Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

1 minute ago, Ollie1234 said:

Just did, thank you. It's actual insanity. My parents probably won't make the flight in 9 years. I hate Australia for this! 

The main problem is that we are not being kept up to date by immigration and some agents flatly refuse to accept the figures - I’ve also seen posts by some saying no it’s still 4 years! . Not the good ones who post on here though, I hasten to add! Like @Alan Collett who is very realistic. 

Ive seen so many posts online in forums and on social media where people are all excited because they’ve just put in their application. And it’s heartbreaking! I’ve waited over three years already and think it may be another 3. But I’ve learnt to accept this and just get on with my normal life otherwise it will drive you crazy. 
once the borders are open maybe think about your parents applying for 870 visa. It costs $5000 per person for 3 years stay and $10,000 per person for a 5 years stay and you must have full private Health insurance. It can be renewed after 3 months out of the country but only to a maximum of 10 years then you have to leave so 2 x 5 years is $20,000 per person $ 40,000 per couple Plus associated private health insurance costs. 
Big Bucks!! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ollie1234 said:

Just did, thank you. It's actual insanity. My parents probably won't make the flight in 9 years. I hate Australia for this! 

Why hate Australia? Was it not your choice to emigrate and leave your parents behind. If it means that much to you and them, return to your home country so that you can be together. I have lived apart from my Mum since 1999 and feel so fortunate that Australia even has the parent visa as an option. As far as I am aware there are no other countries in the world that have this visa. 

• Like 4

Just now, purplealster said:

Why hate Australia? Was it not your choice to emigrate and leave your parents behind. If it means that much to you and them, return to your home country so that you can be together. I have lived apart from my Mum since 1999 and feel so fortunate that Australia even has the parent visa as an option. As far as I am aware there are no other countries in the world that have this visa. 

New Zealand does but they stopped it for a few years but believe it’s been re opened again. Also UK does but it’s extremely difficult to get - even worse than Australia I think ! 

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

New Zealand does but they stopped it for a few years but believe it’s been re opened again. Also UK does but it’s extremely difficult to get - even worse than Australia I think ! 

As far as I know the parent visa for the UK is not like the parent visa here. The Elderly Parent visa from what I have read is very hard to obtain and the parent needs to be quite incapacitated and not able to look after themselves physically nor financially. The NZ visa has a parent visa however the financial obligations are quite intense and not something the regular man on the street is likely to be able to afford. 

From the NZ immigration website.

If you have an adult child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident, you can apply to live in New Zealand permanently. You’ll need an annual income of NZ $60,000 plus NZ $1 million to invest for 4 years, and another NZ $500,000 to live on. Once you’ve completed the 4-year investment period, you’ll be eligible for permanent residence.

6 minutes ago, purplealster said:

As far as I know the parent visa for the UK is not like the parent visa here. The Elderly Parent visa from what I have read is very hard to obtain and the parent needs to be quite incapacitated and not able to look after themselves physically nor financially. The NZ visa has a parent visa however the financial obligations are quite intense and not something the regular man on the street is likely to be able to afford. 

From the NZ immigration website.

If you have an adult child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident, you can apply to live in New Zealand permanently. You’ll need an annual income of NZ $60,000 plus NZ $1 million to invest for 4 years, and another NZ $500,000 to live on. Once you’ve completed the 4-year investment period, you’ll be eligible for permanent residence.

Not according to this https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/criteria/parent-resident-visa?nationality=nationality-GBR&country=residence-GBR#https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/support-family/calculating-sponsors-income-parent-resident-visa/slider

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

You are indeed correct and so am I - it would seem that there are two parent visa options - one to be sponsored by your child with the salary criteria and the other you can come in as a parent of a citizen if you are loaded!

10 minutes ago, purplealster said:

You are indeed correct and so am I - it would seem that there are two parent visa options - one to be sponsored by your child with the salary criteria and the other you can come in as a parent of a citizen if you are loaded!

Sounds a bit like the Australia Investor visa - can’t remember the name/ number  of it ! 889?? 

So if it’s all about the money - what’s the betting Australia will stop the nonContributory visas 103 and 804 which costs them a lot in medical care etc and ramp up the costs of the 143 and 864 to a level more commensurate with the one they envisaged in the Productivity Review or whatever it was called ? They said that elderly parents costs as they grow older were probably 10 times the amount currently paid for those visas!!! 

And they know they may have the numbers - you’ve only got to look at how many are in the queue - and paying a large sum towards a visa was “supposed” to get you a much quicker visa. 

Then again as 804s have risen  to a possible 30 years - with Australia bearing  a lot of the costs - the 143 is indeed still quicker at a (for now) 8/9 years wait! 

1 hour ago, Ollie1234 said:

Consider that if you were an Australian wanting to bring your parents to the UK, you'd be stuck - there is no parent visa, except for a very limited one if your parent is totally unable to look after themselves.   Australia is no different to many other countries in not wanting unproductive migrants.

54 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Last time I looked, the UK didn't - unless you were completely destitute and totally dependent on your child.  But maybe that's changed?

31 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Last time I looked, the UK didn't - unless you were completely destitute and totally dependent on your child.  But maybe that's changed?

That’s the one I meant - I did say it’s extremely difficult to get ! 

I find it very strange that UK  would even consider taking someone so ill/ destitute when Australia insists on everybody passing a medical! 

10 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

That’s the one I meant - I did say it’s extremely difficult to get ! 

I find it very strange that UK  would even consider taking someone so ill/ destitute when Australia insists on everybody passing a medical! 

Australia also has a medical visa, I believe.  I guess it's a last resort when a parent is in an impossible situation and their life is at risk if they can't be with their parents.

1 hour ago, casuarina said:

Hey guys,

Any updates on the 2nd VAC request?

Anyone whose AOS was accepted in Feb this year or applied 143 in Jan/Feb 2016 got notification?

So anxious about current situation.

Thanks guys

Hello, no update from me. You can see timelines in my signature. I know a couple of people on here with very similar timelines have just got their 2nd Vac So I’m patiently waiting 😞 fingers crossed!

14 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

The main problem is that we are not being kept up to date by immigration and some agents flatly refuse to accept the figures - I’ve also seen posts by some saying no it’s still 4 years! . Not the good ones who post on here though, I hasten to add! Like @Alan Collett who is very realistic. 

Ive seen so many posts online in forums and on social media where people are all excited because they’ve just put in their application. And it’s heartbreaking! I’ve waited over three years already and think it may be another 3. But I’ve learnt to accept this and just get on with my normal life otherwise it will drive you crazy. 
once the borders are open maybe think about your parents applying for 870 visa. It costs $5000 per person for 3 years stay and $10,000 per person for a 5 years stay and you must have full private Health insurance. It can be renewed after 3 months out of the country but only to a maximum of 10 years then you have to leave so 2 x 5 years is $20,000 per person $ 40,000 per couple Plus associated private health insurance costs. 
Big Bucks!! 

We did look at this but they are not interested in selling up to move here then moving back again. It's just too hard at their age. 

14 hours ago, purplealster said:

Because they are taking money from people ($5k in our case) and not providing any information about what to expect. It's grossly unfair and makes it near impossible to plan and make informed decisions about things. PS: I don't need a lecture thanks, I'm well aware of what my choices were but it's not as simple at that after 12 years. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Consider that if you were an Australian wanting to bring your parents to the UK, you'd be stuck - there is no parent visa, except for a very limited one if your parent is totally unable to look after themselves.   Australia is no different to many other countries in not wanting unproductive migrants.

I get that, I'm just frustrated that they have so much secrecy around everything. Why not be open with the facts so people can make informed decisions. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ollie1234 said:

I get that, I'm just frustrated that they have so much secrecy around everything. Why not be open with the facts so people can make informed decisions. 

Perhaps you should blame your agent as well, either they lied to you or were just incompetent. We applied ourselves 3 1/2 years ago, under the impression it would only be a year on the 864 visa, joke! . We were lucky because we had lived in Australia for a long time and had a different pathway offered, 

The reality is that the  government don’t actually care about individuals or anyone who wants to emigrate.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NatS259 said:

Hello, no update from me. You can see timelines in my signature. I know a couple of people on here with very similar timelines have just got their 2nd Vac So I’m patiently waiting 😞 fingers crossed!

thanks mate. yes quite a few of us are on the same boat. i will share my update (if any) too. wish all of us good luck

4 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

They are 70 and 72. 

I think you really need to think carefully as to whether it’s worth applying for the 143. Your parents will be around/near 80 by the time they get it and there’s nothing to say the queue time won’t increase further.  Very unlikely to improve that’s for sure.  They will be just beyond average life expectancy. Not nice to think about but reality. That will be a very a expensive outlay for what may be a short time. There’s a reasonable/high chance one or both may fail the medical at that age too and the visa would then be declined. Even if all was well, few people really want to uproot from everything they know and their familiarity at 80. I know you think your doing the kind thing for your parents but it may not be the best thing. Have a chat with Alan and then a good, long chat with your parents. 

• Like 1