Flights to UK now

newarrival

If I did wish to leave for the UK now is it even possible with all the restrictions? I came with Emirates from Newcastle airport but I hear those flights have stopped due to Coronavirus. 

I just started with a cough, have a slight temperature and body aches,  headaches, black outs and breathlessness so probably am in no rush to travel right now. I collapsed during a walk a few days ago, was lying on the pavament for 30 minutes and had to call family for help. I've had better weeks!

My plan is to leave Australia, land in Newcastle, stay overnight at the Premier Inn and fly Easyjet to go on to the south of Spain. Health permitting.

Is anyone booking a flight now? Any advice on getting a cheap flight to Newcastle?

4 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

You need to apply for visa to leave Australia, 

Travel restrictions about to be implemented in uk don’t think you will be flying to Spain any time soon sorry 

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/21/uk-minister-hints-covid-rules-on-foreign-travel-could-extend-to-summer

I think the OP has just had his Australian visa cancelled so is unlikely to have too much trouble getting permission to leave.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

Just now, Tulip1 said:

I think the OP has just had his Australian visa cancelled so I unlikely to have too much trouble getting permission to leave.

7 hours ago, newarrival said:

If I did wish to leave for the UK now is it even possible with all the restrictions? I came with Emirates from Newcastle airport but I hear those flights have stopped due to Coronavirus. 

I just started with a cough, have a slight temperature and body aches,  headaches, black outs and breathlessness so probably am in no rush to travel right now. I collapsed during a walk a few days ago, was lying on the pavament for 30 minutes and had to call family for help. I've had better weeks!

My plan is to leave Australia, land in Newcastle, stay overnight at the Premier Inn and fly Easyjet to go on to the south of Spain. Health permitting.

Is anyone booking a flight now? Any advice on getting a cheap flight to Newcastle?

It is possible to get a flight to the UK, people are doing it all the time. A member on here did just that some days ago. Depending on what country you transit through, you may have to do hotel quarantine on arrival. It will be difficult to fly to Spain as you can only leave the UK for essential reasons, the list is available online. 

I flew back on 16 March using SingaporeAir. Qatar (like UAE) is since 18 March a red list country so if you fly with them you may have to quarantine in a hotel in London unless they make exceptions for people who only transit through Doha Airport (who knows?). The only other non-red list option at the moment is Cathay Pacific. 

23 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

No mention in his post about that ??

Poster has posted in visa chat

heading reads

’Home affairs accused me of lying’

Always difficult to try and help a poster without full knowledge of the facts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You don't hold an Australian permanent visa, so there is nothing to prevent you leaving.   There are fewer flights but it's not that hard.

As others have said, once you get to the UK you'll be stuck.  Better to fly direct to Spain.

I'm not sure if there are any flights from Australia to Spain. Would I not have a problem at customs being turned back as I didn't come from the UK? I didnt think you could fly direct to another country without having to go back to the UK first. That would make things easier if it were possible because if flying out of the UK is hard to do at the moment due to the pandemic flying direct to Spain would be the best thing but I know of no airlines that do that. 

14 minutes ago, newarrival said:

I'm not sure if there are any flights from Australia to Spain. Would I not have a problem at customs being turned back as I didn't come from the UK? I didnt think you could fly direct to another country without having to go back to the UK first. That would make things easier if it were possible because if flying out of the UK is hard to do at the moment due to the pandemic flying direct to Spain would be the best thing but I know of no airlines that do that. 

As a Brit, you can fly direct to anywhere in Europe, you don't need to get a visa.   So it's a case of going to a travel agent or getting online and checking which airlines are flying to Europe at the moment.  If you can't get a flight to Spain, you could get a flight to Paris, for instance, then you can hop on a local flight to Spain, or you could catch the train.  

Etihad and Qatar and Emirates all fly from Sydney to Madrid, then catch a train to wherever you want to go. 

Note, though, that you're only allowed to stay in Spain for 3 months. If you want to stay longer, you'll need to go and register at the local police station there and apply for a longer-stay visa.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rallyman said:

No mention in his post about that ??

True. His visa hasn’t been cancelled because he just doesn’t seem to actually have one.  I meant him being able to remain has come to an end rather than his visa cancelled. 

12 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

True. His visa hasn’t been cancelled because he just doesn’t seem to actually have one.  I meant him being able to remain has come to an end rather than his visa cancelled. 

I think he said he had a Bridging Visa B or that they were planning to give him one of those.

3 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

I think he said he had a Bridging Visa B or that they were planning to give him one of those.

Yes but it seems it’s a very short one based on him being there without a valid visa. Just given on condition he gets a flight.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

Just now, Loopylu said:

He (or she) has a Bridging Visa E.    A BVE is granted to someone whose visa has expired and who is therefore at risk of becoming illegal, solely to give them time to book a flight home.   

The OP arrived on a tourist visa with the intention of applying for permanency. The OP did not apply for a permanent visa, instead they just decided to stay and set up home. I think they've been extraordinarily lucky to be granted a BVE instead of being deported.  I imagine it's part of Immigration being lenient with people due to the difficulty of travelling during Covid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

He (or she) has a Bridging Visa E.    A BVE is granted to someone whose visa has expired and who is therefore at risk of becoming illegal, solely to give them time to book a flight home.   

The OP arrived on a tourist visa with the intention of applying for permanency. The OP did not apply for a permanent visa, instead they just decided to stay and set up home. I think they've been extraordinarily lucky to be granted a BVE instead of being deported.  I imagine it's part of Immigration being lenient with people due to the difficulty of travelling during Covid.

That is correct.  That visa will allow newarrival enough time to make arrangements to leave Australia.

Apply for a Bridging visa E

Apply for a Bridging visa E (BVE) as soon as you can if your visa has expired. A BVE is a short-term visa that lets you:

• remain lawful while you make arrangements to leave Australia
  • leave Australia as a lawful non-citizen
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, newarrival said:

I think if you have enough money and can prove it he would have been allowed to stay in Spain on the right visa. 

Yes indeed. The thing is that even when the UK was in the EU, you weren’t supposed to just arrive in Spain and set up home. If you wanted to stay permanently, you had to register at the police station and get your papers in order. Many people didn’t know that and have been living illegally on the Continent for years. 

I thought there was some kind of amnesty which allowed people to stay providing they registered before a certain deadline - but I have a feeling the deadline was late 2019 or early 2020 so maybe they missed that too

As a Brit, you can fly direct to anywhere in Europe, you don't need to get a visa.   So it's a case of going to a travel agent or getting online and checking which airlines are flying to Europe at the moment.  If you can't get a flight to Spain, you could get a flight to Paris, for instance, then you can hop on a local flight to Spain, or you could catch the train.  
Etihad and Qatar and Emirates all fly from Sydney to Madrid, then catch a train to wherever you want to go. 
Note, though, that you're only allowed to stay in Spain for 3 months. If you want to stay longer, you'll need to go and register at the local police station there and apply for a longer-stay visa.  

Visas don’t seem to be a priority for the OP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 25/03/2021 at 22:10, Tulip1 said:

It is possible to get a flight to the UK, people are doing it all the time. A member on here did just that some days ago. Depending on what country you transit through, you may have to do hotel quarantine on arrival. It will be difficult to fly to Spain as you can only leave the UK for essential reasons, the list is available online. 

From what I've read, only about 1% entering the UK have to quarantine.

It's a bit of a joke really. France is swimming in South Africa strain, but come right in.

It's so political it's laughable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, newjez said:

From what I've read, only about 1% entering the UK have to quarantine.

It's a bit of a joke really. France is swimming in South Africa strain, but come right in.

It's so political it's laughable.

From my recent experience of entering the UK by plane on 17 March, you cannot get in without registering where you will be isolating for 10 days and paying for 2 Covid tests to be taken on Days 2 and 8. I spent my 10 days holed up in my parents house not seeing anyone or going anywhere....

3 hours ago, Loopylu said:

From my recent experience of entering the UK by plane on 17 March, you cannot get in without registering where you will be isolating for 10 days and paying for 2 Covid tests to be taken on Days 2 and 8. I spent my 10 days holed up in my parents house not seeing anyone or going anywhere....

So it's entirely voluntary then.