Six months in Oz - reality has set in

Guest SophieKin

Guest emmalouise29

Also with the humidity it is impossible to stay looking nice. I love getting ready to go somewhere nice out to dinner or going out in town etc, but by the time you have reached your destination even is in air con a sort walk from one place to another makes you look awful. If you have slightest curl in your hair, by time you get to your destination your lovely straightened hair is wavy and looks wet inplaces from humidity, make up started to run although mineral make up does stay on. everyone looks sweaty and hot and it isnt a good look.

If your like and loved the seasons back home most parts of Oz are to humid for living in, im lucky that there is 4 seasons where i am and in August it is actually cold here and even had ice on my windows one day. But when winter is over you dread the summer which sicks as Christmas is in the summer and its horrible in the hot and just doesnt feel like Christmas. which i hate saying as i love Christmas. Also you i feel guilty about moving here and how it has hurt my parents, they are great and have been here and are here again soon but its unfair on them to spend alot of money coming over and such along way as they get older i think and i feel bad as they supported me in coming here and try to make me feel better but i know i have broken there hearts and especially now i am having a baby here.

Constantly wearing shorts and t-shirts makes me feel old than i am as fashion doesnt really have a hold here, most people look like they are in 1980s still......oh dear yes the mullet is big here still!!!! Most women dont wear make up either and i think people look a lot older than there age from sun damage.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest emmalouise29

In London, why? Maybe I should of wrote Australian instead of Ozzie. Didnt mean to insult and i did say i have lots of nice aussie friends here and my own boyfriend is from here but being asked' Am i pommie or english' or arent France and Paris the same place is a tad bit on the thick side. Also i have been asked London is England isnt it??????:laugh:

Guest siamsusie

In London, why? Maybe I should of wrote Australian instead of Ozzie. Didnt mean to insult and i did say i have lots of nice aussie friends here and my own boyfriend is from here but being asked' Am i pommie or english' or arent France and Paris the same place is a tad bit on the thick side. Also i have been asked London is England isnt it??????:laugh:

Firstly Emma, congratulations on your first baby (due) . I find its swings and roundabouts as far as geography is concerned.... I for one made a right boo boo the other day in WA.... we had a guy come and do some work in the garden for us from the T.I.'s.... now this is a first for me.. a wonderful guy, working with a great Aborigine from whom I learnt so much... I asked the Torres Strait Islander " was it hard obtaining a visa"? they both laughed... "I am a Queenslander" he said..... I am the ignorant pom! and of course I rushed to the pc and googled lol. .... its a question of just maybe some of the Australians are more gened up on say Asia than European history just as I am more educated on european history for eg....... basing someones intellectual capacity on geography is a tad unfair......... regarding your unborn, I would seriously consider your future here, because your baby will be born under Australian jurisdiction (Hague Convention Treaty) therefore your child will not be permitted to leave without the father/courts's permission) dont forget this wee child will have the same annoying grating accent as the father lol ..... going onto the said "mullett," well I have seen some pretty dodgy haircuts in the uk, and the brains were a bit suspect as well. :biglaugh:... so all in all, if the accents, hair cuts, education, mossies, food, humidity, curly hair when it should be straight, gets you down I would be asking Nigel to arrange a ticket out of this place very quickly. Best wishes Susie

I met my Australian boyfriend in Nov 07 in Dublin, we had whirl wind romance and after him coming to UK I came to oz on working holiday visa. Now resident here, looking back I was so engrossed meeting lovely new boyfriend didnt really think about long term effect moving here would have on me. I never really thought of it as long term as in living in Oz and didnt realise how much i would miss my family and friends. Also having a boyfriend from Oz he will never truely understand what i gave up for him which can and does cause great resentment at times from me. When i first went back on holiday by myself i didnt think I would come back here as being back in my old life was great, but then you miss your boyfriend and friends you have made here so you are torn between the to. I came back and then you wonder if you made right decision again.

Its hard to get a decent job here even when my visa said no work restrictions lots of companies wont employ you and when yuo do work somewhere alot of companies employ you as casual where you have no job security.

After a while the nasal australian voice gets to you like being called a Pom grinds you down as well as the constant racist remarks about anyone different that is basically not a white aussie from Brit background. I find this amazing that they will call fellow Australians names just because their parents are italien/Spanish but they were born here, like themselves. Yet they call us English Poms when in fact they are referring to themselves as the Poms, but most Ozzies dont even know what POM stands for. For a country that is made up of immigrants it hasnt socially accepted any one and each group sticks to there own. I find a lot of australian men would rather just spend time with other ozzie men than do stuff with there wives or girlfriends, like english guys do in the UK. Also it is rather alarming how uneducated the average ozzie is. Only yesterday i got asked are you pommie or english?????? also a woman said to me' my friend is in Paris or France, isnt that the same place?????? need i say more.

I dont mean all Ozzie are bad, i have a nice boyfriend and some great mates here but the above is what i have noticed generally. I am now having a baby here and i miss home terribly and you find yourself like someone else commented getting fed up of eating steak, endless BBQS, awful humidity that makes you feel housebound and being eaten alive my mossies. There isnt much to do here andmusg of oz to me all looks the same. I do think you get more for your money here as in houses and cars etc. For me I just can't imagine not living in UK again, as makes me so sad. But if i do live in UK again it means i may not be with my boyfriend and then issues regarding my child, but i know oneday i wil live in England again as that is truely where my heart is. I plan to work for travel company once my child old enough so i can get cheap flights more frequently etc. You do find you spend most of your time when here planning you next trip home.

Being an expat is not easy there is many advantages and many disadvantages, so i would say to anyone seriously think about it before you commit to anything.

what a load of cr----------p:mad:

I met my Australian boyfriend in Nov 07 in Dublin, we had whirl wind romance and after him coming to UK I came to oz on working holiday visa. Now resident here, looking back I was so engrossed meeting lovely new boyfriend didnt really think about long term effect moving here would have on me. I never really thought of it as long term as in living in Oz and didnt realise how much i would miss my family and friends. Also having a boyfriend from Oz he will never truely understand what i gave up for him which can and does cause great resentment at times from me. When i first went back on holiday by myself i didnt think I would come back here as being back in my old life was great, but then you miss your boyfriend and friends you have made here so you are torn between the to. I came back and then you wonder if you made right decision again.

Its hard to get a decent job here even when my visa said no work restrictions lots of companies wont employ you and when yuo do work somewhere alot of companies employ you as casual where you have no job security.

After a while the nasal australian voice gets to you like being called a Pom grinds you down as well as the constant racist remarks about anyone different that is basically not a white aussie from Brit background. I find this amazing that they will call fellow Australians names just because their parents are italien/Spanish but they were born here, like themselves. Yet they call us English Poms when in fact they are referring to themselves as the Poms, but most Ozzies dont even know what POM stands for. For a country that is made up of immigrants it hasnt socially accepted any one and each group sticks to there own. I find a lot of australian men would rather just spend time with other ozzie men than do stuff with there wives or girlfriends, like english guys do in the UK. Also it is rather alarming how uneducated the average ozzie is. Only yesterday i got asked are you pommie or english?????? also a woman said to me' my friend is in Paris or France, isnt that the same place?????? need i say more.

I dont mean all Ozzie are bad, i have a nice boyfriend and some great mates here but the above is what i have noticed generally. I am now having a baby here and i miss home terribly and you find yourself like someone else commented getting fed up of eating steak, endless BBQS, awful humidity that makes you feel housebound and being eaten alive my mossies. There isnt much to do here andmusg of oz to me all looks the same. I do think you get more for your money here as in houses and cars etc. For me I just can't imagine not living in UK again, as makes me so sad. But if i do live in UK again it means i may not be with my boyfriend and then issues regarding my child, but i know oneday i wil live in England again as that is truely where my heart is. I plan to work for travel company once my child old enough so i can get cheap flights more frequently etc. You do find you spend most of your time when here planning you next trip home.

Being an expat is not easy there is many advantages and many disadvantages, so i would say to anyone seriously think about it before you commit to anything.

:hug: I feel desperately sad for you - how are you going to feel in 10 years? 20 years? 30 years? Once you have a child in Australia you are pretty much shackled here until the child reaches adulthood because chances are no father is going to let them leave the country. You have a huge future in front of you and sadly it looks as if it is going to be in Australia, like it or not. If you dont like it now the chances are you will come to hate it before you can leave. I did what you are now doing - except it was never crystal clear to me that I wouldnt be leaving, I always thought we would have the idyllic 6months in each place retirement but he moved the goal posts on me. I survive (just) by going home at least once a year (only 6 more get ups to my next departure!!!!!) but financially that is a killer - I like your plan of working as a travel agent, sounds like a strategic move!

Let us hope that your OH is a reasonable man who will make the move back to civilization with you! LOL

Edited to say, I agree with Susie - get yourself out before your baby is born, if you can!

the six month thing must be common, i was okay til now, what i first thought was homesickness and adjusting to life in a new country I now actually think i am a bit depressed which is just not like me. Sun shining, pool in garden, lovely country but it means nothing when you aint got your true pals to share it with.

I really thought I would be okay here, have always felt on top of things, thought 'oh yeah I will make friends etc' but its harder than I ever thought it would be. Everyone will be reading and thinking 'she hasn't given it long enough' but I think I knew deep down after the first week Aus wasn't for me.

Life's too short to feel miserable, one of my kids (youngest) is very unsettled and missing is pals, the older is half in half ..hubby says he will go back if I want to that much so I am counting myself lucky that I have someone so supportive - so what if we go back and are skint, we've been lucky to come and try it but its just not for us.

One more thing - reading the negative posts on this site has made me realise I wasnt the only one feeling like this and wasnt a complete nutter for not loving being here in Aus and 'living the dream' - its kept me sane so I think the negative posts are just as important as the positive ones! I think its time to start planning the move back, you know in your heart of hearts whats right and for me its not Aus its the UK

Hi

Couldn't agree more. We love the area we live in but would love to live here with our friends who we have history with. It is just too far to maintain the friendships in the way in which we would like to. We are heading back this week after being here for a year.

The OH has a new motto "Life is more than a view".

I do agree that Skype can help and can be better than a phone call but also it can really hurt as you can see your friends familiar surroundings and wish that you were sitting on the sofa with them etc so Skype not always good when feeling homesick (for me anyway).

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

B

Guest emmalouise29

Im to far gone to be able to fly home now. I have gone back home twice last year for 6 weeks or so each time, plus my parents came over last year and my best friend from the UK, recently some more friends from UK came over to so I am lucky.

I dont hate it as much as it sounds like I do bit i do resent that my bf doesnt understand why it is hard for me here.

Im looking forward to going back home for Xmas this year : 0 )

Guest emmalouise29

Im entitled to my opnion and you must be an ozzie to say that. How dare you coment on my own personal experience.:arghh:

Guest emmalouise29

As most people here are from European decent and everyone here calls English people POMS you would think people would know that therefore you are English.

I did put in my statement that some aussie accents are nasal and awful not all, my boyfriends for one isnt. I think the womens accent here is the worse actually, no offence but it just seems loud, nasal and common. Again not all women but some. Im not basing everything on Geography but I have even been asked in my old job which was for insurance, do you celebrate Christmas In England????? it just amazes me. My child won't have strong aussie accent as will be mainly with me and watching UK tv, and will only have a mild aussie accent. You must be autralian replying like you did as you dont seem to get how hard it is to be so far away from home.

Yes there are dodgy haircuts in UK and we have chavs and gypoes, but you have red necks and a large amount of people who dont seem to wear shoes or thongs and walk around barefoot.

Im not sure what you mean by Nigel, sorry!!!!:no:

yes!! the female aussie accent:biglaugh: cuts right through you:arghh:

If i was married to one i'm sure she would be under the patio by now.

Guest Guest37175
what a load of cr----------p:mad:

Why is it Cr@p?. Bit harsh don't you think?. The poster is clearly having a hard time of it and yes made some criticisms of what she's experienced in Oz, but each to their own. What was it in particular that you take exception to?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Also with the humidity it is impossible to stay looking nice. I love getting ready to go somewhere nice out to dinner or going out in town etc, but by the time you have reached your destination even is in air con a sort walk from one place to another makes you look awful. If you have slightest curl in your hair, by time you get to your destination your lovely straightened hair is wavy and looks wet inplaces from humidity, make up started to run although mineral make up does stay on. everyone looks sweaty and hot and it isnt a good look.

If your like and loved the seasons back home most parts of Oz are to humid for living in, im lucky that there is 4 seasons where i am and in August it is actually cold here and even had ice on my windows one day. But when winter is over you dread the summer which sicks as Christmas is in the summer and its horrible in the hot and just doesnt feel like Christmas. which i hate saying as i love Christmas. Also you i feel guilty about moving here and how it has hurt my parents, they are great and have been here and are here again soon but its unfair on them to spend alot of money coming over and such along way as they get older i think and i feel bad as they supported me in coming here and try to make me feel better but i know i have broken there hearts and especially now i am having a baby here.

Constantly wearing shorts and t-shirts makes me feel old than i am as fashion doesnt really have a hold here, most people look like they are in 1980s still......oh dear yes the mullet is big here still!!!! Most women dont wear make up either and i think people look a lot older than there age from sun damage.

It sounds horrible, i am sure freezing in the uk for months on end is better and everyone coughing and spluttering with flu, me i have had it 5 times and all my family have it at the moment, spuing up and looking like zombies. Wearing t-shirts and shorts all the time making you look old, well they make me look 10yrs younger when i go on holiday, wrapped up in wooly clothes and a heavy duty coat and scarf, with the wind and freezing rain blowing me away, that makes me feel old, chapped lips and flaky skin and stuck in the house all the time. Not to worry its only costing me 2,000 pounds to keep warm, the gas and leccy are on 9 months of the year. Its a shame we can't swap lives, i am gagging to live in the sun and you are wanting it like i have it in the horrible freezing uk, or are you.

jim:cry:

I did put in my statement that some aussie accents are nasal and awful not all, my boyfriends for one isnt. I think the womens accent here is the worse actually, no offence but it just seems loud, nasal and common. Again not all women but some.

Im entitled to my opnion and you must be an ozzie to say that. How dare you coment on my own personal experience.

I dont know who upset you enough for your 'How dare you...' outburst but if you arent prepared to hear feedback from others you would be best advised not to post on this forum or on the internet. We post here because we want feedback.

BTW I think you should read your own posts a bit more as you did appear to imply all Australians.

:biggrin:

I dont know who upset you enough for your 'How dare you...' outburst but if you arent prepared to hear feedback from others you would be best advised not to post on this forum or on the internet. We post here because we want feedback.

BTW I think you should read your own posts a bit more as you did appear to imply all Australians.

"what a load of cr4p" is hardly constructive feedback though is it?:biggrin:

"what a load of cr4p" is hardly constructive feedback though is it?:biggrin:

Firstly, it wasn't me who posted that 'what a load of crap' feedback.

But if they were giving that feedback based on the original posts loose statements, poor grammar and bad spelling I really have to agree :policeman:.

Guest emmalouise29

Our air con is on all the time which is costs a fair it to and in the winter here it does actually get cold. I was the ocldest i have ever been here last August, which no one seems to believe. Not in actual temp but in UK are geared up with central heating no one here is so when it is cold and gets down to 6c with no heating it is cold and we had no insulation last year. However we do now and our air con is daul one so works as good heater as well.

Being on holiday and wearing shorts and tshirts is different to wearing it everyday, its the hunidity that is awful also very tiring. Im lucky that we do have seasons in this part of Oz and it isnt humid all the time. Oz is such a long way from home and although I am staying here it never feels completly like home. There isnt much to do here if your not into sunbathing, bqqs or water sports. However Sydney is only 2 hours away and i love Sydney.

Why dont you move here if you hate cold UK so much?:smile:

Guest emmalouise29

My how dare you post was for the person who wrote what a load of Crap to what I wrote.

I also thought this site was for English people and am surprised that offence would be taken by Australians. I did point out not all Australians and also that i have some good friends here and a boyfriend who are aussie!:laugh:

Guest guest30038

Eee by gum lass, I'm wondering if you have the same reaction to accents such as Glaswegian, Geordie, Scouse, Brum, West country etc? :goofy:

kev

Firstly, it wasn't me who posted that 'what a load of crap' feedback.

But if they were giving that feedback based on the original posts loose statements, poor grammar and bad spelling I really have to agree :policeman:.

i was just answering your

I dont know who upset you enough for your 'How dare you...' outburst
question, as for the spelling and grammer, does it really matter?

aldo-albums-public-picture5818-thanks.jpg

We are going back aswell, its expensive here and my teens after 7 months are unadapted with no friends - NOT WORTH IT. on my own or with young kids and with a chunk of cash - anything else - not fun at all

Guest siamsusie
Eee by gum lass, I'm wondering if you have the same reaction to accents such as Glaswegian, Geordie, Scouse, Brum, West country etc?

kev

:yes:.... yes and I happen to love my husband's Australian accent:biggrin: love susie

Guest siamsusie

i apologise,but my hair goes frizzy in the humidity just got to me

It was the mention of accents that tickled me.... now there are a few pommie accents which arent too easy on the ear, which I wont mention , I dont want the site to be overwhelmed with protests, its behaved itself for a few hours today:biggrin:

Archived