Christmas

Nandini Millar

All started in the 1970's/80's so I've been told. I was talking to an English friend's mum who has lived in Perth since the early 70's and she said it used to be mainly British friends getting together to have a cold 'Christmas'. Not treated like a real Christmas of course, but they did wear paper hats, have hot roast and trimmings, have some decorations and played silly games. There was a restaurant, Dirty Dicks or something 😮 who used to put on a show (panto like). My friend's mum said it was just to have Christmas decorations and fun in the colder months.

Christmas in July or Yulefest is pretty common - particularly up in the Blue Mountains.

Lots of hotels and resorts do special weekend celebrations in the winter months. They put up the decorations, have a tree, log fires etc and, of course, all the usual Xmas food. Loads of people participate - it's popular with families and groups of friends who want a more traditional Christmas celebration in cold weather. If often snows up there which adds to the ambience.

• Like 1

We live in Brisbane and I miss the UK terribly at Christmas time. It isn’t the same in the heat BUT we still decorate, have plenty of lights up and make our spaces cosy and Christmassy. Some houses round our area are amazing for lights and decorations and that always puts us in a festive mood. Especially coming home to warm mince pies with baileys cream. Oh and on Netflix there’s a program- well more a recording really of a fireplace- literally 60 minutes of burning wood. There’s 2- the second one is ‘birch wood edition’ 😬

This will be our 8th Christmas in Brisbane and we always do a roast -like someone else commented my husband would divorce me if I cooked him BBQd seafood on Christmas Day. I usually do the prep the day before so there’s not a great deal to do on Christms day, and we have the aircon on really low. After lunch we we spend the rest of the day relaxing and pigging out on all the usual festive treats, watch the kids play with their toys and sometimes have an evening walk. A lovely cheese board is my treat on Christmas Day evening. 

It can be magical but I find you have to work harder at it than in the UK. Christmas is what you make of it regardless of where you live.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bulya said:

Everybody here does xmas in July.  It’s quite a big deal

Just not cold enough though sadly. Been to a couple of these events with my wife's friends and it always seems to happen on mild, wet, Melbourne July weekends. Not even cold enough to wear a  jumper! Fun, but nothing like Christmas back home. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozzie said:

All started in the 1970's/80's so I've been told. I was talking to an English friend's mum who has lived in Perth since the early 70's and she said it used to be mainly British friends getting together to have a cold 'Christmas'. Not treated like a real Christmas of course, but they did wear paper hats, have hot roast and trimmings, have some decorations and played silly games. There was a restaurant, Dirty Dicks or something 😮 who used to put on a show (panto like). My friend's mum said it was just to have Christmas decorations and fun in the colder months.

Sounds like a proper commitment to Christmas haha. I don't think I would go that far but just a wonder how it would be like to have Christmas in summer. Sounds weird to me already but I might embrace the full Aussie way as I have always adapted to places 😀  would love to take kids to pantomime though in t shirts and shorts. That should be amazing. Not a fan of cold and wind not to forget the chilly rain 😕😕

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Every year for about the last 10 we have had Christmas in July with friends- and $10 kris kringles, too. You get to have 2 Christmases here in Australia.  Fantastic.

We always buy a small Turkey in the sales on Xmas Eve and freeze it and have Christmas dinner again for Easter. Crackers and all the trimmings, but no tree or presents.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nandini Millar said:

Yes I know. Over here we look for house that has South facing garden but over there I think that don't apply at all. 

That's right Nandini.  The north is the warmest aspect of houses here.  Opposite to you.  😀  Our front garden faces north west.  Good in the summer but a tad blustery in the winter as from those directions we get the wind howling off the ocean and the mountains - we are on the north west coast of Tasmania. 

• Like 1

Anyway, I might not like Xmas here. But what is better is going back to work after New Year. I used to have to stand on Manchester Piccadilly Platform 14 in a 1 degree hurricane every Jan 3rd. Going back to work after NY here is easy.

We are moving back, I probably have more Piccadilly to come 😥 😁.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, s713 said:

Anyway, I might not like Xmas here. But what is better is going back to work after New Year. I used to have to stand on Manchester Piccadilly Platform 14 in a 1 degree hurricane every Jan 3rd. Going back to work after NY here is easy.

When I was back one Christmas with our two boy years ago, we went to visit friends and relatives in Liverpool.  We got the train from Carlisle and had to change at Preston.  It was very dark, freezing cold and drizzling.  The waiting room was packed so we stood on the platform for 15 minutes waiting for our connection.  Horrible!

• Like 2

On 19/12/2018 at 23:37, s713 said:

yes piccadilly station will be chilly and cold in jan as i did my studies in Manchester University and been at the same situation so many times. I stopped buying brollies after i couldnt keep a track of how many i have lost hehe. but yeah welcome back to Manchester. Its a good place.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 05:04, Nandini Millar said:

Hello everyone. This year's Christmas could be our last Christmas in UK. It's exciting but at the same time I think it's going to be different experience altogether to have Christmas in summer haha. In England it's freezing cold now. How did you find your first Christmas in summer ?? Will be lovely to hear about your experiences. Me and my family are thinking to settle in Brisbane. I am thinking temperature will be really high in December. By the way merry Christmas in advance everyone 🎅🎅🎅💝💝

It was great. First christmas here 6 years ago. Park bbq in Caloundra follwed by a dip in the sea. Loads of people on the beach wearing santa hats.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2018 at 13:16, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Just not cold enough though sadly. Been to a couple of these events with my wife's friends and it always seems to happen on mild, wet, Melbourne July weekends. Not even cold enough to wear a  jumper! Fun, but nothing like Christmas back home. 

Hehe I love Christmas jumpers too maybe I would switch to Christmas t shirts haha

• Like 1

On 19/12/2018 at 23:42, Toots said:

When I was back one Christmas with our two boy years ago, we went to visit friends and relatives in Liverpool.  We got the train from Carlisle and had to change at Preston.  It was very dark, freezing cold and drizzling.  The waiting room was packed so we stood on the platform for 15 minutes waiting for our connection.  Horrible!

I know it's too cold and wet here and we are always poorly off and on until we feel some sun and that takes forever. We need sun and wants to spend time outdoors. sometimes I feel so bad that my 2 little kids are always indoors. 

On 19/12/2018 at 06:05, NickyNook said:

Christmas in July or Yulefest is pretty common - particularly up in the Blue Mountains.

Lots of hotels and resorts do special weekend celebrations in the winter months. They put up the decorations, have a tree, log fires etc and, of course, all the usual Xmas food. Loads of people participate - it's popular with families and groups of friends who want a more traditional Christmas celebration in cold weather. If often snows up there which adds to the ambience.

Sounds brilliant we might join in as well. A bit of snowfall sounds good too hehe