General Skilled Migration Program - capping and amendment of CSL

George Lombard

It appears that DIAC are freezing processing of all applications outside of the current priorities, a very angry applicant has forwarded the following message to me and I think that it has to be interpreted pessimistically:

"Please note that due to the Ministers latest announcement on Mon 16 March 2009 (http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...09/ce09030.htm) regarding removal of occupations from the critical skills list we are unable to provide specific timeframes as to when your application will be finalized. The Critical Skills List is a list of occupations developed in response to the changing critical skills needs of Australia. It is focused on medical and key IT professionals and engineers.

The CSL is more responsive than the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL) in identifying and prioritizing applications for skills in critical shortage.

The CSL will be reviewed regularly by the Government to ensure that it remains valid and current in the changing circumstances. Processing applications on this list as soon as possible will ensure our economy gets the skills it needs now, not simply the migrants who applied first.

Effective from 1 January 2009, occupations that are not included in the CSL will not be given priority processing or finalization unless applicants are sponsored or nominated by a state or territory government.

If you wish to request a refund of the VAC2 payment pending finalization of your application, please forward the request to me."

When they are offering to refund a second instalment, that means that the final processing of applications outside state nomination or the CSL, whether or not you've undertaken a medical or had your police clearance, is going to be extremely delayed.

Cheers,

George Lombard

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It appears that DIAC are freezing processing of all applications outside of the current priorities, a very angry applicant has forwarded the following message to me and I think that it has to be interpreted pessimistically:

"Please note that due to the Ministers latest announcement on Mon 16 March 2009 (http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...09/ce09030.htm) regarding removal of occupations from the critical skills list we are unable to provide specific timeframes as to when your application will be finalized. The Critical Skills List is a list of occupations developed in response to the changing critical skills needs of Australia. It is focused on medical and key IT professionals and engineers.

The CSL is more responsive than the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL) in identifying and prioritizing applications for skills in critical shortage.

The CSL will be reviewed regularly by the Government to ensure that it remains valid and current in the changing circumstances. Processing applications on this list as soon as possible will ensure our economy gets the skills it needs now, not simply the migrants who applied first.

Effective from 1 January 2009, occupations that are not included in the CSL will not be given priority processing or finalization unless applicants are sponsored or nominated by a state or territory government.

If you wish to request a refund of the VAC2 payment pending finalization of your application, please forward the request to me."

When they are offering to refund a second instalment, that means that the final processing of applications outside state nomination or the CSL, whether or not you've undertaken a medical or had your police clearance, is going to be extremely delayed.

Cheers,

George Lombard

nice waistcoat,synthetic or wool?:biggrin:,no seriously............i think its a disgrace that DIAC didnt put a cut off date on,i.e everyone on the csl up to the date of the changes should have been processed ?

nice waistcoat,synthetic or wool?:biggrin:,no seriously............i think its a disgrace that DIAC didnt put a cut off date on,i.e everyone on the csl up to the date of the changes should have been processed ?

Yep this SUCKS BIG TIME...:mad:

You'd think when people have carried out and supplied medicals and Pccs that their applications would be seen through...

They must think money grows on trees in the UK...

Guest jenny79
Hi Jenny,

No idea. When I spoke to the ASPC on Monday it was clear that they had all heard about this over their breakfast cereal. The Minister's language was quite emphatic about stopping grants for these tradesmen so I guess the first anyone will know is when an ex-CSL tradie gets a visa. Haven't heard of or seen any today. I assume that the enormous collective power of PiO can answer that for you, although my guess is that the ASPC has lost a couple of days of processing figuring out what to do next.

Cheers,

George Lombard

george, apologies, seems like i missed your reply yesterday... tks! i guess your post today confirmed that their application will be frozen :no:

Hi

I'm a newbie, and posted my message on this thread this afternoon, well 3 postings actually. They were on page 18 about me looking at student visa and whether these changes to CSL would affect me.

Pablo replied a couple of times to my message. Does anyone know why my message and Pablo's responses have been deleted.

Like i said i'm a newbie so bit disappointed to why this happened.

Cheers

Ant and Rach

Just wondered if any one knows what happens if you apply for 176 only to be told with the never ending changes that the state is not sponsoring your trade even though it was when you first looked into changing and started the swap over, Can and will they do this ? Sorry to look on the black side!

Guest asrais

Dawny, as far as I know, when a state changes its sponsoring policy, it only effects applicants from a certain date, anyone who has already applied should be fine.

Ant&Rach, I think your post may have been off topic and thats why it was deleted. Maybe you could start your own thread, I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses.

Dawny, as far as I know, when a state changes its sponsoring policy, it only effects applicants from a certain date, anyone who has already applied should be fine.

Ant&Rach, I think your post may have been off topic and thats why it was deleted. Maybe you could start your own thread, I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses.

Many thanks for your reply, i think im just a worry bags now, not knowing what can happen next, thanks again x

Guest smiler77
Hi

I'm a newbie, and posted my message on this thread this afternoon, well 3 postings actually. They were on page 18 about me looking at student visa and whether these changes to CSL would affect me.

Pablo replied a couple of times to my message. Does anyone know why my message and Pablo's responses have been deleted.

Cheers

Ant and Rach

Hi Ant and Rach,

think posts were given own thread - Retraining as a brickie in Oz, probably so you would get more replies,

Smiles Tracy ;0)

Guest proud2beaussie
Hi

Cheers

Ant and Rach

I think you will find your posts here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/56834-re-training-bricky-oz.html

Guest Gollywobbler
Just wondered if any one knows what happens if you apply for 176 only to be told with the never ending changes that the state is not sponsoring your trade even though it was when you first looked into changing and started the swap over, Can and will they do this ? Sorry to look on the black side!

Hi Dawny

VIC have something of a chequered track record with this question. In some cases VIC are honouring their original List. With other applicants they appear not to have done so.

However you are interested in SA, who are consistent. They have made a clear statement about their own stance today. Please see Mariana's "sticky" thread for the details.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi

Cheers

Ant and Rach

Hi Ant & Rach

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

As a couple of others have explained, your exchange with Pablo is about a different topic from the one being discussed in this thread so I have given you a separate thread of your own. Hopefully your new thread will attract input from other brickies besides Pablo so that you can get a cross section of opinions/perceptions to consider.

Best wishes

Gill

Further clarification of GSM Processing Priorities received from the MIA's very helpful Kevin Lane:

Folowing our enquiries to DIAC, we have just received the following advice:

1. Applicants with $100K designated investment

The Minister's office has agreed that applications that were stalled by the closure of the capital investment program can proceed, and will not be subject to the new processing priorities. Applicants who are not in an occupation on the CSL but have been requested to submit a bond with the South Australian Financing Authority can proceed to grant.

2. Applications remitted by Migration Review Tribunal (MRT)

DIAC will continue processing of non-CSL applications remitted by the MRT.

3. Offshore applicants in Australia

DIAC will continue processing offshore applications by non-CSL clients who are onshore and required to depart Australia where a pre-grant letter has already been sent.

4. Pre- 1 September 2007 applications

The Minister's S499 direction on priority processing (including the CSL) applies to all applicants in the applicable visa subclasses including GSM applications lodged prior to 1 September 2007.

5. New information documents:

Fact Sheet - Changes to the 2008-09 Skilled Migration Program which can be found on the DIAC website at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/migration-program.pdf

This fact sheet provides the Government's rationale for changes to the skilled migration program and processing priorities

2008-09 Migration Program Changes - March 2009 - Frequently Asked Questions

This can be found on the DIAC website at: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq.pdf

This contains information on:

Capping the Skilled Migration Program

New Critical Skills List - 16 March 2009

Priority processing

Employer sponsorship

State nomination

Students

Subclass 457 - Business (Long Stay) visa

Please note: This document states that there will be a capping of the 2008-09 General Skilled Migration (GSM) Program, but it then goes on to say that the only visas to be capped at this time are the business skills visa classes:

•Class EA Business Talent (Migrant)

• Class UR Provisional Business Skills visa

• Class DF Residence Business Skills visa

• Class BH Established Business in Australia

Other categories may be capped later this program year to ensure that the 115 000 ceiling is not breached.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest The "legdes"

Hi Yorkies,

Were from York too.

Our agent has now advised we apply for state sponsorship - so that's what we'll be doing.

Seems bizarre doesn't it - having to go through the whole state thing to just move our app that final step. If DIAC had been more on the ball they would have finalised our app before these changes were announced but they dragged their heels for a week once everything had been met and now we are paying the price (literally).

The quicker we are in and citizens and have a VOTE the better !! We totally agree with what they are trying to achieve but think the way are doing it is imoral.

Hi guys

I'd just like to say i feel ever so sorry for you....

Alot of us have come so close and fallen again at the last hurdle, but to be as close as you are and be left in limbo is just really.....Well poor..:nah:

I'd like to hope theres a good outcome for you and wish you the very best for the future, lets hope one of us gets in the door before it closes..

Guest backspace

hm... thx for the information... was shocked to see quite a number of amendments to the CSL list... I was surprise that Accountant was on the list due to the fact that there were heaps of people coming here to study this subject.... But I was told that they were trying to curb people who could not converse fluently in English and they are still welcoming Accountants with a proficient level in English... Seems that this change would only affect those in the construction and building industry... Just one question, I'm a recent graduate who have applied under the visa subclass 885 and yes I am an Accountant whereby I have acquired 8 overall for IETLS with a minimum of 7 in all four competencies. I was just wondering how would all this changes affect my application and any input or feedback is well appreciated... cheers...

Guest proud2beaussie
Hi Yorkies,

Were from York too.

Our agent has now advised we apply for state sponsorship - so that's what we'll be doing.

Seems bizarre doesn't it - having to go through the whole state thing to just move our app that final step. If DIAC had been more on the ball they would have finalised our app before these changes were announced but they dragged their heels for a week once everything had been met and now we are paying the price (literally).

The quicker we are in and citizens and have a VOTE the better !! We totally agree with what they are trying to achieve but think the way are doing it is imoral.

Sorry but having a vote changes nothing,the current government isn't the first to change migration policy and it won't be the last ,the government has a responsibility to manage the migration program and it will do it the way it believes is best for Australia,just as the UK government does what it thinks is best for the UK,the fact that in many peoples opinion they are doing it wrong is neither here nor there in the long run,and it's just a case of accepting the changes and moving on,it's a shame that many people are being affected by these changes but the changes,rightly or wrongly have been made in the interests of Australia as a whole.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Agents

I've noticed an intriguing statement at the end of the "rationale" paper:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/migration-program.pdf

It says that State/Territory Governments have been given an expanded list of baseline occupations that they can use if they want to in their State Sponsorship programs.

Presumably they can already choose anything which is on the SOL? If I am right about that then what is this "expanded list"?

In my role as the Patron Saint of Lost Causes (to quote George Lombard one day, lol!) I am interested in promoting the cause of some of the people in Group 5 - 7 occupations, particularly the people who are specifically mentioned on the NT Occupations Shortage List:

http://www.nt.gov.au/dbe/employment/workforce_nt/docs/nt_occupation_shortage_list.pdf

The "other shortages" section. To import migrant Tour Guides with no local knowledge is plainly nonsense. However I read a report recently by a senior bod at Leighton Holdings, who are civil engineers and associated activities. He insisted thet Australia has a pretty dire shortage of Concretors even though that is a Group 9 occupation. There is definitely a shortage of Aged Care Workers in some areas and so forth.

Are DIAC hinting that some of these occupations are going to be encouraged via State Sponsorship? If so, will they be put onto the SOL so that GSM visas will become possible?

I am wondering what they are hinting at here?

Many thanks

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Taffordbark

This thread is about the State Sponsored subclass 176 and 475 visas.

Your own query is about the subclass 119 RSMS visa.

Therefore I have moved your post to a new thread of its own, which is here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/57216-rsms-visa-delay-south-australia.html

I will answer your query on your new thread.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Taffordbark

This thread is about the State Sponsored subclass 176 and 475 visas.

Your own query is about the subclass 119 RSMS visa.

Therefore I have moved your post to a new thread of its own, which is here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/57216-rsms-visa-delay-south-australia.html

I will answer your query on your new thread.

Best wishes

Gill

Ahh there you are!!!!!!!:notworthy: "barmyrockchick" is looking for advise gill,just starting the process,just thought i'd let you know incase you can help,if i advise her she will end up in nepal

Archived