Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

Hi

We have already applied for 143 in Auh 2016 and havent heard anything back since then. Currently in Australia on 600 tourist visa and looking at applying for 870 so that can continue staying with family for few more years. Can you pls help me understand following:

Does anyone know if applying for 870 will cancel my 143 or not?

How long does it take to receive an outcome of 870?

Is there any option to get some sort of Bridging visa while waiting for outcome of 870?

Much appreciate any help or direction i can get.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I am new here. Have everybody noticed that the queue date is up to May 2016? https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates . My application is in Feb 2016 and I am still waiting for the 2nd VAC. I wonder if anyone here who applied before May 2016 got the second call. Cheers. 

1 minute ago, Ollie1234 said:

Sorry to be stupid, what are they saying exactly? Are they still saying 58 months? 

Yes, that's right.

I can't square that comment with the number of visa applications on hand and the number of visas available under the migration program - even if we allow for some applications being refused.

Best regards.

8 hours ago, Thomas N said:

Hi all,

I am new here. Have everybody noticed that the queue date is up to May 2016? https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates . My application is in Feb 2016 and I am still waiting for the 2nd VAC. I wonder if anyone here who applied before May 2016 got the second call. Cheers. 

Queue date has been stuck on May 2016 for ages! Lots from January 2016 onwards who are waiting for 2nd Vac but there  are some who have had that request 

Edited by LindaH27

7 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

Gets me thinking how we could create a 'similar level of public awareness'... 

Might not do any good but went to the web page

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates#

Where is states

"However, based on current planning levels, we estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 58 months to be released for final processing.

At the bottom of the page clicked on "Tell us what you think of this page" (or "Feedback" both options do the same thing).

Selected 1 star,  selected "Content" and amongst other things said how they are misleading people and taking money from them when they may not even live long enough to be processed.

60,000 queued at 4,500 pa at the moment seems more like 13-14 years to me.  I've already said my piece, won't make any difference to me but made me feel better 🙄 If enough people do this maybe it will help others in the future.

Edited by Biggsy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Biggsy said:

Might not do any good but went to the web page

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates#

Where is states

"However, based on current planning levels, we estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 58 months to be released for final processing.

At the bottom of the page clicked on "Tell us what you think of this page" (or "Feedback" both options do the same thing).

Selected 1 star,  selected "Content" and amongst other things said how they are misleading people and taking money from them when they may not even live long enough to be processed.

60,000 queued at 4,500 pa at the moment seems more like 13-14 years to me.  I've already said my piece, won't make any difference to me but made me feel better 🙄 If enough people do this maybe it will help others in the future.

I've done the same @Biggsy although this would be the web team trying to improve the user experience of the site, so may never get to desk of the powers that be. I would not have parted with the money to apply for a visa that was going to take 10 years. It's an actual scam. 

Perhaps this is something that Alan Jones or Paul Murray could take up? Our application was lodged in Oct 2017 so we are still quite far down in the queue. It does seem that the whole 143 process has slowed down considerably and yet with Covid other category applications have ground to a halt. Surely they can clea4 the back.og.

Net overseas migration – which normally accounts for 60 per cent of population growth – is forecast to fall from 154,000 to minus 72,000 in 2021 and minus 22,000 in 2022 as border closures restrict the arrival of overseas students and permanent settlers. 

Why not  increase the allocation of parent visas? Some applicants are already in the country on holiday and other visas

On 07/10/2020 at 19:08, Tulip1 said:

The reality is Australia doesn’t want old people, no country does. More than ever, they only want people that will bring real value to the country.  Tough but understandable I think. 

I think we often think of migration as a bubble that only includes UK applicants (I know I did initially when applying for a visa) and forget that UK applications form only a small part with people applying in possibly the same numbers from all over the world.

18 hours ago, JoanneE said:

Perhaps this is something that Alan Jones or Paul Murray could take up? Our application was lodged in Oct 2017 so we are still quite far down in the queue. It does seem that the whole 143 process has slowed down considerably and yet with Covid other category applications have ground to a halt. Surely they can clea4 the back.og.

https://theconversation.com/we-need-to-restart-immigration-quickly-to-drive-economic-growth-heres-one-way-to-do-it-safely-147744

Maybe contact the authors of this article?

Best regards.

7 hours ago, ali said:

I think we often think of migration as a bubble that only includes UK applicants (I know I did initially when applying for a visa) and forget that UK applications form only a small part with people applying in possibly the same numbers from all over the world.

I agree. I expect most parent applications come from Asia.  I get the impression a huge amount of the international students are from these countries and many go into get PR. Many from those countries also obtain PR via the skilled route too.  I bet the parent application numbers from the U.K. are low in comparison.  

39 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I agree. I expect most parent applications come from Asia.  I get the impression a huge amount of the international students are from these countries and many go into get PR. Many from those countries also obtain PR via the skilled route too.  I bet the parent application numbers from the U.K. are low in comparison.  

E62640F0-4278-4B87-A987-64F9E0DC939C.png

Immigration department being very unfair with offshore 143 applicants, made them wait 5 plus years and now not giving visas. All these families have their lives on standstill because of all these delays. Soon the medicals and police clearance for all Jan to May 2016 applicants will start to expire and will add to their cost and misery. No fair dinkum here!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1