Guest guest36187

Hi Val, thanks for the speedy reply. My son lives in Hemmant, its about 2 stops on the train from Manly. I was out there a few times last year, its beautiful, if its the same place with all the boats in the harbour. Its on the Cleveland train run. Hemmant is a lovely area, its a small village and has a country feel about it. Hope ye have success with selling the house. Thanks again, Frances x

hello vava, My mum has wanted to be in Aus for years, she only remained here as i was here, and i stayed here as my hubbys family were here, sadly not the case now.

My mums family all moved to Australia years and years ago ,nan and pop paying somthing like 10$ lol. My brother went out 10 or so years ago with the grand hyatt that he worked as a chef for in london, he went on a 2 yr sponsored visa and didnt want to return,then applied for permanent residency and now a citizen. He is in Melbourne.

Surely the answer is for your brother to sponsor your mother's application for a 173/143, since he is clearly "settled". You would not be able to sponsor her, in any case, until you yourselves were "settled" – generally for at least two years.

Are you two the only children of your mother? If so, only one of you needs to be in Oz to meet the "balance of family" test. Otherwise, you would have to wait until at least half of her children are there before you could apply.

Do, please, thoroughly read the Immi Dept's Booklet 3 – to be found at http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm.

Good luck, Mike

Hello, Thankyou MikenSueNW3 for your valuable input, what are the reasons for no further stay on visitor visa, do they always put this ? or just random visas with certain criteria? is it a big possiblity mums will have this? and what does the Aged visa request , what is different to the off shore apart from being onshore- mum is 59 (60 next march) Look forward to your info ,and thankyou again x

Hello again Linday, really really appreciate your experienced advise, this makes so much difference to someone not getting her head round so much info- this site has already proved its weight in gold and i am only just starting out on the big dream.

Can you do me a huge favour and just list what you would do if you were me now(what visa and when) or confirm if i am on the right track so we know what to aim for.

hubbys sponsor to lodge 457 request.

us to then lodge our 457 application.

when/if we get visa granted apply for mums 12 mth visitor visa.

* also apply for offshore cpv OR

*Wait until arrival and apply for mums onshore cpv

we go to Aus without mum :sad:

(I have to be in Aus before mum, even for the visitor visa for BOF test ???) brother in Aus, 2 step children in uk, me on route to Aus

Not possible to wait in singapore for her on nxt flight???

12 months up ,mum has to go back home as they wont allow another visitor visa as prob have no further stay on this one. (have to go off shore to apply if it is pos)

mum wait a further 6-12 months in uk for cpv to be approved ? (what if we done the onshore cpv-would it make a difference that she has to come home after the 12 month visa ends as she now wouldnt be onshore????)

phew- im exhausted just thinking about it all lol - please please advise if im on the right track or heading on a way more confusing route .thankyou everyone

No problem. I found this site very helpful when we were going through the process and all the great people on here helped to keep me sane! So I am just trying to give something back; you usually find that someone knows the right answer.

I will try and clarify some of your points as best I can.

Firstly, your mum does not need to pass the BOF test to apply for a visitor visa. It is just like anyone else going over as a tourist.

Regarding ‘onshore/offshore’: There is an Aged CPV where the applicant needs to be 65. This allows you to apply for the CPV in Australia and you are then granted a bridging visa which allows you to stay until the CPV is granted. However, as mum is not 65 she doesn’t have this option. There is nothing to prevent her from posting off her application while she is physically in Australia, but she won’t get the bridging visa and will still have to leave when her visitor visa runs out.

I do not know anything about the 457 but I have read your last post and I note that you say it is a temporary visa. I think the first thing to clarify is whether mum meets the BOF test which says that a parent must have half their children permanently in Australia:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/balance-family.htm

As I see it, at the moment, as the stepchildren are included, she does not meet the BOF test, whether you are in Australia or not, as you would only be on a temporary visa. If mum is married to your stepfather, she would maybe need to divorce him first in order to meet the BOF test, I am not sure. If the step children are under 18 this can also affect the situation. If your mum is not married to your stepdad then when they split up she will probably meet the BOF test and there would be nothing to stop her applying for the CPV immediately, with your brother as sponsor. It might be worth taking some advice from someone like Alan Collett as the BOF can be complicated and it is worth paying for some advice.

Assuming that mum meets the BOF test and stepchildren are completely out of the picture she could apply for the CPV asap. She could then go to Oz with you on a 12 month visitor visa. DIAC are a bit more flexible in granting visitor visas to parents who have already applied for the CPV. She could maybe go offshore to apply for a further visitor visa, bearing in mind that she will need to go offshore again when her CPV is granted and it can be costly. It is not easy to know exactly when a CO might be appointed but a kind parent on here has set up a tracker which allows you to see other parents’ progress:

http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.php

Having said that, COs have recently been appointed after 14 months. Although she might find it hard, would it not be more straightforward for mum to wait a while after applying for her CPV and then come over on a visitor visa later? Lots of parents do this. Or even wait the full 14-18 months?

In any case I would certainly start by having a look at the visa on the DIAC website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-outside.htm

and as others have said, read Booklet 3. You will then be in a better position to make your choices. Hope this helps. Good luck

You need to download the payment mandate from the Australian High Commission website:

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/fees.html - have a look at the instructions on how to pay.

We paid with a bank cheque as our credit card company wanted to charge us commission.

We sent the cheque, the payment mandate, a copy of the letter from our CO asking for payment, and a covering letter. We got two special delivery ‘silver pouches’ from the post office and self addressed one, and paid the return postage (we made a note of the number). We then included the self addressed one in the envelope for them to return the receipt to us. We then sent the receipt to our CO. We were able to check when the envelope had been posted back to us. The whole process only took about 4 days.

Hi Linday

I'm in Australia so would be paying in dollars (we'll probably leave Mum's money in the UK until she's sold her house) and sending the form to the CO directly. For me its a lot easier to email the form than to take a long lunch to queue in the post office for an express post envelope hence my question.

Guest Carolineyw

Hi everyone,

I am so glad to find this forum, it provide a lot useful information.

I am planning to get my mum to Australia by the parent 143. However I am very new in this area as this decision has just been made very recently. My mum is 56 years old and just got divorced with my stepfather. I am her only child, so I really want to look after her and get her come to Australia and live with us.

I earns about 100k per year and my husband earns around 80k per year. We have 3 houses so money is not a problem for us. We just want to get her over here as soon as possible.

I’ve been living in Australia for 10 years now and I’ve been an Australian Citizen for almost 7 years. I think I am eligible to sponser my mum. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My question is: If I handed in the 143 application form, then during the 2 year period when mum is waiting for it to be approved, can she come to Australia for visit? Or does she must remain outside of Australia?

Also, I heard once the application has been approved. Then my mum need to stay in Australia for a total of 2 years period in 5 years time. However, I don’t know when is the 5 years start counting? Is it starting from the date I submitted the application form, or from the approval date (i.e after 2 years waiting period).

One last thing, If my mum’s application do get approved, then I hear she can receive some money from the Centrelink if she do not work (I won’t want her to work anymore as she is in such old age). So how does this work? When can she start receive the money from centrelink (I heard you need to wait for 10 years).

Could someone please kindly help me out with the above questions?

Thank you very much,

Caroline

Hi Linday

I'm in Australia so would be paying in dollars (we'll probably leave Mum's money in the UK until she's sold her house) and sending the form to the CO directly. For me its a lot easier to email the form than to take a long lunch to queue in the post office for an express post envelope hence my question.

Oh I see, yes. As others were saying it was currently cheaper to pay to London I thought that's what you were trying to do. I don't know about emailing the form as we paid in London for the 173 visa and sent a bank cheque by post in Australia when we upgraded to the 143. Bit of a pain I know. You could try emailing the case officer to ask first.

Guest Carolineyw
Yes, your brother would be able to sponsor her. You would need to be physically in Australia first before your mum applies for the CPV in order for her to pass the BOF test. She will then have 2 children in Australia and 2 stepchildren in the UK, so she would pass the BOF test. It isn't any cheaper to apply in Australia unfortunately, the costs are the same, although I do believe it is slightly cheaper to do the medicals in Australia. I think it's all about timing. She could get a 12 month visitor visa to come to Australia with you, but she may not get her CPV before this runs out. She could go offshore and apply for another visitor visa but it's not guaranteed that she would get it. Also there is the possibility that her visitor visa could have a 'No Further Stay' condition put on it, which means she would not be able to apply for the CPV while in Australia.

Hi Linday,

I am having a very similar situation here with my mum. However my mum just got divorced with my stepfather. My stepfather have 2 children which have no blood relationship with my mum. I am my mum's only child and have Australia Citizenship. In this case, can I pass the BOF test? Or does my stepfather's children still count in the test even they have already got divorced?

Thank you :)

Oh I see, yes. As others were saying it was currently cheaper to pay to London I thought that's what you were trying to do. I don't know about emailing the form as we paid in London for the 173 visa and sent a bank cheque by post in Australia when we upgraded to the 143. Bit of a pain I know. You could try emailing the case officer to ask first.

For the large 2nd VAC it appears the rate isn't quite so good, I've tried mailing the CO but to date haven't has a response :(

Guest mollymoo14

As I see it, at the moment, as the stepchildren are included, she does not meet the BOF test, whether you are in Australia or not, as you would only be on a temporary visa. If mum is married to your stepfather, she would maybe need to divorce him first in order to meet the BOF test, I am not sure. If the step children are under 18 this can also affect the situation. If your mum is not married to your stepdad then when they split up she will probably meet the BOF test and there would be nothing to stop her applying for the CPV immediately, with your brother as sponsor. It might be worth taking some advice from someone like Alan Collett as the BOF can be complicated and it is worth paying for some advice.

Assuming that mum meets the BOF test and stepchildren are completely out of the picture she could apply for the CPV asap. She could then go to Oz with you on a 12 month visitor visa. DIAC are a bit more flexible in granting visitor visas to parents who have already applied for the CPV. She could maybe go offshore to apply for a further visitor visa, bearing in mind that she will need to go offshore again when her CPV is granted and it can be costly. It is not easy to know exactly when a CO might be appointed but a kind parent on here has set up a tracker which allows you to see other parents’ progress:

Thats great Linday, it is alot less confusing when explained like this. thankyou so much for your time and the links,i will have a read.

Had a long chat with mum and my brother in Aus and they to read your posts and are very grateful, and I am feeling slightly more at ease.

Mum says it will prob take a while for her to sort house and all legal stuff this end any way before she can come out so would probably be best as suggested that we do the 457 and just sort our visa out at the moment, mum will visit on a 3 or 6 mth visitor visa not long after we go to help us sort things whilst her house is up for sale this end, then sort everything on her return with hopefully a sold property she will then try another visitor visa hopefully a 12 mth and apply for the CPV asap.

This way will BOF be ok as me and bro in aus and mum in divorce depending on time. and 2 step in uk both adults, bro will sponsor her as hes a aus citizen, and she can be sorted on the house and legal side in the time she waits in the uk. How soon after mum putting in CPV do they look at it? as divorce might not be finalised? can she just prove she is in proceedings or have to wait before lodging visa until she is divorced ?

I think i was in panic just not wanting to leave mum here on her own incase of any problem, but shes fine and i am panicking for no reason apparently :unsure:

So heres to us continuing the dream and reading all the great stories on here in the process -im sure i will be back for more expert advise xxx

Hi there

Just a quick question. I am filling out the form for the medical. One questions 'Intended occupation/activity in Australia' I am not sure whether I will be working or what at. Anyone else been in the same situation.? What did you answer?

Thank you

Moira

Hi there

Just a quick question. I am filling out the form for the medical. One questions 'Intended occupation/activity in Australia' I am not sure whether I will be working or what at. Anyone else been in the same situation.? What did you answer?

Thank you

Moira

Hi Moira, We put "not yet known" on the form. Medical was ok and we got the visa so assume that answer was sufficient.

Hope this helps! Val x

One last thing, If my mum’s application do get approved, then I hear she can receive some money from the Centrelink if she do not work (I won’t want her to work anymore as she is in such old age). So how does this work? When can she start receive the money from centrelink (I heard you need to wait for 10 years).

Dear Caroline, The extract below is from Booklet 3;

Social Security

The social security system in Australia is managed by Centrelink, which has strict

guidelines on who can access benefits.

• Like most other new migrants, once a person is granted a permanent parent visa, they

do not have access to most Centrelink benefits for 2 years.

• All migrants must wait 10 years after becoming a permanent resident before they are

eligible to apply for an Australian aged or disability pension.

• The Assurance of Support bond is held for 2 years for parent category migrants

and for 10 years for contributory parent category migrants (even after the person

becomes an Australian citizen).

I hope this helps but it seems that unless your mother is financially independent, you will be responsible for her upkeep. Plus she will not be entitled to a pension until she has been resident for 10 years. Also the Assurance of Support which is lodged with Centrelink just before the visa is granted will not be refunded until 10 years has passed.

I know its a daunting task but by asking lots of questions and reading booklet 3 you will make sense of it all.

Val

Guest Carolineyw

Dear Caroline, The extract below is from Booklet 3;

Social Security

The social security system in Australia is managed by Centrelink, which has strict

guidelines on who can access benefits.

• Like most other new migrants, once a person is granted a permanent parent visa, they

do not have access to most Centrelink benefits for 2 years.

• All migrants must wait 10 years after becoming a permanent resident before they are

eligible to apply for an Australian aged or disability pension.

• The Assurance of Support bond is held for 2 years for parent category migrants

and for 10 years for contributory parent category migrants (even after the person

becomes an Australian citizen).

I hope this helps but it seems that unless your mother is financially independent, you will be responsible for her upkeep. Plus she will not be entitled to a pension until she has been resident for 10 years. Also the Assurance of Support which is lodged with Centrelink just before the visa is granted will not be refunded until 10 years has passed.

I know its a daunting task but by asking lots of questions and reading booklet 3 you will make sense of it all.

Val

Hi Val,

THank you so much for your help. I went to the website and just got a copy of the booklet 3 print out. Will read it through today :)

So the 10 year counting start from the time the visa's been granted it that right? I heard someone in other forum say it start from the date my mum enter Australia after the PR been granted.

So I am a bit confused. Also during the 10 year. I think my mum need to stay in Australia for at least 2 years during a 5 years period. Is this right? Because my grandparents are still all back home. My mum probably want to visit them as much as possible.In the booklet I couldn't find anything regard about this.

Hi Val,

THank you so much for your help. I went to the website and just got a copy of the booklet 3 print out. Will read it through today :)

So the 10 year counting start from the time the visa's been granted it that right? I heard someone in other forum say it start from the date my mum enter Australia after the PR been granted.

So I am a bit confused. Also during the 10 year. I think my mum need to stay in Australia for at least 2 years during a 5 years period. Is this right? Because my grandparents are still all back home. My mum probably want to visit them as much as possible.In the booklet I couldn't find anything regard about this.

I think it is fair to say that almost everything where there is a time limit attached, starts from the date on which you arrive in Australia and take up Permanent Residency. Contributory Parents it is 2 years before you can get a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (which gives you access to cheap prescriptions and some benefits) and 10 years before you can apply for Aged Pension - but that is mean tested so by no means guaranteed. State Seniors Cards are available immediately upon residency, providing you meet the age criteria, and are well worth applying for, we have saved heaps by using them, especially for travel to Melbourne by train/tram etc.

Guest Carolineyw

Thank you Gill, just one last question:

If I handed in the 143 application form, then during the 2 year period when mum is waiting for it to be approved, can she come to Australia for visit? Or does she must remain outside of Australia?

Hallo out there

I have just telephoned the panel doctor to make an appointment for my medical. They want my hap id no.? She said it was in my letter of confirmation but it is not. Anyone any idea what this is.

Thanks Moira

There is some discussion of this here:

et when yo

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/105889-need-help-do-you-need-hap-ids-book-your-health-exam.html

If it's the same as the TRN (Transaction Reference No) this is what you apply online. Maybe you need to tell them it's a paper application and give them your file reference.

Hallo out there

I have just telephoned the panel doctor to make an appointment for my medical. They want my hap id no.? She said it was in my letter of confirmation but it is not. Anyone any idea what this is.

Thanks Moira

Hi Moira, just looking at my acknowledgement letter and as far as I can see there is only the File Reference at the very top of the page, which is to be quoted at all times. I can't see anything else.

Val

Hi Caroline, Yes, your mother is allowed to visit for a holiday (need to have the appropriate tourist visa though). Our application took 14 months before the case officer was allocated and then a further six weeks until the visa was granted. I would say less than 18 months in total not 2 years but I suppose this all depends on how busy they are with processing other applications.

Regards, Val x

Hallo out there

Thanks Moira

hi,

The hap id number is on the letter that DIAC sends to you to ask you to do health check, police check, and AOS- It is not in the letter of confirmation. People who have received the the letter asking for health check... please confirm, thank you.

@JohnAndEirian: I have noticed that you have just had a C/o on the tracker. May I ask that it is a "real c/o" :), or it is just a letter from the DIAC asking you to do the health check.. ect.. Thank you.

hi,

The hap id number is on the letter that DIAC sends to you to ask you to do health check, police check, and AOS- It is not in the letter of confirmation. People who have received the the letter asking for health check... please confirm, thank you.

@JohnAndEirian: I have noticed that you have just had a C/o on the tracker. May I ask that it is a "real c/o" :), or it is just a letter from the DIAC asking you to do the health check.. ect.. Thank you.

So how do you front load your medical check before you get CO with said letter and HAP ID? Like others on the tracker, we want to organise meds etc before we get CO. ?

So how do you front load your medical check before you get CO with said letter and HAP ID? Like others on the tracker, we want to organise meds etc before we get CO. ?

Hi,

We tried to front load the medical but it was not possible without the HAP ID. Our agent contacted the relevant department and was told that as the centre we wanted to use only used online contact with Aus, we could not front load until our medicals were 'requested'. Very annoying but we are poised to leap when the request comes through.

Kim

Hi

Im tracking my parent and parent in laws progress on this forum.

My parents are listed on tracker as Imbrioscia - acknowledgement received 19 Aug 2010 - CO 04 Oct 2011

My parent in laws were listed as Grant - acknowledgement August 2010 -

The problem being my parent in laws have not received a CO as yet.

The reason why i'm a bit anxious is that both their application were submitted the same day - and should have had CO almost at the same time.

I'm not sure what i should do as i have noted on the tracker that CO's have been allocated to applications acknowledged Feb 2011, and seeing as tho their applications were acknowledged Aug 2010 they seem to be 7 months behind for some reaon?

I have also noted that "Grant" is no longer on the tracker??? I have just seen a note stating that the entry would be hidden and made inactive after 18m of acknowledgemnt date.

Can anyone suggest why there would be so much of a delay. Has it got anything to do with teh applicants being South african (high risk) longer processing time?

Any feedback or insight would be greatly appreciated.

P.S they are going thru a migration agent but have told we must be patient......?

I think 7 months behind teh current queing is more than patient?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

ERika