General Skilled Migration Program - capping and amendment of CSL

George Lombard

hi george, could you tell me if this will affect me, i am an electrician and have had my application in since aug 08. all medicals and police checks have been completed. will i now be removed from the csl or will i remain in the position i was before as i am so far down the track?

Hello mate..

Im afraid your in the same boat as me...

Have a wee luck at my signature..

Am afraid its a little longer wait for us than expected...:SLEEP:

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
hi george, could you tell me if this will affect me, i am an electrician and have had my application in since aug 08. all medicals and police checks have been completed. will i now be removed from the csl or will i remain in the position i was before as i am so far down the track?

Hello Alan

Welcome to Poms in Oz. Have you applied for a subclass 175 visa?

The Minister appears to have made the changes effective from the time of his announcement. Detailed information might emerge from DIAC over the next few days.

Until more details are available, I would suggest that you consider the possibility of State Sponsorship and a switch to the sc 176 visa instead. You can make the switch without incurring any extra DIAC fees and without needing to make a new visa application.

The ACT is the only State/Territory which charges an application fee for State Sponsorship. All the other States provide it as a free service.

The link to all of the State/Territory websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Best wishes

Gill

Guest alanmcguire

can someone out there please help me, i only found this news out at 5pm today.does this affect me?i am an electrician and have had my application lodged since aug 08, medicals and police checks have also been sent off to hopefully speed the process up. is my application now on the back burner? or does this only apply to new applicants? no one seems to know:arghh:

Guest alanmcguire

thanks for such a quick reply gill. yes i have applied for a subclass 175 visa. do you think it would be a good idea to apply for a 176? whats to stop everyone that is removed from the csl doing the same, does this not defeat the purpose of what the polititian is trying to implement? if i do change visas will this then put me on the bottom rung of the ladder, i have a wife and three children depending on me and its all very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest lorenza

Hi, Am absoloutely gutted about these announcements - had just started to get my hopes up about the CO allocations for May. My OH is a carpenter so has been taken off the CSL - does this mean it has gone onto the MODL list (can't seem to find an updated one!) or has been taken off completely?

Also, looking at state sponsership we are thinking WA but is there an updated skills list for each state- i know that someone has posted a link for the state migration websites but their lists are dated January 2009- will these change in line with the CSL list.

Its so confusing - sorry if these have been answered already- i have read through the whole link but my brain is on the verge of blowing up! Still need to break the news to my OH :(

Guest chris_mac
I know will be there eventually, but desp for a baby, hubby wants us to wait till were there. Now even more waiting, not getting any younger. I know you have to wait a long time, but will be three years in the process in oct. prob wont even have case officer by then.

Whilst everyone is waiting were not really living, just chasing this dream.

I wish never started this now and took my life for what it is. Just got on with it and enjoy the present.

I now have to have the discussion again about when to start having more babies, (will lead to argument lol)

Awww so fed up

Hi Shazney

You should consider changing your 175 to sc176 state sponsor to keep you ahead of most other visa's at least..

Please see all States and Territory sites:

And the sc 176 Skilled migration visa.

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

Switching visa's from 175 to 176 is free and pretty simple..

Best wishes

Chris

Guest chris_mac
whats to stop everyone that is removed from the csl doing the same, does this not defeat the purpose of what the polititian is trying to implement?

Everyone will be doing the same so first in first served Alan.... Limited time and spaces only! Sale ends end of July!

:biggrin:

Best wishes

Chris

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

Apply for State Sponsorship. If you get that then your existing sc 175 application can be converted into an application for a State Sponsored 176 visa instead. There is no need for a new visa application, no additional DIAC fee either and the ACT is the only State/Territory which charges ($275) for considering an application for State Sponsorship. None of the others charge for this service.

whats to stop everyone that is removed from the csl doing the same,

Anyone who is aware of the latest changes will undoubtedly do so.

does this not defeat the purpose of what the polititian is trying to implement?

Part of the Minister's strategy is to slow the General Skilled Migration program down. The backlogs at all the State Sponsorship processing centres is having this effect. It is an exercise in robbing Peter to pay Paul in one sense but presumably the Minister understands his own logic even though no-one else does, I daresay!

i do change visas will this then put me on the bottom rung of the ladder,

Nope, it will catapult you back up to the top of the ladder you are currently on instead of relegating you down by a couple of rungs.

its all very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi, Am absoloutely gutted about these announcements - had just started to get my hopes up about the CO allocations for May. My OH is a carpenter so has been taken off the CSL - does this mean it has gone onto the MODL list (can't seem to find an updated one!) or has been taken off completely?

Also, looking at state sponsership we are thinking WA but is there an updated skills list for each state- i know that someone has posted a link for the state migration websites but their lists are dated January 2009- will these change in line with the CSL list.

Its so confusing - sorry if these have been answered already- i have read through the whole link but my brain is on the verge of blowing up! Still need to break the news to my OH :(

Hi Lorenza

Carpenter was on the MODL before the CSL was even a gleam in the Minister's eye. The MODL was last revised in May 2008. The May 2008 version remains in force.

States & Territories each decide what they need, independently of anything the Minister does in Canberra. He "owns" the CSL but the States & Territories are the sole proprietors of their own Lists. They may (and probably will) review their own Lists but they are doing this on a weekly or fortnightly basis at the moment anyway. They will not alter their own Lists unless the State Govts perceive a shift in local need.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest lorenza

Right ok thanks for your reply!, I think I understand! So the MODL applications that are due to be processed after the CSL will include carpenters. Although I guess with the backlog plus all the trades that have recently been taken off its going to be a very long wait.

Also, if you say that the state csl lists are revised constantly do you think it is worth even trying for state sponsorship at the moment particularly as everyone will be doing this- esp trades people? If they could change their minds at any minute. If you apply to WA for example could they dictate the area that you go to or you could go to anywhere in WA.

Sorry for all the questions!

Guest alanmcguire

thanks again gill, the only problem i have is that we have to go to WA as that is where all our family and friends are,are WA still sponsoring electricians?

Guest chris_mac
Right ok thanks for your reply!, I think I understand! So the MODL applications that are due to be processed after the CSL will include carpenters. Although I guess with the backlog plus all the trades that have recently been taken off its going to be a very long wait.

Also, if you say that the state csl lists are revised constantly do you think it is worth even trying for state sponsorship at the moment particularly as everyone will be doing this- esp trades people? If they could change their minds at any minute. If you apply to WA for example could they dictate the area that you go to or you could go to anywhere in WA.

Hi Lorenza

Each state/territory releases post codes / Area codes within that state where you can live as a State Sponsored migrant.

Chris

Guest lorenza

Ok Thanks Chris, so it will be a specific area. I know this sounds really picky but do you get a choice in the area that you live in- say if they give you a list of area's. Or you just get told which one to go to.

I'm just thinking you could do a bit of research before upping sticks!

Guest chris_mac
Ok Thanks Chris, so it will be a specific area. I know this sounds really picky but do you get a choice in the area that you live in- say if they give you a list of area's. Or you just get told which one to go to.

I'm just thinking you could do a bit of research before upping sticks!

Yes you can choose any post code where to live subject to it being on the list.. They dont tell you which suburb you have to live... OMG imagin that!

Folk usually do reckies either on line or by an Holiday to check the best area's out.

Best wishes

Chris

Guest Gollywobbler

As with the lottery, you have to be in it to win it.....

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

The subclass 176 visa allows you to live anywhere you like in the Sponsoring State. The skilled regional sponsored sc 475 visa is the one that confines people to the areas away from the State Capitals. Please be clear about this difference between the two visas.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest eurosyl

The ACT is the only State/Territory which charges an application fee for State Sponsorship. All the other States provide it as a free service.

The link to all of the State/Territory websites is here:

Best wishes

Gill

This is no longer true, as NSW applies fees since March 1, 2009

Department of State and Regional Development

Department of State and Regional Development

Skilled Migration

Skilled Sponsored Visas (Sub classes 176, 886) $240.00 (including GST)

Applications received from offshore applicants will be exempt from the GST component. The fees for these applications will be $220.00.

Sylvia

Guest James.S
Hi james does this mean we are off the list mate

In a word.... maybe....

I don't know when this new list comes into effect, or if it will apply for people already in the system...

If anyone does know then please advise...

James...

:confused:

My understanding is that the new CSL has immediate effect.

This is from an email to registered migration agents from their professional body last night:

"As of now, only General Skilled Migration applications which are State/Territory sponsored, or which have nominated occupations on the new Critical Skills List will be processed. There will be no visa grants to other applicants until further notice, which is not likely to be before 1 July 2009, and may be much longer."

As I have said a few times now, if you have an occupation that is being State or Territory Sponsored for a subclass 176 visa you should be looking at such sponsorship as a visa strategy.

Best regards.

Dear friends,

Then very long queue only standing in front of all states to getting sponsors,How many sponsorship visas can give per state,becaz i just come to know that only 500 visas allowed for states.Offshore.Please reply me.I have applied Victoria state sponsor,general electrician,is it possible to get the sponsorship?

Ritu

Guest Gollywobbler
Dear friends,

Then very long queue only standing in front of all states to getting sponsors,How many sponsorship visas can give per state,becaz i just come to know that only 500 visas allowed for states.Offshore.Please reply me.I have applied Victoria state sponsor,general electrician,is it possible to get the sponsorship?

Ritu

Hello Ritu

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

When an occupation is on a State's own list for the 176 visa, the State concerned can nominate as many people as it likes. The State alone decides how many nominations to award for each listed occupation. The 500 places only applies when the occupation is not on the State's published List for the sc 176 visa.

Yes, the queue outside the State migration departments will now grow even longer after yesterday's news. I wonder whether the States were consulted in advance and agreed to the idea of total chaos and overworked, stressed staff in their State sponsorship processing teams?

Best wishes

Gill

Archived