Melton Mowbray Pie in Perth

NoahK

In eight years I never came across a really good one. Though the deli at Boatshed market has reasonable ones. If you haven't been, it is a fantastic foodie heaven. But, be prepared for prices to match. I highly recommend the butchers there as well and probably the best cheese selection in WA. Oh, and curries at the deli counter are like British restaurant curries. 

Melton Mowbray TYPE pie...ie similar to all the pork pies very authentically made by every one of the big Supermarkets in the UK...Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury, Marks etc...all make their own pork pies...I would be happy to buy...why no comparable crunchy pastry here in Oz...one guy told me the pastry here is doughy because of the flour here...another said it is the Climate...and a lot of the pies in UK are small ones but just as crunchy etc..at this rate I’ll just have to try making my own..😜👍

My husband bought a couple of pork pies which he reckoned were alright from a deli in Hobart.  They are marketed as Pacdon Park pork pies and I looked up where else they are available.  Apparently the Boatshed Market, 40 Jarrod Street, Cottesloe sell them too.  I can't vouch for them as I don't eat meat.    Here is their spiel:

Our pork pie, traditionally eaten cold, is perfect as part of a Ploughman's Lunch, or with mustard and a cold beer! Made using traditional British Recipes and only the finest free range local pork. We bone out the pork in-house, and also make our own lard which gives them their delicious hot water crust pastry. Our pies are baked in the traditional manner, without using a supporting hoop or tin, which gives them their classic bow-sided shape of an authentic Melton Mowbray Pork Pie.

pie.jpg

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
On 30/11/2018 at 19:23, Johndoe said:

Got tired of searching for a decent pork pie so now I make my own and also make brawn. That's a large dinner plate btw.........Once started on it, it's hard to stop.........just add HP brown sauce to dip

44297303380_2932731143_o.jpgTraditional home baked English pork pie by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

@Cerberus1 has just sent me this Kev as I said I’d love a nibble of a pork pie and my son said I’ll bake you one, he then asked me how, and I’ve honestly no idea. Would you please mind sharing the recipe either here or via pm sometime. Or he is on here @Squarepants

Great looking pork pie...only question I would ask is...and this may just be a personal preference...is that pie pastry should be lardy and crunchy especially in the base...or...it looks like the pastry may be soft and doughy like the Oz made pies are...what would you say..?

i suspect the Brit pork pies pastry must be mixed with lard to get that crunchy base especially...your thoughts..?

Noah

12 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

@Cerberus1 has just sent me this Kev as I said I’d love a nibble of a pork pie and my son said I’ll bake you one, he then asked me how, and I’ve honestly no idea. Would you please mind sharing the recipe either here or via pm sometime. Or he is on here @Squarepants

Mine won’t be that good mum it won’t even look like that.

16 hours ago, NoahK said:

Great looking pork pie...only question I would ask is...and this may just be a personal preference...is that pie pastry should be lardy and crunchy especially in the base...or...it looks like the pastry may be soft and doughy like the Oz made pies are...what would you say..?

i suspect the Brit pork pies pastry must be mixed with lard to get that crunchy base especially...your thoughts..?

Noah

Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside due to the gelatin. My boys like lots of jelly so I make my pastry thicker than is normal to accommodate. I could bake longer to dry the pastry through but I prefer it soft inside. yes, I use lard but I seriously can't tell much difference on the odd occasion that I've used margerine.

18 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

It involves cooking a large pork shoulder Kate so if you're prepared for that expense/time, let me know and I'll send recipe

Guest The Pom Queen
9 hours ago, benj1980 said:

Never understood the pork pie, but then I'm from Cornwall the origin of the food from the Gods!

Hubby loves the Cornish pasty, for me it was Pork Pie and Steak and Kidney Pudding.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 04/12/2018 at 18:28, Johndoe said:

Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside due to the gelatin. My boys like lots of jelly so I make my pastry thicker than is normal to accommodate. I could bake longer to dry the pastry through but I prefer it soft inside. yes, I use lard but I seriously can't tell much difference on the odd occasion that I've used margerine.

It involves cooking a large pork shoulder Kate so if you're prepared for that expense/time, let me know and I'll send recipe

Please send it @Johndoe although if the pork all needs to be used in the same batch we may struggle unless the pie freezes fine as one that size would last me a year.

Got tired of searching for a decent pork pie so now I make my own and also make brawn. That's a large dinner plate btw.........Once started on it, it's hard to stop.........just add HP brown sauce to dip
44297303380_2932731143_o.jpg&key=ef9227a3055fd3c288f238774a7fa275e0e59fde371d992c6ed2eac33b35ab8cTraditional home baked English pork pie by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Very nice looking pork pie! Can’t find a website to place an order though [emoji853][emoji38]
  • Like 2