transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Guest guest25493

wow,just opdating myself on reading your posts, and your comments bring back so many memories. cannot believe we have been here amost 6 months already.have any of you checked out the time line i did?

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/63208-rn-ran-lateral-transfer-timeline.html

after that it was quite plain sailing, hire car to london was sorted,tickets printed off for plane, hotel in london and singapore all booked, and they do this for you. Today, some new laterals arrived at sydney airport,in fact my hubby is one of their hosts. A host just collects you from the airport,takes you to the hotel,helps the sailor at work with kit up etc, and help you and your family find your feet.

good luck everyone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ironduke

Ok I've just received word from RAN about labour agreemnt - it is the next thing to wait for. So my sequence of events so far:

1. Make application of interest via RAN website which includes sending service history and qualifications

2. Attend interview including telephone interview for wife

3. Fill in application form giving permission to conduct security searches etc

4. Get RN medical (basically a PULHEEM with blood tests for HIV and cholesterol) and eye test

5. Wait for Terms of Service (now received)

6. Wait for labour agreement

Thanks to all for previous timelines - very helpful

Cheers

Guest Ironduke

Hmm its been a couple of weeks now but everone on here seems to a slightly different experience ha ha, did you get the price of the Visa sorted in the end?

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello as I am starting to look at a transfer to the RAN. Me and the wife have been discussing it for years and said that this year we would do all the research. Probably looking at going in 4 years, so havent made any contact yet. Have looked through all the info that you have posted on here and have found it really helpful

Speak soon

Dixie

Guest Ironduke
Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello as I am starting to look at a transfer to the RAN. Me and the wife have been discussing it for years and said that this year we would do all the research. Probably looking at going in 4 years, so havent made any contact yet. Have looked through all the info that you have posted on here and have found it really helpful

Speak soon

Dixie

Hi Dixie - I believe the closest you can apply is about 2 years before you decide to go outside, its fairly straightforward with massive waits inbetween!

Cheers

Hi there Duke and Anita,

thanks for the welcome. Looking at the timelines on here 2 years seems to be the right amount of time for everything to come through. My TX date is May 2014, so was wondering if I have to actually go outside before transfer or transfer just prior.

Guest Ironduke

My TX date is May 2014, so was wondering if I have to actually go outside before transfer or transfer just prior.

Short answer is no mate, you have to be outside when they take you on. In fact 'transfer' is a bit misleading really, you are applying for a new job and my interview was very similar to a civvy one. Of course you can start the process while still in the mob and would recommend it as you can get a freebie medical (not immgration though) and you need to get all certificates and service history in order. Top tip: get proof of all your sea time if possible, the old service history sheets used to list your ships, JPA doesn't. This will affect your Oz sea pay which is quite high so worth doing the legwork. I doubt that the RAN can work on what vacancies they might have in 4 years time so may ask you to wait, I don't know that for a fact though. However I seem to remember somewhere that they recommend you are in the last 2 years as that is the ideal amount of time to get everything done.

Applying to receiving TOS took about a year and a half, I dragged arse though making my mind up so it could be quicker.

Cheers

Hi there Duke and Anita,

thanks for the welcome. Looking at the timelines on here 2 years seems to be the right amount of time for everything to come through. My TX date is May 2014, so was wondering if I have to actually go outside before transfer or transfer just prior.

In addition to what ironduke said, to get your sea time assessed, it is handy to ask for your old NMMIS printout from the records centre at whale island. Because the old SC (the blueish parchment type document) was done away with about 8(?) years ago, there will be a shortfall between then and now unless it is recorded on JPA(don't know myself if it is/isn't). I left the RN 3 years ago and applied for the NMMIS (something like that anyway) printout, . I've just had my seatime accredited as 5000 odd days, which will qualify for the top whack when i get to a ship.

Guest Ironduke
In addition to what ironduke said, to get your sea time assessed, it is handy to ask for your old NMMIS printout from the records centre at whale island. Because the old SC (the blueish parchment type document) was done away with about 8(?) years ago, there will be a shortfall between then and now unless it is recorded on JPA(don't know myself if it is/isn't). I left the RN 3 years ago and applied for the NMMIS (something like that anyway) printout, . I've just had my seatime accredited as 5000 odd days, which will qualify for the top whack when i get to a ship.

Nice one - might do it myself!

Hi I just spoke to my husband about proving ur sea pay, and he said that your sea time is on your final write up you get from the navy, and we have only been here 18 months, so its not somehting you shouls worry about

Anita:laugh:

If your planning on leaving and then joining you could be really cheeky and did what we did lol my hubby told his capt that he was applying for the RAN then asked him if he could wait till he got an answer back then put in his notice and go early release thankfully his capt said yes, Our TOS has got us going out january 2011 so my hubby really needs to be putting his notice in now lol, but then you dont get if you dont ask .

You could do that, but you need to be very careful, my husbands captain let him go from the ship but then, then had to go to sultan once he had left the ship.

The other way of doing it, saving a load of leave is one. You have to watch that you do your 22 years because of ur pension, we looked into everyway possible to get out here earlly and they wouldnt let us do it. Its not worth losing the pension for the sake of just a few days, months etc.

Hope all goes to plan for you

Anita

Hi all, how are things going that end, have they told you yet where ur being drafted to out here, Hope everything is going ok for all. Loads to do at the mo i expect. I havent forgetton how much you have to do be well worth it once you get here. If you need to know anything just ask, there is so much to remember, and thinkgs you might to know.

Enjoy the summer, it winter here and its a bit cold at the mo lol

Anita

You could do that, but you need to be very careful, my husbands captain let him go from the ship but then, then had to go to sultan once he had left the ship.

The other way of doing it, saving a load of leave is one. You have to watch that you do your 22 years because of ur pension, we looked into everyway possible to get out here earlly and they wouldnt let us do it. Its not worth losing the pension for the sake of just a few days, months etc.

Hope all goes to plan for you

Anita

Actually it`s in the Regs that if you have a written job offer you can get out a few months early (up to 3 months I think -can`t remember the full ins & outs but I think it was to do with your 22 yrs) but it`s what my hubby did and he still got all his entitlements (mind you we`ve been here 3 years so that might have changed, talk to your writer on board). As for the sea time our friends who who had the NIMMIS print out have had their sea time recognised pretty quickly - hubby joined in April, gave them the the print out in May and had his sea time confirmed last week - others have been in RAN since January are still waiting to hear. Put it this way it won`t hurt to bring it with you.

I have a copy of my service certificate which states all establisments and ships that I served on until July 2001. Although it doesnt state the actual days spent at sea as sea time was just based on being on a sea going unit, where as now it is based on seperated service and only accrues when a ship is out of base port. Not sure what figure the printout from Whale Island will be based on or what figure the RAN base there Sea pay on

I have a copy of my service certificate which states all establisments and ships that I served on until July 2001. Although it doesnt state the actual days spent at sea as sea time was just based on being on a sea going unit, where as now it is based on seperated service and only accrues when a ship is out of base port. Not sure what figure the printout from Whale Island will be based on or what figure the RAN base there Sea pay on

The NMMIS printout is about 40 or so pages (well, mine was- served 23.5 years ish) there is a page about half way through with a LSSB payment service table on it detailing the ships (as opposed to establishments) served on and start/finish dates of sea service. Start of sea time is indicated by a 1 entry, non sea time with a 0 entry.If you look at the table, you can see when you were receiving creditted sea time, so the RAN can just add the days up. The top tier of sea pay in the RAN is for above 11 years, and is a considerable amount. I can't honestly say how the RAN assess eligibility for the sea time (e.g. on a seagoing ship or away from the wall) however, they will accept that if your printout (also your pay slip, if it still details LSSB time. Be aware that the pay slip alone might not be enough), but the NMMIS printout should transfer your sea time one for one ( 10 years RN sea time, should get 10 years RAN sea time). I do know one fella who is having trouble proving his sea time, but i think he only supplied the old SC (s459) and maybe some pay slips. He was assessed as being just short of the top tier, but in the RN he had completed about 15 or 16 years sea time.The following is a link to the website that you might want to visit, there is a link to a pdf form you can send to them.

Obtaining Royal Navy Service Records & Medals : Contact : Royal Navy

PDF form website:

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B5026EDF-9760-4EBD-B799-075A37BD30B9/0/dpa_sar_form.pdf

In the field where it asks for extra information to help with finding the info you need, state that you want anythingfrom NMMIS and JPA regarding individual units/ships and sea service time. It may be the data protection act printout- that's the only heading on my form. Hope this helps.

p.s. As regards how the RAN credit sea time, what i was trying to say is that it doesn't really matter, as long as you can prove what the RN credited you with- you should get the same .

Iit is on the details they give u when you leave the RN, my husbnad said they no longer put it on your pay chits. My husband just gave them copies of what they gave him when he left, the mob. I wouldnt worry about that much, his was sorted b4 he went to sea, and most people dont go to sea until they have been in Australia at least a year, unless you say you want to go.

Anita

Iit is on the details they give u when you leave the RN, my husbnad said they no longer put it on your pay chits. My husband just gave them copies of what they gave him when he left, the mob. I wouldnt worry about that much, his was sorted b4 he went to sea, and most people dont go to sea until they have been in Australia at least a year, unless you say you want to go.

Anita

We were advised to go with the NIMMIS printout by 3 of our friends who went lateral(they arrived here a few months after us - 3 years ago now, perhaps what the RN give on discharge now has changed??) , it was all pretty smooth for them getting it recognised and indeed has been for my husband - like I said though in a previous post

some of the guys who didn`t have been banging their head against a brick wall with it for quite a few months now. Maybe it depends on who`s looking after your pay & stuff as to how quickly it`s sorted.:wacko:At the end of the day like you say so long as it`s sorted to your satisfaction before you join a ship.

Hi and welcome, we have done it and been here 19 months loving every min. I f you need anything just ask. Nev and Angie know a lot of things aswell we are all here to help

Anita and Dougie

Thanks - we`ve been in Oz 3 years now, a lot of our friends have done the lateral transfer since we arrived - they were the ones who persuaded us it was a good idea to go RAN (It`s a bit of pompey reunion round our way - you move half way round the world and the neighbours follow you!!)- typically we chose to go the hard way - now wish we`d lateral transferred but oh well! Hubbys been in RAN since 1st April and enjoying it so far - job security counts for a lot!

(It`s a bit of pompey reunion round our way - you move half way round the world and the neighbours follow you!!)- !

I think i must have a that Pompey homing beacon too then ;) Sydney for me...i hope

I know that they finished NMIS printouts about 8 years ago and i've only done 11. Would i have to used my JPA printouts and payslips?

Archived