The truth on Perth?!

TheBs

23 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Good luck. It’s really tough out there to be honest and most rentals are going higher than advertised rates. Not a question of getting one in area you want- more of getting one at all. Maybe get your family to look for you before you come (if it’s you that has family here) 

Bound to get one at some point though even if we have to stay with friends longer than anticipated. If you have to pay a little more it is what it is. What else are we supposed to do? Cancel our flight, not move at all as we might not be able to find a rental straight away? I've seen plenty of people move over recently and secure properties, albeit after a few attempts. You're just going to have to compromise, house a bit smaller, further out etc. until the time is right.

Biggest worry atm is actually getting on the flight there. Luckily we are in a position where the only thing that effects us is time and nothing else but it is boring just sitting around waiting to go. 

On 31/08/2021 at 14:52, TheBs said:

Thank you everyone, I can see it is still quite a split opinion. 

I'm not from a big city and for me any kind of concert day out is an overnight stay.

I'm from a quiet coastal town, where the pubs still shut at 11pm, so by the sounds of it I think the lack of hustle and bustle won't be an issue, we love the beach and bike rides, and country walks, doesn't need to hilly.

Theres drug issues everywhere in the world I suppose, though meth isn't an issue in the UK I don't think 🤔 it's more cocaine.

In my area there is a big issue with child trafficking and gangs using children as drug mules, there's no job prospects being a seaside town, unless you're prepared to commute, you're waiting for the next person to retire to fill their shoes.

I guess we won't know till we're there, but with two kids in tow, you just want it to be right, not necessarily perfect but right enough, to warrant leaving the UK, and not up-haul again to go to a different state.

My family live in Joondalup, obviously they love it and have been there 20+ years, so I just wondered what an "outsiders" perspective was. 

Wouldn’t you consider another city or town in the UK prior to moving to Australia?

On 31/08/2021 at 02:16, Marisawright said:

One of the things I often hear is that there's a kind of British ghetto in some Perth suburbs--a bit like the British ghettos in Spain, where people have left the UK but live in a little British bubble and have no interest in belonging to the country they've moved to.   

This reminded me of a guy I used to know  who moved to one of the Perth suburbs popular with Brits.  He told lots of people back home about his amazing life yet seemed to do little but sit in his house watching back to back episodes of Eastenders.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Craig Colas said:

Any others you would recommend or have good knowledge about @Paul1Perth? Our flight out there is in November, staying with friends for a month while we get set up. Daughter will start school in January as well. She's had a year and half here so far but will be first year over there, she's only 5. We are looking North of the river Hillary's upwards. Commute doesn't matter to me as I will be FIFO as well most of the time. Wife is a nurse but will be agency for a while so not attached to one place and not working loads either so commute not too important. Just looking for a quiet area, good for kids with good schools, close'ish to the beach. 

Renting for a few years first, then once settled and have PR. It's the 491 Visa we have. Plan on then selling our UK house and buying here but wanted to rent in an area where we would look to buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Take a look at Mullaloo, Ocean Reef, Mindarie, Clarkson, Quinns, Burns Beach.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

This reminded me of a guy I used to know  who moved to one of the Perth suburbs popular with Brits.  He told lots of people back home about his amazing life yet seemed to do little but sit in his house watching back to back episodes of Eastenders.  

I haven't watched any of the soaps for years, so hopefully we'll be good 🤣

13 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Name some?

Perth is 150 kms long and I believe 50ms in width. You don' t seriously expect to me to give a list of suburbs among this urban sprawl? What would be far easier would be to give a list more contrary to that. Now I'm t saying such an outcome will be of importance to everyone but it is what it is. Perth remains one of the most car dependent urban sprawls in the world  , rather more than its fair share of dormitory suburbs . These may well have generally empty green spaces but equally empty streets. By usual definition some may term 'soulless ' that of an eye for such things. But like I say, not all will care as many will prefer peace and quiet and hope that the chosen neighbourhood lives up to expectations. 

21 hours ago, Toots said:

Tasmania is still part of Australia but it may as well be a different country.  It's not a big place - about the size of Switzerland and varies a lot depending where you are so I totally get what @Marisawright means.  Economics, climate etc here very different to other parts of Australia.

But then Switzerland differs in its three official languages , various cantons (like states) in such a small area, as you rightly mentioned, and cultural diversity depending if German, French or Italian. Not forgetting many times more migrants which add to that diversity. 

Surely economics differ in much of Australia, depending on region, if rural or city based, then the particular suburb being mentioned. (they vary considerably in economic scope )From my limited knowledge of Tasmania though, it has outside of property prices, done it somewhat hard in most other areas economically in most locations?

9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t know if it’s true or not but a real estate agent told us the rental market has been cooling slightly, particularly townhouses and apartments closer to the city. Northern suburbs do seem to be popular just now but they could always look for something more compact and central and use it to enjoy/get to know the city and explore preferred suburbs to the north. Then look to move to that suburb when the lease ends and the market has possible eased off a bit.

I think a fair few people will leave Perth when the borders eventually open, whether that’s FIFO workers no longer staying in WA to avoid closed borders or people desperate to travel overseas and/or move back to UK etc be closer to family again.

I hope so. My daughters rental house has been sold and she’s been given 60 days to vacate. They cannot find another suitable property at a reasonable price. They’re at risk of homelessness and do not have the funds to compete with those offering $150 a week I’ve the advertised price. She’s also unwilling to live in a leaking hovel as the owner of the house she’s in now suggests they should look at anything and everything. They were given 1st refusal on a dump that it was criminal to charge rent for. 

With 2 kids, a dog and a job to travel to they can’t go too far out from where they already are and need a certain type of home at least with some outdoor space. Not to mention limited budget. Worrying times. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, TheBs said:

We are looking at a similar route, and have discussed going over to a fixed term job, and then once over apply for the PR. 

@TheBs, be very, very careful about taking that option.  You're talking about a 482 (temporary) visa.   Contrary to popular myth, you cannot just transition to PR at the end of the 482 visa. All you get is the possibility that you might be allowed to apply for PR at the end of the 482.   Lots of people either find they're not eligible when the time comes, or they don't get invited. Then they have no alternative but to up sticks and go back to the UK.  It's a very expensive adventure.

The confusion arises because the 482 is a fairly new visa. With the previous temporary visa (457), it was more common for people to succeed in staying--although you can still find many sad stories on these forums, of people whose dreams didn't work out. 

You may not be aware that before Covid, there was a glut of nurses in some states, and nurses were finding it hard to get a visa for Australia at all.  Covid has turned that on its head, and nurses are on the priority list now.  So if you really want to move to Australia, the time to apply is now.  Remember, once you're granted the visa, you've got 5 years to make the final move (normally you'd have to make a flying visit to activate the visa but that's not necessary during Covid).  

The great majority of migrants move to Australia without a job to go to. 

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

But then Switzerland differs in its three official languages , various cantons (like states) in such a small area, as you rightly mentioned, and cultural diversity depending if German, French or Italian. Not forgetting many times more migrants which add to that diversity. 

Surely economics differ in much of Australia, depending on region, if rural or city based, then the particular suburb being mentioned. (they vary considerably in economic scope )From my limited knowledge of Tasmania though, it has outside of property prices, done it somewhat hard in most other areas economically in most locations?

The only reason I mentioned Switzerland was SIZE.  No other comparison to Switzerland except size.  Lived in Switzerland for a year.  It was a long time ago and have to say I prefer Tassie!  Of all the places I've lived, Switzerland was the only place I found boring.  I was in the French speaking part but preferred the German area.  Maybe that's why I felt unsettled.

Tassie has its problems.  No doubt about that but I have a good social life and everything I need isn't far away.  Needless to say I don't like cities and crowds.  People who enjoy a buzz and a vibe (like yourself) would hate it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I worked with one of those in my IT days.  He didn’t stop whingeing about being bored, but all he wanted to do was go to a pub a talk about ‘you know what.  Many offered to take him to events and stuff you can’t do in Blighty to no avail.  3 months later he resigned and went back.  Why do they come here in the first place?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Craig Colas said:

Bound to get one at some point though even if we have to stay with friends longer than anticipated. If you have to pay a little more it is what it is. What else are we supposed to do? Cancel our flight, not move at all as we might not be able to find a rental straight away? I've seen plenty of people move over recently and secure properties, albeit after a few attempts. You're just going to have to compromise, house a bit smaller, further out etc. until the time is right.

Biggest worry atm is actually getting on the flight there. Luckily we are in a position where the only thing that effects us is time and nothing else but it is boring just sitting around waiting to go. 

My niece recently rented a property. There were 100 other applications. She only got it as she currently rents from that agent. It's not easy getting a rental atm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I hope so. My daughters rental house has been sold and she’s been given 60 days to vacate. They cannot find another suitable property at a reasonable price. They’re at risk of homelessness and do not have the funds to compete with those offering $150 a week I’ve the advertised price. She’s also unwilling to live in a leaking hovel as the owner of the house she’s in now suggests they should look at anything and everything. They were given 1st refusal on a dump that it was criminal to charge rent for. 

With 2 kids, a dog and a job to travel to they can’t go too far out from where they already are and need a certain type of home at least with some outdoor space. Not to mention limited budget. Worrying times. 

Sorry to hear that HH, it must be very stressful for her. Is she able to be flexible with areas or do the kids tie her into a school/suburb? A poor temporary option could be airbnb - many owners are struggling to fill their accommodation and might accept a long-term stay (3-6 months). Its not ideal, and weekly 'rent' will be higher, but there would be no utility costs and may be a stop gap until she is able to find a longer term option. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

A poor temporary option could be airbnb - many owners are struggling to fill their accommodation and might accept a long-term stay (3-6 months). Its not ideal, and weekly 'rent' will be higher,

Not necessarily.  Here in Melbourne, some AirBnB's and holiday lets are currently the same price as long-term rentals, they are so desperate for tenants.  Can't hurt to try.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Sorry to hear that HH, it must be very stressful for her. Is she able to be flexible with areas or do the kids tie her into a school/suburb? A poor temporary option could be airbnb - many owners are struggling to fill their accommodation and might accept a long-term stay (3-6 months). Its not ideal, and weekly 'rent' will be higher, but there would be no utility costs and may be a stop gap until she is able to find a longer term option. 

That’s something to look into, thanks. She doesn’t want to take oldest out of his current school if at all possible as he’s only just started in kindy and loving it. Plus they are a short distance from us and our support. However they have cast the net wider as a necessary thing. 
If worst comes to worst they can dig heels in and stay till end of lease (Feb) but the sale is conditional on existing tenants moving out in 60 days. The owners agent is getting quite pushy and short with them. Can see his commission flying out the window. There’s just nothing out there for them. Keeping everything crossed and there’s our spare room and caravan too but as you can imagine she’s not thrilled at that prospect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

My niece recently rented a property. There were 100 other applications. She only got it as she currently rents from that agent. It's not easy getting a rental atm.

My daughter says they are seeing the same people at the home opens. Easily 40 at each and each property has more than 20 applications. They found a perfect place we thought would be theirs. It went for $150 a week more than advertised and advertised price was already inflated. 

34 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

That’s something to look into, thanks. She doesn’t want to take oldest out of his current school if at all possible as he’s only just started in kindy and loving it. Plus they are a short distance from us and our support. However they have cast the net wider as a necessary thing. 
If worst comes to worst they can dig heels in and stay till end of lease (Feb) but the sale is conditional on existing tenants moving out in 60 days. The owners agent is getting quite pushy and short with them. Can see his commission flying out the window. There’s just nothing out there for them. Keeping everything crossed and there’s our spare room and caravan too but as you can imagine she’s not thrilled at that prospect. 

Tell them you want to stay.

If the new owner is going to rent it out then they might be able to stay on anyway ongoing.

Plan B - she can move back home with Mum?

Edited by Parley

3 hours ago, Toots said:

The only reason I mentioned Switzerland was SIZE.  No other comparison to Switzerland except size.  Lived in Switzerland for a year.  It was a long time ago and have to say I prefer Tassie!  Of all the places I've lived, Switzerland was the only place I found boring.  I was in the French speaking part but preferred the German area.  Maybe that's why I felt unsettled.

Tassie has its problems.  No doubt about that but I have a good social life and everything I need isn't far away.  Needless to say I don't like cities and crowds.  People who enjoy a buzz and a vibe (like yourself) would hate it.

But CH is as you rightly point out a very small country. Very close to a host of more 'exciting' countries, if too boring. I must admit have only very scant knowledge and never been to Geneva, but as you say the German speaking area I wouldn't have minded qualifying for the Swiss pension if stayed on. But anyway, staying close to the frontier with Germany , we would drive into CH to fill the tank up. Cheaper than Germany but other things costed more.

Probably right. Tasmania has little pull factor for me. Hard to believe Hobart has become the steepest house price increase city in Australia. But where ever you find your niche is the right place in the end. 

4 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Red hot but not sure why. There is very limited immigration. I have witnessed huge queues, like a few years back in my street as well. What I've noticed though, is both private rent viewing as well as sales seemed to be the key at least in my area. Begs the question why go through with the Home Open then? (I spoke with a couple who were definately interested but didn't get a look in at the end of the day) 

Another house down the road was offered way over the asking amount. But not sure if my area is typical in the overall run of things. 

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

But CH is as you rightly point out a very small country. Very close to a host of more 'exciting' countries, if too boring. I must admit have only very scant knowledge and never been to Geneva, but as you say the German speaking area I wouldn't have minded qualifying for the Swiss pension if stayed on. But anyway, staying close to the frontier with Germany , we would drive into CH to fill the tank up. Cheaper than Germany but other things costed more.

Probably right. Tasmania has little pull factor for me. Hard to believe Hobart has become the steepest house price increase city in Australia. But where ever you find your niche is the right place in the end. 

According to a report there has been a significant pick-up in Tasmania's population growth, particularly with younger families, and there has not been enough new construction to satisfy the rise in demand.  As a result, prices have grown strongly throughout the state.  Tasmania's economic performance has also been stronger in the last 5 years than the last 25.

Even some of the mining towns, where you wouldn't live unless you were a miner, are very popular with investors as rental returns are so good.  Where last year 10% of property was sold to interstate and overseas buyers, now that's looking more like 30-40 per cent.

5 hours ago, Toots said:

I know of someone who moved to Switzerland a few years ago and said the same as you. They said whilst it’s beautiful it’s also very boring.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Spare room and storage may be the better option. These things can change quickly, and it might be completely different in six months time.

37 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I know of someone who moved to Switzerland a few years ago and said the same as you. They said whilst it’s beautiful it’s also very boring.  

I made two friends when I was there.  One was from Munich and the other was from New York.

Switzerland has been named one of the most unfriendly places according to a survey of expats around the world.  Three in ten people surveyed believe the Swiss are unfriendly towards foreigners.  

I was there long ago in the dim and distant past and the night life was dire then.  My friends and I used to nip over the border at weekends into Germany for some fun.

17 minutes ago, Toots said:

I made two friends when I was there.  One was from Munich and the other was from New York.

Switzerland has been named one of the most unfriendly places according to a survey of expats around the world.  Three in ten people surveyed believe the Swiss are unfriendly towards foreigners.  

I was there long ago in the dim and distant past and the night life was dire then.  My friends and I used to nip over the border at weekends into Germany for some fun.

I don't think the OP is thinking of moving there so probably not very relevant ?