Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter, I am so sorry for your loss, and although I only got to meet Emma once at one of our PIO meet ups, I found she was a beautiful and intelligent person which has been reflected on this forum in many posts she did.

Both me and my wife are shocked by your loss and I am sorry I didn't have time to speak to you at the Queanbeyan Rodeo earlier this year due to trying to direct traffic.

I have a friend who is in the Acute Leukemia ward at the Canberra Hospital as I type this and he is only in his 20's also. As I can't donate blood which has left me frustrated, I have decided to raise funds for the Leukemia Foundation by doing the Canberra Times 10KM Fun Run on the 9th September. These people are already assisting my friends family and no doubt they may have also assisted your family too Peter.

I too lost my mother to Cancer and took a trip back to the UK just after Christmas and managed to see her before she passed away, however it wasn't easy as these things never are.

Anyway, if you need to chat, give me a call or drop me a message.

Thoughts go out to you and the rest of the family at this very hard time

Marcus

Sent from my iPhone Living the dream

• 1 month later...

Hi All ACT POIs,

We have just moved to Canberra, me Wayne 45 and wife Claire 40, we've been here 3 weeks now, Living in Rivett and would love to get some kind of social life of some description as we only have our own company to enjoy at the moment, we are a bit of a 'billy no mates' as we don't know anybody here, but would love a change of scenery and find some other company to enjoy, pleeeeeeaaaaase contact me if you'd like to meet up Ta in advance : )

Hi Wayne,

We regularly have meet ups in the summer however I have been a bit slack arranging another one. There are normally 20-30 people there including kids.

There are loads of poms here in Canberra. I know there are a few guys who go to watch the rugby together.

I will look at sorting something out again in the future, keep your eyes peeled

Nik

Sent from my iPhone Living the dream

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

Its been 3 years and theres been no furhter updates. You all must have settled in ACT now. How did you find it initially? Was it difficult? Were you able to enrol your kids in to good schools? Please let me know as i am pretty anxious about the above questions.

My vetasses results were positive and i have now applied for ACT SS on April 26th. Any idea, how long this will take?

2ndly, my agent, lodged an EOI and has got the EOI ID. Do we need also need some positive results after logging EOI?

I hope that the ACT SS is positive, then i can atleast be 80% sure that we are going to migrate.

This is all so exciting, but i really hate the wait.

Regards,

THT

• 2 months later...

HI guys im moving to canberra in 3 weeks, coming on a holiday working visa first to see if i like it then ill go for SS i think, im a hairdresser working for regis in the uk, i cant wait to get there and see what its like. So if any ACT Poms need a good british hairdresser im here lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I Got my PR Visa Granted on 12 Aug 2013. I was thrilled and ecstatic when i saw the mail for a day. Now the apprehension is starting to set in, as all i know right now, is that its going to be a major change to me, my 3yr kid and husband and the job prospect is not good.

• 3 years later...

So it's been some time since anyone has posted here, how are people going, have you stayed in Canberra or moved on to pastures new? A number of our friends have or are about to move interstate for various reasons but we are staying put, 5 years on and we still love it here.

Glad you have settled well Peach :)

I am thinking about seeing if anyone would be interested in a get together, BBQ or Café to catch up and swap stories, and even help anyone out who might be new or struggling. These used to happen a lot when we first arrived, but life I think got in the way as it has a habit of doing.

I am thinking about seeing if anyone would be interested in a get together, BBQ or Café to catch up and swap stories, and even help anyone out who might be new or struggling. These used to happen a lot when we first arrived, but life I think got in the way as it has a habit of doing.

Glad you still like it! We might be back for a holiday, hopefully within the next few months (depends on some medical stuff) - happy to catch up with folk then. Funny to think that I've been gone as long as you have been there - I still feel like I am on holiday!!!

Hey Quoll,

Good to hear from you, we were talking about you recently as we just bought my daughter her first car and remembered your Fiesta [emoji3]

Hope all is ok with you and yes have been away from the forum for a while and thought I should stop by and see if I can help others as you did for us when we arrived.

Hope you and hubby are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBQ sounds good, we'd be in - Richard & Susan

Feel free to PM etc.

Awesome Idea.

BBQ Catch-up Sounds Like an Awesome idea ? Dave.

Down By the Lake or somewhere Central for everyone

some ideas for a date and time to suit everyone ?????

Cheers

Steve & Wendy ?

=n30nra1n;1937016959]Hey Quoll,

Good to hear from you, we were talking about you recently as we just bought my daughter her first car and remembered your Fiesta [emoji3]

Hope all is ok with you and yes have been away from the forum for a while and thought I should stop by and see if I can help others as you did for us when we arrived.

Awesome Idea.

BBQ Catch-up Sounds Like an Awesome idea  Dave.

Down By the Lake or somewhere Central for everyone

some ideas for a date and time to suit everyone 樂

Cheers

Steve & Wendy 

=n30nra1n;1937016959]Hey Quoll,

Thanks, yes DH and I are fine but my parents are a different kettle of fish. My dad is very sick at the moment (at home) with a couple of nasty infections and my mum died yesterday evening. Quick, painless, in mid conversation after drinking a cup of tea - now that's the way to go! What it means to us in the short term I don't know - it might be much more difficult to leave dad, or he may decide to pop his clogs too or ..... no idea. We had thought we might pop over in February for a month but now we don't know.

Thanks, yes DH and I are fine but my parents are a different kettle of fish. My dad is very sick at the moment (at home) with a couple of nasty infections and my mum died yesterday evening. Quick, painless, in mid conversation after drinking a cup of tea - now that's the way to go! What it means to us in the short term I don't know - it might be much more difficult to leave dad, or he may decide to pop his clogs too or ..... no idea. We had thought we might pop over in February for a month but now we don't know.

Hey,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my step father in November and went back for the funeral. Never an easy time.

I can see your dilemma in regard to visiting. Let me k ow if there is anything I can do to help out [emoji3]

Archived