thinking of going home to uk

plazze

I was recently in a similar mind frame to yourselves and have since returned to the UK. I think a lot of posters are right, it might just be a phase you are going through so it may be as well to give it a little longer. I on the other hand knew very early on that Australia just wasn't for me and am extremely happy being back where I belong. If you can get through all the bad feeling then you know it was just a bout of homesickness, but if it doesn't eventually leave you or it gets worse then you have your answer.

Most importantly listen to your heart!

All the best whichever you decide.

jackie xx

you have hit the nail on the head jackie its not a phase i just know this is not the place for me and this makes it easier for me to go home

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
am not unhappy at work it would take more than 10 oz guy to make me unhappy ,am not here for the money and could live for a while back home on little money and my wife has a job which is still called fo but for how long???? am lucky i have no debt or morgage here or there in uk and as someone said everthing is there ,have decided to go back anyway i dont think this is the place for us .thanks for the supory anyway

gary

Good luck Gary best wishes for you and your wife let us know how you get on when back in the UK

Geoffrey

my wife and i have being here 5 months now we are thinking of going home .we live in rockingham she is a nurse am a paint sprayer took me three months to find work we miss home and dont know if we like it here and ever will, everone says they move for the lifestyle what lifestyle , get home and do nothing maybe coz its winter i dont know i cant speak for everone but i dont find australia people freindly i think there rude bellive me am trying they ,where strugling to make freinds wife shifts are crap ,hey i might be a big straping scotsman but am almost crying writing this knowing what i gave up to come here .anyone thinking the same or anyone at home who went back

gary

You arent stuck out there and you two can decide if you want to go back and remember that - maybe oz not for you, maybe its just the area you are living in doesnt give you the lifestyle you need but do what makes you happy and dont stay there if you really dont like it, life too short, isnt it good you realise it early on instead of years down the line and feel like you are wasting time - best wishes to you both whatever you decide:notworthy:

Guest guest12791
Dont come back here, its raining in the summer as usual, no jobs, **** goverment and still welcoming anyone no matter wot!! I.E those who dont wanna work, sponge off NHS or preach we hate UK on a street corner!!

hi yorkshireclan are you in barnsley? i was born in monk bretton, where you heading and when , annemarie:wubclub:

Guest LukeSkywalker

Originally Posted by Yorkshireclan viewpost.gif

Dont come back here, its raining in the summer as usual, no jobs, **** goverment and still welcoming anyone no matter wot!! I.E those who dont wanna work, sponge off NHS or preach we hate UK on a street corner!!

You are dead right. But be warned - there are a lot of people on this board that think that welcoming all comers inot the UK of the type you mention is a "good thing". Really - they do.

Guest LukeSkywalker
am not unhappy at work it would take more than 10 oz guy to make me unhappy ,am not here for the money and could live for a while back home on little money and my wife has a job which is still called fo but for how long???? am lucky i have no debt or morgage here or there in uk and as someone said everthing is there ,have decided to go back anyway i dont think this is the place for us .thanks for the supory anyway

gary

Good luck. With no debt in either place and a job that is in demand you will do well. At least you gave it a try. Having the peace of mind knowing you did that will be worth it.

I admire you for havign the guts to (a) try (b) admit it wasn't for you.

Guest Mannys04

This is quite a tricky one, because I think it is natural to feel homesick around the 5/6 month period. Things start to settle down and you suddenly come to the realisation that 'this is it' and you start to reflect on what you have achieved and wonder if its right for you. I have been in Oz 2.5 yrs and remember feeling the same as you 5 months into it, I remember feeling is this the right place for me, I'm bored, I miss my family, friends, my house back in the UK. But the feelings did pass however 2 yrs later those feelings have surfaced again, so did I just push them to the back of mind, did I really know that Oz wasn't for me back then and ignored it, or will us Brits always have feeling of homesickness because its not our country, way of life and whats familiar to us?

However If I had returned after that 5 months I wouldn't have known what I know now and wouldn't change my experiences here whether I evetually go back or not. I think your feelings will pass especially when the summer kicks in and your'e living the lifestyle that you dreamed about back in the UK...Never say forever but you owe it to yourselves to give it chance.

hi there plazze

SNAP!! I agree with everything you say! even the bloody aussies, how bloody rude are they!! I think it must be the old grunter ones which are the worst! lol

Lifestyle what bloody lifestyle you need money to have a good lifestyle and stuck on this bloody 457 visa, house for sale in the uk, we get bugger all off either government and struggling to live. Ive had to take a fulltime job and we both on less money than home.. Barry always home by 5.30 and me worked part time. Now he leaves at 7.00 gets home 6.30 treated like **** in work by the bloody rude aussies!! Had to stick kids in aftyer schl care which strips me of most of by hard earned buck!!

LIFE SUX IN OZ and to top it all off friggin decent pubs~!

I wanna go home........boohoo.....I wish I coould but we cant even afford to send 1 of us home let alone the family!

jules x

Guest inlimbo
Originally Posted by Yorkshireclan viewpost.gif

You are dead right. But be warned - there are a lot of people on this board that think that welcoming all comers inot the UK of the type you mention is a "good thing". Really - they do.

What a load of tripe...I like the UK and I like Oz but Oz has the same problems as the UK as far as I could see and you can make a good life in either Country if you have the mind-set...Luke...have you ever lived and worked in Oz as I have? because if you have not you are in for a big surprice if you think Oz does not have the same problems as the UK.

Guest LukeSkywalker
What a load of tripe...I like the UK and I like Oz but Oz has the same problems as the UK as far as I could see and you can make a good life in either Country if you have the mind-set...Luke...have you ever lived and worked in Oz as I have? because if you have not you are in for a big surprice if you think Oz does not have the same problems as the UK.

Yes, worked in Sydney. Never noticed the problems - apart from Lekemba/Liverpool but I never needed to go there. Having said that it was several years ago. My comment is with regard to the number of Brits that seem to just accept immigration versus Australians. BUT again my perception could well be wrong. My life in the UK is quite super in many ways, I just want a better life (or my perception of it) form my kids. But if I cant earn the money in Australai etc then wont go. With an Aussie wife, I always have the opportunity so at least I'm not completely stuffed.

Guest inlimbo
Yes, worked in Sydney. Never noticed the problems - apart from Lekemba/Liverpool but I never needed to go there. Having said that it was several years ago. My comment is with regard to the number of Brits that seem to just accept immigration versus Australians. BUT again my perception could well be wrong. My life in the UK is quite super in many ways, I just want a better life (or my perception of it) form my kids. But if I cant earn the money in Australai etc then wont go. With an Aussie wife, I always have the opportunity so at least I'm not completely stuffed.

Fair comment....lifestyle is not much different IMO you make it what want in both Countries, I just cannot belive how people think Oz is so much better than the UK.:eek:

It has the same muppet type goverment and all the problems of the UK with a bit more sun, I could happily live in either Country but just want a change so will try and persuade my wife to go back but she hated the place with a passion..:dull:

Guest LukeSkywalker
Fair comment....lifestyle is not much different IMO you make it what want in both Countries, I just cannot belive how people think Oz is so much better than the UK.:eek:

It has the same muppet type goverment and all the problems of the UK with a bit more sun, I could happily live in either Country but just want a change so will try and persuade my wife to go back but she hated the place with a passion..:dull:

I agree 100% with that. There are many things that I'll miss about the UK (live football, walking down the Thames etc). I think a lot of people do thnk that one country is infinitely better than the other - but like you I think they are deluded. My aunt emigrated to California in 1955. Her mind was forever in 1955 in the UK. She was shocked to hear we had things like, er, fresh fruit, videos etc.

Most people remember what they want to remember and see what they want to see. I think like you I could happily live in either place, but suffering from depression in the Winter makes it a little harder for me to stay here.

My wifes an Aussie, and she ..... hates the place. I had to marry the one didnt I?

Guest inlimbo
I agree 100% with that. There are many things that I'll miss about the UK (live football, walking down the Thames etc). I think a lot of people do thnk that one country is infinitely better than the other - but like you I think they are deluded. My aunt emigrated to California in 1955. Her mind was forever in 1955 in the UK. She was shocked to hear we had things like, er, fresh fruit, videos etc.

Most people remember what they want to remember and see what they want to see. I think like you I could happily live in either place, but suffering from depression in the Winter makes it a little harder for me to stay here.

My wifes an Aussie, and she ..... hates the place. I had to marry the one didnt I?

Yep, suck it and see is the only way to find out if you like living in a different COUNTRY..as I have said before...I could happily live in either Country.

I'm not exactly the most outgoing person but I've NEVER had the **** put on my by an Aussie because I'm a Pom. Most are willing to have a joke about the cricket or the rugby, the beer or the weather.

I remember too, back in 1978, hearing tales from blokes who'd been out in the 60's about how much the Aussies hated us.

The first Aussies I met were the three young blokes I shared a cabin with from Singapore to Fremantle and they all shook my hand.

It always takes a while to settle in a new place. I reckon it would have been just as hard if I'd gone from Southampton to Newcastle upon Tyne.

I go down my local pub here - the East Hills Hotel - full of 'tradies'. I recognize a few of them now but never speak - that's my Pommie reticence I guess. Give it a bit longer and I'll be in with them!

I dont think the Poms are first in the firing line if Aussies are going to have a go at anyone these days. It was certainly advisable to lose any English accent way back in the 70s but even then there were a new group of whipping boys coming up behind us with the "Wogs" and I have Greek and Italian friends who bore the brunt of that little bout of xenophobia. Then caucasians were pretty much well accepted during the influx of the "yellow peril" and now Europeans and Asians are pretty well accepted because most of the negativity is now focussed on the ubiquitous MOMEA (men of middle eastern appearance) even though it is not PC to talk about that and government wouldnt be caught dead saying anything even vaguely denigatory about them. There is also a new incoming class of Africans who are getting a certain amount of flak at the moment too.

If Poms are getting a hard time I suspect it is because they may be living in enclave type areas - the Aussies do not like ethnic enclaves of any description. Also if they have a recognizably Pommie accent they will cop some ribbing (usually when England is being soundly thrashed at some vague ball sport) or if they happen to have said at one time "Back home we ....." But for the most part, Australians couldnt give a toss about whether you are a Pom or not - they will love you better if you are Australian born or at least a long time resident but usually they wont object to you.

Guest sytner

hang in there mate i am a big strapping englishman who has been here 2 years with my wife and children,i came as a spray painter on a 457,i have had days that i have cried aswell,winter is hard because summer is so nice i live in berwick victoria we do like the life but i think alot about been in someone else country there will always be *********** in there back yard, but just move on i think the oppatunties are greater here,you are more than welcome to email me as i find it doeas help to speak to others inthe same situation:jiggy:

Guest keith lancaster

We have been here 18 months now and really struggeling.

Will we go back to the UK.

mmmmmmm........Dont think so.

You see, for most working class in the UK we've been screwed. Now I'm not looking for a big debate in this. The fact remains if I was Still residing in the UK I would have lost every thing . To me it was adout survival,(it took us over 2 years to get here so we had an idea it was comming) now money does'nt buy you happiness but it does give you choices. Lukeskywalker sounds like a bright chap and lets say he is right about his economy speach.....for me there is no question where I'd rarther be. (even without his speach, you have to be blind to not see what is going on)

Just for the record I do miss home alot, but I also remember more strongly why I left.

Once again no one said it would be easy, in fact it is bloody hard but to most, you have come this far!.

Good luck to you all eitherway.

Quoll, love your posts . Pop in and see us next time you are in the UK, and i can point you to stratford upon avon and warwick castle. If ive got time off ,i may even do my "pommie tour guide" bit.

I have done that for many aussies over the years........most of them i didnt know " oh its matt ,iam a mate of steves,he said you would see us right ".

Lets cut to the chase . If you have a pom arrive .......hes a pom,but his kids wont be. Same as Irish and most other nationalities.

His kids will be seen at the mcg waving the green and gold ........bloody right too ( my daughters an aussie ,left oz when she was 2 ,she still wears the green and gold ).

A lot of the nationalities they are letting in now,will NEVER be aussies ,they have no intention.

Just mark my words ,when oz plays India or Pakistan in 25 years time, at home .

Lets see who these 2nd or 3rd generation "aussies" will be supporting.

Quoll, love your posts . Pop in and see us next time you are in the UK, and i can point you to stratford upon avon and warwick castle. If ive got time off ,i may even do my "pommie tour guide" bit.

No worries!

I met up with a mate at Kenilworth in April - it is one of my favourite castles although I dont like what they have done with the knot garden I'm afraid. My friend lives in Stourbridge and would you believe she had never been there! I know she has been to Stratford because we had a day there together the last time I was over! Her favourite is Witley Court and I went there last time too - that was impressive.

However the best thing in that area was going to see Shakespeare performed at Ludlow Castle - have you tried that? Absolutely brilliant!

I'm getting nostalgic just thinking of it all!

Guest truemanfamily

me and my wife used to think like that then we made the jump back to uk big mistake we are now paying shipping to come back to perth in october dont do it i think all places get you down when you live there then you blame the move.

Guest jackie Macdonald
me and my wife used to think like that then we made the jump back to uk big mistake we are now paying shipping to come back to perth in october dont do it i think all places get you down when you live there then you blame the move.

I feel the complete opposite. I lived in Australia, moved back to the UK, returned again to Australia and am now back in the UK where I intend to stay.

I have learnt some hard lessons along the way.

As much as we should remember why we wanted to emigrate, we are all too eager to forget the reasons we chose to return.

Jackie x

Guest ttaylor

I came back in february and i am now so pissed of with the uk government ,the job crisis, the weather and the general state of the UK i am coming back in september try to stick it mate, things seem worse over here

Guest Selina12

Hey

Hang in there, I moved here on my own and its taken me quite a well to get to know people, My first year here all I wanted to do was go back to the uk, but I was told to stick it out as it gernally takes 18months to settle anyway. Im so glad i did I have made some lovely friends that wil be friends for life.

Hope it all works out for you, once summer months arrive things will prob change also as you will be outdoors alot more.

Selina

I am so happy my Australian husband likes the UK and doesn't mind settling here. Mind you I've often said it would have been easier if he had been European and could've just "walked in, got a job etc" instead of all the visa hoops he had to go through..(same as those migrating the other way). Anyway he is now a dual citizen of Australia and the UK. Like most of us working and living here he moans about the Government and council tax and the robbing barstewards who are always after our money! But its swings and roundabouts...we have high heating bills in winter..they have high cooling bills in summer.

We lived in Adelaide before deciding the UK was for us....love going for a holiday and to see family....but cant see us living there again.

And by the way I agree with the earlier poster...don't ever say "in the UK we do this or that"..most of the aussies are not interested..they're Australian and in their eyes thats the best thing to be.

Heck lots know very little of the "outside world". My sis in law asked if we had supermarkets and shopping malls! Lots still think of the UK as it was in "Heartbeat" times!

Anyway rant over!

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Guest truemanfamily

where did you live in aus though, we lived in perth and returned to newcastle. we were in perth 5 years been here 3 cant wait to get back in october

I feel the complete opposite. I lived in Australia, moved back to the UK, returned again to Australia and am now back in the UK where I intend to stay.

I have learnt some hard lessons along the way.

As much as we should remember why we wanted to emigrate, we are all too eager to forget the reasons we chose to return.

Jackie x

Archived