Mrs

Caz01

Hi, we are moving over from the uk to the Gold Coast next May 2025 but our daughter will be 16 then and left school permanently. If we had stayed she would have gone onto study for her A Levels . Will she be too old to go to school in Gold Coast and where will she need to go to get her qualifications to gain entry into University?

hope someone can help. 

She should be able to join a school in Year 11 and do the last 2 years. I feel it’s a pretty bad time to move a child from an educational point of view though. An international school might be a better option.

• Like 1

She could look at doing years 11 and 12 at TAFE (the cohort there may not be the most academic/enthusiastic though) but, honestly, I'd be leaving her to board with family or friends and finish her A levels in UK then she's left the door wide open to do Uni in either UK or Australia. As long as she pops over to validate her visa she loses nothing.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

She could look at doing years 11 and 12 at TAFE (the cohort there may not be the most academic/enthusiastic though) but, honestly, I'd be leaving her to board with family or friends and finish her A levels in UK then she's left the door wide open to do Uni in either UK or Australia. As long as she pops over to validate her visa she loses nothing.   

Except two years with her family!!

My daughter came over at 16, did a couple of months of year 10, then 11 and 12. She's now just finished a double degree so she was fine. 

PS. You don't do A levels in the UK, just parts of it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, welljock said:

My daughter came over at 16, did a couple of months of year 10, then 11 and 12. She's now just finished a double degree so she was fine. 

PS. You don't do A levels in the UK, just parts of it.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence? The UK still does A Levels. 

I actually think Quoll's suggestion is a valid one and worth considering. The girl could travel to Australia during school holidays if she wanted to. Speaking as one who went into digs at 16 while doing my A Levels and never lived at home again due to a family move, it was the best time of my life, and the best decision I ever made.

• Like 1

The two different school systems do not line up neatly.   Whereas in the UK A-levels are taken in years 12 and 13, the Australian school ends at year 12 and Aussie kids going to university do so in what would be year 13 in the UK (the final year of A-levels).     

Transitioning to an Australian school after GCSE straight into year 12 is probably going to be quite challenging as the foundations of the syllabus are laid out in year 11 and that syllabus is different to the UK.   Purely from an academic perspective, the best time to move her is after A-levels.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I actually think Quoll's suggestion is a valid one and worth considering. The girl could travel to Australia during school holidays if she wanted to. Speaking as one who went into digs at 16 while doing my A Levels and never lived at home again due to a family move, it was the best time of my life, and the best decision I ever made.

A levels are being scrapped in the UK.

23 hours ago, welljock said:

During my years as an expat, our youngest went to school in England, while the older 2 were in university.  
Honestly it’s the last thing I would recommend to leave a child in England for schooling away from family unless there is no option. in our case there was no schooling available after age 14.  The amount of times I had to cope with problems long distance were very difficult, and emotional, and I was in the lucky situation that I could fly back very cheaply, and had a house there. We missed so much precious time with our daughter during those year’s spending most of the year apart, our sons were much older and established at university, so wasn’t as hard for them.
If staying at a local school, who will they live with full time and take responsibility for them? should have a guardian under a certain age. If at boarding school who will they stay with at half terms and be responsible for making the arrangements for their long haul flights. 
Factor in the cost of the emotional side to lack of family and support at a vulnerable age.  
the cost of fares at peak holiday times, and how confident is the child travelling long distance on their own.  
What’s more important? UK exams, or moving to Australia and being with your family, and entering the schooling system here.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The UK doesn't, England and Wales do, Scotland doesn't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parley said:

A levels are being scrapped in the UK.

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has announced that A Levels and T Levels are being scrapped and will be integrated into a new baccalaureate style. 

4 hours ago, Toots said:

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has announced that A Levels and T Levels are being scrapped and will be integrated into a new baccalaureate style. 

Has labour said they will follow through, as I doubt the Tories will be in long enough to carry this out?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Toots said:

oh excellent, thats me out of a job then.