Six months in Oz - reality has set in

Guest SophieKin

Thank u for ur replys. Well lastnite i told family that we are coming back home.... oh the tears and joy in there voices . Kids are really excited and so am i. Just need to sell the house and get a new home for my dog:cry:. I feel awhole lot lighter. Hubby not saying much at all so i only hope he will forgive me in time.

I'm sure hubby will come round, you just have to be really nice to him.

I remember clearly the sense of relief when we finally decided to call it a day on Australia and the excitement of planning the rest of our lives. I also found the resentment towards Australia goes at this stage and you can enjoy the place more like you are on holiday.

Good luck!!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello,

I've been in tears reading this thread!

I've only been away from the UK since September and have not settled in here whatsoever. I really like Melbourne and we have been to some great places, but it's not home. Like a lot of you on here, we also thought we'd give it 2 years, but that seems so far away. I think I am missing it especially now because we have just found out I am pregnant with our first child and I feel like I'm missing out on so much not being able to be close to my family.

I don't work as I've been waiting to register with the teaching department here, which I was only able to do 4 weeks ago and it's unlikely I'll find a permanent position now. Hubby has found a job which pays well, so he's in a routine, but he is so supportive of me, which I am extremely grateful for. We're quite lucky in the respect that we only came over here with a couple of bags and have had 2 suitcases shipped, so it's not been a financial hardship so far. We are now is the serious discussions of returning back before the baby is due (October) or have the baby here and move back in about a year. I just can't seem to visualise us here with a baby. So much to think about!!

Hi,

I can totally relate to you, we have been here for over a year and have liked it here so far, however I am pregnant with my first child as well and now I am really not sure if it is the right place for us. I am worried about not having family support here once the baby arrives and even though we like Australia, we are seriously questioning our future here. Also worried that as the little one grows up, will not have any family members to relate to.

Personally, I will have my baby here and then we re-consider whether to return to the UK or not after the baby is born. At least little bub will have dual citizenship.

Take care.

Guest AngieandMe

Heres hoping,,, i am doing a really special dinner tonight 3 course meal the works lol his beer is chillin in the fridge. Got him a card with a big Thank you on it. People even notice in work how happy i am.... dont get me wrong i think Australia is beautiful, and it does have alot to offer, i just miss family and my true friends at home. God am even excited about feeling the cold again. going shopping at Nexts , Dunnes even Tesco and Asda haha. I have so much to do 2 cars to sell & House which i know will take time and kids need new passports.

Like i said before thanks for this site for at one stage i thought i was the only one feeling like this wanting to go home..... so i now see am not being selfish and am not mad in the head well only a wee bit :jiggy:

Guest LightOz
Hi,

I can totally relate to you, we have been here for over a year and have liked it here so far, however I am pregnant with my first child as well and now I am really not sure if it is the right place for us. I am worried about not having family support here once the baby arrives and even though we like Australia, we are seriously questioning our future here. Also worried that as the little one grows up, will not have any family members to relate to.

Personally, I will have my baby here and then we re-consider whether to return to the UK or not after the baby is born. At least little bub will have dual citizenship.

Take care.

Thanks for your post, good to know I'm not the only one. Within the first few weeks, we knew Australia was not forever, well, we knew it wouldn't be before we moved out, but now it has just bought everything forward for us. Got a lot of talking to do the next couple of months. I just want to get to 12 weeks before deciding anything for definite. I just can fel how lonely and isolating it is now, never mind what it'll be like when we have the baby. Also, Husband has got this new job and it looks like he'll be lodging away in the week. This happened in the UK too, but it feels 100 times worse here.

Good luck with your pregnancy and whatever you decide to do.

Guest LightOz
Hi we have been here 6 years and live in Melbourne it has been the hardest thing we have ever done, we felt the same early on into our emigration and the main reason we stuck with it here was to get citizenship which was after 2 years back then. We have lived in various suburbs around Melbourne trying to find the place which felt right but it never happened we visited the UK last April and me and my partner thought it was great to have family and England back. Its very early in your emigration to be thinking about returning home but I can understand why you may feel this way, moving to Australia is a life experience which you can only work out as you live it as to if it works for you. For us we have no kids are family here so its quite different than it would be for a family with kids. We are returning to the UK in March and cant wait, you will be surprised at how many people on PIO are in similar situations and have the same mindsets, there are a lot of good people on here to get advive from. Your situation is one were you either bite the bullet and return to the UK while you can, are set yourself a goal in relation to living in OZ. Good luck with your decision and your not on your own believe me:biggrin:

Thank you for your reply. We never thought Australia would be forever and being pregnant has just bought everything forward I suppose. How long is long enough to give it a go? I don't know. All I know is that I feel quite uneasy here and when I thought of having a child, it was always near my family, especially my Mum. It's still very early days in the pregnancy though, and I'm not sure I would be wanting to return this soon if I wasn't pregnant. ARGH!! Don't know what to do for the best...:unsure:

Guest Guest37175
The element of these threads that really p.sses me off .....Is when people say " you must be mad for wanting to go home" to the UK -

I drive all over these islands ......Leigh on sea ( essex) on sunday ......cumbria on tuesday ......wales on wednesday .

At the moment the weather is cold ....and the UK looks " tired" again.....litter in the hedgerows etc .....RUN DOWN AND WORN OUT

The place isnt " finished" ,the people in it need a " boot up the arse".

The great things are too numerous to mention.....its just the politicians , and some of the people that live here that are the problem.

" PICK THE LITTER .....GET THE FLAGS OUT ......AND GET RID OF THIS GOVERNMENT " .....just in time for easter and a bit of sunshine ......the smell of freshly cut grass .....church bells .....the pub .....JOB DONE

Hear hear,

for a small group of islands the UK has an extraordinary diversity of beautiful locations. At this time of the year things do look washed out, but the first green of spring is not too far away now. It's always a lovely feeling when the clocks go forward and the nights just get that bit lighter and life begins to return.

You're dead right we're not finished, despite what we keep on telling ourselves, or rather, what our media keep on telling us. I'm no flag-waving patriot (way too many of them around me in Oz right now) but we do need to get some pride back into our country and get off our knees.

The UK is a great place, maybe a bit careworn round the edges these days, but a great place nonetheless. It's only when you take a step outside of it that you realise the good things - the self-deprecating humour, the creativity, the diversity and the many many places of beauty and character. You don't find that everywhere. It's not all sink estates and hoodies. The majority of people in the UK are decent, hard-working folk with sound values but their voices seem to have been drowned out by the gobby chavs and wannabee gangstas who are all about their rights but have no grasp of their responsibilities. As a result, we've all slipped into apathy and despair and would rather look the other way than step in when we see some little snot trashing a bus shelter or ripping off a car aerial in case he's either carrying a blade or we get locked up on an assault charge for stepping in.

I've not been very happy in Oz and I can't wait to return home, but I was thinking tonight when I was at the local park with my daughter about how well maintained the public areas near my home are and how little graffiti and casual vandalism there was. I know that's not the case everywhere over here, but all too often back home facilities like this would get trashed in a nano-second. How did that come to pass and can we ever return to a point where we have the kind of values that make people take pride again in their communities and their environment?

I wish I knew. I've long since given up looking to politicians for the answers. John Major had his 'Back to Basics' clap-trap and Blair rattled on about 'Stake-holders' but it's all just spin and who can trust a politician who'll be gone in a few years to line his pockets on the public-speaking trail or in The City?

Any ideas?. Jeremy Clarkson for Prime Minister?!. Would love to see Prime Minister's Question Time if that happened!!

Hear hear,

for a small group of islands the UK has an extraordinary diversity of beautiful locations. At this time of the year things do look washed out, but the first green of spring is not too far away now. It's always a lovely feeling when the clocks go forward and the nights just get that bit lighter and life begins to return.

You're dead right we're not finished, despite what we keep on telling ourselves, or rather, what our media keep on telling us. I'm no flag-waving patriot (way too many of them around me in Oz right now) but we do need to get some pride back into our country and get off our knees.

The UK is a great place, maybe a bit careworn round the edges these days, but a great place nonetheless. It's only when you take a step outside of it that you realise the good things - the self-deprecating humour, the creativity, the diversity and the many many places of beauty and character. You don't find that everywhere. It's not all sink estates and hoodies. The majority of people in the UK are decent, hard-working folk with sound values but their voices seem to have been drowned out by the gobby chavs and wannabee gangstas who are all about their rights but have no grasp of their responsibilities. As a result, we've all slipped into apathy and despair and would rather look the other way than step in when we see some little snot trashing a bus shelter or ripping off a car aerial in case he's either carrying a blade or we get locked up on an assault charge for stepping in.

I've not been very happy in Oz and I can't wait to return home, but I was thinking tonight when I was at the local park with my daughter about how well maintained the public areas near my home are and how little graffiti and casual vandalism there was. I know that's not the case everywhere over here, but all too often back home facilities like this would get trashed in a nano-second. How did that come to pass and can we ever return to a point where we have the kind of values that make people take pride again in their communities and their environment?

I wish I knew. I've long since given up looking to politicians for the answers. John Major had his 'Back to Basics' clap-trap and Blair rattled on about 'Stake-holders' but it's all just spin and who can trust a politician who'll be gone in a few years to line his pockets on the public-speaking trail or in The City?

Any ideas?. Jeremy Clarkson for Prime Minister?!. Would love to see Prime Minister's Question Time if that happened!!

I would bring the army home .......and put them on the ports and airports .

The whole country needs an " extreme makeover" .

The litter .....the paths ( dug up , resurfaced , dug up again ,until they are a patchwork mess).......make people responsible for their square footage of house and land .

If you are a lazy chav ,with overgrown hedges and 3 rusting motors on your drive ......you get a visit ,and 28 days to sort it .

Make all these human rights lawyers .....unemployed

Sweeping laws to stop and search ,anyone and everyone .

If its found that you shouldnt be here .....the violins are put away .....and you are immediately deported.........A NICE START.

Being British or Australian ,is a priveledge not a right ........play the game or piss off !

Guest Guest37175

The litter .....the paths ( dug up , resurfaced , dug up again ,until they are a patchwork mess).......make people responsible for their square footage of house and land .

If you are a lazy chav ,with overgrown hedges and 3 rusting motors on your drive ......you get a visit ,and 28 days to sort it .

If its found that you shouldnt be here .....the violins are put away .....and you are immediately deported.........A NICE START.

Being British or Australian ,is a priveledge not a right ........play the game or piss off !

I really think we need to wind our necks in and stop trying to be some kind of International Police Force along with the Yanks. I can't see how the enormous sacrifice that British Servicemen and women are making in Afghanistan and Iraq contributes to keeping the UK safe. Lives are being lost and families are being destroyed on an almost weekly basis in an unwinnable war thousands of miles from home that costs a fortune to wage. I honestly believe that we should put our forces in harms way only if we are directly threatened and I don't think either country is a real threat to us. Or put it this way, we all might be safer with our troops at home and our borders enforced.

Maybe a zero tolerance approach to crime and social disorder is what's necessary?. It has had some benefits in New York in terms of reducing these offences and making people feel safer. Maybe we need something similar?. I know it goes against the grain in some ways, but the police have so little real authority nowadays that there is no respect for them.

A mate of mine who's an ex-copper told me that it all went wrong when they renamed the police as a Police Service and not a Police Force.

Brilliant Bunbury61!!

I have to say that hubby and I have stopped watching the news or reading the papers now as we are fed up of hearing all the doom and gloom.

I'm not painting a negative picture of the UK but our Government has some serious issues! The fact that our own MP's that are supposed to be caring about our Country have been blatently flounting the system and robbing Joe tax payer blind. Fantastic role models to aspire too eh. Rob and you shall prosper! Well, not quite. If Joe tax payer was the one doing the robbing I can assure you the only place he'd be is in prison!

Isn't anyone TRUELY happy they moved out there? I had set my hopes and dreams on this and am now scared that I may be making the biggest mistake of my life???

Please dont tell me that life with the Chavs and the respectless hoodies on my street is a better deal???:chatterbox:

Guest June Pixie
Brilliant Bunbury61!!

I have to say that hubby and I have stopped watching the news or reading the papers now as we are fed up of hearing all the doom and gloom.

I'm not painting a negative picture of the UK but our Government has some serious issues! The fact that our own MP's that are supposed to be caring about our Country have been blatently flounting the system and robbing Joe tax payer blind. Fantastic role models to aspire too eh. Rob and you shall prosper! Well, not quite. If Joe tax payer was the one doing the robbing I can assure you the only place he'd be is in prison!

Isn't anyone TRUELY happy they moved out there? I had set my hopes and dreams on this and am now scared that I may be making the biggest mistake of my life???

Please dont tell me that life with the Chavs and the respectless hoodies on my street is a better deal???:chatterbox:

I hear you Cruella and was thinking the exact same thing - But like Cheryl Cole said "When you've lived on a Newcastle council estate, everywhere is a step up".

Brilliant Bunbury61!!

I think its fair enough people saying they dont like oz,or that its not for them.

And its fair enough they post the negatives.

But i personally dont take 1% notice of any of these posts when it comes to deciding to go to oz or not,i know that might sound arrogant,but its just the way i am,i couldnt care less if 99.9 % of people on here were coming home.

People are different,i dont KNOW if i will like living there or not.im not expecting utopia.

But NO WAY do peoples posts influence my decision re emigrating,"I" will decide for me.

Yeah Pablo I agree. Its not so much me I am worried for. I have already moved my life once, left friends / family behind and re-settled (on a much smaller scale of 100 miles away). However, hubby is born and bred where we are living now. Am not sure how he will cope with the change and the last thing I want is for him to blame me if he doesnt like it. I'm not forcing him into a move, I'm just optimistic for change!!!

I think its fair enough people saying they dont like oz,or that its not for them.

And its fair enough they post the negatives.

But i personally dont take 1% notice of any of these posts when it comes to deciding to go to oz or not,i know that might sound arrogant,but its just the way i am,i couldnt care less if 99.9 % of people on here were coming home.

People are different,i dont KNOW if i will like living there or not.im not expecting utopia.

But NO WAY do peoples posts influence my decision re emigrating,"I" will decide for me.

Thevew banned Guinness and Scotch:mad:

Guest June Pixie

Pablo, you should get together with my OH - He says the exact same thing and it gets his goat when I come off POI and say something like "such and such lodged their visa and thingymajiggy says Australia is too hot". He reckons a bunch of strangers opinions mean nothing!! I'm more open and like to hear about life stories and follow people to see how they got on in the end ~~ Sounds a bit stalker-ish! It's not!

We are going out there for an adventure and change, not a 'better' life ~~ What I say is there are people in the world where Australia is really that better life, living in safe place and where their children can thrive. Unfortunately these are some of the people that cannot get there! Us Brits just go there for the weather, we have a lot to be thankful for here in the UK still.

Yeah Pablo I agree. Its not so much me I am worried for. I have already moved my life once, left friends / family behind and re-settled (on a much smaller scale of 100 miles away). However, hubby is born and bred where we are living now. Am not sure how he will cope with the change and the last thing I want is for him to blame me if he doesnt like it. I'm not forcing him into a move, I'm just optimistic for change!!!

No probs mate,i wasnt being funny or anything,tbh arnt we all a bit worried about how our partners will cope without family,freinds etc?My partners been a spoilt brat since birth lol!

Proper mummy+daddies girl! yet "at the mo" she's more enthusiastic than me to move.

But im going there with an open mind,im a bit more cynical than my partner.

I keep my expectations a bit lower then im less likely to be dissapointed.

As i say,i will give it a go and see what happens,im not one who posts about"living the dream" etc.

And "if" i dont like it and decide to come home i will post on here and give my honest opinion on why i didnt like it.

I "wont" rip australia to bits because its for me to adjust not australia.

Just remember that its a massive upheavel for you "all",and your all in it together.

Neither myself nor jan will blame each other if either of us doesnt like it,+we come home.

Home is where you all are,it doesnt matter if its oz or the uk,people matter more than countries,all the very best on your move,hope its everything you hope it will be.

Pablo, you should get together with my OH - He says the exact same thing and it gets his goat when I come off POI and say something like "such and such lodged their visa and thingymajiggy says Australia is too hot". He reckons a bunch of strangers opinions mean nothing!! I'm more open and like to hear about life stories and follow people to see how they got on in the end ~~ Sounds a bit stalker-ish! It's not!

We are going out there for an adventure and change, not a 'better' life ~~ What I say is there are people in the world where Australia is really that better life, living in safe place and where their children can thrive. Unfortunately these are some of the people that cannot get there! Us Brits just go there for the weather, we have a lot to be thankful for here in the UK still.

I cant keep up with you june!lol, i thought you'd decided not to go now?

No,i "do" listen to what people have to say,good and bad,i'd be a fool not to.

All im saying is it doesnt "in the end" influence wether im emigrating or not june.

Im not going for the weather btw!Not looking forward to setting brick in dantes inferno in the summer months in South Australia! Im not much of a sun lover june.

Thats partly why were not going brissie/Queensland/perth,plus theres too many scousers in perth:biglaugh:.

And of course your right,we "do" have a lot to be thankfull for in the uk,i dont and wont get involved in the UK is crap,or OZ is crap camps,each to their own,and both places have good and bad points,its that simple,i'l just see which "i" prefer,thats all mate.

Guest June Pixie
I cant keep up with you june!lol, i thought you'd decided not to go now?

Haha - That decision was made for us on 23rd September so I did vow to enjoy what extra time we have left in the UK. Yeah I was angry with being messed around but hey ho, We have done a lot of thinking and it possibly was a good thing to have this 'reflection time' and not thundering on at 100 miles an hour. Anyway OH has had lots of interesting jobs here for time being and started to feel a lot more settled BUT he has been offered a sponsor in Brisbane which could see us out there the end of this year. All the balls are in the air! Brisbane is not our first choice but looks a canny job.

Haha - That decision was made for us on 23rd September so I did vow to enjoy what extra time we have left in the UK. Yeah I was angry with being messed around but hey ho, We have done a lot of thinking and it possibly was a good thing to have this 'reflection time' and not thundering on at 100 miles an hour. Anyway OH has had lots of interesting jobs here for time being and started to feel a lot more settled BUT he has been offered a sponsor in Brisbane which could see us out there the end of this year. All the balls are in the air! Brisbane is not our first choice but looks a canny job.

Ahh,so it wasnt me getting confused "again"!yeah i thought i'd seen you post about staying in the uk,and your fellah getting offered a good job in the channel islands or somewhere.

Well good luck to yer june,were heading to S.A but who knows where we'l end up?

Bloody hell woman you change your mind more than yoiur knickers lol, seriously hope you make your mind up before the plane lifts off. Everybodys different , IMHO just me of course i think its a state of mind livin the dream **** ( pardon my aus) cant hack it . The winners are the folks determined to make it a new life , we had cos we are old gits and went all in . IMO you have to go all in to make it in any life in any place ,

Mally

Pablo sups pop

Well, you tell your hubby that we think he's brilliant. Make sure you find the BIGGEST valentines card for him this weekend....and keep those hugs coming, sounds like he'll need them.

Thank u for ur replys. Well lastnite i told family that we are coming back home.... oh the tears and joy in there voices . Kids are really excited and so am i. Just need to sell the house and get a new home for my dog:cry:. I feel awhole lot lighter. Hubby not saying much at all so i only hope he will forgive me in time.

Hi,

Take care.

Hi

I found it alot harder once I had my children....the missing family, kids not knowing family, our family not enjoying our beautiful children, the whole support...visits become less frequent because its just far too expensive to travel when your paying 2 adults plus 2 kids...I don't hate Australia but personally for me being closer to our families watching our kids grow up with a huge extended family rather than just hubby and I is far mor important to me than Australia "a place" is. My boys are both dual nationalities so you never know what might happen in the future but the options are open.

Good luck with your pregnancy....when are you due?:biggrin:

Hi

I found it alot harder once I had my children....the missing family, kids not knowing family, our family not enjoying our beautiful children, the whole support...visits become less frequent because its just far too expensive to travel when your paying 2 adults plus 2 kids...I don't hate Australia but personally for me being closer to our families watching our kids grow up with a huge extended family rather than just hubby and I is far mor important to me than Australia "a place" is. My boys are both dual nationalities so you never know what might happen in the future but the options are open.

Good luck with your pregnancy....when are you due?:biggrin:

Hi,

Baby is due in September.

Where are you now? Are you back in the UK?

Hi,

Baby is due in September.

Where are you now? Are you back in the UK?

That is a nice time to have a baby I had both of mine in the height of summer here...9 months pregnant and 30-40 degree days do not mix:biglaugh:

We are still here in Australia, my husband has a job interview Monday so we are hoping he gets that and then we can make the move...otherwise he will keep applying and if nothing comes up we will move back around June all going well regardless if he has a job or not.

Brilliant Bunbury61!!

As i have said many times on here .....i loved Australia ,and still do .

I came home because of family , both elder brothers in Oz ....so someone had to make the decision in relation to my parents .

I love both countries .....and may go back someday .

But you cant compare the 2 countries .....its like comparing oil and water.

One is an island 824 miles long with 60 million people in it ......the other is almost the size of the U.S with 20 odd million people in it.

Just as Britain isnt all sink estates .......Australia isnt all beaches and utopia.

If i had to choose a walk through inner city Britain or a walk through the bush , i would be hard pushed ,as i hate both.

Iam fully aware of Britains problems .....i shake my head everyday when i see them .

But its the " familiarity" of life here in the UK ,that throws some people when they go to Oz .

Family ..... cars ......the tele.....and a million other things can throw you .

Would i go to Oz again .......damn right ,go for it ....find out yourself

Hi there,

I can sympathise with everyone on here, as we emigrated here in October 2009, we waited so long to get here, we got permenant residency visas 1/1/2 years ago, we flew out to register them whilst waiting to sell our house. which fell through 5 times. In the last 1 1/2 everything has rocketed in price, cant believe how much, if we'd have known now, we would not have emigrated here, if we came out 1 1/2 years ago we could afford a lovely house looking over the beach in Coolum, now we can t even afford a shack, house prices are ridiclous, $400K + plus for a tiny run down type of house, the interest rates are worse, we just dont know how people survive here.

My husband wants to return to the uk as we still have our house, our lifestyle was so much betterm 1 tropical, 2 med holidays a year withj just my husband working, here all we seem to do is scrimp and scrape along, we didnt come to Australia for that, we are giving it till October, if no different we are heading back to the UK, a warning to all people looking at coming, make sure you have plenty of cash, you'll need it.

We know another 4 couples in the same boat, some friends we have made have been here for 3 years, they are worse off than in the uk, they are heading back in October.

Not having a moan abou tthis, this is how it is now, think we should have got visas now for NZ.

Archived