SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Hi all. Is it the usual practice to have your documents returned? We haven't had any returned (and not a word since all the checks lodged)

We didn't have any returned but there weren't any originals in our application (bar the police certificate and stat decs). We photocopied everything and have kept the originals.

Visa granted today.

Fly to Adelaide a week tomorrow. Can't wait :biggrin:

Congratulations! After such a long wait (and I think you've been away from your partner all this time too) you deserve to be so happy and excited right now. I think it the difference between our weather and Adelaide's might take some adjusting to though, they've been in the 30s this past week (and huntsmans out in force my fiance reports!)

On my front, it's 5 months since I sent my visa off on 13th June, so hopefully I'll have a date in enough time to get over there by Christmas. It will be interesting to know if there will be any difference between the May and June processing times since I applied only 2 weeks before the extended processing time came into effect so things might slow down a little bit for us June people. Hopefully not too much though! I'm keeping an eager eye out for the first June person to get granted now. SusieB were you told in advance when your visa would be approved? Definitely need to escape for Christmas with my Mr!

Guest Frutsel
Oooh a big envelope arrived today from Aus House in London..Im guessing it is just docs being returned, did anyone else get a big envelope with docs returned just before their visa being granted. We applied back in May so should be granted any day now...Hubby is being a meanie and won't let me open the envelope until he gets home tonight :(

Haha...got the same thing now. Just got a big brown envelop from embassy in Berlin. Hubby says the same...wait till I get home, but.....I couldn't wait.

They send some of my certified copies etc back.

Will it be a good sign??? Good luck !

It is five months now I would like my visa now please...

Snap, we sent ours off on the same date. They don't seem to have started on June applications yet, I'll be keeping a hawk eye on this thread and that spreadsheet to see when our month gets moving. Good luck :)

Completed spouse visa application 28th August. I was under the impression that it would take 5 months to process and then was told 8-9 months which means May or June 2013! We had planned to move at Christmas however have now booked flights for the start of Feb 2013. My husband will enter on a tourist visa. Due to the time lag his prospective employer is going to push through a 457 visa sponsorship so he can start working straight away. Can anyone tell me why there needs to be an 8-9 month wait? The 457 visas are processed in 1-3 months. The CO has already told us everything required has been submitted. Paid a hefty fee...why the delay? Surely €1500 covers and administrators time? I note they intend to significantly increase the visa processing fees for 2013.

Completed spouse visa application 28th August. I was under the impression that it would take 5 months to process and then was told 8-9 months which means May or June 2013! We had planned to move at Christmas however have now booked flights for the start of Feb 2013. My husband will enter on a tourist visa. Due to the time lag his prospective employer is going to push through a 457 visa sponsorship so he can start working straight away. Can anyone tell me why there needs to be an 8-9 month wait? The 457 visas are processed in 1-3 months. The CO has already told us everything required has been submitted. Paid a hefty fee...why the delay? Surely €1500 covers and administrators time? I note they intend to significantly increase the visa processing fees for 2013.

Apparently they have a quota they can grant, and due to the high levels of applications the granting time was extended on july 1st. We are still better off than the bangkok applicants who have a 12 month waiting time.

Good to hear I'm not the only one finding the processing times crazy.

My husband is an Australian and we have applied for a spouse visa for me and been quoted the 8-9 month wait time for the application lodged in London. I have a professional job but it is very niche so not on the skilled occupation list but I have found a job to go to.

What is frustrating is that his occupation is on the skills list so we could probably get a visa for me on the back of his skilled occupation faster if he wasn't an Australian citizen. just doesn't seem right does it.

Im still hoping for a miracle that my visa will come through but if not looks like I can go for a WHV to enter the country in January and then hope the spouse visa comes through before the 6 month restriction on the WHV kicks in.

My case officer has indicated that I am being considered for the 100 permanent visa which is some good news at least - I know if I was being considered for a 309 I would have to be offshore when that was granted but does anyone know what the position is if I go straight to the 100?

E

Guest MrsWooky
Good to hear I'm not the only one finding the processing times crazy.

My husband is an Australian and we have applied for a spouse visa for me and been quoted the 8-9 month wait time for the application lodged in London. I have a professional job but it is very niche so not on the skilled occupation list but I have found a job to go to.

What is frustrating is that his occupation is on the skills list so we could probably get a visa for me on the back of his skilled occupation faster if he wasn't an Australian citizen. just doesn't seem right does it.

Im still hoping for a miracle that my visa will come through but if not looks like I can go for a WHV to enter the country in January and then hope the spouse visa comes through before the 6 month restriction on the WHV kicks in.

My case officer has indicated that I am being considered for the 100 permanent visa which is some good news at least - I know if I was being considered for a 309 I would have to be offshore when that was granted but does anyone know what the position is if I go straight to the 100?

E

The visa rules do seem crazy and it's really annoying that they keep saying they can only grant a quota of spouse visas when it clearly says on the website that spouse visas can't be capped or queued!

Re being offshore - if you apply offshore you have be offshore when it's granted - same applies to the 309 and the 100. You can be anywhere in the world apart from Australia! Most people who move over on a tourist visa, use it as an excuse to have a little holiday :-). Fine if you can afford it I suppose.

Good luck!

Guest GeorgeD

The big mistake people make (me included) is trying to understand the link between the amount of work required to process a visa approval and the length of time betweeen application and grant. There is no direct relationship, the two timescales are completely unrelated! It will probably take a good few hours for a CO to review an application and carry out any further checks. If everything is good then your application probably very quickly goes into a pile to be approved at a later date. The length of time it sits in that pile has nothing to do with your application or your situation. It is decided by visa quotas, legislation and working directives. Your only input is when you actually sent it in and where it placed you in the queue.

It used to be that you would have a speedy process if you gave them all the info up front and did your medicals and PCC prior to application, but pretty much everyone does that now and the processing time already takes that into account. If you didn't provide enough info or the meds, etc then there is every chance your application could take longer than the published time. There really isn't any way to speed up a Spouse Visa application other than apply for a diffferent visa in the meantime! Counting on getting lucky with an early grant is not a wise thing to do...it will most likely end in tears. You will find that most COs will tell you quite early on that you have given them all you need and you will be fine to get your visa...in x number of months from now.

The big mistake people make (me included) is trying to understand the link between the amount of work required to process a visa approval and the length of time betweeen application and grant. There is no direct relationship, the two timescales are completely unrelated! It will probably take a good few hours for a CO to review an application and carry out any further checks. If everything is good then your application probably very quickly goes into a pile to be approved at a later date. The length of time it sits in that pile has nothing to do with your application or your situation. It is decided by visa quotas, legislation and working directives. Your only input is when you actually sent it in and where it placed you in the queue.

It used to be that you would have a speedy process if you gave them all the info up front and did your medicals and PCC prior to application, but pretty much everyone does that now and the processing time already takes that into account. If you didn't provide enough info or the meds, etc then there is every chance your application could take longer than the published time. There really isn't any way to speed up a Spouse Visa application other than apply for a diffferent visa in the meantime! Counting on getting lucky with an early grant is not a wise thing to do...it will most likely end in tears. You will find that most COs will tell you quite early on that you have given them all you need and you will be fine to get your visa...in x number of months from now.

Helpful advice, thank you. I will proceed with getting my husband an alternate visa (457) in the meantime. The other posts were useful, glad to know others are faced with the same situation.

Approaching 5 months since application date (26/06), and CO (AB) had advised 5-6 months wait at the time and during one subsequent contact.

Thought I would give him a nudge today.

He has responded today saying that June apps are now more likely to be nearer 6 months, and that he will be on holiday at that point and one of his colleagues 'should' be able to help.

Was kinda hoping for a 5 month turnaround, but hopefully on track for 6. Wondering if its worth pestering thru December, and hoping it's on a pre Xmas to do list for someone.

Guest GeorgeD

I think reminding your CO you are almost at your expected processing time does no harm. It might save a few days or even weeks...or at worst they may give you an exact idea of when it will be granted so you can at least make more concrete plans. Many people have contacted their CO around the proposed time to be told it will be granted there and then, or I'll do it on Tuesday, or similar. Try not to become a pest...if your CO gives you a firm timescale and says for example that they will grant it the first week in December, you probably won't do yourself any favours phoning every other day between now and then to see if they can hurry it up!

On the topic of giving your CO a 'nudge', do most people only have contact at the start of the process, then towards the grant date?

I almost feel like we need to remind our CO that we're still alive... But we definitely dont want to be a pain.. I just wanted to know if anyone had just not contacted their CO and just sat back quietly? The only contact we have had was to confirm some medical/police clearance questions etc and now we have our evidence back and are about 3 months into the wait.

8-9 months is so long, its been quite hard. Just got back from visiting my fiance and I doubted so much about the decision to stay in my job and just wait it out seperated... I was questioning myself, like should I just stay in England etc, am I silly to not be thinking with my heart and not my head and just going to stay with him until the grant? It can get quite lonely knowing how far away he is. And it's hard because most of my family and friends live interstate. I have no 'ties' here in Perth except my job and I came back miserable.

I'm OK now, knowing that I am lucky enough to have a well-paid job that can fund my trips to England.

Guest GeorgeD
On the topic of giving your CO a 'nudge', do most people only have contact at the start of the process, then towards the grant date?

I almost feel like we need to remind our CO that we're still alive... But we definitely dont want to be a pain.. I just wanted to know if anyone had just not contacted their CO and just sat back quietly? The only contact we have had was to confirm some medical/police clearance questions etc and now we have our evidence back and are about 3 months into the wait.

8-9 months is so long, its been quite hard. Just got back from visiting my fiance and I doubted so much about the decision to stay in my job and just wait it out seperated... I was questioning myself, like should I just stay in England etc, am I silly to not be thinking with my heart and not my head and just going to stay with him until the grant? It can get quite lonely knowing how far away he is. And it's hard because most of my family and friends live interstate. I have no 'ties' here in Perth except my job and I came back miserable.

I'm OK now, knowing that I am lucky enough to have a well-paid job that can fund my trips to England.

For me it was a request for more info about a week after I submitted...so I sent more info and had to kick, scream, throw toys out, etc, to get an acknowledgement that it had been received...Later I I told her I was going to Oz, she said, OK, then I told here I had left Oz when I came back to the UK, she didn't reply. A week before my projected timescale I called, gave her a nudge and had my visa a week later. I think I had 2 phone calls with her lasting about three minutes in total, and prossibly 4 emails in the space of 5 months.

There won't be a stream of communication. Pretty quickly they will make sure they have all the info/evidence they need. If you give it all up front, they have no need to speak to you until it has sat in the statutory waiting period pile for long enough and they can take it out and approve your visa.

Just giving a vigorous nod to all comments above re the dreadful wait and "long time no hear".

We have served nearly 3 months or our 9 month sentence. No contact at all after the CO requested medicals and police checks when we first sent the application. No indication at all of which month. I imagine we wont hear anything until mid next year. I hope to god we dont lose our school place.

Guest lemongirl

WOOHOO!!! Got the email yesterday saying he was "in a position to grant my visa now." But because we are in Aus at the moment, it can't actually be granted until I get offshore again. Applied mid May :)

Hey Sticks, my fiancé is considering come back on a tourist visa but he's had multiple tourist visas in the past. Does much work go into a 12 month tourist visa application? Can he get a 6 month one cos that would be perfect? I want him to have Christmas with my family this year.... Wish I could go back for Xmas but I'm having minor surgery and can't afford to do both!

309 spouse visa lodged 29th june 2012

police check received 20th july

medicals done on the 23rd july

now just waiting. shouldnt be too long now. would be an awesome christmas present.

We lodged the same day. Who is your CO? Hopefully not much longer to wait!