Guest guest36187

12 months after our application was acknowledged there is now some activity. Received an email on Saturday morning to say that we will be allocated a CO in the next few months and to arrange for our medicals and Police checks. They also asked for our sponsor to contact Centrelink. Figures crossed we don't have the same problems as others have recently experienced with Centrelink!

Anyway good luck to everyone! Angie

WOW Angie, I dreamt we had that email today, and was up at 5 a.m. to check - obviously I must have been dreaming of you!!!!! At last, something is moving, can't help but feel even more excited now! I've just noticed your heading to Redland Bay - so are we hopefully, fingers crossed. Our daughter lives there. We love the village feel.

I do hope we all don't have tooooo long to wait for a CO now that we are all getting so much closer, although someone posted on here a few days ago that their acknowledgement letter said they were allocating for April 2011. Fingers crossed.

Val x

Val x

WOW Angie, I dreamt we had that email today, and was up at 5 a.m. to check - obviously I must have been dreaming of you!!!!! At last, something is moving, can't help but feel even more excited now! I've just noticed your heading to Redland Bay - so are we hopefully, fingers crossed. Our daughter lives there. We love the village feel.

I do hope we all don't have tooooo long to wait for a CO now that we are all getting so much closer, although someone posted on here a few days ago that their acknowledgement letter said they were allocating for April 2011. Fingers crossed.

Val x

Val x

Hi Val. You shouldn't be too long before you hear something too! Our daughter also lives in Redland Bay and loves it.

Things do seem to be moving so I'll keep my figures crossed for you. Angie

Hi Angie, They must be doing things differently at DIAC now. When we were asked to get our medicals done and our police certificates last September the letter was actually from our CO and we had our visa granted a few weeks later. Maybe this new system saves all the rushing around like headless chickens later on. Certainly, for us, getting an appointment for the medicals took some time. At least you can be a bit more leisurely doing it this way. Good luck with it all!

Val x[/quote

Hi Val, Yes I think you're right they appear to be doing things differently maybe to speed the process up. The email says that they haven't looked at our application yet to ensure we qualify so this means if a parent does not pass the BOF and the 'settled period' then the cost of the medicals etc would be wasted if the application was then declined! Makes you wonder if it is good idea or not! Angie

Hi All,

Finally, daughter has managed to speak to somebody at Centrelink. She was told that they have a standard time of 28 days from handing in the forms to the interview letter being sent out. So, if by 4th July she has heard nothing, she has to get back in touch. They would not give her a contact name or a landline number.

I'm wondering why then, does DIAC only give 28 working days from the date of their letter (which they posted to me in the UK)? They were amenable to the extra time but its not rocket science to give more time in the first place. Surely they must know Centrelink are slow! GGGRRRRR!

Oh well, at least the sun is shining here today!

Is this another element of the process which could be "front loaded" to save time at the end?

Good luck everyone! Val x

Thanks Mike, great to know that - I was busily adding on another row of noughts to the 'shopping list' to cover the medical insurance......

So far I have arrived at a figure of about £80,000 (to include the bond in Aus. that our daughter will have to provide) I am getting warmer?

Once again, I am in awe of the speed and helpfulness of the replies from members of this site. Gives me hope for the future!

Oh and the sun has come out in Wales for the third time this week!!! My cup runneth over :-)

Kath

Hi Val, Yes I think you're right they appear to be doing things differently maybe to speed the process up. The email says that they haven't looked at our application yet to ensure we qualify so this means if a parent does not pass the BOF and the 'settled period' then the cost of the medicals etc would be wasted if the application was then declined! Makes you wonder if it is good idea or not! Angie

Hi Angie, It sounds like you're heading for the same area as us (daughter lives in Manly/Wynnum). I agree, I would be a bit hesitant on the medicals because of the cost BUT if you are sure that all the other things are in order, there is no harm in having them done a bit early I suppose.

Val x

Hi

How things seem to have changed since we were at this stage. My son took the forms into Centrelink and was interviewd straight away. He then shot off to the Commonwealth Bank and deposited the bond. All done and dusted on the same day. Don't know if his central Sydney location made a difference but 28 days is silly.

Besty of luck

Charlie

I have posted this inquiry elsewhere but it was suggested that this might be a more appropriate place.

My wife and I are both in receipt of UK State and Occupational Pensions paid monthly into a UK bank current account.

We are now living in Australia.

Has any one any experience of the advantages and more importantly the disadvantages of having pensions paid directly into an Australian Bank?

I can see the advantage of automatic transfer with no further action needed on my part, but disadvantages may be that my Australian bank may impose charges for the service (I shall check with them) and also there may be punitive rate of exchange imposed on conversion from £ sterling to Australian dollars.

Any comments gratefully received,

Tony

Hi Angie, It sounds like you're heading for the same area as us (daughter lives in Manly/Wynnum). I agree, I would be a bit hesitant on the medicals because of the cost BUT if you are sure that all the other things are in order, there is no harm in having them done a bit early I suppose.

Val x

Hi Val. Yes it is the same area. Our daughter has recently moved from Manly West and now lives in Birkdale (closer to the kids school in Wellington Point) We haven't been over since they moved so not sure what it's like in the new area but we know Wynnum and Manly well and it's lovely there. We are really looking forward to going now but also sad to leave family and friends. We still have a son living in the UK - luckily he is very supportive of our decision to live in Oz but it's still difficult. We have booked our medicals for next Thursday and the police check forms went today.

Still keeping my figures crossed that you will hear something soon. Keep us posted! Angie

Hi Val. Yes it is the same area. Our daughter has recently moved from Manly West and now lives in Birkdale (closer to the kids school in Wellington Point) We haven't been over since they moved so not sure what it's like in the new area but we know Wynnum and Manly well and it's lovely there. We are really looking forward to going now but also sad to leave family and friends. We still have a son living in the UK - luckily he is very supportive of our decision to live in Oz but it's still difficult. We have booked our medicals for next Thursday and the police check forms went today.

Still keeping my figures crossed that you will hear something soon. Keep us posted! Angie

Hi Angie, Welly Point is my favourite area. Birkdale is really nice too. The British shop and chip shop are there and my son in law works at the railway station most evenings, although he can be sent anywhere between Wynnum and Cleveland. Not sure how close to the bayside we will be able to afford to live but we can dream!

We have another daughter but she is currently living in S. Korea teaching English so maybe one day she might be able to join us if she wants to in a few years.

Hope the meds go well for you, luckily the police checks are very quick. As for us, we have our extra time now so Centrelink can take as long as they need. Just means more interest for us till we get the nod to transfer it all.

We are going for a holiday at the end of November to meet the new baby so there will be lots of research to do re housing and jobs etc.....

You're on the home straight now - nearly there.

Val xx

Hi Angie, Welly Point is my favourite area. Birkdale is really nice too. The British shop and chip shop are there and my son in law works at the railway station most evenings, although he can be sent anywhere between Wynnum and Cleveland. Not sure how close to the bayside we will be able to afford to live but we can dream!

We have another daughter but she is currently living in S. Korea teaching English so maybe one day she might be able to join us if she wants to in a few years.

Hope the meds go well for you, luckily the police checks are very quick. As for us, we have our extra time now so Centrelink can take as long as they need. Just means more interest for us till we get the nod to transfer it all.

We are going for a holiday at the end of November to meet the new baby so there will be lots of research to do re housing and jobs etc.....

You're on the home straight now - nearly there.

Val xx

Thanks for your lovely post Val! It's good to know that we are not alone in all this. Angie x

I have posted this inquiry elsewhere but it was suggested that this might be a more appropriate place.

My wife and I are both in receipt of UK State and Occupational Pensions paid monthly into a UK bank current account.

We are now living in Australia.

Has any one any experience of the advantages and more importantly the disadvantages of having pensions paid directly into an Australian Bank?

I can see the advantage of automatic transfer with no further action needed on my part, but disadvantages may be that my Australian bank may impose charges for the service (I shall check with them) and also there may be punitive rate of exchange imposed on conversion from £ sterling to Australian dollars.

Any comments gratefully received,

Tony

Hi

Go for it. My wife has her UK Government pension paid directly into our Aussie bank (NAB) and it works a treat. Rhe money comes through on time and the exchange rate is quite competitive.

Charlie

Hello Everybody

I'm really hoping for a bit of moral support from members of the CPV thread as I am feeling completely desperate and down about how long this whole process appears to take.

I've only recently submitted all my paperwork for a 143 CPV. I did an offshore application so I sent everything off to my daughter/sponsor and she added her bits and took the papers in, probably about 8-10 days ago now, so they're in the system. I don't know what ever gave me the idea that this process was quicker than it is! I recall seeing posts (or thought I'd seen posts) where people had waited between 7-9 months. Perhaps at the time I just didn't understand the terminology well enough and maybe these people were just reaching another significant milestone or something, because I certainly now can't find anything to suggest any such thing.

I am applying to join my only child who has lived in Aus for 5 years now, is married to a lovely man and I am now the very, very proud grandparent to my muchkin grand daughter aged 16 months already! Funny how time flies when you're watching a child grow through photographs/skype but absolutely crawls along when you're waiting for papers to be processed. As soon as I set eyes on her aged 4 days, I knew I couldn't live without her. I simply cannot be this far away from her for any great length of time. She has been to the UK twice in her little life already and I'm going back in August for 3 weeks ....... CAN'T WAIT.

I took voluntary redundancy from work at the end of March to get the money to pay for the 143, so that is sorted. Mind you, I thought I'd get another job quickly and haven't managed to yet. Soon after I sent the paperwork off to my daughter I contacted an estate agent, because I started worrying that I wouldn't be able to sell my house before the visa came through (ha!). I told them my plans and they suggested putting it on the market now to see if there were any takers. It's a nice house, but I was still gobsmacked to have a full asking price offer in 6 days! So, I've sold my house and they want possession by end of September - fair enough. I've got the money to pay for the Visa; I've got no job so really, could be gone as soon as this thing happens. But it's not going to happen any time soon is it folks?

My heart is in my feet right now and I can't shake myself out of it. I read something on here about a one year visa and I don't know if that can apply in my circumstances. Does anybody know whether, having already filed an application for a permanent visa, I can now apply for the one year visa and get a job in that time then come back and wait out my time until the 143 is granted; or can that visa act as a bridging visa (another term I've seen referred to on here)?

Any help from anybody gratefully received.

I am 52, usually full of beans and very positive and optimistic, but I just can't pull anything out of the bag to put a positive spin on things. I should be pleased that I've sold my house straight away but now I'm just going to be homeless, as well as unemployed and a million miles from my little lovely.

Sorry to bring down the mood everybody.

Angela

Hi Angela, I know exactly how you feel about the length of time of this application. I applied for a 173 (temporary Parent Visa) last September, would love to apply for the 143 but dont have the funds. I thought I was going to be going soon, but got word from DIAC today that it will be 3 to 5 months before I get a CO, am unemployed so the time is just dragging. On a positive note you have August to look forward to. Its a long road but you have your young and have a long and happy time over there to look forward to. Keep the chin up. Sorry can't be of any help re the one year visa. I have been told ok that you can get a long term visitor visa and my son was telling me that you can do a visa run for about 300 dollars to New Zealand, it would be a late flight at night and back the next day to validate your visa if you were in Aus when the visa came thro. Keep the chin up. Fran (A gatecrasher from Ireland on the PIO page).

Hello Everybody

I'm really hoping for a bit of moral support from members of the CPV thread as I am feeling completely desperate and down about how long this whole process appears to take.

I've only recently submitted all my paperwork for a 143 CPV. I did an offshore application so I sent everything off to my daughter/sponsor and she added her bits and took the papers in, probably about 8-10 days ago now, so they're in the system. I don't know what ever gave me the idea that this process was quicker than it is! I recall seeing posts (or thought I'd seen posts) where people had waited between 7-9 months. Perhaps at the time I just didn't understand the terminology well enough and maybe these people were just reaching another significant milestone or something, because I certainly now can't find anything to suggest any such thing.

I am applying to join my only child who has lived in Aus for 5 years now, is married to a lovely man and I am now the very, very proud grandparent to my muchkin grand daughter aged 16 months already! Funny how time flies when you're watching a child grow through photographs/skype but absolutely crawls along when you're waiting for papers to be processed. As soon as I set eyes on her aged 4 days, I knew I couldn't live without her. I simply cannot be this far away from her for any great length of time. She has been to the UK twice in her little life already and I'm going back in August for 3 weeks ....... CAN'T WAIT.

I took voluntary redundancy from work at the end of March to get the money to pay for the 143, so that is sorted. Mind you, I thought I'd get another job quickly and haven't managed to yet. Soon after I sent the paperwork off to my daughter I contacted an estate agent, because I started worrying that I wouldn't be able to sell my house before the visa came through (ha!). I told them my plans and they suggested putting it on the market now to see if there were any takers. It's a nice house, but I was still gobsmacked to have a full asking price offer in 6 days! So, I've sold my house and they want possession by end of September - fair enough. I've got the money to pay for the Visa; I've got no job so really, could be gone as soon as this thing happens. But it's not going to happen any time soon is it folks?

My heart is in my feet right now and I can't shake myself out of it. I read something on here about a one year visa and I don't know if that can apply in my circumstances. Does anybody know whether, having already filed an application for a permanent visa, I can now apply for the one year visa and get a job in that time then come back and wait out my time until the 143 is granted; or can that visa act as a bridging visa (another term I've seen referred to on here)?

I am 52, usually full of beans and very positive and optimistic, but I just can't pull anything out of the bag to put a positive spin on things. I should be pleased that I've sold my house straight away but now I'm just going to be homeless, as well as unemployed and a million miles from my little lovely.

Angela

Hi Angela, well, one thing you can be sure of on this thread, you are not alone, we all have sons, daughters and most precious grandchildren all growing up without us. I'd really love to cheer you up and be able to tell you t won't take long, but I'm afraid to say that it seems to take approximately 15-18 months on average to get to visa grant. And the time will drag most of the time. There is nothing much you can do to speed up the process either. Sorry, that's the bad side, the good stuff is reading the positive posts on this forum, and generally trying to gather information for when you will need it. I am not an expert but I have picked up some good info. My application was received June 2011 and am ever hopeful to be allocated a Case Officer in the next few weeks. I have both a son and daughter in Oz and five granchildren who I haven't seen for over 18 months and its agony most of the time - I miss them all so much! Also we have not had any luck with the sale of our house so far. But fingers crossed not much longer to wait.

I believe you are in a very fortunate position regarding not working and the sale of your house and could easily wait out your time in Oz. I am pretty sure that if you read Booklet 3 on the DIAC website you will see that they are happy to issue you with a 3, 6 or 12 months visitor visa - e676 (you must inform them of your 143 application) and when the time comes of visa grant you "hop" over to NZ for a few day so that you are offshore. But you definitely cannot work on this visa.

I hope this helps, if I could wave a magic wand, I would!

All the best, Val x

p.s. Have you seen the Tracker? Check this out -

www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker

sad to leave family and friends. We still have a son living in the UK - luckily he is very supportive of our decision to live in Oz but it's still difficult. We have booked our medicals for next Thursday and the police check forms went today.

Hi Angie & Ted,

We're in Manly right now, doing a recce before our final move in September. Although everything is bliss, apart from the eye-watering apartment prices, we too will be sad to leave family and friends,especially our son who is 39 and still single. Hopefully,he'll be able to visit often!

Met some of the lovely ex-pats, Marian & Ian & Rachel at the Dee-Why RSL yesterday, who made us fEeL so at home.

All the best,

John & Eirian

Hello Everybody

Angela

Hi Angela, and welcome to our world of trying to wait patiently, i lodged last june 2011 and hope to hear soon of a case officer i am really impatient as my first granchild ( a boy ) will be born early October, i so desperately want to be there a little before he is born to be with my son and DIL for the end of thier pregnancy, i have just rented my home to a lovely family who seem to be settling in really well, i am now camping out in a bedroom in my daughters house they have just moved into so i am surrounded by boxes, clothes rails and dog beds. I still work so find myself working double shifts to pay for the dogs export, boxes to be shipped and flight and also to make the time go quicker until i get to board that magic plane. I also had a scare this year with a breast lump which thankfully was benign and had it removed April this year, i was terrified as you can imagine my plans would be scuppered i had all sorts going through my mind, but i am back on track and so grateful to be joining my son in Perth and living the life i so really want. It's a long wait but i can honestly say with having so much to do in hindsight it has gone fairly quickly.......although i moan it hasn't. If you get the chance to go for a year and can afford not to work then go for it and be with your little munchkin, life is to short. One thing i do know is you will get the support of any questions on here no matter how small or big, i wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. Ann

Hi Angie & Ted,

We're in Manly right now, doing a recce before our final move in September. Although everything is bliss, apart from the eye-watering apartment prices, we too will be sad to leave family and friends,especially our son who is 39 and still single. Hopefully,he'll be able to visit often!

Met some of the lovely ex-pats, Marian & Ian & Rachel at the Dee-Why RSL yesterday, who made us fEeL so at home.

All the best,

John & Eirian

Hi John & Eirian

Seems you have a similar situation to us then. Our son is 40, married and very content to stay here in the UK. At least we know he is happy so that's some comfort. I had to smile at your quote 'Eye-watering' apartment prices - we might just about manage to buy a garden shed at this rate!! - Good luck with your plans and the final move in September. Angie & Ted

I have some news at last! Received a letter in the post today from DIAC regarding getting medicals and PCC's done etc. HURRAY!!!! At last!!!! It states at the top of the letter "sent via email" - which I have not received, hence posted as presumably email would have bounced back to them as I noticed they have incorrect email address as "a01" instead of "aol" seems a bit of an odd error to me, but hey-ho! The letter also states a Case Officer will assess our application within four months. Happy Days!!!

Val x

Hi Angela,

Welcome to the club. I can really understand how you feel right now but I can honestly see so many positives in your situation. If you can afford not to work, perhaps you should look at the option of sitting the wait out in Australia as has been suggested on here. Then again, if there is any chance of getting a job here to help build up funds, the wait is bearable. You don't start to really bite your nails for some months yet. It also helps seeing everyone on here making progress. We're all missing our grandchildren so much but Skype is amazing and my oldest grandson (2 yrs old) knows and recognises us easily and today demonstrated his new found counting ability.

To summarise, yes this is tough but you CAN do it and you are amongst friends here.

Kim

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Hey Angela

Yes we are all in the same boat - desperately missing our families and thank goodness for Skype - we don't miss quite as much on their day to day lives. Although my application is in and they have taken the first payment - still not had acknowledgement letter yet. Because of the long wait I am also thinking now that because it will take about a year to get a case officer, I might just move over on the 12 month visit visa maybe this time next year, and await visa in Australia. I have also gone back to work part time to try and save some money for the big move

Cath