transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Is anybody else getting impatient now i sent off our visa applications on the 7th july and when i track it it just says passed for delivery in australia BOOOOOO, and i would have thought that they would have taken the payment by now. How long does it take for them to inform you they have it (or do they even inform you)

OMG im starting to panic now what if it has been lost in the post and i have to do the whole lot again, im not even sure what it is we are meant to do next AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ironduke

'Do you know when you have to hand your ID card back? Does it have to be at the end date of terminal leave or can you hand it back during that terminal leave period? How long is terminal leave?'

Steve, terminal leave for those completing full service is 28 days and you hand in your ID card just before you go on terminal leave. The exact date is negotiated between you and a Leading Writer, sorry LOGS, usually once you have your leaving routine stamped so should be the week before you go on leave. You get to pick which base you finish your service in, if you're not local to one then think about one near courses you may want to do. Don't sack them off because you have the RAN in sight, life has a funny way of changing your plans so a back up is always wise, beside they are free!

You can't start work for the RAN on terminal leave because you technically still in the RN until your TX date. Its up to you on the notice giving but if they are that short of submariners you have every chance of sucking back if it all goes wrong.

Cheers

Steve, terminal leave for those completing full service is 28 days and you hand in your ID card just before you go on terminal leave. The exact date is negotiated between you and a Leading Writer, sorry LOGS, usually once you have your leaving routine stamped so should be the week before you go on leave. You get to pick which base you finish your service in, if you're not local to one then think about one near courses you may want to do. Don't sack them off because you have the RAN in sight, life has a funny way of changing your plans so a back up is always wise, beside they are free!

You can't start work for the RAN on terminal leave because you technically still in the RN until your TX date. Its up to you on the notice giving but if they are that short of submariners you have every chance of sucking back if it all goes wrong.

Cheers

Thanks for that. I manned up yesterday and put my notice in on JPA before I read your post lol. Off to sea tonight on deployment and will tell my DO when I get onboard.

On my RAN application I put a start date of August 2011 and will be done with RN by end July 2011. Will just have to hope the RAN accept my application, if not like you say I think RN are just as desperate as RAN for submariners. Sometimes you just have to trust your instincts on such matters.

Cheers

Steve

ooohhhh well done steve on putting your notice in yay, my steve put his in about 3 weeks ago now woohoo however they were quick enough to put him on half submarine pay b******s lol oh well

p.s tell liz to get on facebook i wanna talk to her

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hi, I have read through thread and noticed a quite few submariners here saying the RAN is short of submariners i was just wondering what branches. I have sent an expression of interest to george terry but havent heard anything back yet. I am CPO ET WESM by the way. Any advice would greatly be received especially on the amount of sea time thier boats do and seashore ratio. many thanks gav

Hi, I have read through thread and noticed a quite few submariners here saying the RAN is short of submarminers i was just wondering what branches. I have sent an expression of interest to george terry but havent heard anything back yet. I am CPO ET WESM by the way. Any advice would greatly be received especially on the amount of sea time thier boats do and seashore ratio. many thanks gav

Hi Gav,

Welcome to Poms in Oz and this RN/RAN thread. Nice to see another submariner on here. Congratulations on reading the whole thread - I too read all of the 36 pages :eek: and have found everyone and their experiences very helpful and honest.

Not really sure what trades are most needed with the RAN but there is a list of required trades on their website (foreign applications bit). Terry George should get back to you pretty quick, think we only waited a couple of days before we got a reply. Usually they seem to tell people straight away if the branch they are in is not required.

This year the RAN postponed their UK information meeting dates (they were meant to be May time), so most of the info we have got has been from the people on this site, that have been there and done it. Will be able to tell you more when/if we get a TOS.

Good Luck, hope you hear back from TG soon:biggrin:

Liz

Guest Ironduke

Just in, a labour agreement at last! It happened after I contacted the London Embassy with an email enquiry asking for a progress report - a week later and here it is, now for the next stage: Visa fun

Hi dont panic yet it took 4 months for ours to turn up, and u will get it through email, U can phone them we got the number from Terri George i think, but they wont tell u to much, they did tell us was dealing with our case, but could not tell us if we had been approved, but said afew things to make us believe we had got the visa which did put our minds at rest. I think if you hadnt got it u would have heard by now.

Doug and i didnt sleep past 4.30 everyday for 4 months just waiting for the email. Its hard to say dont stress I know I have been there, but it will turn up.

Hopefully speak soon and u will have had good news

Anita and Dougie

Just in, a labour agreement at last! It happened after I contacted the London Embassy with an email enquiry asking for a progress report - a week later and here it is, now for the next stage: Visa fun

YAY.. CONGRATULATION:jiggy:now all you have to do is the visas hehe you must be well excited, remember to send your visa off with DHL (then you can track it all the way) and do your 1221 and form 80 so they dont have to ask you for anything else, \then you just have to wait, however i did hear a few people didnt wait any longer that 2 weeks from when they submitted their visa application to getting an answer :jiggy:

Guest Ironduke

Wow two weeks? Thats a lot faster than I thought. We haven't done medicals yet, the letter says to use a board doctor but I seem to remember friends choosing their own nearer home - any thoughts on that?

ooohhh you used to be able to have it done in the nuffield but immigration clamped down on the people who could do it now it HAS to be a panel dr, do you live in plymouth? i know the nearsest one to here is maidenhead and their is 2 or 3 in london one up near birmingham but it need to be done by one of them listed you can find a list of them on the immigration website, depending on how many kids you have its not that expensive really for me my OH and the 3 kids it cost about 700, if you send your police checks off now they will be back in 10 days

good luck

Yahoo!! :jiggy:Great news! Glad you received it at LONG last. Good Luck with your visa stuff.

We're still waiting for a job offer, should be by the end of August, fingers crossed.

Liz x

Wow two weeks? Thats a lot faster than I thought. We haven't done medicals yet, the letter says to use a board doctor but I seem to remember friends choosing their own nearer home - any thoughts on that?

Hi I just spoke to my husband and he said if you go on to the immigration webb site they will give you a list of Drs in your area, we used one in southampton he deals with a lot of navy people, I think hes from Australia but lived in the uk years.

He was really nice a nd put s at ease.

All we can remember was he was called Peter, I hope theres not many drs called peter in S:biggrin:uthampton

Ok so a quick question

When your visa goes off and you get the answer, how do you get it, is it an e-mail, a letter, a certificate, i only ask because my hubby says im expecting some sort of marching band with fireworks and party poppers (im not im happy with an exploding envalope with hundreds of confetti in) lol im not really i would just like to know how they tell you if its a yes :biggrin: or a no:no:

Ok so a quick question

When your visa goes off and you get the answer, how do you get it, is it an e-mail, a letter, a certificate, i only ask because my hubby says im expecting some sort of marching band with fireworks and party poppers (im not im happy with an exploding envalope with hundreds of confetti in) lol im not really i would just like to know how they tell you if its a yes :biggrin: or a no:no:

You get it by email, then u send ur passport off and then they put it in there for you,

You can get ur own party poppers when u get it though with some nice bubbly x:v_SPIN:

oh god i hope so my oh is a submariner so fingers crossed we get perth, could you transfer to perth or are you settled their now, and a quick question for you when you submitted your visa application how long did it take for them to get back to you, ive heard some people say 2 weeks and others say up to 5 months x

Guest drh123

My mate flew out in June and his only took 4 weeks from sending it off.

GUYS - do not forget to fill out FORM 1221 - its a newish form and isnt on all of the lists.

The list of PANEL DOCTORS has been stripped down adn is being rebuilt again, so I would keep an eye on the list as it may grow.

I had an email last week from immigration asking for the medical forms, however, it takes the docs time, so if I were you I would make the booking of them the priority over the forms!!! Just saves time.

All sorted now though and the meds were successful, heres hoping for a speedy successful response. Oh and we now have a second viewing on the house in its first 5 days on the market, woohoo - double fingers crossed!!!

DH

Where is everybody

Dean dont worry your visa will be here soon

Iron Duke hows thing going with the application are you done yet, i serioulsy could not believe how quick it was i was sure it would be at least 1 - 2 months but not exactly 7 days from them recieveing the application to it being approved.

Liz i hope you got the sitter and the little black dress sorted for friday night im soooooo looking forward to lots of cocktails and shots

Archived