Guest guest36187

Only asking because I don’t know, but can you start a 173 to 143 application before you have even been to Australia to validate the 173? 

I thought visas weren’t fully active until validated and I have heard/read other people saying they would start the application as soon as they landed in Australia after validation. 

• Like 1

You have to enter Australia to activate a 143 (and start your PR) but immi is not so clear with the 173 visa. You don't have to be onshore to apply for the 143, you only need to have your 173 granted. But I'm not sure if the 173 visa is granted from the date of the conformation email or when you first 'clock in'. Any clarification would be welcome.

I found this on Alan Colletts excellent website and hope he will not mind me copying it here for clarification. If this is incorrect behaviour,  please would admin delete the post. Please note the words “once in Australia”  - this would imply you have to validate your 173 visa by entering Australia before you can submit a 143 application  

It is possible to adopt a two stage strategy towards permanent residency, by applying for a temporary residency visa first under subclass 173 and then applying for a permanent residency visa under subclass 143 once in Australia. This allows for the large Visa Application Charge payable to the Department of Immigration to be split, although it is probable that the total VAC payable will be higher, as VACs usually increase at least one each year.

Edited by LindaH27

So I’m not sure how immi will deal with  @freedy50 143 application in December last year when they won’t validate 173 till March this year? It may be best to get clarification from an agent as you would not want to run the risk of the application being thrown out or it’s application date being  changed to a March date after you’ve entered. I hope you can sort this out, I wish you well. 

30 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

So I’m not sure how immi will deal with  @freedy50 143 application in December last year when they won’t validate 173 till March this year? It may be best to get clarification from an agent as you would not want to run the risk of the application being thrown out or it’s application date being  changed to a March date after you’ve entered. I hope you can sort this out, I wish you well. 

I'm doing it through an agent, who I've been dealing with for over 4 years now, and they haven't said it can't be done.

The 173 was granted on the 30th November and after I received that I told my agent to continue with the 143 visa. I've now got a letter dated the 28th December stating  "Acknowledgement of a valid application for a Contributory Parent (Migrant) (class CA) Contributory Parent (subclass 143) visa."  The Date of Visa Application on it is 19th December. I'm sure they're well aware through their computer systems that my 173 hasn't been validated yet and haven't rejected this application.

Edited by freedy50

Then I hope all goes well for you! I know there are members of this forum waiting  for 173 and subsequent 143 visa so Im sure they would be interested too. Thank you for letting me know. I like to learn as much as I can about the visas, it helps pass the time whilst waiting! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Then I hope all goes well for you! I know there are members of this forum waiting  for 173 and subsequent 143 visa so Im sure they would be interested too. Thank you for letting me know. I like to learn as much as I can about the visas, it helps pass the time whilst waiting! 

Just to add. My original idea was to wait the 2 years, get some interest on our money, then apply for the 143. However, it seems it's better to be a Permanent Resident to buy a house and get the grants they do so have started the procedure quicker. At the moment as we want to buy a house when we're there, we're classed as a "foreign buyer" and, I believe, have some obstacles in buying one. Unless I've read the details about it completely wrong?

2 hours ago, freedy50 said:

Just to add. My original idea was to wait the 2 years, get some interest on our money, then apply for the 143. However, it seems it's better to be a Permanent Resident to buy a house and get the grants they do so have started the procedure quicker. At the moment as we want to buy a house when we're there, we're classed as a "foreign buyer" and, I believe, have some obstacles in buying one. Unless I've read the details about it completely wrong?

The obstacle is that you have to apply to the Foreign Investment Board (FIRB) for permission to buy.  I think the application fee is around $5,000 (but don't quote me!) and obviously there's a wait to get approval, but once you've got that, you're good to go.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The obstacle is that you have to apply to the Foreign Investment Board (FIRB) for permission to buy.  I think the application fee is around $5,000 (but don't quote me!) and obviously there's a wait to get approval, but once you've got that, you're good to go.

Yep. that's why I'm trying to get a 143 quicker which probably wont be. Looks like we'll be renting for some time.

10 hours ago, freedy50 said:

Yep. that's why I'm trying to get a 143 quicker which probably wont be. Looks like we'll be renting for some time.

Maybe not a bad thing to be renting for a while when considering the way house prices are falling in Australia. I have seen some 'experts' forecasting the crisis will worsen this year with a 40% overall fall. You may end up with a bargain.

I don't know much about global connectivity but there appears to be a housing crisis developing in a many countries simultaneously from Scandinavia to Asia and Canada to Australia (including London). Very strange and difficult to understand why this is happening now, but it's probably not the best time to buy. 

On 21/01/2019 at 00:37, Rosiejaq said:

Maybe we should all practice being positive like the aussies so we’re ready for our new lives! ☺️

@Rosiejaq Have you received an invitation to provide further documents from IMMI as yet? It looks like all July 2015 lodgers have already received their Invitations  from IMMI on Last December.

Ryan

• Confused 1

On 17/01/2019 at 10:10, Britgirl29 said:

Australia imposes a tax levy if you don't get insurance within a year of being here on a bridging visa so it made sense to get it when they arrived.

Do you have any more information / links on this? I haven't come across this before.

Edited by billynomates
Removed irrelevant text from quote

14 minutes ago, billynomates said:

Do you have any more information / links on this? I haven't come across this before.

It's called the Lifetime Health Cover - the section called New migrations in this link has more details 

https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/lifetimehealthcover.htm

It says full Medicare cover so it may not apply on a bridging visa as they are on a reciprocal medicare card, but my parents wanted to get private health insurance anyway particularly as my Mum needs a knee replacement. 

And I was wrong it's not technically a  tax, you just pay extra insurance fees 

• Like 1

Sorry if these has been asked before. We are converting from 173 to 143 and have been asked to apply for AOS.

Question: is the date of visa application our original 173 date or date we applied for the 143 conversion the date we use as our visa application date for AOS purposes?

Reason being our son was a child when we applied for 173 but an adult when we applied for the 143 so if original date then AOS application is only for 2 but if the later date of our conversion 143 application then it’s 3 adults. 

Question: If its 3 adults do we need a separate AOS application from another assurer? 

Question: If so does that mean we have to pay $14k for a joint one and a further $10k for the separate one. 

6 minutes ago, CEJ said:

Hi, 

Can anyone give me info on switching from 173 visa to 143. My 173 application has  now been in 38 month and just wondered if switching over without loosing my waiting time is a option ? 

Thanks in advance CJ 

I don't think it's a good idea at this stage. My 173 came through last November  in 41 months.

I was going to wait the 2 years to start the 143, but because of the rules about house buying I started it as soon as I got the other one.

13 minutes ago, freedy50 said:

I don't think it's a good idea at this stage. My 173 came through last November  in 41 months.

I was going to wait the 2 years to start the 143, but because of the rules about house buying I started it as soon as I got the other one.

Thanks for your reply, yes applying straight away for 143 is  first on the list, no brainer really. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

On 24/01/2019 at 14:53, Skeelsy said:

Sorry if these has been asked before. We are converting from 173 to 143 and have been asked to apply for AOS.

Question: is the date of visa application our original 173 date or date we applied for the 143 conversion the date we use as our visa application date for AOS purposes?

Reason being our son was a child when we applied for 173 but an adult when we applied for the 143 so if original date then AOS application is only for 2 but if the later date of our conversion 143 application then it’s 3 adults. 

Question: If its 3 adults do we need a separate AOS application from another assurer? 

Question: If so does that mean we have to pay $14k for a joint one and a further $10k for the separate one. 

For AOS , it's 143 lodgement date.

For your child's AOS., it should be mention on letter issued by immigration whether you have to pay for your child or not.

Usually immigration looks at circumstances  when you applied for 173.

For 3 there should be 2 assurers . Also bond will be 10k for primary and 4k for secondary applicants each.

57 minutes ago, CEJ said:

Hi, 

Can anyone give me info on switching from 173 visa to 143. My 173 application has  now been in 38 month and just wondered if switching over without loosing my waiting time is a option ? 

Thanks in advance CJ 

Don’t do it. If you apply for 143 before you have been granted 173, you have to cancel 173 and start afresh with new queue date for 143 so means starting in the queue all over again!!