General Skilled Migration Program - capping and amendment of CSL

George Lombard

My understanding is that the new CSL has immediate effect.

This is from an email to registered migration agents from their professional body last night:

"As of now, only General Skilled Migration applications which are State/Territory sponsored, or which have nominated occupations on the new Critical Skills List will be processed. There will be no visa grants to other applicants until further notice, which is not likely to be before 1 July 2009, and may be much longer."

As I have said a few times now, if you have an occupation that is being State or Territory Sponsored for a subclass 176 visa you should be looking at such sponsorship as a visa strategy.

Best regards.

And make sure you do your homework on the state you are going to as you will be asked why you want to live in that state. Saying it is the place my skill is wanted is not enough.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are your obligations to the state who sponsors you?

Legally there are no obligations which a state can enforce against you if sponsored, provided you haven't actually lied to them in order to get your sponsorship. This is why state sponsorship is sometimes seen as involving a "moral" obligation only.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest James.S

Hi,

Can someone just confirm what the requirements are for a 176, do you have to be either state sponsored or relative sponsored..? what if you have a job offer..?

What is the difference between tht and a 475..?

Sorry, basic questions i guess.... but needing a bit of clarity in a murky world...!

James...

Guest jenny79
Dear YC,

No point worrying about things which aren't being announced.

At the moment those with a legitimate grievance are those with the 5 trades being taken off the CSL, and personally I would spare a moment for those who aren't on either the MODL or CSL and might be waiting considerably longer for their visas. Anyone now on the CSL should have a case officer by the end of May.

And FWIW I'm not even convinced that the amendment to the CSL is going to take place immediately, since we were told at the beginning of the CSL being introduced that the Department would not de-prioritise applications once their CSL status had been identified, which was a concern for IT people in the CSL which depended on their MODL status. So basically best to wait to hear what the Minister has to say.

Cheers,

George Lombard

george, can i ask a question on behalf of my friend?

her husband is a motor mechanic (now removed from csl)... however they had been allocated a CO in feb who asked for further evidence and meds and PCC. they submitted everything. recently she sent a PLE the reply to which was that they were waiting for meds to be cleared.

in the meantime the new csl was published. in your opinion would they be affected?

Hi Jenny,

No idea. When I spoke to the ASPC on Monday it was clear that they had all heard about this over their breakfast cereal. The Minister's language was quite emphatic about stopping grants for these tradesmen so I guess the first anyone will know is when an ex-CSL tradie gets a visa. Haven't heard of or seen any today. I assume that the enormous collective power of PiO can answer that for you, although my guess is that the ASPC has lost a couple of days of processing figuring out what to do next.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George,

Would you be able to give us a bit of advice please.

We applied for 175 in November and have had meds and police checks. We appreciate was probably a bit silly now. My husband is a plasterer so has now been taken off the csl.

In your proffessional opinon what would you advise are next move be?

I am 3 months pregnant and the latest i can fly is middle of august. Otherwise the earliest i can fly is 7 weeks after ive had the baby. Which my edd is 1st October so im looking at middle of November.

We are planning to go to perth as this is where are family and friends are.

Is it worth sticking it out and hoping we get visa so can fly in August or go for state sponsorship?

If we go for state sponsorship would we get visa in time for me to be able to fly?

Also whv im 30 so reading i could still be intitled to one. Could i apply for one and my husband and 2 children come over on it till 175 is granted?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rachael

Hi George,

Would you be able to give us a bit of advice please.

We applied for 175 in November and have had meds and police checks. We appreciate was probably a bit silly now. My husband is a plasterer so has now been taken off the csl.

In your proffessional opinon what would you advise are next move be?

I am 3 months pregnant and the latest i can fly is middle of august. Otherwise the earliest i can fly is 7 weeks after ive had the baby. Which my edd is 1st October so im looking at middle of November.

We are planning to go to perth as this is where are family and friends are.

Is it worth sticking it out and hoping we get visa so can fly in August or go for state sponsorship?

If we go for state sponsorship would we get visa in time for me to be able to fly?

Also whv im 30 so reading i could still be intitled to one. Could i apply for one and my husband and 2 children come over on it till 175 is granted?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rachael

I would be interested in the answer as well as I really need to know how long state sponsored 176's are going to take to be approved now?

JOHN

The short answer is that obtaining State or Territory Sponsorship pushes you towards the top of the priority processing pecking order, and gives you a good chance of being granted a visa in the next few months.

Not having Sponsorship and not being on the CSL means you can expect to be waiting quite a few months, maybe closer to a year - and maybe longer than that. I stress the word "maybe" as no-one can say with certainty what will happen to skilled visa processing times. We haven't seen the number of available visas for 2009/10 yet, for one thing.

My recommendation (as I have said many times now): get yourselves State or Territory Sponsorship if you are serious about moving to Australia in the near future.

Best regards.

Guest jak2503
The short answer is that obtaining State or Territory Sponsorship pushes you towards the top of the priority processing pecking order, and gives you a good chance of being granted a visa in the next few months.

Not having Sponsorship and not being on the CSL means you can expect to be waiting quite a few months, maybe closer to a year - and maybe longer than that. I stress the word "maybe" as no-one can say with certainty what will happen to skilled visa processing times. We haven't seen the number of available visas for 2009/10 yet, for one thing.

My recommendation (as I have said many times now): get yourselves State or Territory Sponsorship if you are serious about moving to Australia in the near future.

Best regards.

Hi all

im a plumber who applied on a 175 last sept, i switched to a 176 in feb this year with victoria, im glad i did now, i think alan is right about swapping if you want to go this year,

jak2503

Best regards.

come on you lot how many times can allen say it. Change now as there has to be a long chain of people soon all going for a 176.

Guest Mike&lou

Hi allen was hoping if you could possilby help here.

Im an electrician and am thinking about changing from 175 to 176 just want to know where can i get state sponsorship? was looking at qeeunsland, nsw or peth. What is the processing times for these type of visas?

Thanks for any advise you can give!

Im an electrician and am thinking about changing from 175 to 176 just want to know where can i get state sponsorship? was looking at qeeunsland, nsw or peth. What is the processing times for these type of visas?

Hello Mike&lou.

Forgive me being relatively abrupt, but I have given a lot of advice on this subject in the last few days.

You can search the State Government lists by doing google searches.

Or you can engage an agent to help steer you towards your intended destination and reduce the time and effort required on your part. We will be delighted to assist.

Best regards.

Try sending "chris mac" a PM mate,he seems pretty well up on anything sparks related,he might know

Guest Mike&lou

Although to be honest im only really interested in Qeeunsland, I have a friend( fellow )sparks in WA hes been there since jan and has told me that for a sparks it is very cutthroat out there at the moment,and i have a cousin in NSW and he says it is very difficult there also.

Also I am from South Africa, already got police checks for there, so time is an issue. booking meds and pc for uk today.

What has been the waiting time for 176 visas up to date

Thanks

Guest sair999

Can anyone tell me, do you have to work as your trade under the 176 or can you do any job? Just thinking although the state may want your trade, it may be a different matter getting a job under that trade!!!

Hello Mike&lou.

Forgive me being relatively abrupt, but I have given a lot of advice on this subject in the last few days.

You can search the State Government lists by doing google searches.

Or you can engage an agent to help steer you towards your intended destination and reduce the time and effort required on your part. We will be delighted to assist.

Best regards.

Allen is right & now for some an agent is needed going it alone may save you money & I do understand if you are on a tight budget it may not be possible so no answers to that one but if you can afford it do so or it may be tolate.

Hmmm...Just a thought, but if you read this on latest update, its possible that all CSL applications on the old list upto yesterdays announcement could already have been allocated to a CO...

"Applications are being processed in date of lodgement order. The ASPC expects to have commenced processing of all CSL applications held by this office by the end of May 2009."

It now doesn't say anything about allocating...

What do you think??? Or am i clutching at straws here???:skeptical:

After all didn't they say appliactions currently allocated would not be affected??

Yes bit strange wording that, I checked mine on line but still says processing commenced. Was gutted yesterday but silly really as we cant afford to go till next March anyway so hopefully will be processed by then !

I dont think anyone knows whats happening to those applicants already in the system. I guess we will just wait and see what is said over the next few days from DIAC. Possibly they dont even know themselves :confused:

Hi,

West Australia and Tasmania closed their state sponsors,What about the Victoria and other states

Ritu

Please dont post random statements please give evidence to back it up as this is a worrying time for all. People need factual posts to give reasurance so please post back with how you came accross this news.

Guest sair999

I didn't realise HOW much I really wanted to get to Aus before all these changes were announced. We are lucky as OH trade is still on the CSL (gas fitter), beu we wonder for how much longer. Applied for 175 in December and now thinking whats best to do, stay with 175 or go 176?????

Archived