Six months in Oz - reality has set in

Guest SophieKin

Guest SophieKin

We are in Adelaide, not the busiest or most lively of places but I dont really think I would feel settled elswhere in Oz now.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tlander56
Hi

I am new to this but thought I would like to post after spending my first 6 months here just to give people who are thinking of coming here an idea of what it is like.

I spent two years planning this move, I had been over to Australia a couple of times previously and I loved it and so decided to make plans to move here. The application was long winded and I honestly think personally I just went through the motions of applying without really thinking about how the move would affect me. The main concern for us was selling the house in the middle of a recession and my husband leaving a good job in the UK and finding work here. When I look back I didnt think about me or what I would do when I got here. We were lucky and sold the house but it was at this time I started to have major doubts but we had gone so far I blanked it out and concentrated on the move thinking it would be a better life for our children. Renting the house would have been a far better option as at least we would have something to return to.

Well we arrived, my husband found a really great job, we spend a couple of months sorting out all the usual things which took my mind off home, but deep down I was feeling awful. The buzz of the move had gone and here I was in a lovely house with the sun shining every day feeling so down. I appreciate that everyone is different and not everyone will feel like I do but I do wish I could turn back the clocks and go back to my old life. I have a lovely home here and we have a good income but it is not everything. the pull of my old life and family is just too much.

The things I have found most difficult are, a horrible feeling of being alone and not being able to call family because of the time difference, not being able to work because of childcare waiting lists etc, having a young family and no support network - this is so hard, the expense of living here - the only thing which is cheaper is petrol , food bills have doubled here and the variety and quality of food is poor compared to the UK. Whilst it is lovely being in the sun, throughout the summer it is too hot for young children and we spend most of the time indoors as we cant stand the 40 degree heat.

I have not posted on here to moan about Australia as I moved here because I was so fond of it but to me it is just a holiday place, real life here is so different. I hope anyone planning on making the move with a young family are 100% sure before they do it. As other people have mentioned make sure you have enough finances before coming here as the cost of everything will be a massive shock. The cost of living is not cheaper than the UK and generally wages are lower. If you are coming with a young family think of how you would cope without the support network you may have in the UK.

I am glad I came only because I would have always thought I had lost out on a fantastic opportunity to have a great life, but at least now I know the grass is no greener over here and the UK is the place where I want to be.

I wish everyone luck who is making the move but just make sure you have no doubts before you do it.

I agree with you 100% OP....especially about the kids having to be inside, lack of support network, and the cost of living! We also have great jobs too.but you really need them!!!..the house with the pool and sun isn't everything..and it certainly doesn't come cheap.

We are off back to the UK in two weeks.

Glad we came, as would have always wondered....

Good luck with what you decide to do :-)

Guest tlander56
Good luck with your return to the UK, keep us posted on how you get on when your return.

Thanks!, I certainly will.

Well its been nearly 9 years I have lived in Brisbane and i can now report that I am fully cooked and I am getting out. Selling up and shipping out for a cooler climate. If I return to Oz it will probably be Sydney or Melbourne but not Brisbane.

I have given up trying to cope with Brisbane and sorry if this upsets anyone.

Here are a collection of my negative thoughts regarding life in Brisbane. Does anyone concur or am I only seeing the bad side. I forget the good side. Affordable? Nope - not any more!

My 19kW ducted aircon has been on for the last 3 months and the bill is going to sting

I cant even sit outside Oct to March without larding up with suncream and insect repellant. Miss the repellant and get bitten by mosquitoes and sand flies (far worse).

Doing anything in the garden raises a sweat. dont do anything in the garden and it overtakes you in 2 weeks. Then the snakes move in - they like long grass. I have used the pool 10minutes in the last 4 months to avoid burning in the sun (takes 11mins) by day or eaten alive at night (takes 3mins).

I spent more time outside when I lived in the UK !!

I am fed up of wearing short pants and looking like a dag 24/7 because of the temp and humidity!

Lovely to have holidays back in the UK where you can wear a jacket and long trousers and look smart again.

Temperatures have been in low thirties for weeks and weeks. Wish we could have a cold day or pray week!

Every time I go out in Brisbane i just want to come back home before the night is done. Was Queensland meant to be inhabited?

I dont believe that everyone can aclimitize to heat and humidity.

Here are my positive observations of Australia/NZ:

I can live and function well in Sydney or Melbourne. Its not too hot all the time.

NZ has the nicest summers ever - like English summer days used to be. The South Island is stunning. Cold in winter though.

I am beginning to realize after 18 years working in 7 different countries and after at least 20 round the world flight tickets that seeking a better country to live in could be a self-inflicted curse . :swoon:

Guest tlander56
Well its been nearly 9 years I have lived in Brisbane and i can now report that I am fully cooked and I am getting out. Selling up and shipping out for a cooler climate. If I return to Oz it will probably be Sydney or Melbourne but not Brisbane.

Here are a collection of my negative thoughts regarding life in Brisbane. Does anyone concur or am I only seeing the bad side. I forget the good side. Affordable? Nope - not any more!

My 19kW ducted aircon has been on for the last 3 months and the bill is going to sting

I cant even sit outside Oct to March without larding up with suncream and insect repellant. Miss the repellant and get bitten by mosquitoes and sand flies (far worse).

Doing anything in the garden raises a sweat. dont do anything in the garden and it overtakes you in 2 weeks. Then the snakes move in - they like long grass. I have used the pool 10minutes in the last 4 months to avoid burning in the sun (takes 11mins) by day or eaten alive at night (takes 3mins).

I am fed up of wearing short pants and looking like a dag 24/7 because of the temp and humidity!

Lovely to have holidays back in the UK where you can wear a jacket and long trousers and look smart again.

Temperatures have been in low thirties for weeks and weeks. Wish we could have a cold day or pray week!

Every time I go out in Brisbane i just want to come back home before the night is done. Was Queensland meant to be inhabited?

I can live and function well in Sydney or Melbourne. Its not too hot all the time.

NZ has the nicest summers ever - like English summer days used to be. The South Island is stunning. Cold in winter though.

I am beginning to realize after 18 years working in 7 different countries and after at least 20 round the world flight tickets that seeking a better country to live in could be a self-inflicted curse . :swoon:

We think exactly the same of Brisbane...We looked at moving to Sydney but the house prices seemed crazy!

I'm always amazed at how many people love Qld....not just because of the hot, humid weather either. I find Sydney too hot. But do enjoy it's mild winters. We use our pool a lot, we just avoid the midday to 2pm slot.

I think anyone can cope with the weather if there's the other things in life that make it worth it. I'm just bored with the sameness of everything here, but I know there's plenty who'd relish the Sydney lifestyle.

I have used the pool 10minutes in the last 4 months to avoid burning in the sun (takes 11mins) by day or eaten alive at night (takes 3mins).

. :swoon:

I'm always amazed at how many people love Qld....not just because of the hot, humid weather either. I find Sydney too hot. But do enjoy it's mild winters. We use our pool a lot, we just avoid the midday to 2pm slot.

I think anyone can cope with the weather if there's the other things in life that make it worth it. I'm just bored with the sameness of everything here, but I know there's plenty who'd relish the Sydney lifestyle.

Ah, but Ezzie, you have Ikea, what more can you want?:biglaugh:

I feel for you that aren't happy in oz, the days seem to go by so slowly! I remember.

In brief my story: we moved to Melbourne May 08 and I came home with the kids in the December (hubby followed later). I pretty much instantly felt the effect of the move to oz and hubby didn't really get it, he went to work everyday and all was normal to him.

For me life was lonely and I just wasn't happy. I kept the kids busy and active, we made lots of friends. I had a party for my kids' birthday and the house was full of people yet I still felt alone. I didn't have any real bonds with anyone. People didn't get my humor. It was all so empty. Like someone else said the neighbours were friendly etc but there was something missing. The days for me just dragged by so slowly.

There were many people on PIO in a similar state to me and a lot of the advice was along the lines of "you're depressed, go to the doctor and take something". I knew that I didn't want to take pills to make me happy.

We've been back in the UK over a year now. My kids are thriving in their school. We still see a lot of our old friends and have made some new. The family are around to see the kids grow up (baby sit too, lol). On the whole I'm pretty happy and time just flies.

Occasionally I have doubts but that's mainly led by my husband who is missing oz. He enjoyed the job, it was the same level as here but had an easier work load and better commute.

The uk still has its problems but my friends and family and all things familiar are here. I never thought that the move would have affected me the way it did but then moving so far round the world is a massive move and anything is possible.

I don't hate Australia, its just not a place for me to live but I'm glad I went and had the experience, at least now I know and wont always wonder!

We're all different and thing affect us all differently. One thing I will say is to keep coming back to PIO, it was an amazing support to me and a great comfort for me knowing I was not alone in how I felt. Good luck.

Hi, i,m really new, hot off the press just signed up after reading sophie kin, i've wanted to join an expat group of some kind but never felt brave enough but reading your message was relieved to find i"m not alone. Been here 7 years july 2010 and am so homesick for me has'nt got easier quite the reverse ok when first arrived but probably kicked after first 2 years, i would go home tomorrow now. Never felt so lonely. Sorry thats not really cheery is it!

Hi, i,m really new, hot off the press just signed up after reading sophie kin, i've wanted to join an expat group of some kind but never felt brave enough but reading your message was relieved to find i"m not alone. Been here 7 years july 2010 and am so homesick for me has'nt got easier quite the reverse ok when first arrived but probably kicked after first 2 years, i would go home tomorrow now. Never felt so lonely. Sorry thats not really cheery is it!

Welcome Graciemay - so glad you decided to delurk and join us.

There are quite a few of us who have similar feelings and sometimes it helps to know that you arent going bonkers. The first 10 years were OK for me (must be a slow learner huh?!) but has slowly got worse and, you are right, even with a family around you, you can still feel incredibly lonely and isolated. I'm off home for my usual trip in 11 more get ups and I can feel the normality beginning even before I get on the plane. When we fly up the Thames I just get that belonging feeling back. Unfortunately, 5 weeks later they will be dragging me kicking and screaming back on the plane but thems the breaks!

I hope you can get yourself sorted and out of this place if that is a possibility for you.

Guest Guest37175

Gotta say I'm with you on this one. We're on the GC but it aint much cooler. I remember during my first summer here I thought "and europeans settled here?....how?." Alls well in moderation and that, but there's nothing moderate about a QLD summer!

The folks back home are always asking if we sit out and enjoy the balmy summer nights. You've gotta be kidding!. Our estate (or Mosquito Central as it's locally known) was built on reclaimed swamp land and when the clock hits 6pm it's like Piccadilly Circus outside our back door and the b&ggers like the taste of an englishman!

A couple of thunderstorms and the grass is deep enough to lose an elephant in. I made the mistake a few saturdays back of having a go at it mid-morning. Bad idea. I looked like the Singing Detective by the time I'd finished. I could see the concerned look on my neighbour's face as he peered out of his tinted glass lounge windows!

I needed a saline drip and a long lie-down afterwards!

It does challenge the assertion also that Oz is a great environment for kids. My three year old seems to be a chip off the old block in that respect. During the holidays I had to crow-bar her away from her play area (close to the air-con, she's no mug) and bribe her with ice-cream to get to leave the house. You feel like a really bad parent when you hear the plaintive moan of "But Daddy it's too hot," but you cheer up when she follows that up with "Daddy I want to move back to England!"

Out of the mouths of babes!

I really do like Brisbane, it's a smart, compact city but I groan whenever my OH arranges for us stop over there any time between October and April. I always lose around half my bodyweight in sweat during a night out and get home with another shirt needing a boil wash. It's lovely in the cooler months, but that period of time seems to be shrinking now and when locals say "Yeah but it's only hot for 3 months a year!" I get reminded once again that I'm in the wrong hemisphere.

We're off home later this year, but if we do come back at any future stage it won't be to QLD, more likely Melbourne or Sydney - somewhere I can enjoy some drizzle from time to time!

:smile:

Wow i am really relieved to hear other people have the same thoughts. The only reason I have lasted this long (10yrs in bris) is because I frequently work abroad (kept me single :( ). So i treat my house in Brisbane as a base which I return to after periods abroad - often bringing work home and working via the interweb. Trouble is i somehow forget how strong that sun is and how much the bugs bite here but my next trip out of Oz is never far away.

I took a 9month contract in Jo'burg a couple of years back but was very hesitant about going because I thought the heat and particularly the insects would definately be worse than oz. Nope! a beautiful climate in SA. Even in the bush I never saw as many insects as inhabit one of my patio lights.

With parents in UK getting older I feel I would like to spend more time with them but I wonder where I could possibly be happy living, never really liked NWengland but the current exchange rates really look inviting for selling in Brisbane and buying in UK. It might be that in 5 years I sell up and come back to sydney or melbourne or christchurch. Too many choices really but Brisbane is certainly not one of them for me anymore. I think I had good timing getting to oz in 93 when things were cheap! I recall motel rooms $17, big steaks $11. I think events like the Sydney Olympics induced a massive hike in general prices and prices never reduced afterwards.

Guest guest37336

Some really good comments here. Thought I may add my own thoughts. I have been fortunate, if thats that's the right word, to have visited, lived, worked etc, in thirty two countries. They have ALL had their fair share of positives and negatives. Some of the places I have visited I would never go back to in a million years, some I would return to without a moments thought. But the two countries that stand head and shoulders above all others are the UK and Australia. Though I was originally born in the UK I am fortunate that I also have citizenship of Australia. So hopefully what I say will be coming from an unbiased point of view. My relationship with Australia has been ongoing for around thirty years and it is one that I have enjoyed, loved, relished, hated, and despised. My relationship with the UK has been ongoing for forty seven years and it is one that I have enjoyed, loved, relished, hated, and despised. At times each country has driven me to the point of distraction. Some days I love whichever country I am in, some days I hate the country I am in. Such is life.

What I am trying to say is simply this. That whilst I can see what people are trying to say about Australia, in respect of their positive posts, I can also see what they are trying to say in their negative posts. I will often read a post concerning both countries and think to myself, 'What the hell are these people talking about, absolute rubbish'. Then some days or weeks down the line I will find myself saying, 'You know what, they were right, I couldn't agree more'. Human nature being as it is, we often find ourselves being totally confused, and for all intense and purposes, not knowing our own minds. All we can do is live in the present, not the past. We can only make a decision based on the present time and what MAY happen in the future. If you are truly unhappy in Australia, and I reiterate my word 'truly' then a decision has to be arrived at for your long-term happiness. No magic wand, no pills or potions are available to make this type of decision any easier. Good luck to you all and whichever path your life takes happiness to you all.

Thank you.

I just had a peek at your website on emmigrating and was surprised to read that you state that 70% of returnees regret going back to the UK. I wouldn't have thought it was as high as that. Also you give the impression that as long as you don't compare the differences between the countries, then you'll be fine. I actually think it's important to compare, how else will you reach an understanding of which lifestyle you prefer. Now, trying to turn Australia into a little Britain is never going to happen and that's another thing, but if you do go, well actually I really hate the heat, miss the green countryside drastically and yearn for a good belly laugh then I don't think it's so negative to realise that you'd be better off in Oz.

I loved your previous post though. Very balanced.

BTW...for all those Qld'rs...Here in Sydney, it's raining and it's gorgeous.

My relationship with Australia has been ongoing for around thirty years and it is one that I have enjoyed, loved, relished, hated, and despised. My relationship with the UK has been ongoing for forty seven years and it is one that I have enjoyed, loved, relished, hated, and despised. At times each country has driven me to the point of distraction. Some days I love whichever country I am in, some days I hate the country I am in. Such is life.

Thank you.

Guest guest37336

Hi ezzie.

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately I am going to have to PM you as I have been in discussion with the mods recently and they have asked, as they have every right to, to keep any comments about our website private, as it could be deemed as advertising. I will PM you now. In the meantime thank you very much for your kind comments concerning my last post.

Many thanks.

Hi

I am new to this but thought I would like to post after spending my first 6 months here just to give people who are thinking of coming here an idea of what it is like.

I spent two years planning this move, I had been over to Australia a couple of times previously and I loved it and so decided to make plans to move here. The application was long winded and I honestly think personally I just went through the motions of applying without really thinking about how the move would affect me. The main concern for us was selling the house in the middle of a recession and my husband leaving a good job in the UK and finding work here. When I look back I didnt think about me or what I would do when I got here. We were lucky and sold the house but it was at this time I started to have major doubts but we had gone so far I blanked it out and concentrated on the move thinking it would be a better life for our children. Renting the house would have been a far better option as at least we would have something to return to.

Well we arrived, my husband found a really great job, we spend a couple of months sorting out all the usual things which took my mind off home, but deep down I was feeling awful. The buzz of the move had gone and here I was in a lovely house with the sun shining every day feeling so down. I appreciate that everyone is different and not everyone will feel like I do but I do wish I could turn back the clocks and go back to my old life. I have a lovely home here and we have a good income but it is not everything. the pull of my old life and family is just too much.

The things I have found most difficult are, a horrible feeling of being alone and not being able to call family because of the time difference, not being able to work because of childcare waiting lists etc, having a young family and no support network - this is so hard, the expense of living here - the only thing which is cheaper is petrol , food bills have doubled here and the variety and quality of food is poor compared to the UK. Whilst it is lovely being in the sun, throughout the summer it is too hot for young children and we spend most of the time indoors as we cant stand the 40 degree heat.

I have not posted on here to moan about Australia as I moved here because I was so fond of it but to me it is just a holiday place, real life here is so different. I hope anyone planning on making the move with a young family are 100% sure before they do it. As other people have mentioned make sure you have enough finances before coming here as the cost of everything will be a massive shock. The cost of living is not cheaper than the UK and generally wages are lower. If you are coming with a young family think of how you would cope without the support network you may have in the UK.

I am glad I came only because I would have always thought I had lost out on a fantastic opportunity to have a great life, but at least now I know the grass is no greener over here and the UK is the place where I want to be.

I wish everyone luck who is making the move but just make sure you have no doubts before you do it.

Thanks for sharing, I hope more people would share their insight as the rest of us are only guessing. I live up in Northern Canada and it is impossible for Russ and I to even visit Australia and all we have to go on is people like you and information on the web. There are other people from other countries that have a more positive experience and i think it comes down to the reasons for moving,ie I have no family here to miss and it is -30 to -56 for 8 months a year here and i feel like i am in jail too. I love the heat but my husband cant' and he will be the one working out in it. You mentioned food. Is there at least fresh fruit and vegitables there. ours go bad after 2 days because it is so far to get them here.

Christine

What does your hubby do? There's always Tasmania which has a milder climate....and fabulous produce. Otherwise, yes, we have lovely fresh fruit and veg over here. I find the quality here better than England with the exception of some apples and berries. They're more expensive though.

What about NZ? That'd give you both the sun and the mountains.

Is there at least fresh fruit and vegitables there. ours go bad after 2 days because it is so far to get them here.

Christine

Great posts on this thread. Reality check. You think the sunshine will get you through everything but as you can see it doesn't.

Guest Chrissy
i havent been in australia as long as you and i am feeling exactly the same. lovely place but i just cant bear the heat so i cant enjoy the outdoors. i too was the one that wanted to make this move my OH wasnt bothered if we stayed in the uk or moved. we are giving it two years and if the two years goes by and i feel like this every day i think i am going to go mad.

but then i think, what would i be doing in england and i worry that if we do go back in two years what would we do will we find work. its stupid to think like that i know.

i am hoping when i start work i will feel better but i just cant see it, i feel like i did whilst i was waiting to come over, in limbo.

i cant talk to my OH about it he thinks i am being silly and just doesnt appreciate my feelings.

what do you think you are going to do sophie?

thoughts go out to you

sarah

To Sarah and Sophie - I am soo with you guys, ive been here 16 months and feel like I could have a breakdown if I dont get home soon, Im pregnant too which makes it worse. Where you guys living? Chrissy

Guest pegasus 90

Some good points brought up here. I think that we all talk up (& I'm guilty of this) the weather, beach, pool to compensate for the lack of othier things. I think it is a safety mechanism to justify why we are here or maybe why we stay. I am going back this year after 10 years and I can't believe some of the crap I've talked up to friends & family in the past. Because we don't have the benefit of accessible travel, culture & diversity we are forced to overly emphasise the weather & beach; & we expect them to be enough to compensate for the loss of them.

Guest emmalouise29

I met my Australian boyfriend in Nov 07 in Dublin, we had whirl wind romance and after him coming to UK I came to oz on working holiday visa. Now resident here, looking back I was so engrossed meeting lovely new boyfriend didnt really think about long term effect moving here would have on me. I never really thought of it as long term as in living in Oz and didnt realise how much i would miss my family and friends. Also having a boyfriend from Oz he will never truely understand what i gave up for him which can and does cause great resentment at times from me. When i first went back on holiday by myself i didnt think I would come back here as being back in my old life was great, but then you miss your boyfriend and friends you have made here so you are torn between the to. I came back and then you wonder if you made right decision again.

Its hard to get a decent job here even when my visa said no work restrictions lots of companies wont employ you and when yuo do work somewhere alot of companies employ you as casual where you have no job security.

After a while the nasal australian voice gets to you like being called a Pom grinds you down as well as the constant racist remarks about anyone different that is basically not a white aussie from Brit background. I find this amazing that they will call fellow Australians names just because their parents are italien/Spanish but they were born here, like themselves. Yet they call us English Poms when in fact they are referring to themselves as the Poms, but most Ozzies dont even know what POM stands for. For a country that is made up of immigrants it hasnt socially accepted any one and each group sticks to there own. I find a lot of australian men would rather just spend time with other ozzie men than do stuff with there wives or girlfriends, like english guys do in the UK. Also it is rather alarming how uneducated the average ozzie is. Only yesterday i got asked are you pommie or english?????? also a woman said to me' my friend is in Paris or France, isnt that the same place?????? need i say more.

I dont mean all Ozzie are bad, i have a nice boyfriend and some great mates here but the above is what i have noticed generally. I am now having a baby here and i miss home terribly and you find yourself like someone else commented getting fed up of eating steak, endless BBQS, awful humidity that makes you feel housebound and being eaten alive my mossies. There isnt much to do here andmusg of oz to me all looks the same. I do think you get more for your money here as in houses and cars etc. For me I just can't imagine not living in UK again, as makes me so sad. But if i do live in UK again it means i may not be with my boyfriend and then issues regarding my child, but i know oneday i wil live in England again as that is truely where my heart is. I plan to work for travel company once my child old enough so i can get cheap flights more frequently etc. You do find you spend most of your time when here planning you next trip home.

Being an expat is not easy there is many advantages and many disadvantages, so i would say to anyone seriously think about it before you commit to anything.

Guest siamsusie
I met my Australian boyfriend in Nov 07 in Dublin, we UK. Also it is rather alarming how uneducated the average ozzie is. Only yesterday i got asked are you pommie or english?????? also a woman said to me' my friend is in Paris or France, isnt that the same place?????? need i say more.

would say to anyone seriously think about it before you commit to anything.

May I ask where you did your Masters? I appreciate the negatives but the downright insulting is laughable:notworthy: Susie

Archived