thinking of going home to uk

plazze

Well since you ask 2 things.

Firstly my father is close to death with terminal lung cancer. That is making me feel very odd.

Secondly last weekend (Sat) my wonderful wife was rushed to hospital with suspected viral meningitus and given a 50/50 of making it to Monday. Same hospital.

She is an Aussie, but much prefers the UK. I suppose in truth I could just move everyone - the job I have been offered pays double my UK salary blah blah. But to be honest it's not the UK economy that currently worries me so much - it IS shot to pieces, but so are my nerves. I'm just not sure how much mroe stress I can take. Leaving my mum 48 hours after she buries her husband of 52 years, leaving my wife and kids behind for 3 months, making them leave top quality private schools with some great friends, making my son leave the Arsenal football academy and a lot of other things.

All because I want to go back to a high powered job and live in the sun.

Perspective. Maybe I'm gaining some perspective. I haven't changed my mind about the UK. But perhaps now I will add the suffix "unless we fight back".

So if I stay I will immerse myself in far-right politics and campaign for England to go it alone and leave the Union as soon as possible. Clamp down on immigration (inc. the Scots). Create an English parliament. Fight for my race, my country.

Luke,really sorry to hear your news - i have lived in both places ,.Do you really want to add emigration to your pile of stress at the moment?

Melbourne isnt " living in the sun" by the way - they have some ****e weather as well .

As you know ,i dont like Melbourne anyway - what about a move within the UK until things settle down ?.

There are many people right behind you on the other things you mentioned.

Its going to " kick off" globally soon ,so where you live isnt going to make much difference.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came back in 2005 after 30 years in Oz. Lots of different reasons, but I never really intended to be away so long. A word of advice, if you have an Aussie Super plan and some spare cash, it will be a lot better investment than over here in the UK if you come back. Go with one of the bigger companies (mines with AMP) where you only need to sate that you have returned to UK to live permanently, to get your money released. Hope this helps.

I came back in 2005 after 30 years in Oz. Lots of different reasons, but I never really intended to be away so long. A word of advice, if you have an Aussie Super plan and some spare cash, it will be a lot better investment than over here in the UK if you come back. Go with one of the bigger companies (mines with AMP) where you only need to sate that you have returned to UK to live permanently, to get your money released. Hope this helps.

I'm heading back Jan time also - need to sell house first. Didn't think you could get your super released even if you say you're returning permanently - thought rules had changed - do you know something I don't? I would love to be able to draw my super out and take Aussie dollars back to UK. I am with Colonial First State.

Guest siamsusie
Crusader.jpg

You guys need a time machine to go back to the good old days of the 11th/12th century--- very sad.

that says it all:wubclub:

Guest Guest31881
Generally only temporary residents leaving Australia can access their superannuation ,at least that is the situation as I understand it.

When can I access my super benefits?

Good luck with your plans.

Just a thought for those thinking of returning to UK..... Is it possible for those who have a 'super' fund here to transfer it to a 'super' fund in the UK if you go back perminantly, I know you can bring your super fund from the UK and transfer to one here, just wondering if it works the other way, with the exchange rate at the moment if people going back can get it transfered they could end up with a tidy sum in a UK fund?:notworthy:

I'm heading back Jan time also - need to sell house first. Didn't think you could get your super released even if you say you're returning permanently - thought rules had changed - do you know something I don't? I would love to be able to draw my super out and take Aussie dollars back to UK. I am with Colonial First State.

Sorry, I need to clear this up. I had been back in UK for 3 years before I contacted my Australian Super Fund. I explained that I had returned to the UK permanently and how soon could I release my funds. They sent forms by email saying I could do it when I like. I believe they have to be transferred into a UK based fund, not cashed up. I haven't actually done it yet because of the financial crisis. However, I have duel citizenship, but AMP never queried that. The best thing would be for each individual to contact their individual Fund.

Finally, the gist of my post is that you will get a lot better return on your investment by leaving it in Oz (if possible) than you will get if you bring it back to the UK (at this present time).

Just a thought for those thinking of returning to UK..... Is it possible for those who have a 'super' fund here to transfer it to a 'super' fund in the UK if you go back perminantly, I know you can bring your super fund from the UK and transfer to one here, just wondering if it works the other way, with the exchange rate at the moment if people going back can get it transfered they could end up with a tidy sum in a UK fund?:notworthy:

Yes, this is what I intend to do when the exchange rates and recovery in the UK permit. Also, in the UK, you can set up your own fund, make your deposit, then contribute a small amount until you get a proper income. If you put in say £80 per month, many funds will add the Tax Break of £20 making your total investment £100 per month. Then you can increase your contribution once you are working. I suggest a look at the Virgin Money fund.

Guest LukeSkywalker

how do i pm you ?
I think I just sent you a message. If it works and you end me one back I'll send you my email address. Easier than this bulletin board thing.

Thats not the reality - the reality is as below. I want people to FIT IN or leave. Isn't that what everyone says is the key to success in Oz?

http://www.julyseventh.co.uk/images/bus_large.jpg

What total bollox , why do they need IT professionals or teckies because their systems are in need of upgrading but youu cant advise them of bchange ,on the immigration front theres more somalians ,chinese ,indians in oz than there are in ther uk ., you can set up your own fori=um nazis in oz , all this filfth you spout and you dare to support the british legion who foght against nations and an ugly doctrine called fascism . Yes I`m an old git gpt parents and rellies in the 2 wars against fascism . I come on here and spout crap and negative posts if you feel that way , I come on for alaugh after a few beers and post a bit of fun , but on this weekend and the respect it should receive ,I feel compelled to post against you and your fascist crap , bnp **** , the boys in the 2 world wars fought against predudice and fascism and won , so all this respect you spout is crap , its like sayin all the sacrifice aganst the kaiser and the nazi regime was pointles because we suupport their policies HYPOCRITE

Guest siamsusie

What total bollox , why do they need IT professionals or teckies because their systems are in need of upgrading but youu cant advise them of bchange ,on the immigration front theres more somalians ,chinese ,indians in oz than there are in ther uk ., you can set up your own fori=um nazis in oz , all this filfth you spout and you dare to support the british legion who foght against nations and an ugly doctrine called fascism . Yes I`m an old git gpt parents and rellies in the 2 wars against fascism . I come on here and spout crap and negative posts if you feel that way , I come on for alaugh after a few beers and post a bit of fun , but on this weekend and the respect it should receive ,I feel compelled to post against you and your fascist crap , bnp **** , the boys in the 2 world wars fought against predudice and fascism and won , so all this respect you spout is crap , its like sayin all the sacrifice aganst the kaiser and the nazi regime was pointles because we suupport their policies HYPOCRITE
Extremely well said Mally:notworthy:

Guest johnnyc

We've been here for just over 3 years and live in Kwinana....i've no intention of staying here any longer than i need to....i want to travel..and that's not easy or cheap to do from the the most remote city in the world...i miss sporting events....rock shows....LIFE !!!! so i'll tolerate it a bit longer...then off to somewhere in middle europe hopefully.....we'll see

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone,

those that are coming back good luck to you all, those who are thinking about it be warned, the jobs market in the UK is the worst it has been for over 40yrs. Announced today-5,000 jobs going at TSB, RBS just recently announce 2,000 jobs lost, 1800 going at BA, thousands of other jobs lost all over the country, but hey the good news some supermarket chain has announced some new jobs, crap pay and conditions, but its still good news, or is it. Experts say there will be another 500,00 job losses in the next year, i predict more when the Lizard Cameron takes over from the current idiot in charge of the country. Best of luck where ever you all end up.

jim.

Hi Plazze, don't know if you are still in Oz as you wrote your initial post 3 months ago. From one strapping Scot to another I can fully understand your thoughts. I have been here since july and have found myself in tears every week, I was probably 5 the last time I cried! I don't have good and bad days, just bad days and 'better' days. I do not understand this as I have been to Australia to visit my sister just about every year for the past 10 years, so it isn't like I don't know what Australia was like. I always hated leaving and have spent ages dreaming of living down here. Now I am here I just want to go back. I miss my family, I loved my job and am regretting ever resigning, I just want to go out every friday night with my mates, but havent got any here. I havent been for a night out since I have arrived.... just as well actually as a pint costs over $8 (..that's not the only thing I have noticed that's surged in price since I was last here) I am still looking for work and am living off my UK account which is painful given the dire exchange rate at present. Unfortunatelly my job in the UK has been filled and my flat is now occupied. I seriously can not see how I could go back as would not have many of the things that I am actually missing. I just feel I am in no mans land at the moment and it makes me sick every day thinking about what I have done and if it will ever work out here. Does this get better???

hi just wondered were in melbourne you are? Know a few pubs we like to go to an they really friendly,

• 4 years later...

Archived