Guest guest36187

Immi website, on the 143 visa information page (http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx) states the following if you click on the 'what this visa lets you do' tab:

'travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).'

The minimum 2 years out of the 5 requirement is an eligibility requirement for the resident return. I would assume this requirement is not mentioned on grant letters for the parent visas as it is a requirement for the resident return visa itself and is not directly related to the grant of the parent visa, but like Priya said, it is inter connected. The eligibility requirement for resident return visas applies to all permanent visa holders, including parent visa holders, but you only need the resident return visa if you want to travel in and out of Australia (if you just want to stay in Australia and not travel yet, no worries, you don't need one).

My parents got their parent visas just over 5 years ago and just recently applied for their resident return visas as their 5 years travel was up and they want to go on an overseas holiday now. They had to meet the 2 out of 5 years requirement and they got a 155 visa - but I hear you can get a shorter resident return visa if you don't meet the 2 in 5 reqirement and I believe this is a 157 visa.

Vava I'm glad you brought this up, you must be sick with worry, having already obtained your visa.

We are still completely torn between our remaining elderly parent and our wish to sort out a 143 visa before we (possibly) become too unfit to pass a medical. We had thought that the five year clause would be our salvation, allowing us to acquire and validate a 143 visa while giving ourselves the flexibility to remain in the UK for a year or two if anything goes wrong with our plans for my sister to take over as mum's main carer. So the apparent requirement for a minimum period of residency within the five years is a bit of a facer for us too.

I find it very difficult to understand the ins and outs of the argument, but if my feeble brain has grasped it properly, you can travel in and out at will until five years from the date the 143 has been issued, but then you have to stay in Australia for a minimum of two years before you can do any further travelling. Can anyone tell me if I have got that right? It seems crazy to me that, on the one hand, you can be given five years to make the final move, and on the other, be hamstrung by a different set of rules on the other. Worrying.

Edited by Fisher1

Vava I'm glad you brought this up, you must be sick with worry, having already obtained your visa.

We are still completely torn between our remaining elderly parent and our wish to sort out a 143 visa before we (possibly) become too unfit to pass a medical. We had thought that the five year clause would be our salvation, allowing us to acquire and validate a 143 visa while giving ourselves the flexibility to remain in the UK for a year or two if anything goes wrong with our plans for my sister to take over as mum's main carer. So the apparent requirement for a minimum period of residency within the five years is a bit of a facer for us too.

I find it very difficult to understand the ins and outs of the argument, but if my feeble brain has grasped it properly, you can travel in and out at will until five years from the date the 143 has been issued, but then you have to stay in Australia for a minimum of two years before you can do any further travelling. Can anyone tell me if I have got that right? It seems crazy to me that, on the one hand, you can be given five years to make the final move, and on the other, be hamstrung by a different set of rules on the other. Worrying.

Hi Fisher,

I've had time to calm down and do more research and I think I've got my head around it all now. We come and go (hopefully just the go bit) as much as we like until October 2017. If, after that time we HAVE to leave Australia and we haven't lived there for 2 years, we have to apply on compassionate grounds. I only assume this as the only reason we would have to leave the country once we move there would be if we get a call from the UK with bad news.

There is no point worrying about something that either won't happen or hasn't happened yet. We gave enough on our plates right now just trying to sell our house in the forgotten north!

On a lighter note; my delightful grandaughters (plus my daughter and son in law)landed in Brittany tonight to see their other grandparents and then they're coming to visit us! Happy Days!

I'm sure it'll all turn out alright in the end, regards, Val

Hi Val

That's more or less what I thought - and you're right, there's no point worrying about something that hasn't happened /wont happen. Hopefully your house won't hang around too long now. The forgotten north is right though - we moved back here five years ago and our house is worth about 10% less than we paid for it!

Great that your family are coming to visit - those are the best times. We've had an awful year - many many probs. with my mum, but the thought of a visit from our daughter in October is just about keeping me sane.

Have fun! Kath

Has anyone used VEVO? How do we see our work right ( for subclass 173) on DIAC website? On DIAC website in CPV subclas 173 under Visa Holders, under what this visa lets you do, it is mentioned , you have work and study right under this visa. However, in vevo form you do not see any work right . It is difficult to apply for jobs if you do not have work right mentioned in vevo as the employers check your vevo online to confirm your work right in Australia.

Does any one have any information about this? Is anyone working in Australia in CPV 173?

Has anyone used VEVO? How do we see our work right ( for subclass 173) on DIAC website? On DIAC website in CPV subclas 173 under Visa Holders, under what this visa lets you do, it is mentioned , you have work and study right under this visa. However, in vevo form you do not see any work right . It is difficult to apply for jobs if you do not have work right mentioned in vevo as the employers check your vevo online to confirm your work right in Australia.

Does any one have any information about this? Is anyone working in Australia in CPV 173?

Hi Blueray, I dont know anything about VEVO, but I validated my CPV 173 in January 2013, have now applied for 143, I have been working in Australia since I arrived, the CPV has unlimited working rights.

Hi guys,

I sent my mum's 143 application in on 2th July and it was received by the department on 9th July(I found that out through Auspost's tracking website). It's beena month and a week but I've yet to hear from them. Is that normal?? Also, if the department decides to increase the price of the visa, would applications that have been received (but not acknowledged) be affected? I hope not!!

Hi guys,

I sent my mum's 143 application in on 2th July and it was received by the department on 9th July(I found that out through Auspost's tracking website). It's beena month and a week but I've yet to hear from them. Is that normal?? Also, if the department decides to increase the price of the visa, would applications that have been received (but not acknowledged) be affected? I hope not!!

HI

For what it's worth here is what I have managed to find out.

Our 143 was delivered by courier on 1 July 2014 and as yet no money has been taken for the 1st VAC.

I e-mailed the parent visa office in Perth and had a reply saying that they were acknowledging applications received on 1 June, this e-mail was dated the 1st August, they went on to say that they had a vast number if applications 3000 in four days in June against the usual 53 a day!

They said they would acknowledge as soon as possible.

I like you remain concerned about any potential price rise.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards

Steve

Guest geordie joe
HI

Our 143 was delivered by courier on 1 July 2014 and as yet no money has been taken for the 1st VAC.

I e-mailed the parent visa office in Perth and had a reply saying that they were acknowledging applications received on 1 June, this e-mail was dated the 1st August, they went on to say that they had a vast number if applications 3000 in four days in June against the usual 53 a day!

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the update. Looking at those numbers I guess the overall waiting has been extended some what.

regards

Joe

Hi Blueray, I dont know anything about VEVO, but I validated my CPV 173 in January 2013, have now applied for 143, I have been working in Australia since I arrived, the CPV has unlimited working rights.

Thanks summerdaisy. I am trying for jobs but in most of the places like banks and govt positions, they are asking for permanent residents or citizens. I have seen in the website that subclass 173 has work rights. As currently DIBP is giving electronic visa, they are keeping all details online on a system called VEVO where employers can see all applicants work rights. Anyway thanks again.

Hi all

Still tussling with the decision to swap from 103 to 143. We still have obligations in the UK and want the timing to be as prudent as possible. While we are considering the pros and cons, I have decided to do a bit more research re: cost of living since it will be a) more of an issue after we've coughed up the 143 visa fee and b) will presumably be an issue a lot sooner. Am hoping someone can tell me where to find out all the gruesome details of Australian health costs? We need to know basic costs (trip to doctor, standard prescription charges, trip to dentist, cost of check up etc etc) also the cost of paying for health insurance. Is there a web site we can visit?

I also need to find out about Australian income tax.

All suggestions gratefully received. If we really are going to pay all that money for a visa we need to be as sure as possible that we can afford to eat when we get there! We are very good at being poor, but rich is better :-)

Hi all

Still tussling with the decision to swap from 103 to 143. We still have obligations in the UK and want the timing to be as prudent as possible. While we are considering the pros and cons, I have decided to do a bit more research re: cost of living since it will be a) more of an issue after we've coughed up the 143 visa fee and b) will presumably be an issue a lot sooner. Am hoping someone can tell me where to find out all the gruesome details of Australian health costs? We need to know basic costs (trip to doctor, standard prescription charges, trip to dentist, cost of check up etc etc) also the cost of paying for health insurance. Is there a web site we can visit?

All suggestions gratefully received. If we really are going to pay all that money for a visa we need to be as sure as possible that we can afford to eat when we get there! We are very good at being poor, but rich is better :-)

Hi

Granting of a 143 visa entitles you to all Medicare benefits immediately on entry to Oz. Unfortunately dental costs and the provision of a free ambulance, should you need one ,are not included

If you google "average dental charges 2013- private health.gov.au" you will see tables by State, of the cost of each procedure

Ambulance costs vary greatly from state to state but as with dental work you can take out insurance to cover these eventualities

Google " income tax calculator 2014 Australia" where you can input your income and it will calculate your tax liability for you

Hope this is of some help

Cheers. Barry

Edited by Barry001

Hi all

I can confirm that dental costs are exorbitant here, an absolute ripoff I believe, so it would be a good idea to get any major dental work done before coming over. You can take out private insurance, but unless you have the highest level of insurance it will not cover all your dental costs and you will usually be left to pay the ‘gap’. You will also need to pay for any prescriptions, however, after 2 years as a permanent resident if you are over 65, you can apply for the Commonwealth Seniors Health card and then you will pay about $6 for a prescription I think. You also pay for visits to the GP so to avoid this you will need to find a doctor who bulk bills, at least bulk bills for seniors. Having said that Tony Abbot is trying to bring in a charge of $7 to visit the GP for everyone. I think in general the health costs are much higher than in the UK.

Your living costs will also depend on whether you want to rent or buy. Rents can be quite high – have a look at realestate.com.au for rental and house prices. If buying you will have to pay council rates and water rates. You can look up the rates for your desired area online. Then there is the cost of water used and also electricity which is quite expensive. We find we have to ration our air-conditioning in the summer as we find the cost too high. We are currently in a rental with a garden and pay quite a lot of money for reticulation in the summer, so we won’t be making that mistake again!

On the plus side, you may be eligible for a state Seniors Card, depending on which state you will be in. The concessions vary from state to state so you will need to check out what you can get. We are in WA and you can apply for this if over 60 and working less than 20 hours a week. We get free transport on buses, trains and ferries, however, I know that Queensland only give a 50% discount on fares. In addition we get a discount on rates if a home owner. I think Queensland also offers help towards dental costs. Also many businesses will offer discounts for seniors.

As for general shopping, things like white goods are expensive, so bring all those with you if you can. Cosmetics, toiletries and herbal remedies are also quite expensive but there are a few discount chemists around. With regard to everyday food items, you can save a lot of money by shopping around at local markets, rather than buying everything at Coles or Woolworths. There are also ‘bargain shops’ where you can get household essentials. So the rule is definitely shop around. Eating out is also quite expensive we find, although petrol is cheaper than the UK but we find we need to drive longer distances to get anywhere.

You need to bear in mind that if you receive a state pension then this will be frozen forever at the rate at which you start to draw it or are drawing it when you move to Australia. Plus you will be at the mercy of the exchange rate. Fortunately this has improved slightly since we came over here and so we have more Australian dollars at our disposal.

There is a lot to weigh up and it is difficult to know how much it costs to live here until you are actually here. It also depends on your lifestyle. Although written a couple of years ago you might find this useful: http://myob.com.au/blog/how-much-do-I-need-to-retire-at-60/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=article64

I SENT THIS EMAIL TO MY AGENT >>BUT HAVENT GOT ANY RESPONSE..I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF U GUYS CAN HELP ME

email \/

i have applied
Parent Contributory Visa 143
through agency in
March,2013.Im
in
last stages
of the visa,i have query that is worrying us as it may become obstacle for our visa. I would really appreciate if u guys can clear our doubts and reply with a satisfactory response.The query i would like to make are as follows:-

DEPENDENCY
- The date my father lodged this visa
, i was 17 yrs old and on this September ( 2014 ) im turning 19 yrs old
. As per the visa criteria, a dependent should be under 18 years old. My question is,
What age is considered for dependency? the age when i applied for visa or the age when my visa is verified by the case officer ?. At the same time I would also like to know the factors which can do to prove my dependency on my parents ?
I may also inform you that lst year i took admission in BA part !, under the correspondence course scheme conducted by the university. confirm if this correspondence course will satisfy the immigration authorities or not?

Other queries:-

Assurance of Support ( AOS )
- Till now, we haven't got a appropriate response by you or your agency.We haven't received a procedure for it or when we can apply for it. I have read through some forums related to aus immi that applicants before us, have already applied for it. I heard it takes a month to get AOS done ..is that true ? Please share any information about AOS, we would really appreciate.

As we are in the last stages, it is really tough to wait as there is mixture of excitement,curiosity and worry.
So please tell how much more time it will take for case office allotment?

Respectfully,

Richard coulls

Thanks for the advice Bridgeman. We have spent a bit of time over there in a house swap so feel fairly confident of our grasp of (extortionate) restaurant prices and (much higher) food costs. It was the other stuff, the utilities and the health costs that were bothering me because as you get older ... I also knew about the frozen pension scam ... pay in for donkeys years, save the govt a fortune by going off and taking your increasing health needs elsewhere ... and get your pension frozen for your trouble!!!

It was the frozen pension thing that actually prompted me to try to cost things out a bit more ... I really appreciate the info about seniors cards etc as well. It all helps. Thank you.

PS In a similar vein - do many seniors work part time in Australia? I currently have a part time job in a dress shop - social contact and a bit of extra dosh for 'fun' money - I know a lot of people around my age who do the same thing.

Yes, they do, but I think more in jobs which don't compete with the general workforce, eg leaflet and local paper delivering etc. There is quite a lot of age discrimination in Australia, especially in WA.

HI

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, hope all's going well. I'm just wondering if your 1st VAC has been taken yet? Our application was sent not long before yours, but with a bank cheque sent for payment, we won't see when payment is taken the same as if we'd provided card details. I guess with the vast number of applications (and money!!) they received in June things may slow down - I wonder how they will deal with the volume!! More staff? Faster processing? I guess only time will tell now. It would seem unfair that the "faster parent visa route" which is now the only option could end up taking much longer, especially with the large 2nd fee we have to pay. Look forward to hearing your news regarding the 1st VAC.

Regards

Amanda