transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hiya All,

Big thanks to General and Snowy. Like you Liz, i recieved all my medical forms and application pack, by email from Terry George in PDF format.

Its handy knowing all the tips. I booked my medical with the MO in Portsmouth and she got the wrong end of the stick, even though id booked a double period. I distinctly remember booking the appointment and asking for a "medical", instead they'd booked me in with the MO to "go through" my forms. It wasnt a complete waste of time, because i know now in which order to book my appointments.

I have had to book one appointment with the nurse for my blood tests. Then i have to book another appointment for my "prelims" which is just like the PULLEEMS i had last year. Then i have to book a civvy appointment with specsavers for my eyes testing. Then i have to rebook in with the MO who will check everything off and sign my forms. I have to see the dentist and a get a check up and then ask both sides to photocopy my docs for sending. Pain in the bum, but worth it i suppose.

Good luck to everyone doing the move. Will probabaly attend another interview in April, but take the missus this time.

Meddy.

might see you there meddy if you go to the plymouth one

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hiya All,

Big thanks to General and Snowy. Like you Liz, i recieved all my medical forms and application pack, by email from Terry George in PDF format.

Its handy knowing all the tips. I booked my medical with the MO in Portsmouth and she got the wrong end of the stick, even though id booked a double period. I distinctly remember booking the appointment and asking for a "medical", instead they'd booked me in with the MO to "go through" my forms. It wasnt a complete waste of time, because i know now in which order to book my appointments.

I have had to book one appointment with the nurse for my blood tests. Then i have to book another appointment for my "prelims" which is just like the PULLEEMS i had last year. Then i have to book a civvy appointment with specsavers for my eyes testing. Then i have to rebook in with the MO who will check everything off and sign my forms. I have to see the dentist and a get a check up and then ask both sides to photocopy my docs for sending. Pain in the bum, but worth it i suppose.

Good luck to everyone doing the move. Will probabaly attend another interview in April, but take the missus this time.

One question though......where do i get my NBCD firefighting certificate from?

Meddy.

You should be able to use your latest ISSC certificate for your NBCD firefighting :jiggy:

Guest guest25493

Hi snowy and all, well we are here in Sydney now, we have a huge 4/5 bedroom house, with a massive garden. Hubby is a t Watson now, but he has just gone to cerebus to do a sucking egg course. It looks like he will be joining a ship in August. So what do you all think of Australia?

we have settled in well now, we had a major problem with hubby getting his gratuity from the RN, basically, they messed up and lost his details. Alot of late calls to the uk, and eventually they paid up. Quite a stressful time, we needed to buy a new car etc.When is your sea freight due? Ours arrives on 22 feb, then it has to clear customs. So cannot wait for that to arrive.

Well, we think Australia is an amazing place, and everyone is so friendly.Love all the malls.

info for newbies coming over soon...just a few handy things to know)

Petrol is cheap here, but they make their money in other ways, when you buy a car, you then have to go and register and transfer ownership yourself , and this costs 3% of what you paid for the car. In NSW, you have to do a NSW version tax. You must also get compulsory 3rd party insurance along side your regular insurance. Driving licence, you have 3 months to change over, and you pay for a licence which last 1,3 or 5 years.

well take care everybody,, and if anyone is ever in sydney, send us a pm.

t:jiggy:

You should be able to use your latest ISSC certificate for your NBCD firefighting :jiggy:

bloody ISSC. Does that mean i have to get one done soon. I aint got a bleeding ISSC certificate in my docs!

Only just sorting my Prelims out.

Good luck with ya move.

Meddy

bloody ISSC. Does that mean i have to get one done soon. I aint got a bleeding ISSC certificate in my docs!

Only just sorting my Prelims out.

Good luck with ya move.

Meddy

If you are in date for ISSC, you should be able to print your course date off JPA. If not then not too sure. Phoenix may well be able to give you another cert if you are in date?????

Guest ponym110

Hi guys

came over 18 months ago. unless something as changed the RAN just want proof you've done some kind of basic NBCD course. It doesn't have to be in date. You will have to do the Advanced CS(Combat surviviability) at some point anyway after arrival.

It isn't exactly that advanced, and is probably halfway between BSSC and ISSC but with written exams. Don't worry but some of the drills and equipment are different to the RN so well worth doing. Highlights of the course are the hour session on RN location markings and Chemical training. The RAN don't have citadels, issue gas masks or do any further chemical training unless you go to the gulf. Any ex- foster wreckers coming over just be prepared to bite your tongue for 2 weeks. They have improved there battle damage simulators but if you've done the drui recently you'll get bored. The water is nice and warm, although the aussies on course with us didn't seem to think so. They gave up trying to soak the pommies after we asked for soap and shampoo.

all the best

We are suddenly having serious doubts. . . . . not about Australia but about joining the RAN Submarines. We've just been on Wikipedia and had a read all about construction, crew (serious lack of), women submariners, Aussie crew being paid $35,000 to stay in, etc, etc and this has sounded loud alarm bells with us. Really not sure about being signed in for 6 years and it being a hideous nightmare. Also cannot find any info on length of deployments? Apparently between 2009 and 2010 they only had enough personnel to run one submarine!?

Are there any submariners in the RAN out there that can give us some info about what it's really like? Thanks

Guest AndyandBabs

There are numerous mentions of interviews in April, is the Aussie Navy interviewing then? If so, does anyone have any details?

Thanks

Fantastic news about your visa and flights Chris, bet you're so excited :biggrin:

Hi Andy and Babs, we did the online enquiry form (on RAN website) and within a couple of days we had an application form and details emailed back to us. We were also told the RAN are sending a team over to conduct interviews in Glasgow, London, Portsmouth and Plymouth between end of April and beginning of May. We had to tell them when we are available (so they can organise their dates for where they are needed and when) and are still awaiting an interview date. Just about to send all our application/certificates off. So think you'll need to apply online to enable you to get an interview. They encourage family members to attend too, so you can all see what it's about.

Good Luck :smile:

Hello,

Don't know if there is anybody out there that can help me. We are planning to move to Oz, my husband is doing just starting the application process to transfer. Was after some information about the RAN from anybody more in the know.

My hubby is a Weapons engineer officer (surface ships) over here and is hoping to transfer at the same rank etc. From my point of view I wanted to know, how often do you get re-posted and move on the job? Also where would he be most likely to be posted considering his job specification? I know these may seem like random questions, but would be grateful of any help or suggestions!

Thank you. Soph.

Hi we have been here 15 months now and love it the navy pays for everything theres a few things u pay for upfront but u do get it all back, it took us 2 years from start to finish, and it was all worth it, the schools r a bit different to English schools but i have 3 teenagers 14, 16 and 17 and they made friends right away and they r loving it never see them they r down the beach all the time.

My husband was a cpo et had to drop a rank when he came out here everyone does, he did 23 years in the RN, the navy is the navy wherever u go, the life style is just great and i wouldnt change it for the world, we live in sydney on the south coast 5 mins from the beach, i would recommend it to everyone. Anything u would like to know just ask, husband is a pompey rating by the way, Anita

Hi Meddy bit new to this but we have been in Sydney for 15 months and love it here we have 3 teenage kids that have all settled in well, if u need any advice just ask, there is so much to do and sometimes trying to get ur head round it all can be a pain, but well worth it in the end.

Like i said anything at all just ask Anita

Hi Sophie We moved here from Gosport 15 months ago. my husband was cpo mea had to drop a rank everyone we know has to drop a rank,but the money is pretty good anyway.

U wanted know about moving around when u get here, my husband,s been told we will be based in Sydney for the next 5 years and we r happy with that has the kids will all have finshed school by then.

It took us about 2 years to do everything i have known people to do it in 12 months. The navy pay for everything apart from paying for ur animals, they used to pay 600 dollars but they have stopped that now.There is so much to do but it does make the time go by a lot quicker.

They also pay for u to fly buisnes class its great and put u up someone where really nice. There r a few courses that your husband will have to do, but its there navy and not the RN, we love it so much and im so glads that we did it. Anything u need to know please just ask, hope it all goes well for u, Anita and Dougie

Hiya Anita,

Thanks for the reply, great to know that other people have done what we are doing sucessfully as it is a big move! We have been informed by Terry George that the postings are pretty much Perth or Sydney. Have you been to Perth? We have decided just from research that maybe we would like to try Perth, we're planning to go out there in Oct. Another quick question, how much do you pay for the quarters a month? Sorry, so many questions my head is spinning. We haven't even got on to schools yet.... we have 4 children 5 and under! Thanks once again for your reply, hope that you are enjoying the sunshine, yet another grey day here in lee on solent!

Sophie.

Hi all,

Well our application went off yesterday with DHL. I've just looked at the tracking of it and it's left Heathrow - so I presume it's in the air on a plane now! lol

And now the waiting begins . . . . .

Good news too - my ex has said he will sign a 'declaration of consent' to allow Steve and I to take our 2 eldest to live in Australia:biggrin: Thank goodness, means we don't have to go to court.

Great to read the adventures of everyone there already, really helpful thank you.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Liz x

Hi Sophie we put in for Perth but didnt get it, we went to Perth 6 years ago and loved it , then when we got posted to Sydney bit of a kick in the face really i thoughht but saying that i love it here and would never go to Perth. We have family there so went to visit them not long after we got here, and it was not the same, i didnt like it and the kids hated it, but that all depends on the person,I love it. I had been to Sydney b4 so i knew what to expect, i was a bit scared and i think that is to be expected. If you get the chance come and see Sydney u can stay with us we will find the space just somthat u can see both sides i think u need to.

The life my kids have is so good here a lot bettere than what they would have had back there in Gosport.

I have friends that live in Perth and they love it there u might love it. I do know there are a lot of brits over there, houses r cheaper and its a lot hotter, but its not cold here.

We will talk about Schools later, M/Quarters and all the other stuff u need to know so much to take in at the mo, but i will say i love it here and will never move back to England . where do u live in Fareham by the way? we lived in Gosort for 16 years, hope that answers some of the things u want to know.

Sapeak soon and take care Anita

Archived