AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

I can enter EU on my passport if I have my ceremony in Dec but I cannot return back to Aus as my PR will cease the day I take the oath. I cannot believe it. I rang the Passport office and the lady said she cannot ship the new passport to an overseas location. :(

You nay apply for a passport at Australian embassy in Europe if you have your citizenship certificate in hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I would like to ask do you need police clearance when applying for citizenship if you live in Oz for 4 years on PR visa and applying for citizenship after completion of 4th year. I am originally from India. Moved to UK at the age of of 34 and moved to Australia from UK in August 2012. Since arriving I was in Oz except for 5 weeks in January 2015.

Thanks...

Yeah might have to do that. It will be interesting over Xmas/New years :D

However, once you become an Australian citizen, you must use an Aus passport to exit the country.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Curr/Citizenship-through-travel

I had a friend who had checked in her Aus passport with her luggage because she was travelling to the UK. Apparently, she was not allowed to exit with her British passport and had to go through much trouble to retrieve her bag.

Hi I would like to ask do you need police clearance when applying for citizenship if you live in Oz for 4 years on PR visa and applying for citizenship after completion of 4th year. I am originally from India. Moved to UK at the age of of 34 and moved to Australia from UK in August 2012. Since arriving I was in Oz except for 5 weeks in January 2015.

Thanks...

From the DIBP website:

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Appl/What-documents-do-you-need/good-character-and-offences

The following requirements apply to the period of time you have held a permanent Australian visa.

You need penal clearance certificates from overseas countries if:

• you lived or travelled overseas since the age of 18 years or over, and

• the total time spent overseas added up to 12 months or more, and

• the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days, or

• you are requested to do so by the department.

Provide a penal clearance certificate from every country that you spent more than 90 days in.

So exactly what Roland mentioned. Even if you do not meet all of the above conditions, the department may request for a PCC as per the "OR" clause

Thanks Roland and Catlyst2012. I checked the requirement of the website however was bit confused. Now I understood the following requirement apply to the period of time I have held a PR visa. I have been granted visa in June 2012 and arrived in Oz in August 2012. Since then was away only for 5 weeks. What a relief!! I thought I have to apply for clearance from India and UK again.

"You need penal clearance certificates from overseas countries if:

• you lived or travelled overseas since the age of 18 years or over, and
  • the total time spent overseas added up to 12 months or more, and
  • the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days, or
  • you are requested to do so by the department."

I can enter EU on my passport if I have my ceremony in Dec but I cannot return back to Aus as my PR will cease the day I take the oath. I cannot believe it. I rang the Passport office and the lady said she cannot ship the new passport to an overseas location. :(

You can get a passport in two business days

https://www.passports.gov.au/urgentapplications/Pages/default.aspx

Date applied - 06/07/2016

City/Council area - City of Greater Dandenong (Victoria)

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 06/07/2016

Date of the Citizenship Test - 01/08/2016 Passed 100%

Approval letter dated - Waiting

Date of ceremony - Waiting

CO told me that ceremony for my council is approximately 3-4 months from approval.

However, once you become an Australian citizen, you must use an Aus passport to exit the country.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Curr/Citizenship-through-travel

I had a friend who had checked in her Aus passport with her luggage because she was travelling to the UK. Apparently, she was not allowed to exit with her British passport and had to go through much trouble to retrieve her bag.

This is exactly what I mean. I am not even sure now what to do unless I reschedule my citizenship appointment if its in Dec and travel on my original passport.

You can get a passport in two business days

https://www.passports.gov.au/urgentapplications/Pages/default.aspx

I am in Townsville so two business days might only work if I am in a capital city. Also the DIBP said that its ideal to wait 7 days after receiving your certificate so I won't cut it anyway. Shame that we got posted to Townsville (Defence family), I got my son's passport when we were travelling to Europe last time in 2 working days, but we were in Canberra and it was sooooo easy.

Guest Sarah2016

Defence family.

So proud of your family.

On on a different note, if your husband also waiting for ceremony, they might give priority for Defence families? Just a thought....

So proud of your family.

On on a different note, if your husband also waiting for ceremony, they might give priority for Defence families? Just a thought....

Thank you <3 Nah my husband's originally Hungarian but lived in Austria and migrated to Aus when he was 7 :P So he's already a citizen years ago haha I wish I was a Defence recruit, it would be done in 3 months. We have a friend, he's a lateral transfer from the UK army and he had his oath done within 3 months. :o

Also the DIBP said that its ideal to wait 7 days after receiving your certificate so I won't cut it anyway

I read on another forum that you can apply for a passport as long as you have the certificate, the correct endorsed photo and of course the completed application form, and there's no minimum waiting period, but it's best to confirm with the passport office? I pretty much want to travel in December too, and I just hope I get to attend a ceremony soon as that will just give me some extra time to sort out the passport, and most importantly book flights otherwise I'm going to have to spend a fortune on flights ;) My PR expires in December too, so if I don't have my ceremony in December, I'll need to get an RRV.. Oh well, let's see what's in store!

I read on another forum that you can apply for a passport as long as you have the certificate, the correct endorsed photo and of course the completed application form, and there's no minimum waiting period, but it's best to confirm with the passport office? I pretty much want to travel in December too, and I just hope I get to attend a ceremony soon as that will just give me some extra time to sort out the passport, and most importantly book flights otherwise I'm going to have to spend a fortune on flights ;) My PR expires in December too, so if I don't have my ceremony in December, I'll need to get an RRV.. Oh well, let's see what's in store!

Oh no! I did not know you were in the same boat. :(

I am just regretting not applying for citizenship last year in Canberra where its super fast and rather waited till I moved to Townsville where it seems the ceremomy is taken quicker than a test date. :(

Now I did ring the Passport office and they said the same thing but I too have read on the other forums that people have applied for passport the same day going to AUSPOST directly after the ceremony. I might just do that if I have one in Dec otherwise I'll have to postpone my trip to next year as I have already booked my tickets. :o I envy my husband and my son. No need of this stress at all lol.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Godddddddddddddddddddd :arghh: Cant believe it! am i dreaming?!!!!!!someone wake me up :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:[emoji23] OZ OZ OZ OZ OZZZZZZZ:arghh::chatterbox::wub::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

What happnd mate???[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Contacted my council and was told 19 Sep is the last citizenship ceremony held in the council. So i reckon its highly unlikely that I can get my citizenship by the end of this year.

now you can't say immigration is slow.. they are moving fast. hoping for mine too now 20 sep. approved on 26 july..

only 4 ceremonies in a year and you are in the next one... party???