The truth on Perth?!

TheBs

14 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I had to Google "Irish pub Subiaco" and see there is place called "Fenway" which I don't remember but looks familiar.

Rosie O'Gradies? I stayed on the same street near the WA Peeler HQ, nice aparthotel and I went to that pub a few times for dinner. I didn't mind Northbridge though I was down the quiet(er) end. I've always been used to living walking distance from the CBD so I liked Northbridge. 

Looking back on my two trips - 7 weeks and 5 weeks I think - they were a sort of template for getting to know a place.  The first trip I spent 6 weeks in South Perth in 2 aparthotels, one on Melville Pde and the other on the Esplanade, and a week in Margaret River. On the second trip I had 2 weeks in an airbnb in Applecross, a week in Northbridge,  a week east to York, then south to Albany, and a week in South Perth. 

I remember sitting in my car having checked out of one place and thinking "Scarborough? Fremantle?" Scarborough being where I used to swim in 1978 when I lived in Newcastle St and got bus there,  and Fremantle reminding me of inner city Sydney suburbs with its old homes.

The second trip was a "reality check" in that on the first trip I was in holiday mode thinking "I love it here and I want to stay" whilst on second trip I was thinking "I still like it but do I want to 'emigrate' here and move away from my family and friends?"

I still liked it as a place; the isolation part is irrelevant to me and I like the lack of crowds and seven day, all day rush hour that is Sydney.  I actually enjoyed driving in Perth whereas I'm Sydney it's something to endure to get from A to B. It's just I did not want to uproot myself again having done it four times, from Southampton to Sydney and back twice.

Fair enough. You at least had a taste of Perth and tried a few different parts. Funny, I lived on Melville Beach Road for two and a half years in Applecross. Don't know Fenway in Subiaco. Wonder what it was before? Yep. Newcastle Street was the YHA where back packers stayed at the time. Only two hostels I believe at the time, as was just before the Backpacking market developed into what it became. In fact people termed themselves 'travellers' those days and something of an alternative set. 

I'd suggest there appears no burning desire or need to move to Perth, so why uproot from East Coast. Not like Perth would offer something lacking over there, apart from less people and perhaps traffic. Although the drivers are said to be worst over here. I suspect Sydney remains the best place with your range of interests as well as being set up there and living inner city. No idea about Sunshine Coast. Hear mixed reports. But a family from Sydney we know moved up there about two years ago. He has since had to move back to Sydney for work, so not a raging success. But nice house, which would have been unaffordable in Sydney. 

• Like 1

On 08/09/2021 at 18:14, Marisawright said:

But that's my point.    Some people like to save up all year for one big holiday overseas.   If you're in Perth that's a good idea, because everywhere is a 3, 4 or 5 hour flight away - plus you're probably going overseas, so you've got to get to the airport much earlier, more security etc.   So obviously, you want to go for one long stay.   Whereas if you can hop on a plane and be somewhere in a couple of hours, you can easily have a few breaks over the year instead of having to save it all  up for one big splurge.   

I'd suggest the option of Bali is far more tempting to many than going East, due to low cost flight and destination. Everywhere in Australia is expensive , before the distance is even taken into account. 

16 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Police are reactive. Lots of incidents go under the radar in NorthBridge. It is only usually after a death or serious injury that it comes to light. Hence the same reaction here in Perth as in certain UK city centres. The general public tend to be wary going to such places late at night. It really matters not if that is Perth, or Manchester or Glasgow. The perceptions of unsafety are there . For those living there it is the same.

You'd be crazy not to be "street aware" in any City or even small town in the UK. Where I grew up, Chesterfield, was really bad for trouble, makes you aware of stuff before it kicks off. Something that seemed to be lacking in my eldest when he was growing up, him and mates didn't used to go out till 10:00 and come back early morning. Clubs used to shut at 2:00 when I was young.

24 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

You'd be crazy not to be "street aware" in any City or even small town in the UK. Where I grew up, Chesterfield, was really bad for trouble, makes you aware of stuff before it kicks off. Something that seemed to be lacking in my eldest when he was growing up, him and mates didn't used to go out till 10:00 and come back early morning. Clubs used to shut at 2:00 when I was young.

Comes more naturally in UK cities I guess. It wasn't long ago when some thought crime was almost non existent in Perth. Naivety brought about I guess by the nature of getting around.  Mostly all auto related and little street contact. Break in's and car theft being the most common consensus on crime last century. I do recall though an elderly lady enticing crowds in protest against crime on the elderly in about 96. It took off for a time. So it was gaining awareness even back then. 

15 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I Googled both the Iluka Tavern and Iluka suburb then Iluka homes for sale  - some nice looking homes around 800k. A one bedroom flat, nicer than mine ie nice as refurbished   with garage and balcony but no courtyard which I have  - sold at auction for $805,000.

You can't really compare the two but my home near Southampton,  3 bedrooms, front and rear gardens,  garage, detached, is worth maybe £350 000 - just had an increased offer which I wasn't expecting , must check soon to see if it's going through.

I like the idea of a low-rise apartment like yr friends,  possibly a garden unit  or maybe duplex style town house which I may be able to afford on "the Goldie"  though not in Main Beach which I like. I like Surfers itself anyway so no problem getting apartment there but not many town house type places.  Chevron Island perhaps but I don't like it there or anywhere away from the beach.

Is it a new build suburb? I went to one south and west of Fremantle once, all new homes and had a meal in am Indian restaurant.  I spoke to Pommie family in there I remember.  Nice homes but for me on my own I prefer to be very close to the city hence Surry Hills, Surfers Paradise, and South Perth. Since I was there a new complex has been completed near Windsor hotel (a fave haunt of mine). They were building it when I was there.  I like the set up in Mends St, doctor and chemist, pub,  cafes and restaurants,  the river front, ferry to the CBD though I've not been on it,  and easy access to the north south freeway if I want to drive. The only thing it lacks is a railway station.

Iluka was just kicking off when we arrived, around 92. Most homes are big and new. Not many apartments at all. The one you mention sounds expensive for a one bedroom. You could get a house for that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Iluka was just kicking off when we arrived, around 92. Most homes are big and new. Not many apartments at all. The one you mention sounds expensive for a one bedroom. You could get a house for that.

I could sell my flat here and move out to Spring Farm where my brother lives and get a 3 or 4 bedroom, brand-new house. He does not like it there though but his daughter also lives there with her children. I guess that is one advantage Perth has in that you can move up or down the coast and get a nice house rather than having move out west into the 'burbs as you do in Sydney. I guess the Central Coast or Wollongong is an option but then it's another nasty commute to Sydney. I don't like living out in the burbs because I like to have everything on my doorstep. There again is that compromise - live in the inner city in an apartment or move out to the burbs to get a house with a garden but long commutes.

I was just looking at a map of Perth seeing where Iluka is. I may have been there on an arvo / evening drive when I was there. I used to meander around. I've still got a blue fleece I bought in Cockburn in a big shopping centre. That would have been in May because it was still warm when I arrived but turned colder. I got my haircut in Ellenbrook and had a beer in the pub there

I still have an invitation to stay with a friend in South Perth and another one invited me to stay with her in Mandurah.  She's presently working out in "the Bush" somewhere, a place "something Lake" where one of the Dockers' players comes from. What was his name? Fyfe? I think it will be Queensland opening before WA though. This is day 77 of our lockdown now and they're talking about releasing us on 18th October provided we get to 70 per cent double vaxed. Queensland is behind NSW as is WA?

6 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Fair enough. You at least had a taste of Perth and tried a few different parts. Funny, I lived on Melville Beach Road for two and a half years in Applecross. Don't know Fenway in Subiaco. Wonder what it was before? Yep. Newcastle Street was the YHA where back packers stayed at the time. Only two hostels I believe at the time, as was just before the Backpacking market developed into what it became. In fact people termed themselves 'travellers' those days and something of an alternative set. 

I'd suggest there appears no burning desire or need to move to Perth, so why uproot from East Coast. Not like Perth would offer something lacking over there, apart from less people and perhaps traffic. Although the drivers are said to be worst over here. I suspect Sydney remains the best place with your range of interests as well as being set up there and living inner city. No idea about Sunshine Coast. Hear mixed reports. But a family from Sydney we know moved up there about two years ago. He has since had to move back to Sydney for work, so not a raging success. But nice house, which would have been unaffordable in Sydney. 

The hostel is still there in Newcastle Street, 396 or 496, albeit with a different name and still I think opposite a car dealer. Having replied to Paul I consulted the map again and I think the pub was located to the west of the main drag in Subiaco - Rokeby Road?  Yes, I remember now, I went to see Spurs' last game of the season in May, 2018. I have a friend who invited me to stay with her in South Perth last year but Covid got in the way. as it still does. QLD was also blocked but then Anna opened the borders briefly in July, 2020, and I went to Surfers to stay with my brother, and stayed for eight months.  I came back to Sydney in March with my brother intending to sort a few things out then return to Surfers but again Covid had other plans for me, though my brother escaped just in time.

The Sunshine Coast is north of Brisbane and I've not been there for a long while. I've heard it's very nice but I think I prefer Surfers on the Gold Coast south of Brisbane. I just checked and Noosa to Brisbane is a two hour drive (2 hr 21 min (149.4 km) via M1 so unless your friend had a job there it would probably have meant commuting to Brisbane. Surfers Paradise to Brisbane is more "doable" (1 hr 14 min (76.1 km) via M1) but still unpleasant. I went there once with my brother during the middle of the day and hated the drive. 

I don't like the winters in Sydney now, and I've got a feeling they can be chill in Perth too? But southern Qld is a few degrees warmer which is what attracts me. So, when I get the opportunity I shall go back again for a second look, as I did in Perth, and see if I still want to move there.

On 08/09/2021 at 20:28, ali said:

Some of us don't mind the plane journey to go over East for a long weekend in addition to enjoying other holidays

I used my frequent flyer points with Qantas to upgrade to business for the Sydney - Perth leg which is five hours and five minutes I think. Perth to Sydney you have the tailwind usually so it's  closer to three hours (?) so economy is more bearable.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 10:56, Paul1Perth said:

Forgot to say I am a McGowan fan. Think he's done a fine job but they need to sort out the staff shortages in the hospitals quickly.

When the borders are open they'll be recruiting like mad.

As I said, if I lived in Perth I would be a fan of his too but he does seem to be creating this sense of us all being citizens of the states not Australia as a whole. As I heard one of the announcers say today on 2GB, "The passport does not say citizen of Western Australia, or Queensland." Anna is worse. "I'm protecting the health of Queenslanders." "Our hospitals are for Queenslanders" (so someone very sick who lives in Covid free northern NSW has to try to get to hospital in Sydney rather than just over the border. And she's been preventing Queenslanders from coming back to Queenland yet letting a horde of NSW NRL players and WAGS from the Covid hotspot of Sydney into QLD no problems.

BUT, I admit that given the choice between living an almost normal life in WA or QLD and eternal lockdown in NSW I know where I'd prefer to be. I was eight months in QLD and never even wore a mask. For four of those months, Melbourne was in lockdown and Sydney was closed to QLD too at times and I thought, "Good! keep them out of MY state."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

The hostel is still there in Newcastle Street, 396 or 496, albeit with a different name and still I think opposite a car dealer. Having replied to Paul I consulted the map again and I think the pub was located to the west of the main drag in Subiaco - Rokeby Road?  Yes, I remember now, I went to see Spurs' last game of the season in May, 2018. I have a friend who invited me to stay with her in South Perth last year but Covid got in the way. as it still does. QLD was also blocked but then Anna opened the borders briefly in July, 2020, and I went to Surfers to stay with my brother, and stayed for eight months.  I came back to Sydney in March with my brother intending to sort a few things out then return to Surfers but again Covid had other plans for me, though my brother escaped just in time.

The Sunshine Coast is north of Brisbane and I've not been there for a long while. I've heard it's very nice but I think I prefer Surfers on the Gold Coast south of Brisbane. I just checked and Noosa to Brisbane is a two hour drive (2 hr 21 min (149.4 km) via M1 so unless your friend had a job there it would probably have meant commuting to Brisbane. Surfers Paradise to Brisbane is more "doable" (1 hr 14 min (76.1 km) via M1) but still unpleasant. I went there once with my brother during the middle of the day and hated the drive. 

I don't like the winters in Sydney now, and I've got a feeling they can be chill in Perth too? But southern Qld is a few degrees warmer which is what attracts me. So, when I get the opportunity I shall go back again for a second look, as I did in Perth, and see if I still want to move there.

It is I past it today returning from the city. Don't recall its most recent incarnation in name sake. All very quiet around there over recent times. It's a free bus from there to city, so miss the once usual gaggle of languages and accents that often once boarded the bus there. 

.Yes Perth winters can be cold to many, but I could get through winter in shorts on most days, if so desired. Usually manage several ocean swims during winter. Even though this July just passed, it rained most every day, I really enjoyed the rain. It wasn't cold. 

I actually thought that you had purchased an apartment in Surfers? Seems to be in the heart of the action, where you were. Is it not mostly a young crowd there though? A near neighbour, spent time there and hated it. Claimed too much crime and corruption and so on. But knowing more about that individual know, I can see where crime would most likely follow him from the lifestyle he leads. 

At one point, I guess, we all need to decide exactly where we want to be, before circumstances dictate the inevitable. I have considered a return to England but again the old chess nut where exactly in England and only Bournemouth has come out on top to date. London probably too expensive and not great in the future with age. 

As I said, if I lived in Perth I would be a fan of his too but he does seem to be creating this sense of us all being citizens of the states not Australia as a whole. As I heard one of the announcers say today on 2GB, "The passport does not say citizen of Western Australia, or Queensland." Anna is worse. "I'm protecting the health of Queenslanders." "Our hospitals are for Queenslanders" (so someone very sick who lives in Covid free northern NSW has to try to get to hospital in Sydney rather than just over the border. And she's been preventing Queenslanders from coming back to Queenland yet letting a horde of NSW NRL players and WAGS from the Covid hotspot of Sydney into QLD no problems.

BUT, I admit that given the choice between living an almost normal life in WA or QLD and eternal lockdown in NSW I know where I'd prefer to be. I was eight months in QLD and never even wore a mask. For four of those months, Melbourne was in lockdown and Sydney was closed to QLD too at times and I thought, "Good! keep them out of MY state."

Not a fan of his at all. Although early days I admit I was. It seems a smokescreen provided by the virus clouding out the real issues impacting this state. The shocking state of health care. Aged Care. A refusal to look into police non compliance/ corruption . (up a lot on previous year)The policy that inflated housing prices , the turn away from dealing with the drug problem . All very well boosting mental health spending and support to meth help addiction, but how about attempting to deal with the problem at source? 

We are lucky. A bumper year in iron prices and royalties. I suspect it will all be spent attempting reelection, meaning tackling some of those problem issues. Meanwhile rail infrastructure in way behind schedule. (I expect cost blow outs) Talk of moving the port out of Fremantle, which is not that well supported and will price costly. 

I used my frequent flyer points with Qantas to upgrade to business for the Sydney - Perth leg which is five hours and five minutes I think. Perth to Sydney you have the tailwind usually so it's  closer to three hours (?) so economy is more bearable.

I don't find it too tiresome flying East. Just wouldn't be inclined to do it too often as more value to be had in flying to somewhere in Asia or even South Africa. 

13 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I have considered a return to England but again the old chess nut where exactly in England and only Bournemouth has come out on top to date. London probably too expensive and not great in the future with age. 

I would take Brighton over Bournemouth...London by the sea! 

On 09/09/2021 at 13:15, MacGyver said:

I wonder how you might perceive UK cities if you were to return. You mention a shop being robbed at knife point, in Glasgow that was an every day occurrence, same with violence and drugs etc etc. 

Also the train lines, I used to frequent the midland and Armadale lines late at night, which are the worst ones allegedly, and never saw any violence. In Scotland we used to get stabbings on the train quite frequently sadly. 

Another thing. Glasgow is a big city with a reputation for being hard and at one time one of the most violent city's in Europe. The Pizzeria at the end of my street is not in a bad area , usually quiet . Those that make the drugs, don't tend to use themselves, so middle class calm is the prevailing appearance. Hence you are right, A young female of her head, holding up such a place was a pretty big thing. 

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I could sell my flat here and move out to Spring Farm where my brother lives and get a 3 or 4 bedroom, brand-new house. He does not like it there though but his daughter also lives there with her children. I guess that is one advantage Perth has in that you can move up or down the coast and get a nice house rather than having move out west into the 'burbs as you do in Sydney. I guess the Central Coast or Wollongong is an option but then it's another nasty commute to Sydney. I don't like living out in the burbs because I like to have everything on my doorstep. There again is that compromise - live in the inner city in an apartment or move out to the burbs to get a house with a garden but long commutes.

I was just looking at a map of Perth seeing where Iluka is. I may have been there on an arvo / evening drive when I was there. I used to meander around. I've still got a blue fleece I bought in Cockburn in a big shopping centre. That would have been in May because it was still warm when I arrived but turned colder. I got my haircut in Ellenbrook and had a beer in the pub there

I still have an invitation to stay with a friend in South Perth and another one invited me to stay with her in Mandurah.  She's presently working out in "the Bush" somewhere, a place "something Lake" where one of the Dockers' players comes from. What was his name? Fyfe? I think it will be Queensland opening before WA though. This is day 77 of our lockdown now and they're talking about releasing us on 18th October provided we get to 70 per cent double vaxed. Queensland is behind NSW as is WA?

Lake Grace I think Nat Fyfe is from. Farming community.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

It is I past it today returning from the city. Don't recall its most recent incarnation in name sake. All very quiet around there over recent times. It's a free bus from there to city, so miss the once usual gaggle of languages and accents that often once boarded the bus there. 

.Yes Perth winters can be cold to many, but I could get through winter in shorts on most days, if so desired. Usually manage several ocean swims during winter. Even though this July just passed, it rained most every day, I really enjoyed the rain. It wasn't cold. 

I actually thought that you had purchased an apartment in Surfers? Seems to be in the heart of the action, where you were. Is it not mostly a young crowd there though? A near neighbour, spent time there and hated it. Claimed too much crime and corruption and so on. But knowing more about that individual know, I can see where crime would most likely follow him from the lifestyle he leads. 

At one point, I guess, we all need to decide exactly where we want to be, before circumstances dictate the inevitable. I have considered a return to England but again the old chess nut where exactly in England and only Bournemouth has come out on top to date. London probably too expensive and not great in the future with age. 

My brother was already in Surfers staying in the Hilton which is right in the centre of Surfers. He's back there now actually. I moved in with him and stayed for eight months. There is some crime and seedy looking characters in Cavill Ave but there are also masses of tourists, hotels, restaurants etc. I rarely felt threatened walking around.  There are dodgy bits around Surry Hills where I live and again a bit like Surfers, it's a mixture of multi million dollar homes and frightening looking public housing schemes. Often when I came out of the Surry HIlls hotel where the Spurs fans go, it'd be 2 am, 3 am, when a game finished and I was thinking, "get a cab or walk home 15 minutes up Elizabeth Street.' Sometimes I'd start to walk looking for a cab then get halfway home and keep going. 

I'm the same as you regarding winter in Sydney, wearing shorts every day, though sometimes longs at night and I have swam all year round some years. Bournemouth is not far from where I am from in England on the western side of Southampton Water. I'm just trying to think of the best way to drive to Bournemouth? Is it A31 and A35? I can't remember. One is a part dual carriageway over the Forest past Ringwood? Another way via Lyndhurst?  And a third, slow way via Lymington, New Milton. I went to Brockenhurst Grammar School for three years from 1965 to 1968.

Do you have family in Bournemouth? Are you homesick? I used to go back regularly when my parents were alive and, after being made redundant in 1996, went back for a holiday which became twelve years. I had a good job with Royal Mail at Southampton Mail Centre, and after my parents passed away, I bought the house, but then came back to Sydney in 2008.Just this week I've been hopefully closing the sale on the house. Well, it IS sold but nothing exchanged yet. I accepted the offer yesterday. I may use the money to buy a place in Surfers.

39 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Lake Grace I think Nat Fyfe is from. Farming community.

That's it. The AFL clashes with the NRL tonight, Melbourne Storm v Manly in the NRL (I go for Melbourne) and Melbourne v Geelong in the AFL, and as Melbourne have not won a Grand Final since 1964? I thought my friend would be back in Surfers by now but she's still in WA after six months.

And I was planning to flick over to England v India 5th Test too but that has just been cancelled.

Edited by MARYROSE02

On 04/09/2021 at 19:35, Red Rose said:

Toots, I respect your right to critique my view 100%. I am only expressing a personal view on a topic specifically about Perth where the OP has asked for a view on Perth. I don't think I have expressed that view disrespectfully or said anything personal about any poster. 

I am not really sure what you are looking for here other for me to censor my views, which is fine. I shan't say anything more on the topic and apologies if I have upset anyone! 

There is also the option of not coming into this thread and reading the negative reviews if it bothers someone that much.

Isn't the intended point of this thread to debate the good and bad points of Perth? Wouldn't one assume that several points, pro and con, would end up being repeated ad nauseum? That is the expectation I have for any type of discussion that encourages debate, like it or lump it.

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 14:21, Blue Flu said:

I've no idea obviously if a drug issue. Just as likely to be something else. But the fact remains Perth has serious drug issues. Perth has violence issues late at night. Nothing new there. Few out and about, hence an easy target if cross paths with the wrong person/people. Yes the soccer player looks to have been in the station, only two minutes prior, speaking with a mate over the phone. He was hit from behind, for no apparent reason. Sadly not as rare as some would prefer to believe. 

There is an underbelly to Perth, besides the anti social behavior which is substantial , one around drug issues that are very prevalent if not always overt. It is not being tackled. 

But with regards to train social issues, I used to catch the last train to the city after work for a few years ending in 2009, I think it was. I witnessed countless issues of or more potential violence during that time. Sitting there minding your own business was no guarantee of not being targeted. I found it worse than London, due to lack of people around and the train stations being void of people and surrounds late at night. What you witnessed pretty normal really.

If you think Perth is bad, try Darwin.

😳😳😳😳

16 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

If you think Perth is bad, try Darwin.

😳😳😳😳

It's not that I think Perth is bad. Many locals here perceive it as bad though. I'd say disappointing what is happening on various levels. I have  Lived in Darwin in the nineties so know it. Impossible to compare. Darwin is more 'relaxed' I think, in a Darwin sort of way, which to many a thinking is more 'slack' than relaxed. Plenty of' non enlightened' at least at that time anyway. Crime to match. I was going to write should try Alice Springs. There's a place now. Doubt if ever experienced more crime over a short duration of months than there. 

Edited by Blue Flu

Has anyone actually addressed the points the OP raised? Something about "cliquey, work till I die, obsessed with money,  nowhere to go," all BS, and I did address them. 

You have to work till you die and obsess with money if you want to buy a house, a car, probably two cars if you live in the burbs, send your kids to a private school, which many do,  and that holds for any city in Australia. 

Cliquey? Someone who is not prepared to put the time in to get to know people and make friends. 

Nowhere to go? Someone with little imagination. 

In short, as I said before,  the Whingeing Pom from Central Casting.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

There is also the option of not coming into this thread and reading the negative reviews if it bothers someone that much.

Isn't the intended point of this thread to debate the good and bad points of Perth? Wouldn't one assume that several points, pro and con, would end up being repeated ad nauseum? That is the expectation I have for any type of discussion that encourages debate, like it or lump it.

If me, I'd prefer to read the down falls first then work upwards. But then I guess that's why so much is spent on advertising. Not hard to convince many of something you prefer them to hear, or indeed they prefer to read confirmation on,  than things that will make them ponder/question  their perceptions. 

5 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Has anyone actually addressed the points the OP raised? Something about "cliquey, work till I die, obsessed with money,  nowhere to go," all BS, and I did address them. 

You have to work till you die and obsess with money if you want to buy a house, a car, probably two cars if you live in the burbs, send your kids to a private school, which many do,  and that holds for any city in Australia. 

Cliquey? Someone who is not prepared to put the time in to get to know people and make friends. 

Nowhere to go? Someone with little imagination. 

In short, as I said before,  the Whingeing Pom from Central Casting.

I'm afraid not BS in many people's eyes, including my own. No whingeing Pom here, nor is Perth alone in being cliquey. But that dopes not make it less so. It has definately become far more status focused, obsessed with money and yes there are limited distractions compared many a city of two million plus people . That may or may not be important to some , but no less the reality to many. 

14 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

If you like pebbles instead of sand. London by the sea would put me right off.

Last time there it was a lovely hot day . Refused to swim as a scum was floating on the surface just off the beach. Probably best not to know a result of what. Like the atmosphere of Brighton though. Obviously a lot of social issues around drugs and homelessness though. A bit dirty in parts , but an openness that is appealing. If house prices did not reflect the London By Sea title, could live there I suspect quite contently. Always Worthing down the road I guess. Although when I knew that town, it appeared much further away in attitude and style than the few miles of separation.