Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

15 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

On the breakfast menu mine is salmon eggs Benny or maybe pancakes (which I usually regret as too sweet)

On the lunch menu I usually go for the health bowl options or the fish. Never order anything involving burger or chips. So unimaginative. 

I love fish, but I never order it at a restaurant. I think I worry it won't be filling enough.

I love salmon on eggs, but not a fan of hollandaise sauce. I'd have it with Vegemite though.

Edited by newjez

8 hours ago, Parley said:

It is a good sign if you and your husband are happy to chat to each other for over 3 hours. Well done.

We do a lot of people watching in restaurants, and invent stories about the other patrons. Obviously after we've run out of conversation on the weather.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Parley said:

When i go to my local Indian for takeaway i always get the Balti Lamb, Saffron Rice and Naan Brad.

Not really sure of the difference but i have had Chicken Madras and a Beef something or other. If i take my daughter to dine in, i let her order for both of us and we share as a communal meal.

The main thing for me is they aren't too hot. Once someone got me to try a beef vindaloo and it nearly killed me.

When I first came to the UK, I'd never had a curry in an Indian restaurant. I'd watched red dwarf though, and he always had a vindaloo. So I ordered a vindaloo on a night out with a few mates. Nearly bloody killed me. I thought they were playing tricks on me, but no. It was hot. Got it down, but it took a few beers and some of that yogurt stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, ramot said:

I think the point you are missing is that pubs and restaurants need to make a profit, or they will go out of business. That’s why it’s quite reasonable to put a time limit on bookings, and take bookings. That is normal practice.  If everyone stays for hours and hours in their favourite pub/restaurant then their favourite won’t be there long.

So many are still recovering from no business due to lockdowns and are lucky if they are sill in business.

of course if you want to pay an exorbitant amount for your meal at a ridiculously expensive restaurant then you probably can stay all night.

If such a stunt was attempted in France or indeed most likely Italy, and much of Europe or Asia for that matter,few would patronize, as to make it a non issue. I was referring to a 'normal' restaurant  not a nosh house or fast food outlet, which would indeed be understandable. Eating out is not cheap in places beyond what I mentioned in Australia. This went on before the virus. I could find agreement, if clients were simply sitting around without any consumption of alcohol or coffee, which are normally consumed at leisure after a meal. Any undue pressure is simply greed and not to be encouraged. 

9 hours ago, newjez said:

I love fish, but I never order it at a restaurant. I think I worry it won't be filling enough.

I love salmon on eggs, but not a fan of hollandaise sauce. I'd have it with Vegemite though.

It’s always really well cooked and I just don’t have the knack to cook that at home. Not the most filling choice though I agree. Hollandaise is the best.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

If such a stunt was attempted in France or indeed most likely Italy, and much of Europe or Asia for that matter,few would patronize, as to make it a non issue. I was referring to a 'normal' restaurant  not a nosh house or fast food outlet, which would indeed be understandable. Eating out is not cheap in places beyond what I mentioned in Australia. This went on before the virus. I could find agreement, if clients were simply sitting around without any consumption of alcohol or coffee, which are normally consumed at leisure after a meal. Any undue pressure is simply greed and not to be encouraged. 

a) Who cares about the continent

b) Love the way there is an assumption I go to ‘a nosh house?’ Whatever that is

i won’t bother to reply to you sgain

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

WTF is a ‘nosh house’?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ramot said:

a) Who cares about the continent

b) Love the way there is an assumption I go to ‘a nosh house?’ Whatever that is

i won’t bother to reply to you sgain

Best you refrain from upsetting yourself and don't reply if that's the result. But never mind I shall respond in order to clarify and help out.

Who cares about the continent?. The restaurant that I was referring to is Italian owned ,food Italian, hence would be unlikely to behave in such a way if back at home.  

A nosh house speaks for  itself. An ordinary eating place without the finer touches. Just assumed a person of your supposed 'worldliness' would have known that, but no matter, not an effort  to explain. Hope that helps....

28 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I have recently learned how to cook salmon well at home but not any other kind of fish

I don't know what it is about fish hey? I always bake my salmon. 15 mins at 180d. It's probably well 'over' but I struggle with pan trying. I love a nice piece of beautifully cooked local fish. All the local restaurants seem to do it very well.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I don't know what it is about fish hey? I always bake my salmon. 15 mins at 180d. It's probably well 'over' but I struggle with pan trying. I love a nice piece of beautifully cooked local fish. All the local restaurants seem to do it very well.  

Skin side down i think is the trick for the majority of the time and just a brief turnover at the end for the other side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parley said:

Skin side down i think is the trick for the majority of the time and just a brief turnover at the end for the other side.

I try that but it takes ages for all the pink to go. Then it ends up overcooked. 

It must be my hob or pan or something. 

11 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I try that but it takes ages for all the pink to go. Then it ends up overcooked. 

I've had it cooked that way in front of me at a restaurant and although it took ages for all the pink to go, it wasn't overcooked.  However I'm like you, I bake mine.  I started buying frozen salmon over the Melbourne lockdown and I bake it straight from frozen, wrapped in baking paper.  30 minutes at 200 C.  Perfect. 

After Mum died and Dad had to learn to cook on his own, he used to do fresh salmon in the microwave in a special fish-cooker tupperware.  It was nice but of course, more like poached. 

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I've had it cooked that way in front of me at a restaurant and although it took ages for all the pink to go, it wasn't overcooked.  However I'm like you, I bake mine.  I started buying frozen salmon over the Melbourne lockdown and I bake it straight from frozen, wrapped in baking paper.  30 minutes at 200 C.  Perfect. 

After Mum died and Dad had to learn to cook on his own, he used to do fresh salmon in the microwave in a special fish-cooker tupperware.  It was nice but of course, more like poached. 

I cook it on the BBQ but I always overcook it.

My missus bakes it in the oven, and serves it with a pesto sauce which is to die for. Not sure of the receipe. She ordered it in a restaurant, loved it and then experimented until she got it right.

But it is a thing if you Google it.

11 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

It must be my hob or pan or something. 

I fry salmon skin side down for 2 minutes, then flip for another 1 or 2 minutes, depending on the thickness (a tail piece would be the 1 minute extra).  I think the trick is judging just the right temperature before putting the salmon in.  I also smother it in dill and lemon pepper and fry in rice bran oil.  Exquisitely yum when I get it just right.  😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

The Stoke references and writing style gave you away on my return. Lots of posters reincarnated so nothing new about that. I don't think I've ever seen a personally abusive or vindictive post from you. That's worth a lot imo. Pomposity or perception of aside. Too many faceless forum users say things they'd never say when one on one. 

You were already on line prior to my signing up a few months back. I leave the abuse and pulling out of hair, to others. As some rather more thought of Philosopher once said, "they know not what they do". I have already written with regards to some of the posters comments, as being nothing but hubris. An act of arrogance before the Gods. Saying that i do not expect the antagonistic emotions around indignation, resentment , contempt and a faux build up of obvious anger to subside anytime soon. Is it any wonder that some of the 'ancient greats', as this Flag character is constantly held in near spiritual relevance on here. Hard boots to fill as mentioned. First trial under fire though have observed little fire power in the muskets of the cheer squad. 

Now onto more important things. About the scaling of fish.... or was that cooking" If cooking only way to go is on hot coals covered and wrapped with herbs  in foil. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Parley said:

The real you is coming out now. No need to hide any more.

The post vanished so will attempt to recreate. Hide? The post on the matter is pure Hubris. In ancient Greek mythology ,this was an act of arrogance before the Gods which was avenged by the  Nemesis, the goddess of retribution. 

TYMAB.

Yes I miss a few things. I miss the colleagues I worked with over there. They were welcoming and warm and they were particularly interested in what was happening "in the trade" on the other side of the world.

I miss the green of the countryside as we drove down to Oxford from Leicester. That's a particular kind of green that I had never seen.

I miss the London Underground as it was my daily journey from West Kensington over to the Embankment.

I also miss the fact that I did not have sufficient time to have a really good look around. It was all work and networking at the time.

Maybe we will get back there, but this time for a good look around and a drink or two with the locals. Did I mention they like like a drink or two. My kind of crowd.      

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

10 years later... 

I still miss M&S and :

UK people 😞 they are so nice!! People go out of their way to help you

Drivers letting you merge lanes. 

Caring Employers and colleagues 

UK TV, radio, comedians, The BBC, 

The Queen 

• Like 1