AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

13 minutes ago, Sheila said:

Does this effect people who are currently on PR and not applied citizenship yet ?

Hello 

Check this recent PDF Document:  http://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/discussion-papers/citizenship-paper.pdf

The Government will introduce new citizenship related legislation into the Parliament, informed by responses to this paper, by the end of 2017. The package of reforms will apply to applications received on or after the Government’s announcement on 20 April 2017.

Good luck for everyone 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, شكوبيستان السفلى said:

Hello 

Check this recent PDF Document:  http://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/discussion-papers/citizenship-paper.pdf

The Government will introduce new citizenship related legislation into the Parliament, informed by responses to this paper, by the end of 2017. The package of reforms will apply to applications received on or after the Government’s announcement on 20 April 2017.

Good luck for everyone 

Hi there, please have look on it:

"When a law comes into effect

Acts do not necessarily come into operation immediately on assent, although this is common. An Act may specify a particular date for commencement, perhaps retrospective, or the day of a stipulated event, or a date to be decided later by the government and announced (‘proclaimed’) by the Governor-General. If no commencement date is specified in an Act, it comes into effect on the 28th day after it receives assent."

In my opinion the DIBP should continue to process the applications as they normally do, for the moment the reforms are just a bill that needs to be approved by the Parliament. If the proposed bill will become law so it can be retrospective.

Some statistics from the 44th Parliament

A total of 547 bills were introduced. Of these roughly 98% originated in the House of Representatives. Approximately 69% of bills introduced finally became Acts. The consideration of legislation took up some 45% of the House’s time.

Font: http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/House_of_Representatives/Powers_practice_and_procedure/00_-_Infosheets/Infosheet_7_-_Making_laws

3 minutes ago, unbeliavable said:

Hi there, please have look on it:

"When a law comes into effect

Acts do not necessarily come into operation immediately on assent, although this is common. An Act may specify a particular date for commencement, perhaps retrospective, or the day of a stipulated event, or a date to be decided later by the government and announced (‘proclaimed’) by the Governor-General. If no commencement date is specified in an Act, it comes into effect on the 28th day after it receives assent."

In my opinion the DIBP should continue to process the applications as they normally do, for the moment the reforms are just a bill that needs to be approved by the Parliament. If the proposed bill will become law so it can be retrospective.

Some statistics from the 44th Parliament

A total of 547 bills were introduced. Of these roughly 98% originated in the House of Representatives. Approximately 69% of bills introduced finally became Acts. The consideration of legislation took up some 45% of the House’s time.

Font: http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/House_of_Representatives/Powers_practice_and_procedure/00_-_Infosheets/Infosheet_7_-_Making_laws

The legislative process

Bills (proposed laws) may be introduced first in either the House of Representatives or the Senate but must be considered by each House in turn.

14 minutes ago, Keep me in oz said:

Thanks for all this legislation info guys! 

I am worried about applying and it being declined. I meet the old criteria but not the new. think they can decline it if the legislation is changed but i met the criteria at the time? I dont want a declined app against me!

#Keep me in oz, when did you apply your citizenship application?

6 minutes ago, Keep me in oz said:

I havent yet, im eligible (under the old rules) in three weeks! 

Should i apply still? if the system allows me to that is!

I am about to as well in 4 weeks time. That is also my worry whether we can apply since the rule has not been finalized.. and yes, whether the system allows us!

All my documents are ready, just waiting for the exact 4th year to come.. but then this happened.. :(

10 minutes ago, Zet01 said:

I am about to as well in 4 weeks time. That is also my worry whether we can apply since the rule has not been finalized.. and yes, whether the system allows us!

All my documents are ready, just waiting for the exact 4th year to come.. but then this happened.. :(

It really sucks doesn't it! I will let you know in three weeks whether the system allowed me to apply!

4 minutes ago, Keep me in oz said:

It really sucks doesn't it! I will let you know in three weeks whether the system allowed me to apply!

Really sucks! Yes, please. So I would know whether we can still push through with the application. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Keep me in oz said:

its all a bit odd, i hope they wouldnt be mean and decline it once the legislation goes through!

That's also my concern, as there's no clear instruction on what will happen with the applications sent yesterday and thereafter..

1 minute ago, Zet01 said:

That's also my concern, as there's no clear instruction on what will happen with the applications sent yesterday and thereafter..

It is difficult to know everyone's stand on this matter. I have applied last month (March) and haven't heard from DIBP until now, so I called them up this morning. They told me that they haven't received any instruction yet, but they will inform the applicants should there be any concern.

Hi new to this forum applied my citizenship on 30th March by paper money deducted on 8th April still.waiting for interview date plz if u know.tell me.that how many days does it take to get interview date thanks and I.think I am.not.affect by new rules.thanks

• Like 1

On 4/21/2017 at 4:59 PM, ahad12 said:

@Zet01  I spoke to my migration agent. He said we can apply , if they approve the new rule they will refund the application fee. Even I am not sure whether to take risk of applying.

I see.. Will just try our luck next month when we reach our 4th year. Thanks.