Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

The reality is Australia doesn’t want old people, no country does. More than ever, they only want people that will bring real value to the country.  Tough but understandable I think. 

Quite true. But I wonder what it'd look like say 50 years from now. Arent they crowding the country with all baby boomers to be left with an ageing population down the road? Not a macro economics expert but just thinking out loud. Not sure how long term is the govt really thinking.

3 hours ago, Arti said:

Quite true. But I wonder what it'd look like say 50 years from now. Arent they crowding the country with all baby boomers to be left with an ageing population down the road? Not a macro economics expert but just thinking out loud. Not sure how long term is the govt really thinking.

Quite possibly but at least those baby boomers would have paid into the system for 40/50 years of their working life.  Those of them that go onto needing expensive medical care, aged care and round the clock residential care have contributed to it well. When parents in their 60’s/70’s/80’s land, they’ve contributed nothing. The cost of the visa is tiny compared to the overall cost of these parents. The residents that are home grown should expect to be taken care of. The migrants that arrive when they are young enough to contribute into the system for many years should also expect to be taken care of.  Pensioners from elsewhere shouldn’t expect anything. Therefore we need to be grateful that a parent visa even exists at all. The fact that Australia doesn’t want too many to turn up is their choice and very understandable.  I say that as a parent waiting in the queue.  It’s frustrating but I get it, of course they don’t really want the likes of me. 

• Like 4

I actually agree with @Tulip1 During my three plus years waiting I’ve read a lot and learnt  a lot and yes it’s true that really, in order to contribute what we could potentially cost the Australian taxpayer as we age further, we probably need to pay  at least 10 times what the visa costs us. The Productivity  Commission Review ( ?)  in 2016  said as much and also recommended cutting 99 current visas to just 10 and stopping the non contributory parent visas, especially the onshore 804, as it costS Australia Ongoing big bucks.  They tried to get rid of it once but failed  yet I suspect it will be closely  looked at again once the pandemic is at more manageable levels and less effort is needed to run the country. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Arti said:

I'm not sure I understand you.   That's what skilled immigration is for - so the country can bring in a constant stream of young people to refresh the population.  That's at a temporary go-slow right now because of high unemployment in Australia - they don't want to bring people in who won't get a job - but it hasn't stopped.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

It’s just got worse - new figures announced show allocation of parents  visas has dropped further - to 4500!! 

That means just for June/July 2017 it'd take 2 years as there were 9000 in those 2 months. Imagine lodging application 2 months apart would be 2 years different for granting

Hi does anyone know if they are still processing offshore 143 visas to completion?  I've been  waiting for 2nd VAC since March.

I see the government have said that the Australian borders will remain closed until late 2021😨

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/australia-travel-tourism-tourists-2021-borders-closed-coronavirus-b857365.html

16 minutes ago, Flangela100 said:

Hi does anyone know if they are still processing offshore 143 visas to completion?  I've been  waiting for 2nd VAC since March.

I see the government have said that the Australian borders will remain closed until late 2021😨

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/australia-travel-tourism-tourists-2021-borders-closed-coronavirus-b857365.html

They only granted 3730 contributory parent visas ( 173,143, 884, 864) and 669 non contributory (103 ,804)  up to end of their financial year ending 30 June. A total of just 4399! 

Think they were then possibly  waiting to see what the next years allowance was in the budget whilst still processing some. 

The figure announced was just 4500 , but there is no breakdown down yet on how the split is broken down between contributory and non- contributory. There  was also some mention -I think-  of possible prioritising of onshore visas in certain regional areas. 

It’s certainly not good news for parents especially as it was also announced in the budget that borders were likely to remain closed till late next year and then only increase admissions  slowly. Think the skilled young ones will get most of the available places as that’s what Australia needs to get its economy up and running again.  Partners, for one year only,  will be increased from 42k to 72k - again it gets the young ones in who will pay taxes etc and help their economy. 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flangela100 said:

Hi, 

there’s been a few January 2016 applicants finalised recently, but not many. Lots of parents in the same boat as you waiting for 2nd VAC. 
Check back on this thread 

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

They only granted 3730 contributory parent visas ( 173,143, 884, 864) and 669 non contributory (103 ,804)  up to end of their financial year ending 30 June. A total of just 4399! 

Think they were then possibly  waiting to see what the next years allowance was in the budget whilst still processing some. 

The figure announced was just 4500 , but there is no breakdown down yet on how the split is broken down between contributory and non- contributory. There  was also some mention -I think-  of possible prioritising of onshore visas in certain regional areas. 

It’s certainly not good news for parents especially as it was also announced in the budget that borders were likely to remain closed till late next year and then only increase admissions  slowly. Think the skilled young ones will get most of the available places as that’s what Australia needs to get its economy up and running again.  Partners, for one year only,  will be increased from 42k to 72k - again it gets the young ones in who will pay taxes etc and help their economy. 

Thanks for the info, I can live in hope!

I think that if, as a healthy older person, you're taking all you're wealth to Australia, then the contribution to the economy is considerably more than a youngster!  This seems to be forgotten.

38 minutes ago, Flangela100 said:

I think that if, as a healthy older person, you're taking all you're wealth to Australia, then the contribution to the economy is considerably more than a youngster!  This seems to be forgotten.

I’ve mentioned this before, but there is an assumption that parents only come from UK with assets. I seem to remember a list showing the highest number came from Asia? Many of the families from there club together to find the money, and don’t necessarily bring much money with them. After  reading the stories over the years on this forum, not everyone is bringing wealth with them. Many of us are relying on pensions, and after 17 years retired here, pensions haven’t necessarily increased to counter the increased costs of living here.i know several people who have been here as long or longer than us are  struggling as life is now more expensive.

Edited by ramot

45 minutes ago, Flangela100 said:

Not really as much of that wealth will pass on to their children when they die which is exactly what would happen if they didn’t live there. Unless they plan on donating it to businesses I guess.  Unfortunately, the  healthy older person generally becomes an unhealthy even older person. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ramot said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but there is an assumption that parents only come from UK with assets. I seem to remember a list showing the highest number came from Asia? Many of the families from there club together to find the money, and don’t necessarily bring much money with them. After  reading the stories over the years on this forum, not everyone is bringing wealth with them. Many of us are relying on pensions, and after 17 years retired here, pensions haven’t necessarily increased to counter the increased costs of living here.i know several people who have been here as long or longer than us are  struggling as life is now more expensive.

This is the most ignorant post I have seen in this forum... assuming parents from Asia just coming to the country to rotten the public system????

I think most of the Asian parents they wouldn't be bothered to come to Australia if they are not wealthy enough to live comfortably for the rest of their life. Leave alone they won't receive any benefits from the government for the 1st 10 years, and after that who the hell would be able to live on $300q pension per fortnight?

Regards,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bic Nguyen said:

This is the most ignorant post I have seen in this forum... assuming parents from Asia just coming to the country to rotten the public system????

I think most of the Asian parents they wouldn't be bothered to come to Australia if they are not wealthy enough to live comfortably for the rest of their life. Leave alone they won't receive any benefits from the government for the 1st 10 years, and after that who the hell would be able to live on $300q pension per fortnight?

Regards,

I'm sure the Asian parents aren't coming to "rotten" the public system.  They are coming to be with their children so if they have no money their children should look after them plus they should be thankful they will eventually receive a pension.  I thought that was the main reason for the visa   ...........  that parents want to live close to their children.  No other reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Flangela100 said:

Way back in March, they said repeatedly that the borders would not open until July 2021 at the earliest, so I don't know why anyone is surprised. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bic Nguyen said:

Regards,

I really apologise I meant no offence, I was clumsily saying from having read many posts on the parent visa thread, over the many years of having been a Member that there have been posts mentioning that some Asian families did club together to bring their parents to Australia. Nothing wrong with that. I just find that there is an assumption from some posters that only parents from UK apply. I have lived a long time in Asia and would never insult anyone. I would add I never mentioned anything about receiving a pension?

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Flangela100 said:

Not true.  It's been proved time and time again that parents coming to Australia cost the Australian taxpayer more than they contribute, and the reason is mainly medical.   As Tulip1 says, you may be healthy now, but unless you're very lucky, you won't stay healthy for long.  As your body falls apart in old age, Medicare will bear the cost of keeping you going, and caring for you through whatever illness finally kills you!   We often don't realise the true cost of medical treatments - but for example, a simple knee replacement operation costs the government $35,000.  I'll leave you to guess how much it will cost the government if you need a heart bypass or a cancer op or...

Years ago, I read a very interesting scientific tudy on aging that said the idea that we age gradually isn't true.  We think we start "getting old" after 40 but actually, most people see only a small decline in their 40's and 50's.  That's why we often feel smug in our 50's that we're doing pretty well for our age (at least, I did...).  However for the great majority of the population, health will start to fall very steeply at some point in their 60's,  and death will follow by their early 80's.    None of us likes to think about it, but it's life I'm afraid. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ramot said:

I really apologise I meant no offence, I was clumsily saying from having read many posts on the parent visa thread, over the many years of having been a Member that there have been posts mentioning that some Asian families did club together to bring their parents to Australia. Nothing wrong with that. I just find that there is an assumption from some posters that only parents from UK apply. I have lived a long time in Asia and would never insult anyone. I would add I never mentioned anything about receiving a pension?

To clarify reference my original comment about receiving ‘pensions’, most people from UK receive work pensions and the state pension. I was not referring to the Australian pension.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ramot said:

To clarify reference my original comment about receiving ‘pensions’, most people from UK receive work pensions and the state pension. I was not referring to the Australian pension.

IMHO no apology is needed.   

You have given your original comment context, and - again, IMO - the response from a new commentator on this forum is an over-reaction.

Best regards.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Not true.  It's been proved time and time again that parents coming to Australia cost the Australian taxpayer more than they contribute, and the reason is mainly medical.   As Tulip1 says, you may be healthy now, but unless you're very lucky, you won't stay healthy for long.  As your body falls apart in old age, Medicare will bear the cost of keeping you going, and caring for you through whatever illness finally kills you!   We often don't realise the true cost of medical treatments - but for example, a simple knee replacement operation costs the government $35,000.  I'll leave you to guess how much it will cost the government if you need a heart bypass or a cancer op or...

Years ago, I read a very interesting scientific tudy on aging that said the idea that we age gradually isn't true.  We think we start "getting old" after 40 but actually, most people see only a small decline in their 40's and 50's.  That's why we often feel smug in our 50's that we're doing pretty well for our age (at least, I did...).  However for the great majority of the population, health will start to fall very steeply at some point in their 60's,  and death will follow by their early 80's.    None of us likes to think about it, but it's life I'm afraid. 

This is so true.  Some people will have illnesses that slowly decline over the years but for many, poor health hits quite steeply.  4 years ago my mum was about to hit 80. She was incredible and my siblings and I used to joke she’d outlive the lot of us. We called her the ox because she was so strong, so capable and never had anything wrong with her. She’d never been in hospital (apart from giving birth), no operations etc and I don’t even remember her getting a common cold although I’m sure she must have.  We would say she’d be getting her 100th year telegram from the queen.  Fast forward to today and she has advanced dementia and a host of other problems. Her decline has been fast and she now needs round the clock care and 7 weeks ago moved into a care home. I mentioned how good she was doing before all this to a doctor and he said something that I wasn’t sure at the time made real sense or was worded the best but actually he was spot on. He said ‘we’re ok until we’re not ok’  Sadly most healthy old people keep going and become unhealthy, even older people. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

This is so true.  Some people will have illnesses that slowly decline over the years but for many, poor health hits quite steeply.  4 years ago my mum was about to hit 80. She was incredible and my siblings and I used to joke she’d outlive the lot of us. We called her the ox because she was so strong, so capable and never had anything wrong with her. She’d never been in hospital (apart from giving birth), no operations etc and I don’t even remember her getting a common cold although I’m sure she must have.  We would say she’d be getting her 100th year telegram from the queen.  Fast forward to today and she has advanced dementia and a host of other problems. Her decline has been fast and she now needs round the clock care and 7 weeks ago moved into a care home. I mentioned how good she was doing before all this to a doctor and he said something that I wasn’t sure at the time made real sense or was worded the best but actually he was spot on. He said ‘we’re ok until we’re not ok’  Sadly most healthy old people keep going and become unhealthy, even older people. 

My Mum was the same as your Mum Tulip.  Fit as a fiddle all her life.  Never in hospital not even to have her babies.  Unfortunately in her early 80's out of the blue she had a bad stroke and a heart attack and only lasted a few day in hospital before she died. In a way it was a blessing as she would have hated to be incapacitated in any way.

• Like 2