Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

North to South

Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

Recommended Posts

Hope someone is able to provide some information on the below situation:

We are PR residents, and our intended state of residence is Queensland (Brisbane). We originally had booked our flights to Brisbane back in February 2020 with Singapore airlines for arrival on 28th May 2020. Due to Covid-19 which caused all flights to be stopped; we were unable to fly into Brisbane. Due to the circumstances; Singapore airlines granted us an extension and have given us the option to re-schedule when flights to Brisbane are re-instated. Singapore airlines look to have the option with flights going into Brisbane again, and we want to re-scheduled our flights for arrival into Brisbane for the beginning of September 2020.  We have the "original" booked tickets with reference number for reference.

In summary; we had booked our flights back in February 2020 for arrival into Brisbane on 28th May 2020, pandemic happened, all flights stopped, airline company provided option to re-schedule our flights on the original booking reference number, we have been waiting for Singapore airlines to resume flights into Brisbane, flights to be re-scheduled under the original reference number for arrival in September 2020.

We require some help in understanding whether we will be required to pay the quarantine fees based on our personal family situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JInOz said:

Hope someone is able to provide some information on the below situation:

We are PR residents, and our intended state of residence is Queensland (Brisbane). We originally had booked our flights to Brisbane back in February 2020 with Singapore airlines for arrival on 28th May 2020. Due to Covid-19 which caused all flights to be stopped; we were unable to fly into Brisbane. Due to the circumstances; Singapore airlines granted us an extension and have given us the option to re-schedule when flights to Brisbane are re-instated. Singapore airlines look to have the option with flights going into Brisbane again, and we want to re-scheduled our flights for arrival into Brisbane for the beginning of September 2020.  We have the "original" booked tickets with reference number for reference.

In summary; we had booked our flights back in February 2020 for arrival into Brisbane on 28th May 2020, pandemic happened, all flights stopped, airline company provided option to re-schedule our flights on the original booking reference number, we have been waiting for Singapore airlines to resume flights into Brisbane, flights to be re-scheduled under the original reference number for arrival in September 2020.

We require some help in understanding whether we will be required to pay the quarantine fees based on our personal family situation?

My understanding of the situation is no, you will not have to pay, as long as you can show evidence of the original paid booking.

 


Left UK 1990 / WA for 28 years / UK / returning Australia as soon as the CV issue allows !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AliQ said:

My understanding of the situation is no, you will not have to pay, as long as you can show evidence of the original paid booking.

@AliQ I think this is a similar situation to what we had. @JInOz has had his flights cancelled by Singapore Airlines. When (s)he rebooks it will be a new booking after 17 June, and it is the rebooked flight they will look at when they arrive in Brisbane, so they may well need to pay quarantine fees.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

@AliQ I think this is a similar situation to what we had. @JInOz has had his flights cancelled by Singapore Airlines. When (s)he rebooks it will be a new booking after 17 June, and it is the rebooked flight they will look at when they arrive in Brisbane, so they may well need to pay quarantine fees.

Right, that's a shame for JinOz then.

We re booked before 17th June for our August flight, thank goodness, it's a big fee to have to pay

  • Like 1

Left UK 1990 / WA for 28 years / UK / returning Australia as soon as the CV issue allows !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AliQ said:

Right, that's a shame for JinOz then.

We re booked before 17th June for our August flight, thank goodness, it's a big fee to have to pay

 @JInOz might want to look at the possibility of using their flight credit to book flights into Sydney rather than Brisbane, before NSW start implementing quarantine charges too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply @Wanderer Returns and @AliQ. I think that is now the best option; flying into Sydney before things change again.
A bit unfortunate as we had our flights booked to Brisbane, and then the pandemic hit. We have 2 small kids (1, and 3.5) so flying into Brisbane would have been preferred option. Guess we will start figuring out our options from Sydney to Brisbane. I think Singapore airlines are flying Singapore -> Sydney -> Brisbane.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

There are several people following this thread who are migrating or returning to Australia, which is stressful enough under normal circumstances. It's not very helpful when people start speculating or trying to second-guess what the government is going to do next, with regards to borders and travel restrictions. Most of us have been trying to get here quickly as we can because there are so few flights at the moment, and the situation remains tenuous.

Thank God for Qatar Airways who've kept going through all of this - they deserve a medal! - and they'll be getting my business in future. My wife arrived in Sydney yesterday evening, which was a huge relief as we'd shipped everything the day before she left the UK. Despite having all the paperwork to hand, they still made her wait 40 minutes at Manchester Airport while they contacted immigration to check her PR, so if you have PR rather than Australian citizenship then I suggest you get to the airport early.

 @Lavers I think you get into Melbourne today or tomorrow, don't you? I've just read that SA isn't going to reopen their border on the 20th July, so I think you're going to need an entry permit to get to Adelaide, if that's still you intention? @AliQ have you been in touch with SIA? I used their live chat on Facebook, and it only took a few minutes to get through. They'll probably be able to tell you if your flights have been rescheduled or cancelled before the booking agent.

Just arrived in Melbourne and so far so good.

Everyone is really helpful, we got some little treats whilst we sat on the coach waiting to take us to the hotel. Then when we got through the checks at the hotel we got given our tea to take to the room.

They have given us interconnecting rooms so I can lock the kids next door.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

We are looking into moving to Adeliade in September 2020. My family and I have a 189 visa so looking at the Aus govt. website we'll be able to get into Australia but isolate for 2 weeks. We have sold the house, my wife handed in her notice today (she's a theatre nurse) and I’m currently hoping to go over to Aus with my job.

I had a video call with the removal companies agent from PSS removals today and he told me that there is an increase of Australian and NZ residents moving back to Aus and NZ from the UK but not many people like myself and family who are moving out there but they hope to see an increase in families like mine in the coming weeks, this could be a sales pitch but the person I spoke with was pretty believable.

We, as a family, have ‘activated’ the visa three years ago so we are hoping it’s a case of getting on the plane and flying into Aus, quarantining ourselves for 2 weeks (catch up on sleep etc…) and then we’ll be released into Adelaide. This is how I see it all going in my head but I know there’ll be bumps in the road.

Anyone else in this situation?

 

Beau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

There are several people following this thread who are migrating or returning to Australia, which is stressful enough under normal circumstances. It's not very helpful when people start speculating or trying to second-guess what the government is going to do next, with regards to borders and travel restrictions. Most of us have been trying to get here quickly as we can because there are so few flights at the moment, and the situation remains tenuous.

Thank God for Qatar Airways who've kept going through all of this - they deserve a medal! - and they'll be getting my business in future. My wife arrived in Sydney yesterday evening, which was a huge relief as we'd shipped everything the day before she left the UK. Despite having all the paperwork to hand, they still made her wait 40 minutes at Manchester Airport while they contacted immigration to check her PR, so if you have PR rather than Australian citizenship then I suggest you get to the airport early.

 @Lavers I think you get into Melbourne today or tomorrow, don't you? I've just read that SA isn't going to reopen their border on the 20th July, so I think you're going to need an entry permit to get to Adelaide, if that's still you intention? @AliQ have you been in touch with SIA? I used their live chat on Facebook, and it only took a few minutes to get through. They'll probably be able to tell you if your flights have been rescheduled or cancelled before the booking agent.

Just arrived in Melbourne and so far so good.

Everyone is really helpful, we got some little treats whilst we sat on the coach waiting to take us to the hotel. Then when we got through the checks at the hotel we got given our tea to take to the room.

They have given us interconnecting rooms so I can lock the kids next door.

You get 3 set meals a day but you can order takeaways at set times also, you just need to tell reception so that they dont make you a meal. You can also get woolworths to deliver food supplies to your room.

Internet is free of charge and also movies are free for you to watch.

I have read that we are allowed yard time but not sure how often and for how long.

I was expecting the SA border to shut longer after seeing cases keep rising.

Not the best but it is what it is.

Glad your wife has made it over wanderer 👍

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JInOz said:

Thanks for the reply @Wanderer Returns and @AliQ. I think that is now the best option; flying into Sydney before things change again.
A bit unfortunate as we had our flights booked to Brisbane, and then the pandemic hit. We have 2 small kids (1, and 3.5) so flying into Brisbane would have been preferred option. Guess we will start figuring out our options from Sydney to Brisbane. I think Singapore airlines are flying Singapore -> Sydney -> Brisbane.

 

Hi JinOz, Singapore Airlines are now showing flights from Manchester to Brisbane, we are booked for the first week of August to Brisbane, and at this stage, the flight is going ahead. Having said that, anything can happen !!!

  • Like 1

Left UK 1990 / WA for 28 years / UK / returning Australia as soon as the CV issue allows !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/06/2020 at 12:25, Dusty Plains said:

Therefore, nobody will be coming to Australia for the next 12 months, AT LEAST according to SM., especially anyone from any country where the Australian Federal Govt. deems that efforts at curtailing the spread of Covid-19  are insufficient within such countries. and the risk,or otherwise of accepting such immigation from within those environments. 

You can probably guess where people are probably never coming to Australia, ever. Is this the end of UK immigation to Australia?

For me, this is a great outcome.  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Joe/Rose said:
On 27/06/2020 at 12:25, Dusty Plains said:

Therefore, nobody will be coming to Australia for the next 12 months, AT LEAST according to SM., especially anyone from any country where the Australian Federal Govt. deems that efforts at curtailing the spread of Covid-19  are insufficient within such countries. and the risk,or otherwise of accepting such immigation from within those environments. 

You can probably guess where people are probably never coming to Australia, ever. Is this the end of UK immigation to Australia?

For me, this is a great outcome.  

??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BeauVinyl said:

We are looking into moving to Adeliade in September 2020. My family and I have a 189 visa so looking at the Aus govt. website we'll be able to get into Australia but isolate for 2 weeks. We have sold the house, my wife handed in her notice today (she's a theatre nurse) and I’m currently hoping to go over to Aus with my job.

I had a video call with the removal companies agent from PSS removals today and he told me that there is an increase of Australian and NZ residents moving back to Aus and NZ from the UK but not many people like myself and family who are moving out there but they hope to see an increase in families like mine in the coming weeks, this could be a sales pitch but the person I spoke with was pretty believable.

We, as a family, have ‘activated’ the visa three years ago so we are hoping it’s a case of getting on the plane and flying into Aus, quarantining ourselves for 2 weeks (catch up on sleep etc…) and then we’ll be released into Adelaide. This is how I see it all going in my head but I know there’ll be bumps in the road.

Yes, it's a case of getting on the plane, flying to Aus, and then the authorities will frogmarch you off to a hotel where you'll have to stay for two weeks.  The only hiccup might be getting a flight into Adelaide.    

The rule is that you have to do your quarantine in the city where you first land.  So if your flight lands in Melbourne, you'll be taken to quarantine there.  What happens after that will depend what's happening in Australia at the time.  If you landed today, like Lavers, then you'd do your two weeks in Melbourne and then you'd have to do another two weeks when you get to Adelaide. 

It's not really worth fretting about it until  closer to the date, because things will change.  Right now, for instance, Melbourne is experiencing a "spike" so international flights are being diverted to other cities (but note, they're not being cancelled).  By September, that spike should have passed but the virus might have popped up somewhere else. 

  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lavers said:

Just arrived in Melbourne and so far so good.

Everyone is really helpful, we got some little treats whilst we sat on the coach waiting to take us to the hotel. Then when we got through the checks at the hotel we got given our tea to take to the room.

They have given us interconnecting rooms so I can lock the kids next door.

You get 3 set meals a day but you can order takeaways at set times also, you just need to tell reception so that they dont make you a meal. You can also get woolworths to deliver food supplies to your room.

Internet is free of charge and also movies are free for you to watch.

I have read that we are allowed yard time but not sure how often and for how long.

I was expecting the SA border to shut longer after seeing cases keep rising.

Not the best but it is what it is.

Glad your wife has made it over wanderer 👍

Welcome to Australia!!!

You should do a 'Life in Quarantine ' thread so people know what to expect rather than us presuming and guessing what happens. I would find it quite interesting as im sure many others would who are waiting to fly to Aus.

   Cal x

  • Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before you leave quarantine at the end of your 14 days, you will need to have several covid tests returning a negative result

I don't know why some people do but if you refuse to have a covid test you will be forced to quarantine for a further 10 days.

  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lavers said:

Just arrived in Melbourne and so far so good.

Everyone is really helpful, we got some little treats whilst we sat on the coach waiting to take us to the hotel. Then when we got through the checks at the hotel we got given our tea to take to the room.

They have given us interconnecting rooms so I can lock the kids next door.

You get 3 set meals a day but you can order takeaways at set times also, you just need to tell reception so that they dont make you a meal. You can also get woolworths to deliver food supplies to your room.

Internet is free of charge and also movies are free for you to watch.

I have read that we are allowed yard time but not sure how often and for how long.

I was expecting the SA border to shut longer after seeing cases keep rising.

Not the best but it is what it is.

Glad your wife has made it over wanderer 👍

Welcome to Australia.

Not sure about the yard time? as there has been much criticism today that people in quarantine in Melbourne have been allowed out for exercise. Hope the next 2 weeks pass quickly for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Welcome to Australia!!!

You should do a 'Life in Quarantine ' thread so people know what to expect rather than us presuming and guessing what happens. I would find it quite interesting as im sure many others would who are waiting to fly to Aus.

   Cal x

Thank you

Good idea Cal and it will give me something to do over the next 2 weeks

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ramot said:

Welcome to Australia.

Not sure about the yard time? as there has been much criticism today that people in quarantine in Melbourne have been allowed out for exercise. Hope the next 2 weeks pass quickly for you.

Thank you

Yeah not really sure what they will do regarding going outside, I assumed it would just be a room at a time so that theres no chance of passing on covid.

VIC gov are also setting up online exercise classes, yoga and mental wellbeing. They seem to be doing all that they can to help people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JInOz said:

We have 2 small kids (1, and 3.5) so flying into Brisbane would have been preferred option. Guess we will start figuring out our options from Sydney to Brisbane.

I think Singapore airlines are flying Singapore -> Sydney -> Brisbane.

@JInOz that's correct. According to SIA, Singapore -> Sydney -> Brisbane will be the route when flights recommence, but as @Marisawright stated, returnees are required to do quarantine at their first port of entry. Maybe you will have to leave the plane in Sydney rather than in Brisbane, anyway? I wouldn't know, but it's a consideration and worth looking into before you make a decision. Queensland's quarantine cost for a family of four is $4620, significantly higher than the cost of 4 one-way tickets from Sydney to Brisbane. If you book your flights to Sydney now, the chances are that you'll not be hit for quarantine fees. Two days ago Singapore Airlines announced that Changi Airport are allowing transiting for passengers arriving from  London on Heathrow, so getting from London to Sydney with Singapore Airlines doesn't look like it's going to be an issue.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/news-alert/?id=kataac8r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case this is of help to anyone.

From the Queensland government website 

What if I booked my flight before the announcement, do I still have to pay for the accommodation?
If, before midnight on 17 June 2020, you had a confirmed arrival date into Queensland, even if you arrive on or after 1 July 2020, you will not be required to pay the quarantine accommodation fee. Conditions do apply and evidence will need to be supplied.

You will still be required to quarantine in the government arranged accommodation for the duration and an invoice for your stay will be issued. Upon receipt of this invoice, you will need to submit a request for waiver supplying the required evidence.


https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/protect-yourself-others/quarantine/overseas-travel-quarantine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More from a link at above website:

You can apply to have all or part of the quarantine fee waived after you get the invoice. Once the quarantine fee invoice is issued you have 30 days to apply to have the amount waived

Those eligible to apply for a fee waiver include:

  • people who had a confirmed arrival date into Queensland before midnight on 17 June 2020, even if they arrive after 1 July 2020

  • people who are experiencing financial hardship

  • people who are vulnerable.

Financial hardship

You may be eligible for a fee waiver under the grounds of financial hardship. You must be an Australian citizen or a Permanent resident to apply for this waiver.

Eligibility is assessed against criteria including, but not exclusive to:

  • An individual is unable to meet current financial obligations (e.g. home loan, immediate living expenses)

  • Unemployment or on Jobkeeper/Jobseeker or another relevant Centrelink service or an Australia studying overseas

  • Loss of a business entity, home or possessions due to COVID 19 or a natural disaster.

When applying under this category you will be asked to provide:

  • Citizenship/residency documentation

  • Bank letter or statutory declaration

  • Centrelink statement

  • Other relevant documentation. e.g. bills, rate notices, debt agreements, family court documents regarding financial obligations, funeral expenses, notice of impending legal actions, international student fees and eviction notices.

People who are vulnerable

You may be eligible for a fee waiver if you (or someone you are quarantining with) are considered a vulnerable person.

Eligibility is assessed against criteria including, but not exclusive to, persons who identify with the below:

  • A child

  • An individual aged 18 and above who may not be able to take care of themselves or is unable to protect themselves against harm or exploitation by reason of age, illness, trauma, or disability or any other reason

  • Persons 70 years and older

  • Persons 65 years and older with chronic medical conditions

  • An Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person who is 50 years and older with one or more chronic medical conditions.

  • An individual who suffers from chronic medical conditions, immune system conditions and medical treatments that place a person at increased risk

  • Mental health illness

  • Refugee or humanitarian reasons

  • Escaping domestic, family or sexual violence

  • A carer for a person who may be considered as vulnerable

  • Exceptional circumstances.

When applying for a fee waiver under this category a range of documents may assist in assessing eligibility, including (but not exclusive to):

  • birth certificate

  • medical certificates/documentation

  • visa status

  • police order

  • statutory declaration

To apply for a quarantine fee waiver once you have received an invoice, complete the form here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Parley said:

Before you leave quarantine at the end of your 14 days, you will need to have several covid tests returning a negative result

I don't know why some people do but if you refuse to have a covid test you will be forced to quarantine for a further 10 days.

I am shocked. Why on earth would people refuse to do the test? Surely they wouldn’t want to risk giving it to others when they can have a test and know they’re safe. Who do they think they are 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I am shocked. Why on earth would people refuse to do the test? Surely they wouldn’t want to risk giving it to others when they can have a test and know they’re safe. Who do they think they are 🙄

People are selfish.

From a recent survey of lockdown respondents 
“5.95 per cent said they went shopping for essential or non-essential items with COVID-19 symptoms”
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-01/coronavirus-restrictions-comply-lockdown-second-time/12409134

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×