3rd world scenario again grrr

starlight7

As soon as we get hot weather out come the power cuts in Australia. I was brought up in post war London and could count on one hand the number of power cuts we got. Here it averages one a month, more in hot weather. Lots of excuses but no politician seems to be able to assist. It seems to have started when they privatised power. Obviously they want our money, lots of it ( we have the most expensive electricity in the world ) but don’t care about their customers at all.

6 or 7 years ago we used to get them if a storm came through, the longest we were off was 2 days in the big floods a few years ago, nightmare when the water pump is electric, you cant even flush a loo! I remember Gary taking soap up to the pool to have a swim / wash . Touch wood this last couple of years we havent had many and if we have they have only been for minutes.( Hope ive not just jinxed myself,lol)

Cal x

• Like 1

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

As soon as we get hot weather out come the power cuts in Australia. I was brought up in post war London and could count on one hand the number of power cuts we got. Here it averages one a month, more in hot weather. Lots of excuses but no politician seems to be able to assist. It seems to have started when they privatised power. Obviously they want our money, lots of it ( we have the most expensive electricity in the world ) but don’t care about their customers at all.

I thought this one was because they purchase "green energy" from SA and somewhere the grid broke down like it often does in SA

It's difficult / expensive to store electricity. If you have a large fluctuation in electricity use, you either need hydro to store, or you need surplus power generation on standby, which is expensive. So they try and predict peak use, and sometimes get it wrong. 

I guess that's why solar would be good for Australia, as it provides power when you need it. Although the cells lose efficiency when they get too hot.

Plus Aust has other problems to deal with. Dust buildup can cause shorts.

Plus I think Australian electricians don't work live, whereas they tend to work live more in the UK. Or so I was told, but I'm not an electrician.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Where in Australia are you?   I've lived in Sydney and Melbourne for over 35 years and rarely experienced a power cut.  In fact, they had to switch off the power briefly in our building for some reason recently and I realised I didn't even possess candles. 

Yeah, rarely experienced them when I lived in Sydney. However, where I live now in a semi-rural area in the UK. Every time there is a bit of wind.... lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, starlight7 said:

There isn't as much power generating capability due to coal power plants being shut down due to greenies pushing renewable energy.

Victoria closed down the Hazlewood power plant which is why you are now getting blackouts.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

The longest we went without was in Cairns after Cyclone Yasi, over 2 weeks. The shops were out so you couldn’t pay via card only cash but the ATM’s were out because there was no power. You couldn’t get fuel because petrol pumps don’t work without power. 
‘So basically if a cyclone is coming always have cash in the house. 

4 hours ago, Bobj said:

I bought a 3.5 kva generator, just in case...

Cheers, Bobj.

We thought about backing the house up to a generator, for at least water, but have just never got around to it. The house across the road is backed up and last time we did lose power it was at night and when you looked out of the window you could see their TV reflection,lol, so frustrating when i was sat twiddling thumbs,lol.

Cal x

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Quoll said:

I thought this one was because they purchase "green energy" from SA and somewhere the grid broke down like it often does in SA

19 hours ago, starlight7 said:

We get them all the time and I always ring and ask why. You wouldn’t believe some of the excuses. I live in Eastern suburbs Melbourne. Last one was just before Christmas and was “probably a possum “ Yair right.

Easy.  The coal fired generators in Vic are so worn out that they’re inherently unreliable.  SA kept Vic going through the extreme heat last year through the interconnect.  SA now has the cheapest wholesale electricity in the country.  They’re having the last laugh...

• Haha 1

Guest The Pom Queen
59 minutes ago, calNgary said:

We thought about backing the house up to a generator, for at least water, but have just never got around to it. The house across the road is backed up and last time we did lose power it was at night and when you looked out of the window you could see their TV reflection,lol, so frustrating when i was sat twiddling thumbs,lol.

Cal x

Some of the properties in Cairns did that. I think there are only certain things you can run through it, I can’t remember why but I’m sure someone here will know or remember. I don’t think it was voltage but something else. I’ve no idea it was over ten years ago and with modern technology things have probably changed now. 

On 31/01/2020 at 15:09, starlight7 said:

Where are you located?

15 years in Australia, lived in 2 states and travelled to them all.

Can count the amount of power cuts on 1 hand and only lasted a few hours in each case.

Guest The Pom Queen
1 minute ago, Collie said:

Where are you located?

15 years in Australia, lived in 2 states and travelled to them all.

Can count the amount of power cuts on 1 hand and only lasted a few hours in each case.

You are very lucky then. Maybe you have always lived close to the city?Parts of SE Melbourne use to always go down, Cairns always when a storm came through, we would be left for hours, a Cyclone goes through you could be left for days, where we are now in Queensland we have lived 3 years and probably lost power 8 times or more. You need to remember power lines are above ground and not below. So any strong winds, lightning strikes can easily take the power out.

Collie just because you live in a state and haven’t had a power outage doesn’t mean someone else hasn’t, you can live in the same suburb, even street as someone and they can have lost power and yours can be on. For example let’s look at Energex for SE Queensland for January just scroll down and then tell me there are no power cuts. Remembering this is only a small area of Queensland and doesn’t represent the whole of Qld https://twitter.com/Energex?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Guest The Pom Queen
8 minutes ago, Collie said:

I didn't say there are no power cuts anywhere ever.

My point was that IME, Australia is far from a 3rd world country when it comes to power reliability as the OP was trying to imply.

Well it seems the OP was correct according to the Age Newspaper, https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/power-company-warns-of-blackouts-as-heat-stretches-grid-20200131-p53wmo.html and I’m afraid however much I love Australia I agree, the grids should be able to cope. 
‘It’s not just the electric, our internet dropped to 68th in the latest reports and placed 32 out of the 35 OECD nations for speed. That’s if you can get internet at all. We are lucky where we live but the neighbours can’t get a mobile signal nor can they get NBN. 

4 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Well it seems the OP was correct according to the Age Newspaper, https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/power-company-warns-of-blackouts-as-heat-stretches-grid-20200131-p53wmo.html and I’m afraid however much I love Australia I agree, the grids should be able to cope. 
‘It’s not just the electric, our internet dropped to 68th in the latest reports and placed 32 out of the 35 OECD nations for speed. That’s if you can get internet at all. We are lucky where we live but the neighbours can’t get a mobile signal nor can they get NBN. 

That's why I asked where they were?

All anybody can do is speak to their own experience and I have experienced minimal issues in 15 years mostly in NSW and now WA.

Far from 3rd world experiences.

10 hours ago, starlight7 said:

When we lived in Tassie there were no problems in the 1980s I have to say- and it was North West, so pretty remote. We are certainly not remote where we are now though. Guess its the luck of the draw.

We are in north west Tassie and we've had some real storms with gale force winds off the Bass Strait but have never lost power.  We had it cut off for a couple of hours a while ago but we were pre-warned about it.  Something to do with work that was being done at the local power station.

• Like 1