transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest groovysun

Hi Meddy,

thank you for your response. You are right of course. The quality of life is much better there. Not to mention the weather difference lol And as you say RN is not getting aby better lately.

God I hope our medicals wont take that long! Hubby is due to go on patrol soon and then again soon after they come back so I think it will take us really long time before we get anything sorted.

Hi there,

My husband and I have finally made our minds up for him to apply for the ADF. He is a Submariner ME, so we're pretty sure it would be Perth for us.

Before we get on and start the ball rolling, a question:

"At what stage of the process do you stick your notice in?"

Presumably you can't wait until the visa is issued, as he has to give a one year notice to leave the RN. We're a bit concerned that on the ADF's details we have seen, about the joining up/emigrating process, it says:

Please note that your enlistment is subject to the granting of a migrant visa. Before a visa can be granted, nominees (including any family members whether applying or not) must meet certain legislative requirements, including health and character. It is only once you have satisfied immigration, security and Royal Australian Navy entry medical standards and accepted the indicative Terms of Service that your enlistment will be finalised; therefore, you are strongly advised not to commence any lifestyle changes until these matters are confirmed and you have your visa.

Please be advised that you should not submit your notice to separate from your current military service until you have accepted the indicative Terms of Service and advised by this office that your Labour Agreement nomination has been approved by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . So as you can see the process is a lengthy one and can take up to and over 12 months and entry is never guaranteed at any stage of the process.

Pretty sure there are no reasons why we wouldn't get a visa but it's a scary thought that he might give his notice in only to be turned down at the last minute and then be unable to retract his notice for the RN (apparently they are refusing to accept retraction of notice's more and more lately).

Also does anyone know whether the ADF are doing interviews here this year?

One of our other concerns is that we would have to get a 'declaration of consent' from my ex-husband, to allow us to take our two eldest children (we have 3 children; 11, 10 & 2) to live in Australia. Haven't even approached him on the subject yet but seeing as he has been backpacking around the world for the last 8 months (he has seen the children for 3 days in 8 months & has stopped paying any maintenance) and hasn't got a return flight to the UK until July this year; I don't think he could really have alot of say in the matter. He is currently living with a girl in Thailand and trying to get a job teaching English as a foreign language, so not sure he will ever really come back to the UK properly again, or see his kids reguarly again. Even if he says Yes, we have the problem of getting him to sign the form and have it witnessed by a solicitor. Would the Aussie authorities accept something witnessed by a Thai solicitor???

Really, really want to get started with it all now. Unfortunately my husband is going to be at sea for most of this year, off and on. We're just hoping to be able to get all the stuff we need to do/collate sorted each time he gets ashore. Not sure how easy it's going to be getting all the paperwork together too, as he has been moved from base to base a fair bit lately. Being a submariners wife though I'm good at dealing with a fair bit of stress! Lol

Thank you in anticipation of your reply.

Liz

Guest groovysun

Hi Liz, we have the same problem. My hubby is due to be away on both occasions for interviews. Last year he was sailing on the day of their interviews here in Scotland. We were told that this year it will be june, august and then january. Not sure it that helps!

If ARN accept my hubby he will put his notice in straight away. And we then have to pray that he does not fail his medicals etc.

We also heard that they allow you to take your notice back anymore. But thats apparently because they managed to take a lot of people on. But then lot of other sailors are handing their notices in too.

Fingers crossed for you that your ex-hubby will sign all the papers. Mind you if he wants to live in Thailand he will be closer to the kids there than here so it would be for his own good if you move down under :))))

Hi there,

My husband and I have finally made our minds up for him to apply for the ADF. He is a Submariner ME, so we're pretty sure it would be Perth for us.

Before we get on and start the ball rolling, a question:

"At what stage of the process do you stick your notice in?"

Presumably you can't wait until the visa is issued, as he has to give a one year notice to leave the RN. We're a bit concerned that on the ADF's details we have seen, about the joining up/emigrating process, it says:

Please note that your enlistment is subject to the granting of a migrant visa. Before a visa can be granted, nominees (including any family members whether applying or not) must meet certain legislative requirements, including health and character. It is only once you have satisfied immigration, security and Royal Australian Navy entry medical standards and accepted the indicative Terms of Service that your enlistment will be finalised; therefore, you are strongly advised not to commence any lifestyle changes until these matters are confirmed and you have your visa.

Please be advised that you should not submit your notice to separate from your current military service until you have accepted the indicative Terms of Service and advised by this office that your Labour Agreement nomination has been approved by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . So as you can see the process is a lengthy one and can take up to and over 12 months and entry is never guaranteed at any stage of the process.

Pretty sure there are no reasons why we wouldn't get a visa but it's a scary thought that he might give his notice in only to be turned down at the last minute and then be unable to retract his notice for the RN (apparently they are refusing to accept retraction of notice's more and more lately).

Also does anyone know whether the ADF are doing interviews here this year?

One of our other concerns is that we would have to get a 'declaration of consent' from my ex-husband, to allow us to take our two eldest children (we have 3 children; 11, 10 & 2) to live in Australia. Haven't even approached him on the subject yet but seeing as he has been backpacking around the world for the last 8 months (he has seen the children for 3 days in 8 months & has stopped paying any maintenance) and hasn't got a return flight to the UK until July this year; I don't think he could really have alot of say in the matter. He is currently living with a girl in Thailand and trying to get a job teaching English as a foreign language, so not sure he will ever really come back to the UK properly again, or see his kids reguarly again. Even if he says Yes, we have the problem of getting him to sign the form and have it witnessed by a solicitor. Would the Aussie authorities accept something witnessed by a Thai solicitor???

Really, really want to get started with it all now. Unfortunately my husband is going to be at sea for most of this year, off and on. We're just hoping to be able to get all the stuff we need to do/collate sorted each time he gets ashore. Not sure how easy it's going to be getting all the paperwork together too, as he has been moved from base to base a fair bit lately. Being a submariners wife though I'm good at dealing with a fair bit of stress! Lol

Thank you in anticipation of your reply.

Liz

Hi guys, For what it's worth, once you have sent your initial enquiry with the information they want, they will then send you a formal application pack (if they have vacancies for your branch / Rate) when the branch manager has been through this, if they want you they will send you your "Terms of Service" which spells out the Rate you go across as, the area you will go to and your pay grade. Once you have this, then is a good time to put your notice in. The immigration is quite straightforward and the meds is like doing "PULHEIMS". The whole process will take about 18months or so. There is plenty of info in this thread but if you want to know more then you can always PM me.

Chris

Guest shelliB

hi, weve just started the process to move from the RN to the RAN, my hubby is in the fleet air arm so think we would be looking at nowra just south of sydney. Just wondering if anyone has already moved there and can tell us a bit more about the place, married quaters, schools and so on. We have 2 children 18 months and 5 years old.

Guest Lisamarie
hi, weve just started the process to move from the RN to the RAN, my hubby is in the fleet air arm so think we would be looking at nowra just south of sydney. Just wondering if anyone has already moved there and can tell us a bit more about the place, married quaters, schools and so on. We have 2 children 18 months and 5 years old.

Hi here, we transferred 2 years ago to the RAN and spent 10 months in the Nowra area. For married quarters, North Nowra and Bomaderry are good and are both on the other side of the river from Nowra town. Worrigee has lots of new houses but you have to drive through the rough area to get to it. Married quarters are good but very cold on the winter nights so bring plenty of heaters. We were at Bomaderry but our children went to the village school in Cambewarra (about a 5 min drive) lovely school with a beautiful setting, really friendly and small. Shops in Nowra are rubbish, you have to drive to Shellharbour to get anything decent (about 40mins) beautiful beaches and countryside if you like that sort of thing. Great for surfing, fishing etc again if you are into that. Anything else you wish to know, feel free to PM me

We want to write to the RAN (submarines) today and request to begin the application process but are unsure of the how to go about it.

Do we write an email with husbands details, wish to apply, etc and send OR do we have to fill in an online form?

We must do this today as husband is sailing tomorrow for a couple of months! :wacko:

Thanks

Liz & Steve

i filled in the online form and had a quick response, but it wouldn't hurt to write as swell, from what i understand they are short of submariners.

We want to write to the RAN (submarines) today and request to begin the application process but are unsure of the how to go about it.

Do we write an email with husbands details, wish to apply, etc and send OR do we have to fill in an online form?

We must do this today as husband is sailing tomorrow for a couple of months! :wacko:

Thanks

Liz & Steve

Go on the RAN website and look for overseas applicants. It will tell you who to e-mail and also what info is required. Once you send this info it will prob take a couple of weeks or so before they tell you yes or no and send the formal application pack. Good luck.

Guest shelliB

hi liz, we went on the RAN site and completed the initial interest email in the evening and they replied within the hour sending an application form and requesting all the carrer/ qualifications info, write ups and so on.

Good luck

hi liz, we went on the RAN site and completed the initial interest email in the evening and they replied within the hour sending an application form and requesting all the carrer/ qualifications info, write ups and so on.

Good luck

Thanks Shelli,

We went on the RAN site last night and filled out the enquiry form and sent Steve's CV. Felt quite exciting to have finally got the ball rolling, after all the talking about it we've done.

We talked to our 10 yr old son yesterday too, who was initially upset but then soon warmed to the idea. So thankful that we have the nod from the children on moving so far away. My next job is the unenviable task of writing to my two eldest's father to tell him our plans and ask for his signature allowing us to take them. He is living in Thailand until at least July and we are unsure of his long term plans but are hoping that he wants to stay out there and then the kids will be nearer to him if we move to Australia.

Have had to say Goodbye to Steve this morning :sad: and we won't see now him until April. Ughhh, hate this lost feeling that comes when they go away.

Hopefully we'll get some sort of reply soon and I can email him with some good news.

Good Luck

Liz x

Guest lozamatt

Hello,

My Husband seems very keen about transferring fron RN to RAN but there is so much to think about. Is there anybody out there in the Plymouth area that is also thinking about it?

RAN are sending a team over to conduct interviews between April and May stopping at London, Glasgow, Portsmouth and Plymouth.

Just seems to be be moving all a bit quick and I cant make my mind up. Can anybody help?

Laura

Guest lozamatt

Hey Liz,

Just read your posts. Whereabouts in Plymouth are you. We are in Torpoint and my hubby is in the Submarines. We have 2 sons aged 1 and 3 but i'm finding it really hard to decide. Somebody told me you cant transfer if you are in debt? does anybody know if this is the case. We only have a small bank loan but I dont want that to get in the way.

Laura

Hey Liz,

Just read your posts. Whereabouts in Plymouth are you. We are in Torpoint and my hubby is in the Submarines. We have 2 sons aged 1 and 3 but i'm finding it really hard to decide. Somebody told me you cant transfer if you are in debt? does anybody know if this is the case. We only have a small bank loan but I dont want that to get in the way.

Laura

Hi Laura, we're up in Widewell, Plymouth. Steve is submarines.

We've got a daughter 11, a son 10 and another daughter 2. We are all keen to go. The six yrs return of service makes you stop and think a while but then the quality of life and the adventure would make up for it. We can't bear the thought of not trying it out while we have the chance. Both our eldest are very bright and at good schools (11 yr old girl is at Plymouth High for girls, 10 yr old son should defo pass his 11+ and get into Devonport for boys next year) and it's their education that worries us (family have said things like 'what about their schools?' 'are you sure you want to mess about with their education?') but if we wait until they have left school, then what? Uni? and then we'll be too old. We have to go while the children are still children. We want to enjoy them, have fun with them, teach the baby to swim in warm water, all go snorkelling, learn to surf, eat seafood off the BBQ, pick up my Scuba diving again (without a dry-suit and thick gloves), go on a camping trip to Margaret River and Esperance. We want the children and us to experience a wider world. All we're seeming to do in this country is work all hours God sends to pay the bills, run the car, heat the house and look forward to a 2 week holiday in Spain (well it's not really that bad but you get what I mean). Steve worked and drove all the way around Australia before he joined the Navy, the day I met him he said he wanted to go back one day. I've always wanted to go but never thought it would happen. The nearest I've been is Singapore, I flew out to see Steve when he ported there. . . we loved it. I really hope we get to show it to the children on our way to Australia.

We are not thinking of it as a 'forever' but as a 6 year adventure. If we all love it and don't want to come back, then we'll stay. But if after 6 yrs we're ready to come back to the UK, then we will and we'll crack on here in the knowledge that we gave it a good go, it didn't really work for us but the children and us can nip back there whenever we like because we'll all have Aussie passports! Also that 'what if' question will finally have been answered.

I have read loads of the other threads on PIO about people wanting to come home after 5 yrs of being there and the downsides of being so far from family. I'm aware of some of the negative aspects of going. I'll bet it'll be very hard and we'll be very homesick too. But it's a risk we're all willing to take.

And now I've just written all that, I'm still sure I definately want to go! Lol

Hope you can make a decision soon and move forward with some plans for your future. Actually that was one of the things that finally pushed us to make a decision - that if we stayed in the RN we wouldn't actually know what we would be doing in the future (drafts, etc) or where we would be living (Devon/Scotland) and if Steve left the RN would he get a job easily? What would the money be like? Would we have to move anyway to be nearer wherever the work was? We want to be able to at least make some plans and stick to them for a bit and hopefully have some fun too :biggrin:

Sorry to have waffled on, hope some of our reasons for wanting to go will help you.

Take care and Good Luck x

We received the application form & RAN details yesterday (2 days from w/end enquiry) and we've written back with the dates Steve will be available to be interviewed.

Unfortunately he's going to be at sea for a few weeks, so posting everything off will have to wait until March but this gives me some time to get the 'certified true copies' done of all of his certicates. And him to get all the other stuff from work that we haven't got yet.

Sorry for the tedious questions but. . . . . .

Does anyone have any details of a good solicitors (Plymouth area) or other that do 'certified true copies'?

The 2 X full length photos? Do you just take these yourselves? How big do the prints have to be? Uniform - 8's or No.1's?

Who did you get your personal and professional references from? Are there particular people these must be from?

Thanks in anticipation of some answers :notworthy:

Hope that helps... and good luck... it's a slow process... but it is so worth it at the end! We've been here for just under 4 weeks now and it's been by far the best move we've ever made!

Liz

Thank you so much for your answers to our questions.

It's also very reasuring to hear you say 'it's been by far the best move you've ever made'. Please keep us posted on how you get along, will be good to hear your experiences first hand :yes:

Best of Luck settling in x

We received the application form & RAN details yesterday (2 days from w/end enquiry) and we've written back with the dates Steve will be available to be interviewed.

Unfortunately he's going to be at sea for a few weeks, so posting everything off will have to wait until March but this gives me some time to get the 'certified true copies' done of all of his certicates. And him to get all the other stuff from work that we haven't got yet.

Sorry for the tedious questions but. . . . . .

Does anyone have any details of a good solicitors (Plymouth area) or other that do 'certified true copies'?

The 2 X full length photos? Do you just take these yourselves? How big do the prints have to be? Uniform - 8's or No.1's?

Who did you get your personal and professional references from? Are there particular people these must be from?

Thanks in anticipation of some answers :notworthy:

Don't go to a solicitor for your copies to be certified, if you know an officer / Police officer or MAA then they can all certify copies. I was on a capital ship and got the MO to certify all my original documents. It is also worth getting a stamp made up saying "certified true copy of original" and the date, this will save someone who is doing the certifying lots of arm and wrist ache, trust me there will be lots more certifying.........As I said, I used the MO onboard for the initial stuff, then the MAA for literally everything else as you will need to do birth certificates, marriage certs all your write ups (again) all the quals (again) and lots more. I also downloaded a programme called "primo PDF" on the internet for free, this allows you to scan the images into your computer then save them as a PDF file, I then e-mailed the info so they would work on it prior to the hard copies arriving. Terry George is very helpful, so just talk to him. I also send any info now by DHL (in Staples) for £30 but it only takes 3 days and you can track all the way. Used the post office twice and both times took about 3 weeks and can only track to going on the plane in London.

Took the photos ourselves, black trousers white shirt (is what I did) printed on standard 4x6 and no complaints.

Personal reference from civvy family friend (IT Manager at a company in Plympton) who we have known for about 14 years. Professional reference from Friend in RN who went SD and is now a Lt, but you could get your boss to do this. This just depends who you are telling.......... I wanted to keep things quiet until I had the official response....

Also, when it comes to certifying documents, there is an Australian LtCdr in FOST at the moment, Lt Cdr Graham, nice chap and will probably certify your docs for you, dig his number out and call to ask, the worst he can say is NO, but don't think he would.

Finally, I have been told to keep ALL my receipts as you can claim everything back when you get to Oz ?????

I am currently waiting for my visa to be issued and the waiting is painfull !!!!! There is lots of waiting in this process but I am told it is ultimately worth it !!!!!

Hope all this helps, Good Luck

Chris:biggrin:

Guest groovysun

Chris, thank you for your really helpful answers! It did shed some light on couple of things!

And now I can tell hubby I was right and he was wrong :wink:

Good luck with your visa! xxx

Guest groovysun

Liz, thank you for your lovely response and telling us how do you find it there! Its so nice to hear that you are having a great time and think it was all worth it!

Don't go to a solicitor for your copies to be certified, if you know an officer / Police officer or MAA then they can all certify copies. I was on a capital ship and got the MO to certify all my original documents. It is also worth getting a stamp made up saying "certified true copy of original" and the date, this will save someone who is doing the certifying lots of arm and wrist ache, trust me there will be lots more certifying.........As I said, I used the MO onboard for the initial stuff, then the MAA for literally everything else as you will need to do birth certificates, marriage certs all your write ups (again) all the quals (again) and lots more. I also downloaded a programme called "primo PDF" on the internet for free, this allows you to scan the images into your computer then save them as a PDF file, I then e-mailed the info so they would work on it prior to the hard copies arriving. Terry George is very helpful, so just talk to him. I also send any info now by DHL (in Staples) for £30 but it only takes 3 days and you can track all the way. Used the post office twice and both times took about 3 weeks and can only track to going on the plane in London.

Took the photos ourselves, black trousers white shirt (is what I did) printed on standard 4x6 and no complaints.

Personal reference from civvy family friend (IT Manager at a company in Plympton) who we have known for about 14 years. Professional reference from Friend in RN who went SD and is now a Lt, but you could get your boss to do this. This just depends who you are telling.......... I wanted to keep things quiet until I had the official response....

Also, when it comes to certifying documents, there is an Australian LtCdr in FOST at the moment, Lt Cdr Graham, nice chap and will probably certify your docs for you, dig his number out and call to ask, the worst he can say is NO, but don't think he would.

Finally, I have been told to keep ALL my receipts as you can claim everything back when you get to Oz ?????

I am currently waiting for my visa to be issued and the waiting is painfull !!!!! There is lots of waiting in this process but I am told it is ultimately worth it !!!!!

Hope all this helps, Good Luck

Chris:biggrin:

Wow, thanks Chris!

That lot will certainly give me a few jobs to do while Steve is away. I have all his certificates here and we are friends with a couple that are both Police Officers in Plymouth, so hopefully they will be able to certify everything for us.

Fingers crossed your visa comes very soon

Liz x

Hiya All,

Big thanks to General and Snowy. Like you Liz, i recieved all my medical forms and application pack, by email from Terry George in PDF format.

Its handy knowing all the tips. I booked my medical with the MO in Portsmouth and she got the wrong end of the stick, even though id booked a double period. I distinctly remember booking the appointment and asking for a "medical", instead they'd booked me in with the MO to "go through" my forms. It wasnt a complete waste of time, because i know now in which order to book my appointments.

I have had to book one appointment with the nurse for my blood tests. Then i have to book another appointment for my "prelims" which is just like the PULLEEMS i had last year. Then i have to book a civvy appointment with specsavers for my eyes testing. Then i have to rebook in with the MO who will check everything off and sign my forms. I have to see the dentist and a get a check up and then ask both sides to photocopy my docs for sending. Pain in the bum, but worth it i suppose.

Good luck to everyone doing the move. Will probabaly attend another interview in April, but take the missus this time.

One question though......where do i get my NBCD firefighting certificate from?

Meddy.

Archived