transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

I'm wondering what the wait is! I gave my RORRS to Terry George in May and emailed him in August and his reply was "its with the trade assessors". does anyone know how long this takes? I'm still waiting for the application pack to come through.

At the interview in May, they said i would get my offer of service in October and i would put my notice in and join next October. But this doesn't look like thats happening now. I just wish i was kept in the loop more, this waiting is killing me. Not to mention the doubts!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ross6144

Hi all,

havn't been on for a while all seems to be moving at a pace now, I've just sent my Visa off today By DHL. hopefully might get a reply before christmas. got our medicals next Friday 13th hope thats not a omen. will be glad when I start getting some firm dates hopefully We will be going next June.

Garry

Guest terrigary

Good luck with the visa application, once you have the labour agreement it should be straight forward.

You are right, things do move quick, we get aour belongings shipped over on the 23rd November, the house is upside down at the moment!!!!

The Australians do seem very efficient with evrything they organise!!!!!! Totally alien to me coming from the RN!!!!!!

Gary

Guest ross6144

Hi,

Is any body else travelling next June, We are going to Sydney once the Visa has been granted hopefully we will get some firm dates. I'll be glad when I'm at the the same stage as the rest of you So looking forward to go.

Garry

Guest terrigary
Hi Gary!

Hope you and your family are well!

Thanks for the warning about the addresses for the housing people... hubby decided to fax them the forms as the numbers were the same... just to be on the safe side. Have you heard from them at all yet? We've now been allocated our temp accomodaton. We've been given a rather nice holiday villa... due to the number and ages of our children. I was thinking of googling... 'australian squatters rights' because it looks really nice on the website! lol

Oh... just thought... have you asked your daughters school for her school records or a report of some kind to take with you? I'm not sure what the protocol is for emigrating to be honest.

Good luck with your sorting and packing... it will be over soon and then you'll be able to sit back, put your feet up and laugh... when the rest of us are getting stressed with our houses upside down!

Liz

Hi Liz

We are all fine here, really looking forward to it now, hope you are all well. We haven't heard yet from the DHA, but my mate, who went over to Perth in July told me not to expect a quick response!!!!!

We have been allocated the Beachside Apartment Hotel, not sure if it is the same place you have got, it's a 2 bedroom apartment. I looked at it on google earth, looks really nice, i'll quite happily stay their!!!!!!!!!

My daughter started secondary school in September, we have her end of school paperwork from her primary school, we have had to send a letter to the school about her leaving, i'm not sure if we will get anything else as she has been their such a short time. We have also had to submit a letter to my little boys primary school, we got all the information from our local education authority, I suppose it will be the same for any education authority though.

I couldn't believe how much junk we had gathered over the years, I can't wait til we've moved out now, the house is completely rammed with boxes!!!!!!!! It will be nice to sit back and put our feet up, if we will have anything to put them up on!!!!!!! The only good thing now is I'm now jobless!!!! I officially left the Navy last month, so iv'e got plenty of time now to get everything sorted.

When do you get all your belongings shipped out?

Take care

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya All!

We're still waiting for the trade assessors to make a decision. Emailed Terry George for the umpteenth time and he said that he has chased them and to be patient.:mad:

On a good note. My aunt and Uncle who live in Melbourne, visited Cerberus the other day and got me a load of bumf, including brochures on new builds near them. Just to give us an idea of size and prices. I cant wait if im honest! Oh, i got an all important, RAN stubby holder, for my watered down lager!

Got a question though. My mothers not that keen on us moving out. She's behind us all the way, but she's not hiding the fact that she doesnt want us to take her grandson away. She wants to come with us but, thinks that she wont get out there on points. She hasnt got trade, she works for an accountancy firm doing their admin work. What do you think guys, would a 55 yr old clerical worker get out there because all her family has moved there?

Meddy.

Hi,

Is any body else travelling next June, We are going to Sydney once the Visa has been granted hopefully we will get some firm dates. I'll be glad when I'm at the the same stage as the rest of you So looking forward to go.

Garry

Hi Gary,

I am awaiting my labour agreement with a date of June predicted by the RAN, I know of 2 other RN members going too. All M E tiffs going to Sydney, Anzac class. How are you finding everything so far?

Dean

Guest ross6144

Hi Dean,

I've been told i'll probaly be going to ANZAC as well I'm a chief L, where you at the moment? me and my family(wife and daughter) have just completed our medicals and the Visa is currently being processed. are you taking any family? I also know a couple of people who are transferring one goes in January to Sydney the other is looking to go in August to Perth. The Visa took some getting together but its all done now just waiting on reply.

Garry

Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > ARRSE International > > Australia > > Assistance for the Families of Lateral Transferees to ADF

Link is to a thread thats running on Arrse website, has loads of very useful links relating to all Laterals and their families......contacts for housing, education, entitlements, pay and conditions etc.

Most of the posts on there are by a lady called Camilla who is the new rep for Laterals with DFA (Defence Families Association....sort of volunteer welfare/SSAFA). Tho it appears very army orientated, it applies equally to Navy transfers as well and is well worth a look.

Guest guest25493

hi all, well things really are moving now, we move out of this house on the 29th December, how chaotic is that? we move in with my dad and then my hubby signs on the dotted line Jan 11th, fly on the 12th ready for singapore. we are currently putting our maried Quarter back to its original state, nice curtains and lamp shades, lol. we have temp accomodation sorted in sydney Medina Grand Sydney

511 Kent Street. it is a three bedroom apartment. Just wish we could get access to homefind so we can get a house. We have reserved a house which we had heads up about, but we still dont know if it is ours or not. i want to sort out schools etc.

anyone else know about there housing yet?my hubby is going to Cerebus early feb so I would prefer to get into a house before he goes, but if not, we are lucky to have ppl to help me out over there. had an email today from terry , basic info really about tax numbers etc. and my hubby sent off his last form about his medical the other day. well next things on the list, informing tax credits, child benefit etc. we have informed most other things.

My eldest daughter turned on the xmas lights in plymouth last week with biggins and george sampson, and when she was up on stage, all her friends were cheering her etc, and I suddenly felt a pang of guilt about taking away from all her friends. I know she will make new friends quickly as she is a bright popular girl, and I know she will grow to love sydney, but the guilt is still there.

well, good luck with everyones packing, and have a great christmas ( will probably be an emotional one)

Hi if there is anyone in the plymouth area willing to discuss the big move over a coffee, will you PM me. I am moving with my wife in June and would love anybody elses advice etc.

Does anyone know what the offer is from the RAN ref Pensions etc?

Regards

Guest nev_n_angie

I was in Plymouth up to September 2007, but now in Canberra - what info regarding pensions (Superannuation) did you want to know? It's a bit more complicated here but my understanding is that there is a compulsary 5% for the employee and up to 28% (depending on Prior Service years recognised etc) for the Employer in the ADF. The Navy are paying 28% of Hubbies Salary into his Superannuation! Not bad...

There are loads of websites that can help - but it's very different to NIC's in UK. You can also Salary Sacrifice to Super as a pre tax amount etc, but it's personal preference once you get here.

PM me if you need website info etc

Angie

Hi Angie,

Much appreciated on the information, I will be coming over as a PO and have 11 years service under my belt, Im not sure what that equates to but if you would mind giving me the websites or info it would be much appreciated.

Always good to know what your going to e getting/giving

Regards

Dean

Guest nev_n_angie
Hi Angie,

Much appreciated on the information, I will be coming over as a PO and have 11 years service under my belt, Im not sure what that equates to but if you would mind giving me the websites or info it would be much appreciated.

Always good to know what your going to e getting/giving

Regards

Dean

Hi Dean

www.militarysuper.gov.au

Not too sure on length of service issues etc, but the minimum is 18% Employer Contributions, so it's all good. Taxation is very different here too - although they are clamping down on it - you can Salary package cars etc - through smart salary - and additional contributions to Superannuation are also pre tax. The limits have changed, but you can look through all that when you get here.

Angie

Hope this helps!

Guest terrigary

Pickfrods are on their second day of removals at the moment, only 2 of them and what a brilliant job they are doing, really efficient. They do everything and put your mind at ease about your belongs and do a really professional job. very impressed. It all seems very real now about the move to OZ, unfortunatley our house is quickly turning into an empty shell!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Good luck to any of you coming out to Perth, we were in the same situation last year. Husband transferred from RN and is now on Garden sland. We live in Port Kennedy. If anyone needs any info just let me know. I know what a big upheaval it is and how daunting it is once you get here. if I can help with finding out any info just let me know.

Guest terrigary
Good luck to any of you coming out to Perth, we were in the same situation last year. Husband transferred from RN and is now on Garden sland. We live in Port Kennedy. If anyone needs any info just let me know. I know what a big upheaval it is and how daunting it is once you get here. if I can help with finding out any info just let me know.

Hi

I arrive in Perth on the 15th January with my wife and kids (age 11 and 4). One question, have you got kids with you, if you have, how easy was it to find good schools. We obviosly don't know which area we will be living in yet, but Port Kennedy is one of the prefered areas we have requested on our application to the DHA.

Many thanks

Gary

Hi gary, we have an 11, 9 and 8 year old. My kids actually go to Warnbro Primary, as that was where our temp accommodation was when we first arrived. They love it there and it has been a good school, but they will be starting Living Waters independant school next year. Even though my 11 year old would have been going to high school in the uk, she's only just finishing year 5 Primary here in Oz. The schools around this area are all very similar. There is Charthouse Primary in waikiki, Safety Bay Primary in safety Bay, Secret harbour and Comet Bay in Secret Harbour and Port Kennedy and Endeavour Primary in Port Kennedy - so plenty to choose from. You have to live in the catchment area of the school that you send your children to. We looked at a few schools and some people do choose their house according to where they want their kids to go to school. You can go on the DET website to find out info about the schools but personally I would wait till you get here. All the schools will be closed for the summer hols when you arrive but their admin should be in the week before the new term starts if you want to look around a few. Feel free to ask any more questions and we'll hopefully be able to answer them. We have friends coming out on the 13th with the RAN, so looks like there'll be quite a crowd of new people arriving from the uk.

The kids all love it here. They all love being outdoors and there are lots of clubs and activities for them to go to. They have all made lots of friends and probably settled quicker than we did. Is your 19 year old going to uni or Tafe?

It seems that there are quite a few families coming out in Jan. The last group all came out on the same day and all stayed at the beachside apts in Rockingham. It was good for them to have other people in the same situation, we came ut on our own and literally had to find out everything ourselves. The first few weeks are hard work runnning around sorting out accomodation, cars and all the other bits and bobs. It's a nightmare not having the internet when you first arrive and internet places are few and far between around here. It's amazing how much you rely on the internet. My husband had to start work a few days after we arrived which was a nightmare so I was left to sort out all the niggly things like tax file numbers, medicare cards, driving licences etc. if you need any info about these just let me know? Are you joining submarines?

Take care and good luck with all the packing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesssssss Finally got case officer, They have a back log at immigration but have caught up quite a bit it seems. Booked our meds today so that's the christmas presents out of the window... LOL fingers crossed for a January Visa then all systems go with the Navy hopefully.

Hi,

We're due out in January as well...

The way it's going the RN will have nobody left in their fleet! lol

How have your children settled in? My 3 children are 19 and 9 (both girls) and a 7 year old cheeky monkey... sorry... I meant boy!

Liz

Well, the RN have just decided to try and screw me over big time, it appears that they have changed the rules and regs and are now trying to keep me ni for another 2 years, brilliant, just as I am entering the Visa stage.

I now have a compaint lodged against the navy and Im now looking at legal action, why is nothing ever easy over here!!!!!!!!

Dean

Guest guest25493

Dean,

Thats sounds bad mate, How can they do that once your notice is submitted there is nothing they can do. I have just had the opposite left RN today with a Leaving card and a Token picture from where i used to work in Drake. They have been great about the whole process and given me time off to get things done.

I do know that a High Ranking RN officer has been over to OZ to question the process butthat was some time ago.

Keep pushing for it mate, i know how many hoops there are to jump through etc, but The RNs loss is the RANs gain.

They never accepted my request to put my notice in, in fact they did nothing for 2 weeks whilst trying to find an area to keep me in with. Not sure why, as its not like Im that important to the mob, but hey ho. So much for keeping the crowd happy eh!!!!

Atleast I can put in my official complaint and see if they will see sense that they gave me the wrong advise!!!!

Yeah its a return of service for a course I completed, when I asked in March, there was an ooportunity to leave, then they closed the opportunity without putting any explanation or chances to change in. Apparently they can change things whenever they like. So Im now trying to explain to them that I have signed nothing and that it should not apply to me as they never explained the change and I could have left if the change had been explained.

Archived