Six months in Oz - reality has set in

Guest SophieKin

Thanks for your honest thoughts. My wife & I moved to Geelong 3 years ago and were back in the UK in 6months. All the things you siad , food, etc.. the biggest for us was our kids schooling. Aussies are at a different stage, so our kids were 2 full school years ahead. However we are boomeranging back to Aus. Its amazing how one can easily forget the things that sends people away from UK. Its so easy to allow those petty little things take control and blocks out the good that Aus has to offer. We live in a great home , I run my own PLumbing business kids attend an excellant grammer school... But Aus is still calling.... nothing needs to be final in this age of easy travel. We are just waiting to hear what our kids need in the Aussie equivilant to gain entry to Queens Univerisity as they want to go there later on... & yes Aussies can & do qualify for UK uni... this was our biggest concern giving the awfull school in Geelong.

Try take a step back from it all actually wrtie down the likes & dislikes of each country... However sometimes we just need go with heart ? afterall life is to be enjoyed not endured... certainly the choice of long dark british winter over a heat wave would be in my calculations? kids are stuck indoors for months in UK....(if theyre young)

Remember that your kids will be classed as international students should they return for uni education and you will be forking out international student fees. If you can get them onto an IB program their year 12 results will be more easily transferred. Dont know about Queens in particular but in general you have to get a really really high Yr 12 mark to be considered for even a mediocre course in a UK uni. Can you wait until your kids have got their A levels or whatever before you uproot them especially given they are in a good grammar school

Remember too that the things that drove you back to UK from Aus are still there as well and the grass is the same colour greeny brown that it was when you decided to quit the first time around. However, you probably didnt give it long enough the first time around, it does seem that people are more likely to pingpong if they dont hang on for at least a year.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I must admit I am intrigued by some comments I have read, is it down to perception or being in different areas ? The belief that kids are all respectful of adults is amazing, is it so different where some people live as we don't see that here in Brisbane. I have to ask in that case who are all the kids that commit the crimes, the graffiti, violence etc ? That's why I ask is it a perception, is it what people want to see ?

Guest guest36187

I disagree for Brissie. I have seen nothing but respect from kids to me!

In the UK I used to have to cycle to work. I cycled past 2 ten year olds at 7pm at night who chased me on the bike calling me f---ing this and the other!

Guest ragdoll annie

I agree with you Joanne..we noticed the same here on the Gold Coast...much more respect from the younger ones..

Annie x

I must admit I am intrigued by some comments I have read, is it down to perception or being in different areas ? The belief that kids are all respectful of adults is amazing, is it so different where some people live as we don't see that here in Brisbane. I have to ask in that case who are all the kids that commit the crimes, the graffiti, violence etc ? That's why I ask is it a perception, is it what people want to see ?

The respect for adults from kids here is one of the more obvious advantages, Im surprised to hear your thoughts on it, and it looks like you may be the unfortunate one. Its not perception at all, but reality.

Guest chris955

Well I can only comment on what I have seen myself, I don't see an inordinate amount of respect by kids. I live in a good area, what would a bad one be like ? :laugh:

It's not my reality I'm afraid, I'm not saying they are rude but I can't say I have noticed they are different to anywhere else we have lived.

Guest ragdoll annie
Well I can only comment on what I have seen myself, I don't see an inordinate amount of respect by kids. I live in a good area, what would a bad one be like ? :laugh:

It's not my reality I'm afraid, I'm not saying they are rude but I can't say I have noticed they are different to anywhere else we have lived.

I can only comment on what i see also...i know what i experienced at home(UK), and i know what i experience here..and i know the difference...and i'm smart enough to know the difference is my reality and not my imagination or 'seeing what i want to see'.

Annie x

Guest chris955

There really is no need to be defensive, you should just be happy with your life and how you see things. We are all different. :wink:

Guest ragdoll annie
There really is no need to be defensive, you should just be happy with your life and how you see things. We are all different. :wink:

I am happy with my life and how i see things...thank god we are all different..:wink:

Annie x

Guest guest22466

I have to say the children in Australia I have encounted have been nice to be honest and they seem to socialize more with adults. I have worked with the teenagers here and they have always been respectful. I do think its like anywhere your going to to get good and bad experiences in every country.

I dont see that much difference to be quite honest. I have seen some really nice young people in UK doing good public service activities, pleasant, focussed and polite (cf all my friends kids for starters and also my extended family relatives and the grandkids of my parents friends). OTOH I have seen a few hoodies and there are kids I would cross the street to avoid.

Similarly in Aus I have seen some really nice kids doing good public service activities, pleasant, focussed and polite (my kids were good kids as were my friends' kids etc). However having worked in schools for over 25 years there are some kids that I wouldnt want to be in the same room as without protection.

One of my own kids has been mugged here - when he was a middle teen - by a gang of slightly older teens. My other son, living in London had nothing like that ever.

I have seen kids of 9 and 10 dressed to kill, talk about sex and who they are doing it with and my boss even reported in a quite separate conversation this morning that his daughter's school had done a survey which revealed the AVERAGE age of first sexual encounters amongst girls was 13 (one of the better schools around here too, I must add!). I dont think there is a universality of "nicer" Australian kids vs UK kids nor of more polite, more self assured, more naive (ie younger longer). I think it much of a muchness and personally blame the media for a lot of adolescent and pre-adolescent behaviour.

Guest chris955

I couldn't agree more Quoll, I have plenty of experience in both countries and see no real difference. Some would have us believe the UK is full of binge drinking, drug taking 12 year old sex maniacs. :confused:

Archived