'upgrade'. We went for the former initially to gain some financial flexibility, but fully intend to go for permanent residency eventually.

Where are you headed, incidentally?

Best wishes, Mike

G'day Mike

I would assume if the originals you sent hadnt been acceptable they would have contacted you by now :twitcy: and I will be sending my papers by air courier as well, the first year my daughter and grand daughters went to Oz (August 2007) I sent 2 large parcels of Xmas presants in the ocotber so they got there in plenty of time, paid an absolute arm & leg for postage and they finally turned up in March 2008.............so I learnt my lesson re Royal Mail long ago :cry:

We will be heading for Queenslands Gold Coast as that where the family is. They are about a 20 minute drive from Surfers Paradise but we will proberbly go further inland, even if we are 1-1.5 hours drive away at least we can see them a lot more often :biggrin:

Just need to get these forms completed then join the Q..............by the way who certified your photos for you?

Phoebe

Guest hewett3

Hi that quote is correct - direct from the immigration dept web site re the 2010 -2011 numbers for each category - I think they also quote 11year wait list for normal parent visa (the cheap one!)

Guest hewett3
We applied on shore for our CPV in February 2010. Had medicals and police checks done the same month. Thought it would take 12-18 months but before we returned to the UK in April, were informed that the visa would be granted in June as soon as we returned to Oz and paid our final payment.

Hi Maisies - can I ask did you do your application in Aus when you were on 676 Tourist Visas? My Mum really wants to apply - she's 70 so contrib parent is really the only way to go. She will be over in Nov for 3 months so am thinking maybe I could do it all with her then. Your time frame is fantastic. More questions!! I assume you went back to UK paid the final installment and then had a period of time by which you had to return? Is that right? Thanks so much.

Hi that quote is correct - direct from the immigration dept web site re the 2010 -2011 numbers for each category - I think they also quote 11year wait list for normal parent visa (the cheap one!)

I read somewhere recently that the waiting time had now gone up to 22 years:swoon: Can't remember where I read it now Ive read so much:wacko:

Phoebe

Guest hewett3

Wow it has taken me over an hour to trawl this very very informative forum and I want to say thanks to all contributors - so now for questions!

On Shore applications:

Can they be done if you are on a 676 tourist visa and can you go home once they've lodged while you wait?

I assume that on-shore seem to take less time and are therefore worthwhile?

My mother is 70 and single so assume I use Aged Contrib Parent 884 which appears to be the same as an 'off-shore' 143 apart from a slightly higher 1st VAC.

Does anyone have any experience / insights for trying an on-shore application?

Thanks

Caroline

G'day Mike

...by the way who certified your photos for you?

Phoebe

I don't think the photos themselves need certifying, just have the name(s) written on the back.

We did have something else certified (forget what) but done (with rubber stamp and scribble!) by a solicitor's receptionist – FoC, as we have been doing some legal stuff with them. So I can't say what the going rate is. Check on the Immo website or Booklet 3 – I think even a pharmacist (if you have a tame one) is qualified to certify documents.

Best, Mike

On Shore applications:

Can they be done if you are on a 676 tourist visa and can you go home once they've lodged while you wait?

I assume that on-shore seem to take less time and are therefore worthwhile?

My mother is 70 and single so assume I use Aged Contrib Parent 884 which appears to be the same as an 'off-shore' 143 apart from a slightly higher 1st VAC.

Thanks

Caroline

I'm sure Gill (Gollywobbler) will answer this with great authority, but I think the quick answer is that it depends whether the 676 visa has a "no further stay" restriction – if so, it's no go.

I gather that one advantage of the 884 is that you can automatically get a bridging visa and stay in Oz until the application is processed. However, should it be eventually refused, the applicant has only a month to get out of Oz – which may well be more traumatic than being refused from a distance, as it were.

Best, Mike

Yes, there's an enormous amount of infomation feedback here from people who are going through it or have been through it themselves. Try also Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4 - Page 46 : British Expat Discussion Forum and other threads on that website. (I hope that doesn't get censored – if so, I'll send you the link privately.)

I assume you went back to UK paid the final installment and then had a period of time by which you had to return? Is that right? Thanks so much.

I don't think there is any need to go back for an onshore visa – but if applying offshore you have to be out of Oz when it's granted, so it's necessary to liaise with the Parent Visa Centre when the time comes, if you happen to be visiting Oz. I gather people in that situation often slip out to NZ/Singapore/wherever for the visa grant, then go straight back to Oz – if they can organise the final payment, that is.

Mike

I don't think the photos themselves need certifying, just have the name(s) written on the back.

We did have something else certified (forget what) but done (with rubber stamp and scribble!) by a solicitor's receptionist – FoC, as we have been doing some legal stuff with them. So I can't say what the going rate is. Check on the Immo website or Booklet 3 – I think even a pharmacist (if you have a tame one) is qualified to certify documents.

Best, Mike

Hi Mike

I have read booklet 3 but maybe need to read it through again :arghh: I can't think what else I would need to have certified if the original certificates are ok and the photos dont need to be certified....0 well plod on with form 47PA for now :jiggy:

Phoebe

Guest Cakey
Hi Mike

I have read booklet 3 but maybe need to read it through again :arghh: I can't think what else I would need to have certified if the original certificates are ok and the photos dont need to be certified....0 well plod on with form 47PA for now :jiggy:

Phoebe

Hi phoebe

We had to have our copies of our birth certificates, marriage license and passports certified also papers declaring our date of marriage and how many children resulting from this marriage. The solicitor said she would do a deal for us and only charge £20 for all the lot instead of charging for each one.

I was interested to see that you are heading for Queensland! So are we, my daughter and family live at Pacific Pines, about twenty minutes drive from Surfers Paradise?

Hi phoebe

We had to have our copies of our birth certificates, marriage license and passports certified also papers declaring our date of marriage and how many children resulting from this marriage. The solicitor said she would do a deal for us and only charge £20 for all the lot instead of charging for each one.

I was interested to see that you are heading for Queensland! So are we, my daughter and family live at Pacific Pines, about twenty minutes drive from Surfers Paradise?

Hi Mike

Sorry I was under the impression that you had bought and sent copies of the original certificates and didnt need to have them certified, did I misunderstand:wideeyed:

Well they say its a small world, I have heard of Pacific Pines, isnt there a large shopping centre there? I'm sure we have been many times. My daughter lives in Varsity Lakes her name is Emma husband Michael and two grand daughters Ella just turned 6 couple of weeks ago & Libby will be 4 in october, wouldnt it be funny if our daughters knew each other:biggrin: They arrived in Oz in August 2007, she was very active on this site and even arranged a 'meet up' for all the PIO's in Labrador, I have a picture somewhere of the PIO flag hanging in the trees:jiggy:

Phoebe

Form 47PA questions.

Part 34 asks what is the value of money, goods and assets which you and your partner intend to bring to Australia, does this mean everything we have i.e furniture, vehicle, money from sale of house etc??

Part 59 asks for name/sex/DOB/relationship status and country of residence of all brothers and sisters. I am from a large family and over the years have lost touch with many of them, I cant even remember most of their DOB so how do I complete that part??

Phoebe

Guest Cakey
Form 47PA questions.

Part 34 asks what is the value of money, goods and assets which you and your partner intend to bring to Australia, does this mean everything we have i.e furniture, vehicle, money from sale of house etc??

Part 59 asks for name/sex/DOB/relationship status and country of residence of all brothers and sisters. I am from a large family and over the years have lost touch with many of them, I cant even remember most of their DOB so how do I complete that part??

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

we also were unsure about what amount of money to say we were taking. we didn't include any household things or car money so we just put the amount of money we thought we would have left after the sale of our home after we have paid the visa money, but with the position of the housing market at the moment who knows what that might be? My husband comes from a large family and we had the same problem finding out the whereabouts and d.o.b of all his family.....We phoned the only one we keep in touch with and she phoned around for us...I don't really know why you have to give all those details.

Guest Cakey
Hi Mike

Sorry I was under the impression that you had bought and sent copies of the original certificates and didnt need to have them certified, did I misunderstand:wideeyed:

Well they say its a small world, I have heard of Pacific Pines, isnt there a large shopping centre there? I'm sure we have been many times. My daughter lives in Varsity Lakes her name is Emma husband Michael and two grand daughters Ella just turned 6 couple of weeks ago & Libby will be 4 in october, wouldnt it be funny if our daughters knew each other:biggrin: They arrived in Oz in August 2007, she was very active on this site and even arranged a 'meet up' for all the PIO's in Labrador, I have a picture somewhere of the PIO flag hanging in the trees:jiggy:

Phoebe

I phoned my daughter her name is Joanna her husband is Russell grandchildren Molly May and Jake. They moved to Adelaide 2007 and then to Queensland 2008. They have been to several 'meet ups' for all the PIOs including one in Labrador.

I phoned my daughter her name is Joanna her husband is Russell grandchildren Molly May and Jake. They moved to Adelaide 2007 and then to Queensland 2008. They have been to several 'meet ups' for all the PIOs including one in Labrador.

0h.... I wonder if it was the one Emma arranged in Labrador:biggrin: Will ask her tonight when she comes on the computer if she knows them, I have heard her mention a Jake but not sure how old he is, we have a few minutes every every day on MSN before she starts the school run:arghh:

Are you also heading for Queensland:smile:

Phoebe

Hi Mike

Phoebe

G'day Phoebe

I think you're getting Cakey and me mixed up!

We didn't get birth, marriage etc certs re-certified; haven't heard yet if they are acceptable – and probably won't until we get a Case Officer, I guess.

We're also "lucky" in having a very small family – Sue's half-sister is the only living relative to be declared (apart from our daughter and grand-daughters in Oz). I have cousins, but they are too "distant" to count.

As for money, I took the view that the estimated value of the property to be sold less costs, plus any savings left after paying visa fees, would be the figure to give.

BTW, as well as Booklet 3, do read carefully the notes on the first few pages of 47PA – they give info on completing the form, certified copies, etc.

Mike

G'day Phoebe

I think you're getting Cakey and me mixed up!

We didn't get birth, marriage etc certs re-certified; haven't heard yet if they are acceptable – and probably won't until we get a Case Officer, I guess.

We're also "lucky" in having a very small family – Sue's half-sister is the only living relative to be declared (apart from our daughter and grand-daughters in Oz). I have cousins, but they are too "distant" to count.

As for money, I took the view that the estimated value of the property to be sold less costs, plus any savings left after paying visa fees, would be the figure to give.

BTW, as well as Booklet 3, do read carefully the notes on the first few pages of 47PA – they give info on completing the form, certified copies, etc.

Mike

G'day Mike

I have looked back on the post & yesr your right I was getting you mixed up sorry :cry:.

I must read back through booklet 3 and the notes on 47PA, There is so much info to absorb I think I kind of rushed into getting the form completed.........not a good move in this instance, considering I was told the certificates were going to take 3 weeks:swoon:

Oh and BTW spoke to my daughter last night its seems Pacific Pines is the housing estate and Pacific Fair is the shopping centre I was getting it mixed up with. Seem to be doing that a lot lately :wacko:

Nice deep breaths.....calm down.....beging again........:wink:

Phoebe

On form 47PA it states

'Offshore visa

applicants are encouraged to forward all documentation to their

sponsor for them to send the visa application to the PVC'

have others done this or just sent them directly by courier?

Phoebe

On form 47PA it states

'Offshore visa

applicants are encouraged to forward all documentation to their

sponsor for them to send the visa application to the PVC'

have others done this or just sent them directly by courier?

Phoebe

I think it's simply a matter of convenience and timing.

We got our completed sponsor's form froim our daughter, did ours and sent from the UK, as we were approaching the end of the year (end June).

Mike and Sue

Guest sas75

Hi,

I have read a few posts with interest regarding parent migration. I wondered whether there were any options for a permanent resident in Brisbane to sponsor her ill parent from the UK. She has emphysema and related complications and not a great deals of funds. I am half of her remaining family, and I would like to become her carer. Do I have any visa options available for her?

Hi,

I have read a few posts with interest regarding parent migration. I wondered whether there were any options for a permanent resident in Brisbane to sponsor her ill parent from the UK. She has emphysema and related complications and not a great deals of funds. I am half of her remaining family, and I would like to become her carer. Do I have any visa options available for her?

Hi welcome to the forum.

The best one to answer your question is Gollywobbler she is very informed and dealt with her mum's application. I'm sure she will reply as soon as she picks your post up :biggrin:

Phoebe

G'day Phoebe

G'day Mike

I sent the immi office another email and a really nice guy rang me from there this morning :cute: to tell me that if I have bought 'originals' I would not need to have them certified, and, even though the information tells you not to send the originals he said it didn't mean they would not accept them and they are returned after the process if finished.

So to sum up the documents you sent and I am sending are acceptable :biggrin: another hurdle jumped :jiggy:

Phoebe