Guest guest36187

Guest ivarivar

Hi

I went through lot of stuff in here, just to check and get most rescent info.

Me and my sister in australia want our parents aged 70 and 62 to apply for CPV.

They are in india currently, I understand that 8503 clause may be applied and restrict them to apply an onshore CPV. Will they give any consideration for age and not apply for 8503.

Secondly if they apply for an offshore CPV, will they be granted an visitor visa ? are they both linked in some way?

Thanks

ivar

Hi

I think there is already a Contributory Parent Visa thread on here but hey we are willing to participate in anything to do with CPV. We have actually already applied for the normal parent visa but are thinking of switching to the CPV. We are just trying to work out the finances - will need to sell the house which is difficult in the current market and of course the exchange rate is not great.

Our biggest headache is trying to work out pensions and what and how to transfer these to Oz and whether we will be able to survive. Any thoughts or advice on this is welcome. We have already taken some professional advice but ended up more confused than ever!

Hi linday,

Well i have done all that you are about to do so if you want to PM me about anything in particular then fee free to do so.

In a nutshell though,and regards pensions, I did the following;

I opened a new "Cash only" pension fund in the UK pror to leaving, into this I transfered all of my various bits of pensions ( from different company's over the years). This makes it a lot easier to transfer once you have made the move. It's important to know that once you commit to a transfer into a suitable Superannuation fund then you are basically stuck with it and if you returned to the UK at a future date then you would be drawing your pension through your Oz pension and transfering that back through the exchange system ( Not good).

The downside that I experienced was that while the pension money sat in the new pension fund it made zilch in interest but amazingly I paid all sorts of transfer charges and also charges for " Managing" the account! these companies should all wear masks as it's robbery on a grand scale. I know that all companies which are holding your hard earned pension money are allowed to make a profit but when you consider what work is actually carried out then they must be charging a million an hour!!

Well turned into a bit of a rant i'm afraid.

Enough to say that you have to look carefully at ALL the hidden charges as it's not what they tell you they will charge it's what they don't tell you, using weasel wording and the knowledge that you the client is already on high dough with the stress of moving etc.

Guest sydboyz

Hi,

I am new to this forum, apologize if i post in the wrong thread.

My parents have applied contributory aged parent visa 2-3 years ago and were rejected due to health requirements was not met (my father is sick with liver cancer. It has been going for 3 years now).

Though all of their dependent children are in Australia with Permanent residency status, this still does not help.

If anyone has any idea or has been to similar situation, please advise me what to do.

I really wanted my parents to be in Australia caring for their grandchildren here and growing up as big family.

Many thanks!

Hi linday,

Well i have done all that you are about to do so if you want to PM me about anything in particular then fee free to do so.

In a nutshell though,and regards pensions, I did the following;

I opened a new "Cash only" pension fund in the UK pror to leaving, into this I transfered all of my various bits of pensions ( from different company's over the years). This makes it a lot easier to transfer once you have made the move. It's important to know that once you commit to a transfer into a suitable Superannuation fund then you are basically stuck with it and if you returned to the UK at a future date then you would be drawing your pension through your Oz pension and transfering that back through the exchange system ( Not good).

The downside that I experienced was that while the pension money sat in the new pension fund it made zilch in interest but amazingly I paid all sorts of transfer charges and also charges for " Managing" the account! these companies should all wear masks as it's robbery on a grand scale. I know that all companies which are holding your hard earned pension money are allowed to make a profit but when you consider what work is actually carried out then they must be charging a million an hour!!

Well turned into a bit of a rant i'm afraid.

Enough to say that you have to look carefully at ALL the hidden charges as it's not what they tell you they will charge it's what they don't tell you, using weasel wording and the knowledge that you the client is already on high dough with the stress of moving etc.

Hi Sid's Dad

thanks for talking the time to reply to my post. Yes, it certainly seems that the companies who help you transfer want a percentage of your hard-earned pension. We are aware that you cannot transfer back, but as my daughter is in Australia and has no intention of returning to England, and my son also intends to emigrate to Australia, we have made the commitment now. We have in fact now switched to the CPV.

We are hoping to visit my daughter in a few months and will be arranging to take some advice from various souces and then weigh everything up.

Hi,

My parents have applied contributory aged parent visa 2-3 years ago and were rejected due to health requirements was not met (my father is sick with liver cancer. It has been going for 3 years now).

Though all of their dependent children are in Australia with Permanent residency status, this still does not help.

If anyone has any idea or has been to similar situation, please advise me what to do.

I really wanted my parents to be in Australia caring for their grandchildren here and growing up as big family.

Many thanks!

A very difficult situation, for which you have my utmost sympathy.

I know that Gill (Gollywobbler) has a copy of an old (1995) copy of the oncology guidelines that are meant to govern medical decisions in such cases, and she may be able to advise you further, possibly by private message.

If you read back on this thread a month or so, you will come across some exchanges.

The very best of luck, Mike

Hi,

Many thanks!

You are in exactly the right place.

Gill (gollywobbler) has lots of information and I'm sure will pick your thread up soon.

I have health issues but am only in the early stateges of this venture but I do know Yomvard has more serious health issues than me and an agent initially said she would never pass a medical. She has just been granted her visa :jiggy:

If anyone can advise you, Gill can :wink: so don't loose hope yet.

Good Luck

Phoebe

Hi,

Many thanks!

My heart goes out to you. I know exactly how you feel as my mother was rejected also. I guess you have already appealed to the MRT with any fresh medical evidence in your father's favour.

In my mother's case we still got a negative result from the MRT, but I have heard of many people who have success.

The next step is Ministerial Intervention. This is a long drawn out road with many criteria to be met, but at least there is still a glimmer of hope.

It is very cruel that my mum cannot even get a visitors visa because of her medical problems known to the Oz government.

My very best wishes and lots of luck :hug:

Chris

It is very cruel that my mum cannot even get a visitors visa because of her medical problems known to the Oz government.

Chris

Good grief I didn't know that......is there no other option for your mum?

Just my personal opinion but I think that's disgusting not even letting her in to see her family:mad:

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi,

Many thanks!

Hi Sydboyz

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Are you 100% certain that your Parents applied for the Contributory Aged Parent visas, subclass 864 or 884? They would have had to have been in Australia at the time when they made the visa application and the whole thing would have been dealt with very quickly.

Are you sure that they did not simply apply for the ordinary, offshore, Contrubutory Parent visas subclass 143 or 173 instead?

I am puzzled because you say they made their visa application 2-3 years ago. If so, when were they rejected on the grounds of your father's ill-health? What has happened since the visa was refused? Where are your Parents at the moment, please?

Please could you clarify all this because it is not clear from your post exactly what has happened or when it happend.

Many thanks :notworthy:

Gill

Guest sydboyz

Many thanks for your kind responses.

I have been reading several posts in this form and found this site to be very useful.

My heart goes out to you. I know exactly how you feel as my mother was rejected also. I guess you have already appealed to the MRT with any fresh medical evidence in your father's favour.

In my mother's case we still got a negative result from the MRT, but I have heard of many people who have success.

The next step is Ministerial Intervention. This is a long drawn out road with many criteria to be met, but at least there is still a glimmer of hope.

Chris

To be honest, we did not actually appealed to MRT because we have gone to several migration agents and they told me the case is very slim.

Ministerial Intervention? Sounds very powerful, what is it and how do I apply for one?

have you explored any other way to bring your mum here?

hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Hi Sydboyz

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Are you 100% certain that your Parents applied for the Contributory Aged Parent visas, subclass 864 or 884? They would have had to have been in Australia at the time when they made the visa application and the whole thing would have been dealt with very quickly.

Are you sure that they did not simply apply for the ordinary, offshore, Contrubutory Parent visas subclass 143 or 173 instead?

I am puzzled because you say they made their visa application 2-3 years ago. If so, when were they rejected on the grounds of your father's ill-health? What has happened since the visa was refused? Where are your Parents at the moment, please?

Please could you clarify all this because it is not clear from your post exactly what has happened or when it happend.

Gill

Sorry for the confusion. You are right. They applied for subclass 143 visa and got refused.

After the visa was refused, they went back overseas.

We did not apply for MRT knowing people had done similarly and was rejected again at the end.

They are in Aussie at the moment on visitor visa subclass 679.

Guest Gollywobbler

Chris

Hi Chris

I agree with you that the situation is completely inhumane.

From DIAC's point of view, the problem is that your mother is over 75 and by your own admission, she can no longer manage adequately by herself. Therefore what DIAC perceive is an old lady with various medical problems who might get to Oz and become too sick to leave Oz once her visa expires.

Also, to be fair to the MOC, suppose they did let your Mum visit Oz for 6 months or even 12 months. How would it be for her if she then had to return to a life in the UK, once again struggling to fend for herself? It could be that there is an element in this of the MOC seeming to be cruel in order to be kind.

Do you have a Registered Migration Agent handling the application for Ministerial Intervention on yours and your mother's behalf? I would be grateful if you could please let me know.

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Many thanks for your kind responses.

I have been reading several posts in this form and found this site to be very useful.

To be honest, we did not actually appealed to MRT because we have gone to several migration agents and they told me the case is very slim.

Ministerial Intervention? Sounds very powerful, what is it and how do I apply for one?

have you explored any other way to bring your mum here?

hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Sorry for the confusion. You are right. They applied for subclass 143 visa and got refused.

After the visa was refused, they went back overseas.

We did not apply for MRT knowing people had done similarly and was rejected again at the end.

They are in Aussie at the moment on visitor visa subclass 679.

Hi Sydboyz

I have just sent you a Private Message. If you look towards the top right of your screen, just under your user-name, you should see a flashing icon next time you refresh your screen.

The PM has been sent from my end. If you do not receive it, please could you shout out on this thread?

There is some sort of restriction on new members sending PMs but as far as I know, new members can receive PMs even if you cannot reply. Hence I would be very grateful if you could please confirm receipt or otherwise on this thread because I know for sure that you can work the public threads OK.

Many thanks

Gill

Guest sydboyz
Hi Sydboyz

I have just sent you a Private Message. If you look towards the top right of your screen, just under your user-name, you should see a flashing icon next time you refresh your screen.

The PM has been sent from my end. If you do not receive it, please could you shout out on this thread?

There is some sort of restriction on new members sending PMs but as far as I know, new members can receive PMs even if you cannot reply. Hence I would be very grateful if you could please confirm receipt or otherwise on this thread because I know for sure that you can work the public threads OK.

Many thanks

Gill

Hi Gill,

I have just send an email to you. Please confirm if you have received it.

Many thanks,

Hay

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

I have just send an email to you. Please confirm if you have received it.

Many thanks,

Hay

Hi Hay

I have received your e-mail and I have replied to it about 2 hours ago. It if is not in your e-mail Inbox, please check your Spam folders as well in case it has gone into one of those.

Cheers

Gill

Chris

Just my personal opinion but I think that's disgusting not even letting her in to see her family:mad:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

Mum's only hope is a good outcome from the Ministerial Intervention application. As she has a serious medical condition, now known by the Oz govt, any other visa (incl e-visas) that she applies for, has to be checked against PIC 4005 (health).

She doesn't meet that criteria, so no visa.

I guess this must be a case by case rule as Sydboys parents appear to be back in Oz on a visitor visa, after being refused a CPV143.

Anyway, I'm a bit peeved cos I have cared for both my husband's parents in my home until they died of cancer, and now I have taken in my hubby's sick 82 year old bachelor uncle. (All Oz citizens). This would have saved the community a few quid, but isn't taken into consideration when I ask to do the same for my mum. Grrrr.

Such is life

Chris

Hi Chris

I agree with you that the situation is completely inhumane.

From DIAC's point of view, the problem is that your mother is over 75 and by your own admission, she can no longer manage adequately by herself. Therefore what DIAC perceive is an old lady with various medical problems who might get to Oz and become too sick to leave Oz once her visa expires.

Also, to be fair to the MOC, suppose they did let your Mum visit Oz for 6 months or even 12 months. How would it be for her if she then had to return to a life in the UK, once again struggling to fend for herself? It could be that there is an element in this of the MOC seeming to be cruel in order to be kind.

Do you have a Registered Migration Agent handling the application for Ministerial Intervention on yours and your mother's behalf? I would be grateful if you could please let me know.

Gill

Hi Gill

Youv'e hit the nail on the head here. However, if I had the luxury of hindsight, I would have brought mum in as a visitor years ago, then applied onshore maybe (or stashed her in the attic). LOL

I have handled the Ministerial Int app myself. It took a lot of research. We cannot waste any money on fancy agents or lawyers, it may be needed for mum's care in the UK if she's not accepted in Oz.

Regards

Chris

:biggrin:

Hi Phoebe

Mum's only hope is a good outcome from the Ministerial Intervention application. As she has a serious medical condition, now known by the Oz govt, any other visa (incl e-visas) that she applies for, has to be checked against PIC 4005 (health).

I guess this must be a case by case rule as Sydboys parents appear to be back in Oz on a visitor visa, after being refused a CPV143.

Anyway, I'm a bit peeved cos I have cared for both my husband's parents in my home until they died of cancer, and now I have taken in my hubby's sick 82 year old bachelor uncle. (All Oz citizens). This would have saved the community a few quid, but isn't taken into consideration when I ask to do the same for my mum. Grrrr.

Such is life

Chris

Hi Chris

I can understand what Gill is saying........but it just seems so wrong :frown:

I wish you all the luck in the world with the MI :biggrin:

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi

I went through lot of stuff in here, just to check and get most rescent info.

Me and my sister in australia want our parents aged 70 and 62 to apply for CPV.

They are in india currently, I understand that 8503 clause may be applied and restrict them to apply an onshore CPV. Will they give any consideration for age and not apply for 8503.

Secondly if they apply for an offshore CPV, will they be granted an visitor visa ? are they both linked in some way?

Thanks

ivar

Hi ivar

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I am 100% certain that it would be next-to-impossible to get a standard sc 676 Tourist Visa for your parents at this stage, let alone one that is not saddled with Condition 8503.

My sister Elaine lives in Perth. She is very friendly with an Indian lady called Marie. Marie's mother is a widow who lives in India on her own, where she has a full time job in a boarding school. I think she works as a part time teacher and part time Housemistress for some of the children. Marie is an only child. They had to move heaven & earth to get a Family Sponsored Visitor Visa sc 679 for Marie's mother and Marie's husband had to put up a sizeable Bond, apparently, just in case the mother failed to leave Oz once the visa expired.

Visa Options - Tourists - Visitors - Visas & Immigration

The good news is that if your Parents applied for an ordinary offshore Contributory Parent 143 or 173 visa, DIAC still wouldn't be easy about letting them visit Oz on a sc 676 visa but they would be easier about it than they would be if the CPVs had not been applied for. Plus the offshore CPVs are processed within 18-24 months, so it would not be an impossibly long wait and there would be nothing to prevent you and/or your sister from visiting India in the meantime.

DIAC would probably be easier about letting your Parents visit Oz once they have frontloaded their medicals and have demonstrated to DIAC's satisfaction that there is nothing wrong with either of them that would prevent the grant of the CPVs. This might mean getting 2 lots of meds done for each of them, though, because the meds only last for 12 months at a time.

I think that your best bet would be to consult a Registered Migration Agent who can prove that s/he has a lot of experience in the situation that you describe. Whereabouts in Oz do you live, please? If I know whereabouts you live, I might be able to suggest somebody suitable.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

Such is life

Chris

Hi Chris

In your shoes, I'd be more than "a bit peeved." I'd be flamin' livid with the Aussie Government. Please read the Submission by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, at #80 in the link below:

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/mig/disability/subs.htm

They are doctors so they know better than anyone else just how much money Governments save by the fact that most of the people who need care get it in their own homes, from members of their families and from charities such as Silver Chain in WA.

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/mig/disability/report.htm

The JSCM have recently recommended a radical shake-up of the Health requirement for migration. Their original Terms of Reference were confined to disability but PICs 4005-4007 treat disability as a "disease or condition," so there is no way to isolate disability from the rest.

The Inquiry was commissioned jointly, by Chris Evans when he was Minister for Immi and by Bill Shorten when he was the Minister for Disabilities. They have both moved on. The JSCM tabled its Report in June but there has been no response from the Government as yet.

Parliament of Australia: Senate Estimates

The Senate Estimates Committee meets on Tuesday 19th October 2010, when Chris Bowen will be in the hot-seat all day. He might say something then about the JSCM's Report.

I think the JSCM have done a brilliant job but I don't know that their efforts would necessarily help your mother.

Have you considered applying for a Family Sponsored Visitor Visa sc 679 visa for Mum?

Visa Options - Tourists - Visitors - Visas & Immigration

That is the visa that Sydboyz' parents are using even though his/her father has liver cancer?

Alternatively, would a Medical Treatment Visa be a goer for your Mum at all?

Medical Treatment - Visitors - Visas & Immigration

I don't know whether/how much of a difference the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between Oz and the UK might make in this situation:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

The above all said, it is still necessary to consider your Mum's own best interests. Visiting Oz on any sort of temporary basis might not be the best option for her, which I think should be borne in mind.

I note that you live in Perth, Whereabouts, please? My sister and Mum both live in Jandakot, close to the old airport. Is that anywhere near you?

Cheers

Gill

Guest ivarivar

Hi Gill

They were granted a family sponsored visa last time when they visited Oz with 8503 on it.

And it was just 2 years before.

My only worry was, should we apply for visitor visa get them here and then apply CPV onshore, but that would not be possible as most of them would have a 8503 on there visa right ?

secondly if they apply for CPV offshore wait for a month or so and then apply for a family sponsor visa they could come her and stay with us for 6-12 months, and go back by the time the 143 is granted and re-enter, but will DIAC process the family sponsor visa if there is a CPV already lodged was my doubt ?

Guest sydboyz
Hi Hay

I have received your e-mail and I have replied to it about 2 hours ago. It if is not in your e-mail Inbox, please check your Spam folders as well in case it has gone into one of those.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

I have received your email and will be reading them tonight.

My parents are currently living in Indonesia but my father had his treatment and follow up in China.

He had his liver cancer surgically removed and have been taking regular medication ever since.

They are on sponsored family visa sc 679. and he has condition 8503 on it. is there any other visa that would allow him to come here without that condition?

I have been reading about the medical treatment visa, will this be exempted from 8503?

Many thanks,

Hay

I only need to forget to check this thread for a few days and there are pages to go through! All good stuff but time is not on my side.

With a bit of luck I might get a reminder of posts now.

May have found a friendly home for our doggie in advance of our move - that was the only real obstacle, so fingers crossed.

Best wishes to all

Steve

I only need to forget to check this thread for a few days and there are pages to go through! All good stuff but time is not on my side.

May have found a friendly home for our doggie in advance of our move - that was the only real obstacle, so fingers crossed.

Best wishes to all

Steve

Great news Steve, good luck :cool: and thanks for 'the list' :wink::wink:

Phoebe

Best wishes to all

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm so glad that you have found a good home for your dog, it must have been a concern for you. All the best.

June (junejuno)

Guest Gollywobbler

Best wishes to all

Steve

Hi Steve

He he he he heh.

I do agree with you that this thread has become a bit heavy about meds issues etc.

The BE thread also has its own heaviness, though, with issues like the exchange rate (plus the perennial war between Marmite - which I love - and Vegemite, which I loathe as a substance but I do love Sirmatt to bits for the way that he punts Vegemite. Personally I find it quite hard to believe that anyone brought up with the taste of Marmite might actually like the taste of Vegemite - which tastes dreadful to me, but still.)

I'm interested in the way that the two threads are developing.

I think that your new website is fantastic. Brilliant. I'm a bit sceptical about the Snail Theory, though. I thought that your cartoon was a picture of a plane in a bit of a mess?

Which I reckon is exactly what is happening with the non-contributory Parent 103 and Aged Parent 804 visas, so I'm a bit confused by the Snail Theory.

I also think it is brilliant that Contributory Parents are finally beginning to organise themselves into groups.

I tried to ask the BERIA 410 Group - which is based in Perth - whether or not they could include my Mamma in their partying? I got the firm brush off because my own mother has a Contributory Parent visa, which seems to be the meat on the quasi-political bone.

Hopefully, once the PIP Group is up & running, they might be a little kinder towards Mum. She can't drive and she is now 90 plus wheelchair bound. Mentally, however, she can give somebody of 33 a pretty good run for his/her money.

I'm hoping that once the PIP Group is up and running, one of them might create a PIP website and that one of the ladies might live nearby and might not mind collecting Mum and taking her to some of the parties.

Mum only got her CPV 143 in 2006. However, she has been "living" in Perth since 1992. She knows the place like the back of her hand because she didn't become disabled until she became older. When she was younger, she used to trot around on the buses etc. Now that she is 90, I don't think it is reasonable to expect that anyway, plus she is now disabled so she can't get around by herself any more.

If nobody is willing to offer then nothing can be done. We know that and we do not demand anything. I merely hope....

Cheers

Gill