Family move to Brisbane in april

Simontucks

Morning/evening all!

We are planning our move to the outskirts of Brisbane (Kenmore/bellbowrie area) in April having been granted our residency visas last June. We are a family of four with my wife and I 48 and two daughters aged 16 and 12.

I have family in the area(brother and his family) which we have visited many times and have decided it's were we'd like to settle.

Due to my brother's contacts work is not going to be a problem,I'm a decorator of 30 yrs experience and my wife works in council housing department.

Having sold our home and taking into consideration all costings of getting there including our dogs we will be taking $300.000 savings looking to the future and deposit for a house once able to buy.

Could somebody advise on the situation involving colleges there?my eldest wants to go down the hairdressing/beauty route but we don't know where to start and I don't really want to keep asking my brother to look into things for us,god knows I'm asking him enough already 😂.

I had no worries regarding the move apart from the obvious missing family here in the UK and really can't wait to get away from a country in such a mess.....until I started reading threads on here!.it seems the majority are sorry they moved to Australia or that they want to move back to the UK🤷🏻‍♂️ ,I can't quite get over this as living in the UK I'm struggling to find many good things about it at the moment and I really don't see a future here for my girls.

If there's anybody in the area we are planning on moving to I'd be more than grateful to have a chat regarding a few things 

I have lots more questions I'm afraid but will spare you all of them in one go 😫🤯

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

I had no worries regarding the move apart from the obvious missing family here in the UK

The thing is, missing family and familiar culture is a massive thing for some people.   Some people miss home so much, they'd rather live in poverty where they belong, than live in comfort somewhere alien.  

I wouldn't say the majority of people regret their move, by any means.  I would say, it's normal for most human beings to feel very connected to the country and culture they grew up in.  That's why most people never migrate!   But that still leaves a sizeable minority of people, like me (and maybe like you), who are able to move to a new country and adopt it as their own, and never look back.  Those people probably never feel the need to come to these forums for help, so that's why you get a distorted view. 

Congrats on getting a visa at your age, it's not an easy task.  Is it a permanent visa or are you just moving for an adventure?

• Like 1

School finishes at age 17 but the final 2 years are the most important to complete year 12. In general she will still be in high school, colleges aren't universal across all states. However, there are little bonuses if she does decide to do yrs 11&12 (and it's better to do that) - some schools have the capacity for kids in the last 2 years to begin their apprenticeships whilst at school - so they do a day I in a salon and the rest of their time at school. That then reduces their apprenticeship in TAFE.  Alternatively she may be able to do yr 12 at TAFE and then continue with an apprenticeship. Check out TAFE for the area you plan to live in for apprenticeship options. She will need to find her own salon iirc

April isn't a great time of year to be starting yr 11/12 so it's there any chance you could send her out to stay with your family in January so she can start yr 11 at the end of Jan? 

This is all assuming you have a permanent resident visa - apprenticeships aren't available for temporary residents and TAFE courses would be at international student rates.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Simontucks said:

Morning/evening all!

We are planning our move to the outskirts of Brisbane (Kenmore/bellbowrie area) in April having been granted our residency visas last June. We are a family of four with my wife and I 48 and two daughters aged 16 and 12.

I have family in the area(brother and his family) which we have visited many times and have decided it's were we'd like to settle.

Due to my brother's contacts work is not going to be a problem,I'm a decorator of 30 yrs experience and my wife works in council housing department.

Having sold our home and taking into consideration all costings of getting there including our dogs we will be taking $300.000 savings looking to the future and deposit for a house once able to buy.

Could somebody advise on the situation involving colleges there?my eldest wants to go down the hairdressing/beauty route but we don't know where to start and I don't really want to keep asking my brother to look into things for us,god knows I'm asking him enough already 😂.

I had no worries regarding the move apart from the obvious missing family here in the UK and really can't wait to get away from a country in such a mess.....until I started reading threads on here!.it seems the majority are sorry they moved to Australia or that they want to move back to the UK🤷🏻‍♂️ ,I can't quite get over this as living in the UK I'm struggling to find many good things about it at the moment and I really don't see a future here for my girls.

If there's anybody in the area we are planning on moving to I'd be more than grateful to have a chat regarding a few things 

I have lots more questions I'm afraid but will spare you all of them in one go 😫🤯

Do you seriously believe the vast majority of successful migrants are posting on ex-pat forums like this?  They don’t even know they exist…

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

School finishes at age 17 but the final 2 years are the most important to complete year 12. In general she will still be in high school, colleges aren't universal across all states. However, there are little bonuses if she does decide to do yrs 11&12 (and it's better to do that) - some schools have the capacity for kids in the last 2 years to begin their apprenticeships whilst at school - so they do a day I in a salon and the rest of their time at school. That then reduces their apprenticeship in TAFE.  Alternatively she may be able to do yr 12 at TAFE and then continue with an apprenticeship. Check out TAFE for the area you plan to live in for apprenticeship options. She will need to find her own salon iirc

April isn't a great time of year to be starting yr 11/12 so it's there any chance you could send her out to stay with your family in January so she can start yr 11 at the end of Jan? 

This is all assuming you have a permanent resident visa - apprenticeships aren't available for temporary residents and TAFE courses would be at international student rates.

She will be 17 at the beginning of May so with us moving at the end of April would she be classed as past school age?

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The thing is, missing family and familiar culture is a massive thing for some people.   Some people miss home so much, they'd rather live in poverty where they belong, than live in comfort somewhere alien.  

I wouldn't say the majority of people regret their move, by any means.  I would say, it's normal for most human beings to feel very connected to the country and culture they grew up in.  That's why most people never migrate!   But that still leaves a sizeable minority of people, like me (and maybe like you), who are able to move to a new country and adopt it as their own, and never look back.  Those people probably never feel the need to come to these forums for help, so that's why you get a distorted view. 

Congrats on getting a visa at your age, it's not an easy task.  Is it a permanent visa or are you just moving for an adventure?

It's a residency visa👍.I hadn't thought of it that way.i suppose many who have settled do not need to use the forums anymore as you suggested 

2 hours ago, Simontucks said:

It's a residency visa👍.I hadn't thought of it that way.i suppose many who have settled do not need to use the forums anymore as you suggested 

Yes, but is it a Permanent Resident visa (eg 189 or 190) or  Temporary Resident visa (eg 482)?

I'm one of those who came home and is finally happy again here after 20 years in Oz. I have one couple who are friends who would love to come home but now have grandchildren in Oz, I reckon the majority of my other British friends there are happily settled and would only come home on holiday.

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 2

155 residency return visa.we came 20 years ago but had to return home due to family problems in the uk after a very short period.it was that short I don't really count it.so now it's for real,we are all onboard and really want it to work out.we know all about the housing problems and expense of things as I was out in April for a month visiting.

We really want our girls to grow up in Aus,the opportunities to give them a better way of lifestyle and a brighter future is all we want.

Obviously we are so excited regarding it all but,also very realistic when we know it's going to be tough at times

1 hour ago, Simontucks said:

155 residency return visa.we came 20 years ago but had to return home due to family problems in the uk after a very short period.it was that short I don't really count it.so now it's for real,we are all onboard and really want it to work out.we know all about the housing problems and expense of things as I was out in April for a month visiting.

We really want our girls to grow up in Aus,the opportunities to give them a better way of lifestyle and a brighter future is all we want.

Obviously we are so excited regarding it all but,also very realistic when we know it's going to be tough at times

You did well on the RRV(s). Out of interest, what visas did you get for the children?

11 hours ago, Simontucks said:

She will be 17 at the beginning of May so with us moving at the end of April would she be classed as past school age?

She will be OK to go to TAFE but she would still be wise to do year 12 there, before trying to get an apprenticeship. Even though she doesn't want to go to Uni, employers will still ask for her year 12 results. She's going to be too old to go into year 11 at school really. 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Simontucks said:

Hope they aren't disappointed by the high levels of youth unemployment, mental health disorders and virtual impossible house prices. It's just another first world country and a small pond at that. Different lifestyle possibly - not inherently better and first world opportunities is all.

14 hours ago, Simontucks said:

Morning/evening all!

Reference being happy in Australia., and I am only speaking for my family and friends.

Our son and wife celebrated their 10th wedding anniversary yesterday with a lovely party for family and friends. Between us we have emigrated from either Africa. in 1980, or from  the UK since the early early 2000’s. We range in age from our  early 80’s down to teenagers and toddlers.

Not one of us has regretted the move, from my cousins who migrated in their 40’s from Africa and made  a good life here, whose children have grown up as Australians, with successful careers . My husband and me who retired here, plus  two of our children followed us here in their 30’s, and  friends of my son who came with their parents in their teens. 

It hasn’t always been an easy journey, but no one has any intention of leaving, who knows where any of  the children will end up, but that’s in the future, in the meantime Australia is their home and they have a pretty good life.

Will add, there were plenty of friends there who are long time Australians, it was a lovely mix of people all enjoying being together .

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Yes, but is it a Permanent Resident visa (eg 189 or 190) or  Temporary Resident visa (eg 482)?

I'm one of those who came home and is finally happy again here after 20 years in Oz. I have one couple who are friends who would love to come home but now have grandchildren in Oz, I reckon the majority of my other British friends there are happily settled and would only come home on holiday.

I'm one of the old timers here.  Like some of your friends I would only go back to the UK for a holiday.  I only have my sister in the UK now and as she looks forward to coming here for 3 months holiday every year I just don't have that urge to go back to the UK at all anymore.  

Just  been speaking to my sister and she says the weather is wet and miserable where she is so I was able to tell her it is pouring with rain here too.  😁 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Simontucks said:

She is legally able to leave school, but bear in mind that the education system is different here.  Over 80% of Australian children stay at the same school all the way through to Year 12 and get their HSC.  Obviously, that means if your daughter doesn't have her HSC, then she's going to be disadvantaged in the employment market compared to Australians, even if she gets a trade qualification.  Australian employers don't recognise GCSEs because there is no equivalent here.

I'm sure your daughter won't be keen to 'go back to school' so it might be better for her to do her HSC at TAFE.

https://tafeqld.edu.au/campaigns/do-year-11-and-12-differently

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

She is legally able to leave school, but bear in mind that the education system is different here.  Over 80% of Australian children stay at the same school all the way through to Year 12 and get their HSC.  Obviously, that means if your daughter doesn't have her HSC, then she's going to be disadvantaged in the employment market compared to Australians, even if she gets a trade qualification.  Australian employers don't recognise GCSEs because there is no equivalent here.

I'm sure your daughter won't be keen to 'go back to school' so it might be better for her to do her HSC at TAFE.

https://tafeqld.edu.au/campaigns/do-year-11-and-12-differently

Thank you so much for the info👍

9 hours ago, ramot said:

Reference being happy in Australia., and I am only speaking for my family and friends.

Our son and wife celebrated their 10th wedding anniversary yesterday with a lovely party for family and friends. Between us we have emigrated from either Africa. in 1980, or from  the UK since the early early 2000’s. We range in age from our  early 80’s down to teenagers and toddlers.

Not one of us has regretted the move, from my cousins who migrated in their 40’s from Africa and made  a good life here, whose children have grown up as Australians, with successful careers . My husband and me who retired here, plus  two of our children followed us here in their 30’s, and  friends of my son who came with their parents in their teens. 

It hasn’t always been an easy journey, but no one has any intention of leaving, who knows where any of  the children will end up, but that’s in the future, in the meantime Australia is their home and they have a pretty good life.

Will add, there were plenty of friends there who are long time Australians, it was a lovely mix of people all enjoying being together .

So nice to here a success story like yours,thank you for telling me 👍

11 hours ago, Quoll said:

Hope they aren't disappointed by the high levels of youth unemployment, mental health disorders and virtual impossible house prices. It's just another first world country and a small pond at that. Different lifestyle possibly - not inherently better and first world opportunities is all.

Believe me,it is nowhere near as bad as here for the youngsters.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'll throw in our story for happy and successful migrants. Many happy migrants stop posting on here so you tend to get a lot more bias towards those who return. I've continued because i have a very boring job and lots of online time! 😉

I was also a failed migrant in the past so i know what both feels like. Worst mistake I made in the past was assuming Australia would solve all my problems and be utopia - it isn;t perfect

Housing costs is going to be a challenge, i think everyone needs to be aware of that they're are some amazing and inspirational places to live but that's where everyone wants to live and the prices reflect that

• Like 6

4 hours ago, can1983 said:

I'll throw in our story for happy and successful migrants. Many happy migrants stop posting on here so you tend to get a lot more bias towards those who return. I've continued because i have a very boring job and lots of online time! 😉

That's better than me.  I just like to be nosey and keep count of how many others have become disenchanted with Blighty and decided to hop to Oz since things started going insane about 10 years ago.

Although it's nice to occasionally chime in with a nice bit of helpful advice if I ever can.

I do have to very (genuinely) respectfully disagree with you on amazing and inspirational places costing a fortune.  The Clare valley is a great example of an amazing and inspirational place to live.  But for a lot of folk who can't work remotely, that part of South Australia just won't have the same realistic feasibility as the Big Smokes.  Some damned cracking properties out there for pennies, though...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2023 at 21:10, Simontucks said:

Your daughter would be past compulsory school age but not past the compulsory participation phase, meaning she'd need to be either earning or learning.

If she's 17 next May she'd start school about halfway through Year 11. She would be able to complete three semesters by the end of Year 12 and should be able to obtain her QCE (Queensland Certificate of Education), which will stand her in good stead for the future. She will also have the opportunity to establish new friendships which will help with her transition to Australian life, attend the formal and graduate from high school, which most Australian schools make quite an event of.

However, if she's one of those kids who can't wait to leave school then starting TAFE earlier would make sense. As others have said, it's possible for students to attend TAFE whilst still at school, and certificate courses count towards students obtaining their QCE so that's a good option. Here's some information about the different pathways available...

https://education.qld.gov.au/schools-educators/other-education/home-education/senior-secondary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

Your daughter would be past compulsory school age but not past the compulsory participation phase, meaning she'd need to be either earning or learning.

If she's 17 next May she'd start school about halfway through Year 11. She would be able to complete three semesters by the end of Year 12 and should be able to obtain her QCE (Queensland Certificate of Education), which will stand her in good stead for the future. She will also have the opportunity to establish new friendships which will help with her transition to Australian life, attend the formal and graduate from high school, which most Australian schools make quite an event of.

However, if she's one of those kids who can't wait to leave school then starting TAFE earlier would make sense. As others have said, it's possible for students to attend TAFE whilst still at school, and certificate courses count towards students obtaining their QCE so that's a good option. Here's some information about the different pathways available...

https://education.qld.gov.au/schools-educators/other-education/home-education/senior-secondary

Thank you so much for the reply.As much as I disagree with her she really doesn't want to stay in school so we will have to look at the TAFE ,although with her wanting to go down the hair and beauty route I really don't know where to start.lots more investigating to be done I think 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simontucks said:

Thank you so much for the reply.As much as I disagree with her she really doesn't want to stay in school so we will have to look at the TAFE ,although with her wanting to go down the hair and beauty route I really don't know where to start.lots more investigating to be done I think 👍

It's a tough one because I take it she just wants to jump straight into an apprenticeship for hair or beauty.  She will be able to do that (see below) but the harsh fact is that if she doesn't get her QCE, she'll be judged for evermore as being 'not bright enough to even get her QCE", even if she has her hairdressing/beauty qualifications.  So if you can possibly persuade her to do the QCE at TAFE first, it would make a huge difference.  If she won't even consider it, here's your alternative:

https://tafeqld.edu.au/courses/study-areas/service-industries/hair-and-beauty/hairdressing-and-barbering

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2