SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Hahaha, you just gave me a good laugh with that! I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, but hey, until that visa is in my inbox, I'm not counting my chickens...although I may fold and book our flights soon!

Hiya! We too have been told visa will be granted- which doesnt appear to have been the norm but its probably a change of policy that oncr meds / police clearance and all other checks are ok then CO can tell people visa will be granted. Up until recently ive not seen that before. We are counting on it too and have sold up and planning to leave before end of year too. So we r stuffed too if we dont get visa!

Just a quick question - does anyone know the average / approx amount of time given to be in Australia after visa granted? I know it's a year from when medical/ police clearance what I mean how long does diac like to give people to finalise affairs from when visa granted to time to need to be in oz? So if applied say 5/2/2014 medical/police check done 5/5/2014 visa granted 5/11/2014 that would give me 6 months - 5/5/2015 to be out of the country by. Is that the approx time given to finalise affairs?

hope this isn't too confusing!!

Just a quick question - does anyone know the average / approx amount of time given to be in Australia after visa granted? I know it's a year from when medical/ police clearance what I mean how long does diac like to give people to finalise affairs from when visa granted to time to need to be in oz? So if applied say 5/2/2014 medical/police check done 5/5/2014 visa granted 5/11/2014 that would give me 6 months - 5/5/2015 to be out of the country by. Is that the approx time given to finalise affairs?

hope this isn't too confusing!!

If the Police/medical check both happen to be on the same day 5/5/14 then you have until 5/5/15 to VALIDATE the visa. You have until 5/5/19 to make the move permanently as after that date the travel rights on the VISA will expire, you won't be able to enter Australia and you won't meet the requirements for an RRV so will have to go through this whole process again, and by then, the waiting times will probably be something like 23 years, 5 months and 13 days!!!!

PS Validating the VISA means that is "good" for five years.

If the Police/medical check both happen to be on the same day 5/5/14 then you have until 5/5/15 to VALIDATE the visa. You have until 5/5/19 to make the move permanently as after that date the travel rights on the VISA will expire, you won't be able to enter Australia and you won't meet the requirements for an RRV so will have to go through this whole process again, and by then, the waiting times will probably be something like 23 years, 5 months and 13 days!!!!

PS Validating the VISA means that is "good" for five years.

thanks for that!! Ok and how long is usually given after grant of visa to when i need to b in oz to validate visa? Is it usually about 6 months to finalise affairs?

There doesn't seem to be much transparency. If COs can only sign off a quota each month, why can't they just tell us that? Then we know that we are just in a queue

People are in a queue from when they lodge. So there really is nothing to tell.

thanks for that!! Ok and how long is usually given after grant of visa to when i need to b in oz to validate visa? Is it usually about 6 months to finalise affairs?

It is for applications with a processing of 8-9 months. Medicals/police check are asked for around the 3 month mark.

New applications with the longer wait time will have a much longer wait before they are asked to undergo a medical and police check. I would imagine it will still be done to allow six months or so to validate.

Just reading through the previous posts from the past 24-48 hours has me a bit worried as we need to email our CO about an update (my partner had a potential job offer when we hit the 7 month mark and there is now the possibility of him losing that job offer if we dont get the visa through asap - we are at 8 month 2 weeks) and I am not sure if i should or not.

We REALLY dont want him to lose the job as it is perfect - his industry, in our home town where we want to settle etc (and if he loses it then we wont move for a while or he takes a job interstate or in NZ and the kids and I stay in Adelaide - not ideal).

I have my CO's email address from previous communication but should I email her direct or use the general one they send out now? Or should I not email her at all? We emailed at 7 months to advise of the job offer and was advised to wait for the 8 month mark as the approval should come through soon after that (that email came from "on behalf" of our CO and with her email address deleted and the generic one inserted).

My partner is quite distressed that he could possibly lose the job offer because of the delay and I keep trying to reassure him but its hard when the perfect opportunity is slowly slipping out of his/our grasp (especially as the industry he is in doesnt have that many jobs in Adelaide and the company were really keen to hire him).

You can try emailing your CO if you have an addy for them (keep it short and sweet would be my approach). I am not sure what sort of response you will get. Hopefully positive :) Bear in mind they are very specific about not quitting your job/selling house or any other life changing event till visa grant. They advise against doing anything much before grant is made. I think this is more as they cannot specify an exact date to grant and so are trying to ensure people don't make plans they might not be able to follow through on. This sort of thing like missing out on a job would be that sort of event.

I realise plenty of people (myself included) do make plans however. In my case though it was nothing so important as a job offer and nothing hinged on it so to speak. We just decided to head to Aus on a set date at what would have been the 8.5 month mark regardless of if the grant had come through. As it was it was granted before I departed.

The current wait time is 8-9 months for visa applications already in. If your application was in order then hopefully it will be granted within the 9 month timeframe for you. Good luck.

It's unbelievable that the processing times have been increased to the current times. I really fill for the people who are going through the process of lodging their application now. I've only been waiting 2 months and if feels like a decade.

Am I right to assume that the processing times quoted to us in the letter from the CO acknowledging our application is the timeline that they will be working to?

anyone had their visa granted recently. I don't see many joys of happiness on here.

If your timeframe given was 8-9 months then that is what it will be. The new wait times are for new applications and people lodging will no doubt be given the timeframe their CO is working to and should themselves work to that also.

Hi MtT - I've been wondering about the same thing regarding the timescale for not getting granted - what have you found out? All correspondence with DIAC suggests that the visa will be granted (that term was used) but now I'm starting to panic that I'm going to get to the 9 month mark in Oct and get refused! I've got to hand in my notice by the end of October if we want to stick to our move date at the start of Dec, so it'll really screw up plans to not be granted! Don't know what to do about booking flights now...

If you are booking flights for Dec you should be fine. Go ahead and book I reckon. If you are worried pay the surcharge to be able to change them (iirc Singapore airlines allow one flight change free but double check that).

As far as giving notice, hopefully your visa will be through by the end of Oct. If you are worried perhaps don't use up any holiday you have left to ensure you can use it at the end to enable you to depart as planned but still be on the payroll till holiday days are used up? Might give you an extra week or two to work with then.

If your application was all in order (ie medical passed, police check clear) and you supplied all the evidence they required and no further info was requested, and if it was you supplied that within the timeframe you should be fine for your visa being granted. I think its natural to worry but honestly, if your application was good and you are genuine, it should be fine. As MtT has said, it does happen a partner visa is refused on occasion but those applications are far from the norm (at least reading on here and elsewhere and usually they fail in pretty clear ways to meet requirements).

Just had a very quick reply email from my c/o

Thanks for your email. The new processing times only apply to new applications and your application is not affected thus 8-9 months would still apply in your case. You can still travel on a tourist visa if we are unable to finalise the application by December.

Hope this puts people's minds at rest

Thanks for your email. The new processing times only apply to new applications and your application is not affected thus 8-9 months would still apply in your case. You can still travel on a tourist visa if we are unable to finalise the application by December.

Really, really happy to hear this! That's great. :)

Thank you!!!! :D

hi,

Could someone advise how you validate the visa? Do you just go to australia for say a holiday within 12months after the medicals are done. As we probly wont move straight away.

Also for new applicants not yet applied, is the wait longer then 8-9months? from what im reading

thanks in advance for help

hi,

Could someone advise how you validate the visa? Do you just go to australia for say a holiday within 12months after the medicals are done. As we probly wont move straight away.

Also for new applicants not yet applied, is the wait longer then 8-9months? from what im reading

thanks in advance for help

When your visa is granted you'll have a date by which to make first entry to Aus. This should tie in with the date of your medical or police check, whichever was done first. You simply go to Aus, clear immigration and visa is validated. You then have the extended timeframe within which to migrate permanently.

And yes, wait time has increased (as had the fee it seems).

If you are booking flights for Dec you should be fine. Go ahead and book I reckon. If you are worried pay the surcharge to be able to change them (iirc Singapore airlines allow one flight change free but double check that).

As far as giving notice, hopefully your visa will be through by the end of Oct. If you are worried perhaps don't use up any holiday you have left to ensure you can use it at the end to enable you to depart as planned but still be on the payroll till holiday days are used up? Might give you an extra week or two to work with then.

If your application was all in order (ie medical passed, police check clear) and you supplied all the evidence they required and no further info was requested, and if it was you supplied that within the timeframe you should be fine for your visa being granted. I think its natural to worry but honestly, if your application was good and you are genuine, it should be fine. As MtT has said, it does happen a partner visa is refused on occasion but those applications are far from the norm (at least reading on here and elsewhere and usually they fail in pretty clear ways to meet requirements).

Hey Snifter and MtT thanks for the reassurance - just gone and booked the flights! Leaving the UK on 4th Dec and arriving in Cairns on 22nd Jan (having a nice journey though India and Asia). All of a sudden this seems even more real!!

Hi all,

I am now at the 8 months and 3 weeks mark. I was considering flying over now and getting married straight away. We have spoke about it together and it is just an idea. This will then turn the Perspective Marriage Visa into a temporary partner visa I believe. I just wondered if anyone knows how long it would be before I can work after we are married and the Marriage certificate has been sent. Has anyone been in this situation or considered this as a possibility? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and good luck!!!!!!

Perspective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300) Lodged by Australia house 11/11/2013. Case Officer assigned 12/12/2013. Health check completed 14/03/2014. Police Check sent 15/03/2014. Waiting................

Edited by Jamie King

Just a thought but if you do decide to fly out, you had better inform your CO before you apply for the Tourist Visa as looking at your timeline, your PMV is about to be granted at any time and if it's granted whilst they are processing your application for the TV, then the TV will cancel the PMV and all that money is down the drain.

Also, think about things like the cost involved of applying for the Temp Spouse Visa.

Could you really not wait the couple of weeks left for grant? Or have I misread your whole post?

ETA: I am presuming you mean to fly out and marry before the grant, in which case I don't think it will turn the PMV in to a Temp Spouse Visa, but you need to find out for sure.

Edited by MovingtoTasmania

If you marry before the grant of your PMV, you have to notify your CO, and they will change the PMV application to the 309. BUT you may also be required to provide additional evidence since the 309 requires MORE evidence than the PMV. If you're planning on doing this, you'll need financial evidence as well as evidence of shared household. I wouldn't recommend it since you're so close. Just my two cents.

Thank you MovingtoTasmania and CollegeGirl, that is really good advise. You are right I should just wait. Anyway, it will now be 9 weeks next Monday but I should really stop counting the days. It is going so slow!!!!

Perspective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300) Lodged by Australia house 11/11/2013. Case Officer assigned 12/12/2013. Health check completed 14/03/2014. Police Check sent 15/03/2014. Waiting................

Police checks done and submitted final piece (hopefully) next week with the medical. Can anyone tell me how long usually takes after the medical for the documentation from the doctors to be submitted to the Immi account? Also how do you find out if your medical was fine or if has been referred for any reason?

Police checks done and submitted final piece (hopefully) next week with the medical. Can anyone tell me how long usually takes after the medical for the documentation from the doctors to be submitted to the Immi account? Also how do you find out if your medical was fine or if has been referred for any reason?

You can ask the Doc then and there and he will tell you. It's all sent electronically as soon as the blood results are through.