How are you passing the time? (waiting for grant)

nomadiccarpenter

Thought I'd make a thread to lighten the mood when it comes to the frustration of waiting for our visa grant.

Feel free to rant, vent or share experiences that could help one another pass the time.

How are you feeling? Have you found ways to stay productive during this massive delay of life plans? Has the wait turned into a positive experience or has it been destructive?

My experience:
Fortunately, I've had work to pass the time but I will be laid off in two weeks. My car has bit the dust so now I'm wondering, "do I buy a car when I may move next month... or next year?" Dating or relationships are a no-no and finding a new job would require me to lie about my future so they don't reject me for not committing a lot of time. Ideally, I'm entering the perfect time to move abroad this summer but times are not normal and I may end up waiting until summer 2022 at the earliest.

So now, I have to fight to keep my savings as long as I can until I can actually go to Oz. I'm going to focus on my self-employment prospects and learn about real estate (though I can't get a license until Oz). I'll just be doing side hustles until a bigger opportunity arrives and work on being creative (music, skateboarding, writing).

• Like 2

I would get a car, even it's a cheap run around and apply for a job. What's it matter if you have to lie, you have to look after no1. Employees wouldn't worry about you if they had to lay you off.

I hated the wait when we were in the UK. Luckily we accepted quickly, both of us were in jobs that we'd let know we were emigrating, we sold the house privately and moved in with my in-laws for a couple of months. Luckily they had a big house in the same area.

Couldn't wait to get on the plane and get going though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nomadiccarpenter said:

finding a new job would require me to lie about my future

I wouldn't let that hold you back.  Don't volunteer information about your future plans, but if they do ask, say, "I had applied to migrate to Australia, but Covid has put paid to all those plans now."  If they probe further, explain that

• Australia has stopped all visa processing (which is true)
  • the borders aren't likely to open till late 2022 (which is true)
  • you can't afford to hang around in limbo that long, so you need to get on with your life (which is true).

You don't need to say that you'll revive your migration plans as soon as circumstances allow - that's none of their business.

Consider, if they hire you and then there's a downturn, they won't hesitate to lay you off.  So take the same attitude - you take the job, you do you absolute best for them while you're working there, but if circumstances change you have the right to leave.

Also consider how much your savings will dwindle if you aren't working full-time for the next year or so.  Also the possible implications if you aren't working in your chosen occupation when things start up again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:
  • Australia has stopped all visa processing (which is true)
  • the borders aren't likely to open till late 2022

I Don’t think either of the above statements are particularly true or  correct.

Not ‘all’ visas have stopped being processed, yes the amount of offshore visas has dropped dramatically, but they’re not completely halted. 

Borders being shut till late 22 is completely speculative, nothing has certainly been set in stone. More and more ‘news’ is pointing to the NEED  for skilled migration to resume. I’m sure if you look hard enough you can find the news to match the narrative you want to believe.

🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 31Hillbury said:

I Don’t think either of the above statements are particularly true or  correct.

Not ‘all’ visas have stopped being processed, yes the amount of offshore visas has dropped dramatically, but they’re not completely halted. 

Borders being shut till late 22 is completely speculative, nothing has certainly been set in stone. 

I am not talking about what I believe. I am giving @nomadiccarpenter a way that he can get himself another job without lying to his employer.

All offshore visas in his occupation are stopped right now, unless he can find a priority employer.  That's a fact that the employer can check and find to be true.  The Australian government is on record as saying borders won't open till mid to late 2022 - again, a fact the employer can check and find to be true.  It is always possible they'll open early for skilled visa holders but the important point is, what statements can he give to an employer in his home country right now in order to get a job.

• Like 1

I’m working hard to save as much as possible to ensure the landing & adjustment into our new life in Australia is a smooth as possible.

To say it’s been a tough journey so far would be untrue, as I’m blessed with friends, family, nice home and a good job. The toughest part is the unknown in many respects, especially after applying in Dec 2019, it’s a little unnerving not knowing after all this time whether our visa application will be successful.

If we are lucky enough to be granted, it will nearly be 10 years since we had stepped foot in Aus (2013) & I just wonder how much it will of changed. I really enjoyed my time there & got on well with the Aussies.

My fingers are crossed for all of us waiting. 👍

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice everybody. Some tips to those who are waiting and get frustrated like me:

Don't:
• check the news every day about borders. 

• bug your migration agent every week or month because they won't know either
• parachute into the country

Do:

• read books about Australia

• network online with Australians
• research everything about the city you're landing in

• Like 1

On 03/06/2021 at 06:19, nomadiccarpenter said:

Thought I'd make a thread to lighten the mood when it comes to the frustration of waiting for our visa grant.

Trying to keep with the OP request .... whilst waiting, get ready for the move, order a box of Aussie treats/foods to try and sample some Aussie wines and beers (all in the interest of researching the move of course).

• Congratulations 1

On 04/06/2021 at 07:27, nomadiccarpenter said:

Do:

• read books about Australia

• network online with Australians
• research everything about the city you're landing in

I think this is a good idea up to a point.  However, there is only so much time you can spend doing those things, so don't let them become obsessive.  While you're dreaming of your future, life is happening.

You have only another year or so in the US and then you'll be leaving the country forever to live your new life.  How about focussing on making the most of the US while you can?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You have only another year or so in the US and then you'll be leaving the country forever to live your new life.  How about focussing on making the most of the US while you can?

Very good point. Enjoy time with friends and encourage them to visit. You know what  - I've been also doing is using credit card points as a little savings strategy to help friends and family visit. It's slow growing but by the time I'm settled, should be a nice little fund for a future airfare ticket.

And I also agree planning ahead becomes obsessive. I'm at that stage now so should pull back. Plus, everything will feel different when I do arrive and there's much to learn by just exploring a new place on foot.

@ali Yes, then crack open an Aussie drink when the grant comes!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ali said:

Trying to keep with the OP request .... whilst waiting, get ready for the move, order a box of Aussie treats/foods to try and sample some Aussie wines and beers (all in the interest of researching the move of course).

And also start to call all your mates cobbers and if you see something amazing instead of saying cool say "far out"

Just to prepare yourself for when you get over to OZ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/06/2021 at 03:49, nomadiccarpenter said:

Feel free to rant, vent or share experiences that could help one another pass the time.

How are you feeling? Have you found ways to stay productive during this massive delay of life plans? Has the wait turned into a positive experience or has it been destructive?

My experience:
Fortunately, I've had work to pass the time but I will be laid off in two weeks. My car has bit the dust so now I'm wondering, "do I buy a car when I may move next month... or next year?" Dating or relationships are a no-no and finding a new job would require me to lie about my future so they don't reject me for not committing a lot of time. Ideally, I'm entering the perfect time to move abroad this summer but times are not normal and I may end up waiting until summer 2022 at the earliest.

So now, I have to fight to keep my savings as long as I can until I can actually go to Oz. I'm going to focus on my self-employment prospects and learn about real estate (though I can't get a license until Oz). I'll just be doing side hustles until a bigger opportunity arrives and work on being creative (music, skateboarding, writing).

Hello from the other side of the World!

Its been like 15 months for me without any update on my 190 visa application. It quite frustrating and nerve wracking to think about this every day. I started my immigration journey to Aus in 2017 when I wrote IELTS for the very first time (Process of registration for overseas nurses is too long specially if you are not from any of the first world countries) so If I count from there then its going to be almost 4 years now. I have been to Aus for a span of 6 months in between (to do my bridging course for AHPRA reg) and I loved it there. The people, places, scenic views (weather-not too much tho) and I can't wait to be back. All my friends back here have got well settled with their jobs and families and some moved to the UK/Ireland and are happy working/living there whereas I'm still not sure of my future prospects (and it adds to more anxiety). I have a valid AHPRA license as a RN which I keep renewing every year thinking that next year I will do it while being onshore but then the dream shatters again. lol

Although I have a job here that keeps me busy at times but then at the end of the day, everything comes back to the same question as to when I will get my visa! I applied for many jobs via seek/indeed but woke up to a rejection mail again and again (since they need PR/Citizens only) so now I have stopped bothering. I know people who have been waiting for around 18-20 months now without a single update but that's no help again since I feel more anxious as I might be waiting for that long too. I do yoga and learning to meditate so that's helpful at times.

I still ponder whether I took the right decision 4 years back. I have heard people saying that it will all be worth when you are finally on the Aussie land and I do agree with that. But nobody tells us how to go through the times of endless waiting and frustrations. 

Well, I believe this will remain the same for the next few months so will have to get through this period by hook or crook. Sorry for the really long post (or rant) but When I came across this thread, I could not stop myself from posting. Also, I know people here will understand this since we are all in the same boat; hopefully will see the shore soon! 🙂

Thanks for reading! 

Edited by Pooja Negi

4 minutes ago, Pooja Negi said:

I had apply for many jobs via seek/indeed but ended up with a rejection mail again and again since they need PR/Citizens only so now I have stopped applying. 

I'm sure I read a member here posting about an agency that finds jobs for nurses in your situation.  Have you investigated agencies?

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm sure I read a member here posting about an agency that finds jobs for nurses in your situation.  Have you investigated agencies?

Thanks @Marisawright for your response. I have contacted many agencies but no luck. There are very few agencies who do get sponsored jobs for overseas nurses if they have professional experiences from the US, UK, Ireland etc. So, I think it's just waiting game for me just like others.