transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi Sophie we put in for Perth but didnt get it, we went to Perth 6 years ago and loved it , then when we got posted to Sydney bit of a kick in the face really i thoughht but saying that i love it here and would never go to Perth. We have family there so went to visit them not long after we got here, and it was not the same, i didnt like it and the kids hated it, but that all depends on the person,I love it. I had been to Sydney b4 so i knew what to expect, i was a bit scared and i think that is to be expected. If you get the chance come and see Sydney u can stay with us we will find the space just somthat u can see both sides i think u need to.

The life my kids have is so good here a lot bettere than what they would have had back there in Gosport.

I have friends that live in Perth and they love it there u might love it. I do know there are a lot of brits over there, houses r cheaper and its a lot hotter, but its not cold here.

We will talk about Schools later, M/Quarters and all the other stuff u need to know so much to take in at the mo, but i will say i love it here and will never move back to England . where do u live in Fareham by the way? we lived in Gosort for 16 years, hope that answers some of the things u want to know.

Sapeak soon and take care Anita

Thanks very much for the info once again! Happy anniversary to you, hope that you had a good one. We are thinking that we will come over in Oct now and visit Perth and Sydney, so will defo give you a shout when in Sydney if you don't mind.

We live in Seafield Park at the mo. I do like Fareham, but we feel excited about a change. Am sure I will have some more questions soon. Thanks once again. Sophie.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sophie

Nice to hear that u are going to come to Sydney,Im so glad I had seen both places, like i said ur more than welcome here, not got a big house but im sure we can sort something out if needed. I will send u my phone number near the time, and dont forget anything u need to know just ask. There will be things like medicals and other bits u will need to do, and because we lived in Gosport we can tell you the best ones to use.

Had a lovely day thanks

speak soon Anita

Guest madones

CornishSoph

Putting all the evidence together, i know who you are (not staking you honest). Get Adam to give me a shout (Paul M ex LUST). We are about a year ahead of you in the process, by your posts. Have a Job Offer and Labour agreement. Off to Sydney, for a recce 1 Apr. Then its notice, Visas and gone!

Can probably answer a few early questions. Are you seeing Terry when he is over next month?

For info they almost bite my arm off when I put the paperwork in...

Hi really sorry I thought that u where already over here, like i dsaid to spohie we have been here 15 months and love it here, i see that u are coming over in april if there is anything that we can help you with just ask. My husbands ship is now back in Sydney for the next few months, anyhing you would still like to know before you come her please just ask

A nita

Hi Liz figers crossed it will not take too long now, ur kids r at a good age. My kids where 13, 15 and 16, we hjave been here a year a nd they have settled into school and have lots of frinds. they spend most weekends in the winter doing sport, and then all year down the beach.

We live in the sutherland shire in Sydney it is really beautiful the beaches are on top of us.

If there is anything u would like to know just email, and i will help has much has i can.

Where is ur husband going to be based do u know?

Hope to hear from u

Anita

Guest groovysun
Hi all,

Well our application went off yesterday with DHL. I've just looked at the tracking of it and it's left Heathrow - so I presume it's in the air on a plane now! lol

And now the waiting begins . . . . .

Good news too - my ex has said he will sign a 'declaration of consent' to allow Steve and I to take our 2 eldest to live in Australia:biggrin: Thank goodness, means we don't have to go to court.

Great to read the adventures of everyone there already, really helpful thank you.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Liz x

Hi Liz,

will be keeping my fingers crossed that you will get positive reply! :) We will be posting our pack on Wednesday as I said!

I am so glad your ex husband agreed for you to take children with you! One big thing you don`t have to worry about! yay!

Speak to you soon! xx

Guest groovysun

Good not so sunny morning :)

Please have any of you heard anything about interviews here in April/May? We had an email from Terry asking us when it would be best but have not heard anything since! :/

Many thanks! xx

Guest groovysun

Thank you Anita :) We all received email giving us rough dates and we should say when it will be most suitable for us. But I don`t think any of us heard anything back. Well its still plenty of time as it should be end of April start of May.

Hello, don't worry about the stalker thing... thanks for getting in touch! Wow, no idea that you were on to this as well. Adam says that he will ring you on Monday, I expect he will be your new stalker now. Looking forward to catching up, and sure we will be asking you loads of questions! Sophie.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can remember how long it was after sending your initial application/trade cert's./ref's, etc. it was before you had some sort of reply?

We sent our application last month and had an email from RAN saying 'documentation received' (17/03/10) but haven't heard anything at all since.

Is this normal? Should we carry on waiting patiently or send an enquiring email?

Cheers

Liz and Steve

Hi Liz and Steve it can sometimes take ages, I know we waited a a while b4 we heard anything, at least you k now they have received all the stuff. I would send them an email in a few weeks time, if yoy still, have heard anything. Hope you hear something soon .

Anita and Dougie

Guest wannabeRAN

Hi

Im new to this site and stumbled across it by chance, i have just recieved my application form to join the RAN, On looking at the required dcuments i have noticed that they require Trade and Quals certificates, I am an AB(CIS) and i have not ever recieved any certificates for my AB1 course or any of my PJT's that i have done, so where do i stand on that?

Also if anyone has any CV tips, guidance on this whole thing would be great, i have read lots of previous posts to help but they all seem based on moving with a family, has anyone done it on there own? I am deployed at the moment so my research resources are limited to a slow PC, when i get back to the UK i will look towards the re settlement for some help, but until then any help would be great!!

Thanks

Craig

Guest Ironduke

Hi Craig, although new on here myself I've been following the subject for many months. My application is in, had the interview and completed the initial medicals.

Check JPA for all the courses you have done and print them off to prove you have completed them.

Get some time in with your D.O. and see if any certs are in your doc's. Ask fellow CIS's (RO's in old money) if they got certificates after their courses then it will just be a matter of getting Collingwood to reprint them. As long as the RAN want your branch you shouldn't have too many problems getting in, the interview is a bit like a civvi one so get the resettlement office to give you some info on how to do one, although if you haven't been in long enough you may not be entitled to any resettlement. Hope some of this helps - if an EDO visits while youre away (they often do to get their sea time in (and that will be their one and only sea job lol) then s/he should be able to help

Guest wannabeRAN
Hi Craig, although new on here myself I've been following the subject for many months. My application is in, had the interview and completed the initial medicals.

Check JPA for all the courses you have done and print them off to prove you have completed them.

Get some time in with your D.O. and see if any certs are in your doc's. Ask fellow CIS's (RO's in old money) if they got certificates after their courses then it will just be a matter of getting Collingwood to reprint them. As long as the RAN want your branch you shouldn't have too many problems getting in, the interview is a bit like a civvi one so get the resettlement office to give you some info on how to do one, although if you haven't been in long enough you may not be entitled to any resettlement. Hope some of this helps - if an EDO visits while youre away (they often do to get their sea time in (and that will be their one and only sea job lol) then s/he should be able to help

Hi Ironduke Good name, *know a few on there

did you have to put your notice in first before you sent your application? because i dont wanna put it in then them back heel me at the first hurdle and ill of burned all my bridges.

Yer as an AB ive only done 2's and 1's courses and pjt's which you dont get a certificate for, but i have loads of competencies on JPA.

Its a bit wierd because people say about medicals and presentations are these after the initial application?

also im away on deployment so getting things sorted are not easy at the min :mad:

Guest Ironduke
Hi Ironduke Good name, *know a few on there

did you have to put your notice in first before you sent your application? because i dont wanna put it in then them back heel me at the first hurdle and ill of burned all my bridges.

Yer as an AB ive only done 2's and 1's courses and pjt's which you dont get a certificate for, but i have loads of competencies on JPA.

Its a bit wierd because people say about medicals and presentations are these after the initial application?

also im away on deployment so getting things sorted are not easy at the min :mad:

No, never put your notice in first, they can pull the offer theoretically right up to last minute but usually when you get accepted and have a visa in your hand you are going.

Presentations are done in pompey, guzz and jockland routinely at certain times of the year, i never went to one, you can get all the info you want on here or check out ARRSE - the pongo's website and search for lateral 'transfer' the language is all pongo -ese but some very useful info on it. I must admit i've not heard of singlies applying but i guess you'd be whole lot cheaper to hire than us married lot - no wife and kids to fly out or loads of furniture etc. So the process should be you apply online via the RAN website - and it is a full application with stacks of info from you - if they are interested they'll ask for paper records etc, you then get an interview - i had mine in London - then its some initial medicals which you can get the sickbay to do for free, then its a job offer, then you appply for a visa the same as the civvies on here - the Oz navy has no say in your application. Hope this helps now get off the computer and let someone else have the bandwidth lol

Hi like u where told never put ur notice in untill u have ur visa in hand ur job in the RAN is not safe untill u have that, and the visa is nothing to do with the navy. Also the medcals u have cannot be done by the RN u have to go to the DRS they say there are a few that do it, and they vary in price. you will have xrays,blood test for a few things, if u have tatts u have a blood test for hep b and they charge u for that. YOU will also have to have am eye test they test you for a lot of thing. My husband is not small and did lose a few pounds before we went to see our Dr. You will get all ur money back for theses test when u get to Australia. If theres anything else you would like to know just ask, wish we had had something like this b4 we came here to OZ.

Anita

Guest wannabeRAN
No, never put your notice in first, they can pull the offer theoretically right up to last minute but usually when you get accepted and have a visa in your hand you are going.

Presentations are done in pompey, guzz and jockland routinely at certain times of the year, i never went to one, you can get all the info you want on here or check out ARRSE - the pongo's website and search for lateral 'transfer' the language is all pongo -ese but some very useful info on it. I must admit i've not heard of singlies applying but i guess you'd be whole lot cheaper to hire than us married lot - no wife and kids to fly out or loads of furniture etc. So the process should be you apply online via the RAN website - and it is a full application with stacks of info from you - if they are interested they'll ask for paper records etc, you then get an interview - i had mine in London - then its some initial medicals which you can get the sickbay to do for free, then its a job offer, then you appply for a visa the same as the civvies on here - the Oz navy has no say in your application. Hope this helps now get off the computer and let someone else have the bandwidth lol

ha ha what else am i going to do on watch fr the log first?

when did you or are you putting your notice in then? after u have ur visa?

Guest Ironduke

No shippers - my time is at an end (well in a couple of weeks) and I am now the proud owner of a badge that says i was in the navy.

Anita - happy with the medicals but for the purposes of applying to get in the RAN, the RN medical is fine, in fact its preferred because they gave me the Oz version of the medical forms to fill in so our navy doc got his head round it fine. I realise the immigration will want their own medicals and that i have to pay for them, im kinda hoping i dont have to repeat the blood tests (hate losing blood lol) they tested me for everything hep B and C and HIV and cholesterol, i kept the NHS certs.

Guest wannabeRAN
No shippers - my time is at an end (well in a couple of weeks) and I am now the proud owner of a badge that says i was in the navy.

Anita - happy with the medicals but for the purposes of applying to get in the RAN, the RN medical is fine, in fact its preferred because they gave me the Oz version of the medical forms to fill in so our navy doc got his head round it fine. I realise the immigration will want their own medicals and that i have to pay for them, im kinda hoping i dont have to repeat the blood tests (hate losing blood lol) they tested me for everything hep B and C and HIV and cholesterol, i kept the NHS certs.

cool beans i have an idea now, im not gonna put my notice in until i have my visa! then i can apply for early release if needs be!

Guest Ironduke

I was a bit suprised as well as i presumed they had been recruiting for some years and surely they must know what I do etc. but hard lines mate, time to google 'CV' and crack on, alternatively someone onboard must be near leaving so may have some cv's (there's more than one type) you can butcher. I think the notice will have to go in before the visa is granted though, because as soon as thats granted you go, so as a guide your notice needs to go in when you get a job offer. saying that though i hear the RN is happy to get rid of people at the moment with no suckbacks on notice giving etc, but its a gamble i wouldnt take

Guest wannabeRAN

just knocking up a cv now (thats what long mornings were designed for right?)

i think ive got to grips with when to stick my notice in now.

funny thing is i left the navy after 7 years then rejoined back up 2 years ago, should of just bit the bullet back then, id be there by now! but sayin that i was only 23 then

Guest Navydog21

Hello everyone. First post here

Ive been searching the web and i keep coming across this thread.

Im currently serving in the RN. Been in for 9 years. Im a wafu leading hand.

Really been thinking about transferring over to the RAN. Im currently married with a 9 month baby.

Just wondering where to start really. just wondering if any other wafu's have joined the RAN and what the timescales are like and if there is still a demand, i heard they werent excepting anyone in the aircraft engineering world

Any directions greatly appreciated

Archived