thinking of going home to uk

plazze

my wife and i have being here 5 months now we are thinking of going home .we live in rockingham she is a nurse am a paint sprayer took me three months to find work we miss home and dont know if we like it here and ever will, everone says they move for the lifestyle what lifestyle , get home and do nothing maybe coz its winter i dont know i cant speak for everone but i dont find australia people freindly i think there rude bellive me am trying they ,where strugling to make freinds wife shifts are crap ,hey i might be a big straping scotsman but am almost crying writing this knowing what i gave up to come here .anyone thinking the same or anyone at home who went back

gary

I agree that the Oz's are NOT as friendly as us from the UK, and that takes a while to get used too, I've been here 2 years and still find it hard, and have made no friends whatsoever !

But when weighing up the advatages and the disadvantages Oz still comes out on top.

Give it a while longer, and I agree with other posts, maybe try moving ?

Hang on in there !

:hug:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dashmilo

Well I have read all the thread today. I have to agree it is such a hard decicion of what to do. I am in the situation of trying to decide between staying or going back. My story is, arrived in 1996, loved it, got married to fellow pom, had 2 kids then got transfer back to uk. HATED the uk for the 1st year then moved to wonderful village and had great time. Then we both became redundent and moved back to OZ. This was in jan 2008.

Since then I have been so unsettled. I have had the worse experiences that are possible. In Novemeber I had the call we all dread, my mother was dying. I made it back just in time. Then in feb this year my very fit father had a brain haemorrage and had the call again. Again I got back just in time.

So I am here having lost both my parents and have to say I regret coming back here. I now realise there is NOTHING as important as family and writing this I guess I am making the decision to go back to what remains of my family.

I cant say where is best, I love it here for many reasons, I have never had any Australians being rude to me and have made lots of good friends who I will miss. But where do I want to grow old? surrounded by family and friends I think.

Guest Chrissygirl

we have been here 6 months, and very homesick, but only for friends, since we have both been working, much better, not many brits in Canberra either so no meetups or social groups goin gon here, but husband just secured job in brissie so we are off and will start again, each day gets better, and we gave ourselves two years. It comes and goes in waves, but everyone back home says its bad, so give it two years at least, and try some socials. We made one set of friends who arrived same week as us, met them at a house viewing, and dont know what we would have doen without them. So just find someone and it will be heaps better. BTW spend all day sunday crying, but back up again today.

Chrissy

Guest Andrewkafp

I think it has a lot to do with how much money you have and where you live. If you live in a place like along the coast with some nice beach around you or have a nice home with an inground pool, an some cash in the bank for frequent trips up to Port Douglas, or interstate you would most likely not even be thinking of back 'ome...

However most us perishers are just basic workers with a budget and have to get the most out of what we have and what we earn. In this case we always seem to be trying to find happiness without the big spend. So this is where freinds, family and keeping yourself occupied is so important. Have a look at these professional sportsmen.. like Shane Warne and Wayne Carey.

A couple of great role models for the youngsters.. NOT. But because they have money, they can just stumble through life without worrying about anything, because they know that they can always move or move back or quit a job or get a new partner (or 2) Life's good for the wealthy, but a struggle for the rest of us.

Well I have read all the thread today. I have to agree it is such a hard decicion of what to do. I am in the situation of trying to decide between staying or going back. My story is, arrived in 1996, loved it, got married to fellow pom, had 2 kids then got transfer back to uk. HATED the uk for the 1st year then moved to wonderful village and had great time. Then we both became redundent and moved back to OZ. This was in jan 2008.

Since then I have been so unsettled. I have had the worse experiences that are possible. In Novemeber I had the call we all dread, my mother was dying. I made it back just in time. Then in feb this year my very fit father had a brain haemorrage and had the call again. Again I got back just in time.

So I am here having lost both my parents and have to say I regret coming back here. I now realise there is NOTHING as important as family and writing this I guess I am making the decision to go back to what remains of my family.

I cant say where is best, I love it here for many reasons, I have never had any Australians being rude to me and have made lots of good friends who I will miss. But where do I want to grow old? surrounded by family and friends I think.

I really feel for you, you have to follow your heart, and if that means going back to Uk then so be it, it's what's best for you.

Guest ThomasForesterFamily

Lived just up the road in Kwinana for 2 years up until may last year. My wife and I both found it hard to settle. I am an electrician and my wife works in care. They are not as skilled as us and yet still had to prove myself with stupid trade tests. You may settle more if you give it longer. I also found a lot of the Aussies rude and also very blinkard, I suppose this is because a lot of them have never travelled and so have no comparisons to make.

We came home mainly because we had our daughter and we believe she will have a better and more rounded education. We do miss things but are both sure we made the right decision.

Good luck with your decision. Remember, when you reminise you always think of the good things and not the bad!

Hi Guys - its great that you gave it a go.. thats a big step in itself. Better to have tried and changed you mind rather than always have 'wondered' and regretted.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

My Aussie father in law is like that..."Why would I wanna leave Australia when I already live in the best country in the world? Aussie all the way!"....he's never been out of Australia. Thank goodness his son wasnt like that. Saying that when we moved back to the UK..HE had to sit all his tickets here too as Aussie ones werent valid in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...

Gary, you and your wife do yourself a favour and go home.

We have been in and around Australia for five years and nobody can say we haven't given it a big go.

Mateship = racism

We have tried different areas and have found the same everywhere we go.

We are going home for` the new year

We started in South Australia, went to QLD, bush and city. Went to Tassie, I am a tradesman and my wife is a teacher. We have all on getting a cleaning job.

I have never come across a more biggotted two faced place in all my life.

We are going home satisfied we have given it a go and ready for home and a decent pint.

Australia is sub standard proffessionally and culturally. They have to keep you at bay to stop you showing them up. There are plenty of people in this country in denial but if you want to be happy go home and treat your last days as a holiday.

We went back to England for a hol last year to make sure and it really made our mind up. We did not realise how much we missed it. Our appreciation of home now is immense and can,t wait.

England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland for all its warts and pitfalls far out weighs this cultureless, cheap, unproffessional, boring, too hot, lying, cheating, don,t phone you back god foresaken hole!

Oh nice sunny day day though and nice view and another same view and another same view and another same view.

See you in the pub mate and i,m sure it will still be open after eight

Regards now more than ever Glad to be BRITISH

Guest LukeSkywalker

We have been in and around Australia for five years and nobody can say we haven't given it a big go.

Mateship = racism

We started in South Australia, went to QLD, bush and city. Went to Tassie, I am a tradesman and my wife is a teacher. We have all on getting a cleaning job.

We are going home satisfied we have given it a go and ready for home and a decent pint.

Australia is sub standard proffessionally and culturally. They have to keep you at bay to stop you showing them up. There are plenty of people in this country in denial but if you want to be happy go home and treat your last days as a holiday.

We went back to England for a hol last year to make sure and it really made our mind up. We did not realise how much we missed it. Our appreciation of home now is immense and can,t wait.

England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland for all its warts and pitfalls far out weighs this cultureless, cheap, unproffessional, boring, too hot, lying, cheating, don,t phone you back god foresaken hole!

Oh nice sunny day day though and nice view and another same view and another same view and another same view.

So, is that a "yes" or "no" for Australia then?

Guest ElizaBee
So, is that a "yes" or "no" for Australia then?

Ha Ha

Yes, I think you should get off the fence Carrie and tell us how you really feel!! lol

I agree with you, by the way xx

Mateship = racism

THIS POST GAVE ME A GREAT LAUGH, THE KIND OF LAUGHS I USED TO HAVE BACK IN ENGLAND WITH MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY, DONT HAVE MANY OF THEM HERE, KNOW WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM, AND TO BE HONEST, OR ARE WE ALL BEING HONEST ABOUT BEING HERE, IF WERE WERE 100% HAPPY WITH OUR LIVES IN OZ WHY THEN WOULD WE SPEND OUR TIME ON A FORUM NOT JUST RESPONDING TO THREADS, BUT THE TIME WE SPEND READING THEM, SPEAKING TO PEOPLE WE HAVE NEVER MET OR NOT LIKLY TO MEET IN SOME CASES, HOW MANY PEOPLE DID THIS IN THE UK, i KNOW I DID NOT BECAUSE I WAS TOO BUSY IN SPARE TIME ENJOYING FRIENDS AND FAMILY NIGHTS OUT, THEATRE, TRAVEL TO EUROPE, OR JUST NIPPING INTO A MATES HOUSE FOR A COFFE AND A GOOD OLD CHIN-WAG, NIGHT OR DAY, ITS BORING HERE, I MISS LAUGHING THE KIND OF LAUGHTER WHERE YOU HAVE TEARS ROLLING DOWN YOUR FACE AND YOUR STOMACH HURTS.

Guest LukeSkywalker
THIS POST GAVE ME A GREAT LAUGH, THE KIND OF LAUGHS I USED TO HAVE BACK IN ENGLAND WITH MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY, DONT HAVE MANY OF THEM HERE, KNOW WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM, AND TO BE HONEST, OR ARE WE ALL BEING HONEST ABOUT BEING HERE, IF WERE WERE 100% HAPPY WITH OUR LIVES IN OZ WHY THEN WOULD WE SPEND OUR TIME ON A FORUM NOT JUST RESPONDING TO THREADS, BUT THE TIME WE SPEND READING THEM, SPEAKING TO PEOPLE WE HAVE NEVER MET OR NOT LIKLY TO MEET IN SOME CASES, HOW MANY PEOPLE DID THIS IN THE UK, i KNOW I DID NOT BECAUSE I WAS TOO BUSY IN SPARE TIME ENJOYING FRIENDS AND FAMILY NIGHTS OUT, THEATRE, TRAVEL TO EUROPE, OR JUST NIPPING INTO A MATES HOUSE FOR A COFFE AND A GOOD OLD CHIN-WAG, NIGHT OR DAY, ITS BORING HERE, I MISS LAUGHING THE KIND OF LAUGHTER WHERE YOU HAVE TEARS ROLLING DOWN YOUR FACE AND YOUR STOMACH HURTS.

From a philosophical point of view I think many peole fool themselves about why they are in one particular place. Its the human condition. Its why soldiers sitting in the trenches in WW1 were happy(ish) to do so for 3 years. After they the song "we're here, because we're here, because we're here" became the anthem of the British Army. Same thing in life.

I find this quite a theraputic place to come to every now and again. Its good to know (a) I'm not alone in thinking there are lots of things to change about the UK but also that (b) Australia is not perfect (and is going downhill at the same rate of knots as the UK from what I read in The Age, SMH).

Australia to me increasingly seems like a stunning place to holiday, but no better as a place to actually work and live. Cost of living may be cheaper in some areas, more expensive in others. Housing is variable too - I was looking today at a 6 bedroom house with 10 acres in Lincolnshire for £295k. Miles from anywhere etc. As many people seem to hate the intense heat as hate the intense cold - but in the Uk you can fly to Spain in 2 hours (plus 6 hours p1ssing about on the motorways because some moron has had an accident due to total inability to drive of course).

The question is ... is anywhere perfect?

To me the answer is ..... everywhere is perfect for someone. You just have to find it.

Maybe watching my dad die at the moment is good for me in a strange way. Its certainly making me question my desire to leave for Australia. I am being curiously drawn to the coast of Cornwall/Devon. The sea. Maybe thats it. Maybe the sea is the dream.

Guest LukeSkywalker

Oh one thing to add. When you do return home, remember that you are British. Vote for a party that will do something for Britain and the British. That rules out the scumbags of Labour, forget the Liberals (they want another 5 million immigrants) and it may also rule out the Tories (although I think they are hiding their immigration light under a bushel).

Come back and be positive about making a difference.

Guest pegasus 90
From a philosophical point of view I think many peole fool themselves about why they are in one particular place. Its the human condition. Its why soldiers sitting in the trenches in WW1 were happy(ish) to do so for 3 years. After they the song "we're here, because we're here, because we're here" became the anthem of the British Army. Same thing in life.

I find this quite a theraputic place to come to every now and again. Its good to know (a) I'm not alone in thinking there are lots of things to change about the UK but also that (b) Australia is not perfect (and is going downhill at the same rate of knots as the UK from what I read in The Age, SMH).

Australia to me increasingly seems like a stunning place to holiday, but no better as a place to actually work and live. Cost of living may be cheaper in some areas, more expensive in others. Housing is variable too - I was looking today at a 6 bedroom house with 10 acres in Lincolnshire for £295k. Miles from anywhere etc. As many people seem to hate the intense heat as hate the intense cold - but in the Uk you can fly to Spain in 2 hours (plus 6 hours p1ssing about on the motorways because some moron has had an accident due to total inability to drive of course).

To me the answer is ..... everywhere is perfect for someone. You just have to find it.

Maybe watching my dad die at the moment is good for me in a strange way. Its certainly making me question my desire to leave for Australia. I am being curiously drawn to the coast of Cornwall/Devon. The sea. Maybe thats it. Maybe the sea is the dream.

Know where you are coming from LS. I am coming home next years after nearly 10 yrs in Oz and am in a philosophical mood also. I'm seriously beginning to wonder if I could have had a good enough life by just moving counties etc. I know it sounds stupid, but sometimes it seems easier to move the other side of the world rather than opening our eyes to what is on our doorstep.

P90

Hi Plazze, don't know if you are still in Oz as you wrote your initial post 3 months ago. From one strapping Scot to another I can fully understand your thoughts. I have been here since july and have found myself in tears every week, I was probably 5 the last time I cried! I don't have good and bad days, just bad days and 'better' days. I do not understand this as I have been to Australia to visit my sister just about every year for the past 10 years, so it isn't like I don't know what Australia was like. I always hated leaving and have spent ages dreaming of living down here. Now I am here I just want to go back. I miss my family, I loved my job and am regretting ever resigning, I just want to go out every friday night with my mates, but havent got any here. I havent been for a night out since I have arrived.... just as well actually as a pint costs over $8 (..that's not the only thing I have noticed that's surged in price since I was last here) I am still looking for work and am living off my UK account which is painful given the dire exchange rate at present. Unfortunatelly my job in the UK has been filled and my flat is now occupied. I seriously can not see how I could go back as would not have many of the things that I am actually missing. I just feel I am in no mans land at the moment and it makes me sick every day thinking about what I have done and if it will ever work out here. Does this get better???

Housing is variable too - I was looking today at a 6 bedroom house with 10 acres in Lincolnshire for £295k.

This has definitely been a factor in our decision to move back. Looking at what we'd have to spend here in Sydney, to live in an area commutable for work/ school etc (fibro shack) compared with what we can buy in the uk for half the amount (6 bed barn conversion) makes it a 'no brainer' for us. We love Sydney, but we don't want to be mortgaged to it for the rest of our lives!!

it is very interesting readin all the replies, it has put me in a philosophical mood as well. i had lived in oz years ago but i felt that i hadnt given it my all, so i always wanted to come back here. my wife hadnt been but i persuaded her to come. we have been here 2 and a half years and if im honest my wife has given it 110% where i was probably 75% most of the time. we are staying until jan/feb to get our citizenship , but i feel the whole oz thing is not for us. we are now in the process of totally taking our lives apart , again!, we are getting our cats new homes....extremely sad, but for the best we feel.i was a member/player at my local rugby club in uk and i often thought,"look at yourself , stuck at the end of the bar again talking crap", this was one of my reasons for leaving uk. i thought there has to be something better, or at least try it. having been back for one visit this year i realised something, i am a member of a club here but not the same at all, its not rugby i need its my life long friends and family. work has been same old same old here for us, in fact my situation worse than uk. we have a small bit of family who are great, but its not home. i never had a problem with the uk weather, and i dont feel the uk is becoming a danger zone, or at least no worse than anywhere. we fully plan to go back, stop reading so many tabloid newspapers!, fully appreciate our families and definatley not take them for granted.....oh and one more thing get a new rugby blazer and stitch on my old club badge, i might be at the very,very end of my playing time,( along with a lot of injuries),but ill finally be back home , at the end of the bar talking crap, but happy!

Guest miranda baine
Hi Plazze, don't know if you are still in Oz as you wrote your initial post 3 months ago. From one strapping Scot to another I can fully understand your thoughts. I have been here since july and have found myself in tears every week, I was probably 5 the last time I cried! I don't have good and bad days, just bad days and 'better' days. I do not understand this as I have been to Australia to visit my sister just about every year for the past 10 years, so it isn't like I don't know what Australia was like. I always hated leaving and have spent ages dreaming of living down here. Now I am here I just want to go back. I miss my family, I loved my job and am regretting ever resigning, I just want to go out every friday night with my mates, but havent got any here. I havent been for a night out since I have arrived.... just as well actually as a pint costs over $8 (..that's not the only thing I have noticed that's surged in price since I was last here) I am still looking for work and am living off my UK account which is painful given the dire exchange rate at present. Unfortunatelly my job in the UK has been filled and my flat is now occupied. I seriously can not see how I could go back as would not have many of the things that I am actually missing. I just feel I am in no mans land at the moment and it makes me sick every day thinking about what I have done and if it will ever work out here. Does this get better???

Hi There, I felt quite sorry reading your post, you don't actually say how long you have been here! I am a scotswoman (not strapping) lol and we emmigrated 6 weeks ago, we flew from Glasgow on the sunniest day of the year i think, with my husband and three kids. We came to Ballarat cause we had friends here and my husband was promised work. Needless to say the job never materialised and we hate where we are. We are now packing up again for the 3rd time in 6 weeks and moving to Geelong. My husband has been offered work and so have I, I am a nurse, we are hopefull that this move will be the right one.

We all miss our family and friends back home especially my daughter who is 19, she says she is working to fund her fare home again, we are hoping the move to Geelong will change her mind. We skype our family every week and it helps us cope with missing them, as for friends we have not made any yet as we have not been working. What I am trying to say is we always want what we cant have and to try and make the best of it for the moment and i'm sure things will get better for both of us lol. If you need to chat again let me know and we could even meet up for a pint in Geelong if your up for it. Take care, Miranda and gang PS ignore me, you did say how long you have been here lol

Who knows whether it will get better or not - unfortunately crystal balls are in short supply at the moment. I can tell you that it has never been "right" for me for 30 years and I guess at the back of my mind I always thought there would be a "next step" to where I felt I belonged and things that I valued and wanted to do.

Never say never - you havent been away that you dont have a network in Scotland so why not suss out your connections - sure your old job may have gone but who knows, there may be another one almost as good if not better if you put yourself out there and check.

Sure you may be missing your flat and your neighbourhood as well but there may be plenty of other flats in that neighbourhood so you could still be with your support network.

I think that if you are still as unsettled and out of work after 3 months - even though you have your sister here, then cut your losses and see whether you have better opportunities in UK. Australia is just another place to live your life in - it isnt Utopia, it isnt perfect, there are still all the same old same old chores that need to be done, it's just the same life you left Scotland with. I am sure that if you checked with your network you would find a better opportunity than you seem to have friendless and jobless here.

:hug: (even though you are a strapping young Scot) because this is a sh*t state of mind to find yourself in!

Guest sooveroz

as chakka khan would say.......... I feel for you........its sh*t to feel like this. we've been here 3 years and go back to scotland in january. its not for us.

i really hate the phrase "give it more time" but 4 months is not very long. but i think you are homesick and maybe need to give it more time - if you go back too soon you might think when you get back "I didnt give it long enough, maybe i should try again and it will be different as i will know what to expect/try harder etc" - of course you may give it a couple of years, a year even, and still feel the same - but at least if you do go back you wont torture yourself if things dont go as expected when you get back. hope this makes sense. and good luck.

My my Luke , thats a change of opinion isnt it ? - What happened to " iam leaving the UK ,its finished , the economy is shot to pieces ?

Guest LukeSkywalker
My my Luke , thats a change of opinion isnt it ? - What happened to " iam leaving the UK ,its finished , the economy is shot to pieces ?

Well since you ask 2 things.

Firstly my father is close to death with terminal lung cancer. That is making me feel very odd.

Secondly last weekend (Sat) my wonderful wife was rushed to hospital with suspected viral meningitus and given a 50/50 of making it to Monday. Same hospital.

She is an Aussie, but much prefers the UK. I suppose in truth I could just move everyone - the job I have been offered pays double my UK salary blah blah. But to be honest it's not the UK economy that currently worries me so much - it IS shot to pieces, but so are my nerves. I'm just not sure how much mroe stress I can take. Leaving my mum 48 hours after she buries her husband of 52 years, leaving my wife and kids behind for 3 months, making them leave top quality private schools with some great friends, making my son leave the Arsenal football academy and a lot of other things.

All because I want to go back to a high powered job and live in the sun.

Perspective. Maybe I'm gaining some perspective. I haven't changed my mind about the UK. But perhaps now I will add the suffix "unless we fight back".

So if I stay I will immerse myself in far-right politics and campaign for England to go it alone and leave the Union as soon as possible. Clamp down on immigration (inc. the Scots). Create an English parliament. Fight for my race, my country.

as chakka khan would say.......... I feel for you........its sh*t to feel like this. we've been here 3 years and go back to scotland in january. its not for us.

i really hate the phrase "give it more time" but 4 months is not very long. but i think you are homesick and maybe need to give it more time - if you go back too soon you might think when you get back "I didnt give it long enough, maybe i should try again and it will be different as i will know what to expect/try harder etc" - of course you may give it a couple of years, a year even, and still feel the same - but at least if you do go back you wont torture yourself if things dont go as expected when you get back. hope this makes sense. and good luck.

Did'nt chakka khan say "Chakka khan Chakka khan"

Archived