AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

I was not sure whether to contact citizenship dept or local council to let them know I'll be overseas for a few weeks. I contacted my local council in the end and am so glad I did, I got a response to the email I sent asking my return date, they replied saying they were going to have the ceremony the Friday before I get home, but they will change it to the Friday after I get home so I can attend. I love my small town :x

• Like 1

Ideally you should not leave Australia between applying and getting approval, this usually can take a few weeks.  They state you must not but sometimes people have to for work and therefore they need to inform the authorities. You are supposed to be inside Australia when the approval is granted.

After approval and before ceremony ( this can be a few months) you may leave if your visa is still valid or you have an RRV.  You must however be available for ceremony and they notify you by post only in majority of areas, so best to let the council know your plans or discuss likely dates before booking a holiday of more than a couple of weeks.

Ideally you should not leave Australia between applying and getting approval, this usually can take a few weeks.  They state you must not but sometimes people have to for work and therefore they need to inform the authorities. You are supposed to be inside Australia when the approval is granted.
After approval and before ceremony ( this can be a few months) you may leave if your visa is still valid or you have an RRV.  You must however be available for ceremony and they notify you by post only in majority of areas, so best to let the council know your plans or discuss likely dates before booking a holiday of more than a couple of weeks.

Ok thank you

2 hours ago, Future Citizen said:

Give more information, for how many years have you been living in Australia with and without your PR?

4 years total , 3 years on working visa , all time in Australia except few weeks on holidays. Question is you can apply on 365th day or you have to wait till 366th day ?

9 hours ago, Sheila said:

Hi,

My PR was granted on 14 April 2016, So can I lodge citizenship application on 14  20017 or I have to do on 15th April?

You need to be in Australia for 365 days. So you can apply only on 366th day 15th April. 

If you been away for few weeks then you need to wait for few more weeks to compensate that Holiday period. 

24 minutes ago, Nani said:

You need to be in Australia for 365 days. So you can apply only on 366th day 15th April. 

If you been away for few weeks then you need to wait for few more weeks to compensate that Holiday period. 

Thanks for your reply Nani,

I 100% agree with you. I think in last year you have to be Australia for 9 months out of 12 months. I has away for only 6 weeks so I think I may  not need to compensate for this period. What are your thoughts

1 hour ago, Sheila said:

Thanks for your reply Nani,

I 100% agree with you. I think in last year you have to be Australia for 9 months out of 12 months. I has away for only 6 weeks so I think I may  not need to compensate for this period. What are your thoughts

But you need to satisfy the 4 years stay in AustrAlia condition. If you been in Australia for more then 4 years then that would fine. Else you need 4 years stay

On 02/04/2017 at 9:42 AM, Sheila said:

Hi,

My PR was granted on 14 April 2016, So can I lodge citizenship application on 14  20017 or I have to do on 15th April?

The system will tell you - it doesn't let you progress with the online application until the residence criteria is met. For me, it was the day of my PR, I didn't have to wait an extra day. By the time I filled it all out it did turn into an extra day before I submitted it though. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2016 at 7:48 PM, Lila said:

Update! I received the approval letter today in my mailbox!! My council is North Sydney.

Date applied: 26/06/2016

Online/Paper: Online

Acknowledgement Email: 26/06/2016

Email with test appointment: 29/06/2016

Citizenship Test: 25/08/2016 Sydney CBD

Approval letter: 31/08/2016. Dated 25/08

Ceremony letter: waiting

Congrats Lila! Could you please update your ceremony date? Thanks!

On 3/31/2017 at 8:20 AM, stirlingperth said:

Updated Timeline

Applied: 11 Nov 16(Perth)

Test Date: 14th March 17

Approval: 15th March received on 22nd March

Ceremony: 10th may 17

Updated Timeline

Applied: 11 Nov 16(Perth)

Test Date: 14th March 17

Approval: 15th March received on 22nd March

Ceremony: 10th may 17 initially (called the council and changed it to 12th April)

Hi everyone

1. Date Applied: 03/03/2017

2. City/Council Area: Moreton Bay, Brisbane

3. Online / Paper: Online

4. Acknowledgement Email: 03/03/2017

5. Citizenship Test e-mail: 27/03/2017

6. Date of the Citizenship Test: 29/05/2017 (rearranged from 23/05/2017)

7. Approval letter: Waiting

8. Date of ceremony: Waiting

On 4/3/2017 at 10:18 AM, sapphilor said:

The system will tell you - it doesn't let you progress with the online application until the residence criteria is met. For me, it was the day of my PR, I didn't have to wait an extra day. By the time I filled it all out it did turn into an extra day before I submitted it though. 

Thanks

I attended my ceremony last week, after a super quick process. Here is my complete timeline:

Date applied: 20/11/2016
City/Council area: Brisbane / Ipswich Council (Springfield Lakes)
Online / Paper: Online
Date received the acknowledgement email: 20/11/2016
Date Test Appointment email received: 28/11/2016
Date of the Citizenship Test: 1 /2/2017. Rearranged to 11/1/2017
Approval Letter: 17/01/2017
Date of Ceremony: 29/03/2017

• Like 2

Hi all,

Here is my timeline so far

1. Date applied: 08/03/2017

2. City/council region: Sunshine Coast

3. Online/paper: Online

4. Acknowledgement email: 08/03/2017

5. Citizenship test email: waiting

6. Date of citizenship test: waiting

7. Approval letter: waiting

8. Date of ceremony: waiting

Hi everyone,

1. Date applied: 24/03/2017

2. City/council region: Melbourne (Monash council)

4. Acknowledgement email: 24/03/2017

anyone else applied in march from Melbourne.any updates ?.

26 minutes ago, rare83 said:

Hi everyone,

1. Date applied: 24/03/2017

2. City/council region: Melbourne (Monash council)

4. Acknowledgement email: 24/03/2017

anyone else applied in march from Melbourne.any updates ?.

Doesn't look like from the excel sheet (link below), you can update your timelines for tracking/analysis:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JYRvi6XH4LKUvdCW5vmCG44U7VG469oZNQeKgceVDO4/edit?ts=589cfc5c#gid=0

Hello 

This is my timeline 

1. Date applied : 26/01/2017
  2. City/Council area Hume , Melbourne.
  3. Online / Paper : online 
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email : 26/01/2017
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test : 10/03/2017
  6. Approval: 22/03/2017
  7. Date of ceremony :TBA
  8. Type of ceremony :TBA

Anyone from Hume council , Melbourne, in this forum?

Regards

• Like 1