Family move to Brisbane in april

Simontucks

8 hours ago, Simontucks said:

Thank you so much for the reply.As much as I disagree with her she really doesn't want to stay in school so we will have to look at the TAFE ,although with her wanting to go down the hair and beauty route I really don't know where to start.lots more investigating to be done I think 👍

Speaking as someone who loathed school, barely attended and left with a couple of grade c’s, one was English literature o level, I liked reading and did it a year early. The other was a commerce gcse. Failed the rest, really, all D’s which no one counts.

I would look at the tafe course and be done with it. I am generally unclear what being forced to do my gcse’s actually achieved.

I left school at 16 and have worked one way or another, every day since. She isn’t saying she wants to sit in her room, smoking a bong all day, she is motivated to learn a skill/trade. If she can tack on some maths or English or something that might be useful.

When I decided to do my nursing, I did a 1 academic year access to higher education course due to the lack of GCSE’s, there’s probably something similar in Australia for adults if she had a change of heart later, I would imagine but don’t know.

I actively encouraged my son into TAFE but he followed a hard science route and now has a master’s degree and a shed load of debt, that due to inflation is now higher than when he qualified 3 years ago. Apart from entering university, no one has ever asked for my school exam results.

Good luck to her, whatever she chooses to do! 🙃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Speaking as someone who loathed school, barely attended and left with a couple of grade c’s, one was English literature o level, I liked reading and did it a year early. The other was a commerce gcse. Failed the rest, really, all D’s which no one counts.

I would look at the tafe course and be done with it. I am generally unclear what being forced to do my gcse’s actually achieved.

I left school at 16 and have worked one way or another, every day since. She isn’t saying she wants to sit in her room, smoking a bong all day, she is motivated to learn a skill/trade. If she can tack on some maths or English or something that might be useful.

When I decided to do my nursing, I did a 1 academic year access to higher education course due to the lack of GCSE’s, there’s probably something similar in Australia for adults if she had a change of heart later, I would imagine but don’t know.

I actively encouraged my son into TAFE but he followed a hard science route and now has a master’s degree and a shed load of debt, that due to inflation is now higher than when he qualified 3 years ago. Apart from entering university, no one has ever asked for my school exam results.

Good luck to her, whatever she chooses to do! 🙃

Thank you so much.i do think we are heading down the TAFE route with her as she really is adamant she just wants to do her hair and beauty 🤷🏻‍♂️.I've been pulling my hair out for the last few months regarding it believe me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simontucks said:

Thank you so much.i do think we are heading down the TAFE route with her as she really is adamant she just wants to do her hair and beauty 🤷🏻‍♂️.I've been pulling my hair out for the last few months regarding it believe me

I can imagine! You worry so much about the right/wrong decision with them, thinking that their entire future rests on what you decide now, but things usually work out one way or another. Can be expensive mistakes sometimes but rarely much worse and usually fixable, just a more meandering route. 
Pick your battles, she sounds like she knows her own mind! Obviously that mind might change later, but that will be another discussion! 
Try to not pull all of your hair out, she’ll need someone to practice on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Simontucks said:

I don't know if this will help, but I was talking to one of my dance class ladies and she managed to persuade her daughter to stay on and do her VCE (Victorian equivalent of the QCE) by agreeing to send her on a short beauty course, the idea being that she could then do a Saturday job and earn while she's studying.

She did a lash extension course which was very expensive, but her daughter is now doing lash extensions from home on Saturdays and Sundays.  She's having to turn clients away, mainly because she charges less than the salons.  Even so, she's making about $100 an hour.

https://islashboutique.com/collections/eyelash-extension-courses-brisbane

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I don't know if this will help, but I was talking to one of my dance class ladies and she managed to persuade her daughter to stay on and do her VCE (Victorian equivalent of the QCE) by agreeing to send her on a short beauty course, the idea being that she could then do a Saturday job and earn while she's studying.

She did a lash extension course which was very expensive, but her daughter is now doing lash extensions from home on Saturdays and Sundays.  She's having to turn clients away, mainly because she charges less than the salons.  Even so, she's making about $100 an hour.

Dunno if I'd say the courses are that expensive if that's the kind of cash she's pulling in after the fact, and as a weekend gig, at that!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

Dunno if I'd say the courses are that expensive if that's the kind of cash she's pulling in after the fact, and as a weekend gig, at that!

From what she tells me, her daughter has to work hard for the money, because lash extensions are extremely fiddly and need a lot of concentration (which is why lash technicians are able to charge so much).  Not a bad earner though!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

From what she tells me, her daughter has to work hard for the money, because lash extensions are extremely fiddly and need a lot of concentration (which is why lash technicians are able to charge so much).  Not a bad earner though!

A very good earner, indeed.  I can think of plenty of professionals who would kill to make that sort of cash.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That's an idea!.I think dad has to try and use his persuasive charm a little more,I don't hold much hope though lol.id be quite happy for her to do it this way

• Like 2