• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Navydog21

Thankyou for the replies

Will have good read when i get a day off work :biglaugh:

Thanks for the link and email.

Guest Ironduke

Just apply online matey, its a little labourious and you have to provide quite a lot of info but you should get a yes or no pretty quickly. You might also try the NZ navy, I always thought Woos were in demand to be honest and i heard a buzz you might be able to join their RAF, but thats just a buzz!

Cheers

Navydog21, where are you working, VL, CD or other?

I know several from VL who did it just before their closed the Woo entry level, they are now over there living the high life, also there are several who have lodged their interest with the 2 1/2 over there waiting should the WOO line re-open, try talking directly with the RAN (someone will know the 2 and 1/2's email somewhere, ask him, he should be able to tell you if its worth waiting or not)

Guest Navydog21

Hello Gaz

Im at VL. I sent an email and spoke to Terry.

Here is the email reply

David

Thank you for your interest in joining the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). The RAN has established merit based parameters for recruiting and managing applicants from foreign military forces to meet particular workforce requirements as they arise from time to time.

In your case, I regret to advise you that your application to join the Royal Australian Navy will not be progressed further. The decision not to pursue your application in no way reflects negatively on your military qualifications and experience but rather results from the RAN’s workforce needs within your particular employment category, which are now being satisfied through achievement of domestic recruiting activities. As the Aviation categories have been removed from the critical recruiting list and the RAN has no positions available that fully align with your skill sets as a Aviation sailor. This situation is unlikely to change in the near future.

You may wish to apply for Australian permanent residency through the Department of Immigration yourself. If you gain this, then you may apply to join the RAN through an Australian Defence Force Recruiting Agency, be aware that this office is not involved with this process. The web site for the Australian Immigration Department if you are still interested is www.diac.gov.au.

Your interest in the Royal Australian Navy is appreciated and I wish you every success in your future career choices.

Regards

Terry George

LCDR, RAN

Staff Officer Overseas Appointments

I asked about applying again in a few years time and he said if there is an opening then i would be looked at but if not i wouldnt be. I can understand the reason as im sure they would rather a force filled with their own nationality.

Really gutted tbh as ive dreamt of doing this for a few years now but wanted to have a baby first

Hello Gaz

Im at VL. I sent an email and spoke to Terry.

Here is the email reply

David

Thank you for your interest in joining the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). The RAN has established merit based parameters for recruiting and managing applicants from foreign military forces to meet particular workforce requirements as they arise from time to time.

In your case, I regret to advise you that your application to join the Royal Australian Navy will not be progressed further. The decision not to pursue your application in no way reflects negatively on your military qualifications and experience but rather results from the RAN’s workforce needs within your particular employment category, which are now being satisfied through achievement of domestic recruiting activities. As the Aviation categories have been removed from the critical recruiting list and the RAN has no positions available that fully align with your skill sets as a Aviation sailor. This situation is unlikely to change in the near future.

You may wish to apply for Australian permanent residency through the Department of Immigration yourself. If you gain this, then you may apply to join the RAN through an Australian Defence Force Recruiting Agency, be aware that this office is not involved with this process. The web site for the Australian Immigration Department if you are still interested is www.diac.gov.au.

Your interest in the Royal Australian Navy is appreciated and I wish you every success in your future career choices.

Regards

Terry George

LCDR, RAN

Staff Officer Overseas Appointments

I asked about applying again in a few years time and he said if there is an opening then i would be looked at but if not i wouldnt be. I can understand the reason as im sure they would rather a force filled with their own nationality.

Really gutted tbh as ive dreamt of doing this for a few years now but wanted to have a baby first

OK, no worries, where next then NZ? I have know of a couple of Aircrew grunters who have transferred. Not sure on AETs.

Have you considered applying under the 176 State Sponsored route to get to OZ, its on your own wallet but i guess this depends upon who much you and yours want it. I am at the beginning of the process apply on the 176 route as an Aircraft Engineer having just finished my 22 (well 24 to be exact) but thats for other threads. Unless your close to pension, or still loving the job then i guess this isnt an option, but if your loosing interest quick, not stuck in the pension trap and have the financies available the gat that page filled out on JPA and shove your notice in..... Big step, huge decission, i know and not one to be taken lightly. (See i was always good as a DO for RN retention?????:chatterbox:)

Also as a note, if its NZ for you i know of someone based at VL who left the RN, moved to NZ then came back to the UK and joined back up, i can give you his name (unless you know who i am talking about) i am sure he will give you some honest (not biased) opinions of NZ, but as a civvie though.

Guest Navydog21

interested in any info mate. Not sure who your on about tbh.

ive only done 9 years so only just coming upto half pension territory.

Im enjoying the job also for a change at present. Think its down to the fact that i dont have to revise for anything.

I think the 176 route is out my reach at present.

Thanks for taking time to give me info

Guest allinaus

Just joined and can't quite work out how to send you an e-mail. Do hope this gets to you! We are in the process of moving to Canberra (intended arrival Jan 2011). I have been looking at posts regarding school choices and areas to live and came across a number of your posts. Would be very interested to hear if you had any recommends on schools/where to live etc. Hope to hear from you!!

Guest sailorsgirl

Hey, so sorry, im not entirely sure where to post this, but me and my husband are looking to moving to australia, through a navy transfer. In the information we've been given it quotes "married with a spouse who is a national of the country concerned" does anyone know if this means australia, or the UK? Thank u xx

Has ur husband been offered a job by the RAN? If he has then u will come with him, and they pay for everything. U dont need to be from Australia. I have been here 16 months with the husband and 3 teenage kids. Hope this helps need help just ask

Anita

Hi just read ur post. First of all i had a friend that brought her son with her, and didnt tell her ex, the only problem she had was that he did not get citizenship, when her husband did. the other problem she had was weather she could claim family allowance for him over here, because ur husband how is not there father they dont take any of that in, even though its ur husband that is paying for everything, Things are very different here to the uk. U just need to be careful when trying to claim money for them. Hope u undersatnd all of this . hope everything is going ok with things for u

Anita

Hiya All,

Just managed to finally get my medical done and all my medical docs copied. Got all my div docs copied too. So just gotta get a copy of my conduct record and 2 references and thats me all done. So i should be ready for posting it off and await the next stage!

THis has taken ages!

Hi all,

We're still waiting to hear something from sending in our initial application/certs/refs/appraisals/etc, it will be 8 weeks on Monday since they received it. It is currently with the catagory manager.

Trying to stay positive and not go insane from the not knowing :wacko: Fingers crossed we hear something soon.

Good Luck everyone!:wink:

Guest Ironduke

Hi, we are in the same place as you, RN meds in, docs in and interview done and awaiting terms of reference, its been a few weeks but will post as soon as something comes back.

Cheers

Guest guest25493
Hi, the time has come to start sending documents to Oz, can anyone recommend a good postal service to use?

hi we used DHL...keep receipts because you can claim everything back when you get here, postage, passport photos, medicals,etc.

We have been in Sydney since january with the RAN

Guest Ironduke

Hi, I must admit I just used the post office - international signed for - which will track it to their building in Canberra. I don't suppose the cost matters much if its claimable but some will be cheaper than others

Cheers

Hi,

We used DHL. It was £30 and took 3 days. They give you a stiff cardboard envelope to put everything in and they print the address label. We put our application into a thin clear folder and then our own addressed envelope, just to keep it all together in case it got lost at their offices.

DHL's tracking page is great too. Kept the kids and I entertained all weekend!

We sent our application nearly 2 months ago and haven't had anything back yet, so be prepared for a bit of a wait.

Good Luck

Guest guest25493

just a quick note for you all to keep in mind. We have been in aus with the r.a.n from rn for 4 months now, and it has been hard..we will settle , but be prepared for how hard it is. The RAN dont do leave, ie easter leave etc, you earn leave, for each month you get a set amount,1.4 days, something like that, get a little more when on a ship, but not much, so be prepared to work, 8-4..no make a mends here. Half day on fridays, and on wednesday afternoon, shore side is sports, but sometimes you work. They will send you on weeks of suck egg courses, and because you have to drop a rate, sometimes you will be spoken to like **** by a rank above you, who knows less then you. My hubby was taught how to do sunset rtc, 18 years he was in the rn for 18 years. not being negative...just be prepared to bite your tongue, and for the family, dont expect hubby to be home to help collect the kids, be at assemblys etc, he wont. Most dHA housing is at least an hours motor bike ride away from the base ( well in sydney it is, perth is a lot better)so early starts on workdays. keep as much proof of sea time, they will do everything to wriggle out of paying you your owed sea time.

buy a toll gizmo..otherwise you will get stung. you can easily end up on a tow road without knowing, until you have a $14 fine through . you can get them through the RTA.

Australia is expensive, food,cars schooling,etc, so when you first arrive, you will feel like all you are doing is spending money, and until you are on a ship..pay is crap( even though it is fortnightly)

please dont get me wrong, i am not being negative, australia is a lovely place, and eventually we will settle down, but we didnt realise it would be this hard to begin with. other laterals and their wives said to me it takes at least a year to adjust to the life, and that it was the hardest thing they have ever done.

just want you to realise, that everything will be good, lovely place to live, but be prepared for reality, not everything is going to be fantastic. And if any of you come to sydney, get in touch, and we will help you make friends, get your head around silly things etc, just make it easier.

good luck with your transfers...and when you get here. you will love it...just be prepared

Archived