Six months in Oz - reality has set in

Guest SophieKin

..... as for the spelling and grammer, does it really matter?

Yes - in my opinion spelling and grammar really do matter! It helps people understand, without ambiguity, what someone is trying to say.

<rant-on>

Its a valuable experience to learn from educated people and educated people usually write and speak well. If someone writes with poor grammar and to a lesser extent spelling its harder for them to be understood correctly and easier for the reader to assume a lack of education in the writer.

I am sometimes appalled at the poor standards of spelling and grammar in Australia. In Brisbane you can even see advertising signs spelled incorrectly.

If we degenerate to writing shorthand 'a la texting' then we lose the richness of the English language.

We, the English, are supposed to know how to write properly but some on this forum show neglect in this area.

</rant-off>

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
Yes - in my opinion spelling and grammar really do matter! It helps people understand, without ambiguity, what someone is trying to say.

<rant-on>

Its a valuable experience to learn from educated people and educated people usually write and speak well. If someone writes with poor grammar and to a lesser extent spelling its harder for them to be understood correctly and easier for the reader to assume a lack of education in the writer.

I am sometimes appalled at the poor standards of spelling and grammar in Australia. In Brisbane you can even see advertising signs spelled incorrectly.

If we degenerate to writing shorthand 'a la texting' then we lose the richness of the English language.

We, the English, are supposed to know how to write properly but some on this forum show neglect in this area.

</rant-off>

I think there are two trains of thought on this.... useful to be able to string a cv/letter together, but I would hate to think you are ostracised on a forum just because of bad spelling/grammer. No one is perfect and as long as your message is comprehensible, thats fine in my books.... anyway the medical profession are renowned for atrocious spelling:wink: Susie

Guest SophieKin

Just reading your post and I think you have really hit the nail on the head. It is deciding the right time to go back. I know I will return and my OH has agreed to this, but he does seem reluctant to give me an actual time. He doesnt want to return to soon and I feel like I am wasting time here wishing my life away. It isnt easy!!

How true I remember sitting here last year feeling so awful and then discovering PIO and really discovering how many people were unhappy....I too thought it was just me. Funnily enough though I was too surprised the amount of people who said to us that they do understand and wish they could do it...althought we have had some very negative comments too, its a very brave decision to make, personally for me so much harder than the one to come here. I am so glad we have made it though and now just waiting for the right time to get back....good luck in the future for you, I too have a great supportive husband very lucky:biggrin:

Guest SophieKin

EmmaLouise

I really feel for you.

Sometimes we all just want a rant however silly some things may sound to others, they all contribute to your feelings of wanting to be back home.

I hope you are able to sort something out when you have your baby if you still feel unsettled as it will make things harder. Have your discussed returning to the UK with your partner?

I hope things work out for you.

Guest guest30038
anyway the medical profession are renowned for atrocious spelling:wink: Susie

And illegibility...................Oh dear! Did I just start a sentence with "And"? :biglaugh:

kev

<rant-on>

</rant-off>

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

But seriously, I actually agree with your post but not to the extent that it bothers me that much.

Guest siamsusie
And illegibility...................Oh dear! Did I just start a sentence with "And"? :biglaugh:

kev

But you see Kevin I understood you, thats what counts:notworthy:lol

Guest guest30038
But you see Kevin I understood you, thats what counts:notworthy:lol

You're the only one that does! :biglaugh:

kev

Guest david60

its really hard for elder people we have our grandchildren thank god but there is not a lot to do in nsw and as for work forget it and we where stupid enough to pay thousands to come here thought the people where lovely and they is a lot of prejudice about terrible as most of aussie come from england

Guest siamsusie
its really hard for elder people we have our grandchildren thank god but there is not a lot to do in nsw and as for work forget it and we where stupid enough to pay thousands to come here thought the people where lovely and they is a lot of prejudice about terrible as most of aussie come from england

It sounds hard, particularly when you are older, there is no happy solution there, back in the Uk you would be pining for your g/children.

For me I guess I would pefer to stick this out than say a geriatric home in Balham with saliva dribbling down my face. Why not volunteer, thats guaranteed to make you some new friends, it just takes a wee bit of time:hug: Susie

Don't know what a UK retirement home is like, but over here they're expensive soul-less places. I used to go home crying every day when I worked in one. At least in the UK I think you can manage to live in the community longer - more services, things to do, others to 'pop round'....I hope!

I think you are right David, it is very difficult for older people to come out to Australia and essentially cut themselves off from a lifetime of social connections to chase their kids. Unless you are really outgoing (and sure, volunteering may help but it wont build those connections you have taken for granted) then you will be effectively isolated here and dependent upon your kid/s - whether that works or not is anyone's guess especially as part of the dependence will eventually be financial as your pension doesnt grow with you.

I have always said that sure it might be a kid's dream to be here and to bring their olds along with them but it may well be the olds' nightmare and whether they actively make that decision or come for fear of losing their grandkids is anyone's guess.

If I compare what my mother in law in Ballarat has with what my parents have in Cambridge I'd say that my parents have the edge by way of in home support, free medical as a right (the MIL has it because FIL was a POW but many older folk dont) and general social connectivity. The MIL stares at the walls in her nursing home and barely goes out unless we take her. Apart from the fact that growing old is not for pussies at the best of times, I think it is best to do it where you can be part of the community for longer and I remain to be convinced that that is here.

Guest sh7t man no way

an excellent true real life story which should act as a yard stick for many people with a singular view about the expectations in following there dreams of in living in Australia--you echo many of my thoughts on this subject,and i thank you for putting them all down in your life experiences of all that is good,and bad in living in a new country, far away from your comfort zone, which has served you so well in the past -- i think prior to peoples move to Australia they try to picture there feelings,and emotions to come to terms with what lies ahead, unfortunately this can only be achieved by the real experience of living there,and the day to day challenges this brings ---- again i thank you for your excellent post,and wish you all the success in the world-- lolxx alan:wubclub:

Guest AngieandMe

Hey all... god am so glad i found this site... well i have been here 3yrs in july2010. Am at the stage now that i have told my hubby i want 2 go home. I so miss my family and friends and 2 be honest i also miss the weather abit. The friends that i do have think am crazy for wanting 2 go back home... but like a few have said the big house the pool does not replace family and the happiness i had at home. I have 2 kids the eldest is coming 14 she so wants 2 go back home 2 and the wee 1 is coming 6 she missing the family 2. Both have said that they would love 2 go back. I like Australia and i think it has a lot 2 offer but its just not for me. Hubby loves it here but he is willing 2 leave and go back if that makes me happy. Am just worried that he will blame me and it will break the marriage if he cant settle back home again. Boy is my head pickle wish i had all the answers, reading some off the posts on this site has help me a bit so thank u.

Guest valleylass

Hi Angie and me

I think it is impossible to give anyone any useful advice with this decision but finding the thread on here will, I'm sure, enable you to draw up a plan to solve the problems you have outlined. Weigh up all options, check how everyone in your family is genuinely feeling, set up an exit strategy and be prepared to give it up if, when you begin to implement it , it starts to feel wrong. It is difficult for others in Oz to understand how you are feeling, so perhaps don't expect them to. My very best wishes

valleylass xx

Hey all... god am so glad i found this site... well i have been here 3yrs in july2010. Am at the stage now that i have told my hubby i want 2 go home. I so miss my family and friends and 2 be honest i also miss the weather abit. The friends that i do have think am crazy for wanting 2 go back home... but like a few have said the big house the pool does not replace family and the happiness i had at home. I have 2 kids the eldest is coming 14 she so wants 2 go back home 2 and the wee 1 is coming 6 she missing the family 2. Both have said that they would love 2 go back. I like Australia and i think it has a lot 2 offer but its just not for me. Hubby loves it here but he is willing 2 leave and go back if that makes me happy. Am just worried that he will blame me and it will break the marriage if he cant settle back home again. Boy is my head pickle wish i had all the answers, reading some off the posts on this site has help me a bit so thank u.

The element of these threads that really p.sses me off .....Is when people say " you must be mad for wanting to go home" to the UK -

I drive all over these islands ......Leigh on sea ( essex) on sunday ......cumbria on tuesday ......wales on wednesday .

At the moment the weather is cold ....and the UK looks " tired" again.....litter in the hedgerows etc .....RUN DOWN AND WORN OUT

The place isnt " finished" ,the people in it need a " boot up the arse".

The great things are too numerous to mention.....its just the politicians , and some of the people that live here that are the problem.

" PICK THE LITTER .....GET THE FLAGS OUT ......AND GET RID OF THIS GOVERNMENT " .....just in time for easter and a bit of sunshine ......the smell of freshly cut grass .....church bells .....the pub .....JOB DONE

Heck, you want to go back, your kids want to go back and hubby is willing to go back. Just book the plane tickets, give your hubby a big hug and tell him what a champ he is. I'm sure he'll soon settle back into UK life - sounds like the biggest reward for him will be to have a family who love him for supporting them. I think the marriage will have more chance of breaking down if you're all over here unhappy.

Guest LightOz

Hello,

I've been in tears reading this thread!

I've only been away from the UK since September and have not settled in here whatsoever. I really like Melbourne and we have been to some great places, but it's not home. Like a lot of you on here, we also thought we'd give it 2 years, but that seems so far away. I think I am missing it especially now because we have just found out I am pregnant with our first child and I feel like I'm missing out on so much not being able to be close to my family.

I don't work as I've been waiting to register with the teaching department here, which I was only able to do 4 weeks ago and it's unlikely I'll find a permanent position now. Hubby has found a job which pays well, so he's in a routine, but he is so supportive of me, which I am extremely grateful for. We're quite lucky in the respect that we only came over here with a couple of bags and have had 2 suitcases shipped, so it's not been a financial hardship so far. We are now is the serious discussions of returning back before the baby is due (October) or have the baby here and move back in about a year. I just can't seem to visualise us here with a baby. So much to think about!!

Hello,

I've only been away from the UK since September and have not settled in here whatsoever. I really like Melbourne and we have been to some great places, but it's not home. Like a lot of you on here, we also thought we'd give it 2 years, but that seems so far away. I think I am missing it especially now because we have just found out I am pregnant with our first child and I feel like I'm missing out on so much not being able to be close to my family.

I don't work as I've been waiting to register with the teaching department here, which I was only able to do 4 weeks ago and it's unlikely I'll find a permanent position now. Hubby has found a job which pays well, so he's in a routine, but he is so supportive of me, which I am extremely grateful for. We're quite lucky in the respect that we only came over here with a couple of bags and have had 2 suitcases shipped, so it's not been a financial hardship so far. We are now is the serious discussions of returning back before the baby is due (October) or have the baby here and move back in about a year. I just can't seem to visualise us here with a baby. So much to think about!!

Hi we have been here 6 years and live in Melbourne it has been the hardest thing we have ever done, we felt the same early on into our emigration and the main reason we stuck with it here was to get citizenship which was after 2 years back then. We have lived in various suburbs around Melbourne trying to find the place which felt right but it never happened we visited the UK last April and me and my partner thought it was great to have family and England back. Its very early in your emigration to be thinking about returning home but I can understand why you may feel this way, moving to Australia is a life experience which you can only work out as you live it as to if it works for you. For us we have no kids are family here so its quite different than it would be for a family with kids. We are returning to the UK in March and cant wait, you will be surprised at how many people on PIO are in similar situations and have the same mindsets, there are a lot of good people on here to get advive from. Your situation is one were you either bite the bullet and return to the UK while you can, are set yourself a goal in relation to living in OZ. Good luck with your decision and your not on your own believe me:biggrin:

Hello,

is this why when forces personel transfer to oz forces, the male forces person gets citizenship after three months and his oh has to wait 2years

Guest AngieandMe

Thank u for ur replys. Well lastnite i told family that we are coming back home.... oh the tears and joy in there voices . Kids are really excited and so am i. Just need to sell the house and get a new home for my dog:cry:. I feel awhole lot lighter. Hubby not saying much at all so i only hope he will forgive me in time.

Archived