Visa in hand , selling house timeline vs leaving - animals and child in tow!

scubacam

I'm in Melbourne SE suburbs and see a fair number of cats roaming about.  I love cats, but agree they should be indoor.  Not everyone wants them using their garden as a litterbox (I dig enough out of my garden and I don't own a cat) or see them catching birds and other wildlife.  My sister is a veterinary technician and can tell countless stories of cats being brought in injured by cars, animal attacks, etc.  

• Like 1

The problem here is that Australian native species developed without a cat like predator. Many therefore nest on the ground and are slow moving. You are right, cats are natural hunters and love to roam. Even well fed cats will stalk and injure or kill, they don’t just do it when they are hungry.  Yes snakes kill the wildlife BUT only to eat and they don’t need to eat every day so there impact is low and in keeping with the ecosystem.  Cats can and do therefore devastate native wildlife, especially in areas where it is already compromised by housing.

If you are happy to keep your cats confined to a run or indoors bring them. Otherwise think hard. 

People are living on increasingly small lots and are fed up of neighbours who don’t control their pets. Some take them to the council because then the owner may be fined to get the cat back, hopefully making them less likely to offend again. Trouble is they can and do escape. Feral cats are also a real problem here.

Aussies love their dogs though, even if landlords can be fussy!  Cats are a hot topic here at the moment though. 

Having said that Dogs are often not allowed in reserves at all or only on a leash, again to protect the wildlife. There is no right to roam here so dog parks are more common. Many beaches require dogs to be leashed during daylight saving apart from early or late in the day. So if you are used to long walks in the country with your dog that will need to be adjusted too. Also pavements and sand get VERY hot in summer and dogs paws can burn easily. 

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 4

In the UK it's unusual for cats to be kept in. Have to say I like the kept in idea for many reasons stated on here. Every time you hear that someone has got a kitten (the cute kitten photos that appear on FB)  what that actually means is everyday for the next 15 years it's going to messing on someone else's garden and its not fair.  An old neighbour of mine used to have 3 cats and they went through a stage of messing in my garden daily. Didn't even bother digging, just on the grass. I spent money on various gadgets and smelly stuff trying to get rid of them. How can it be fair that someone makes a choice to get a pet and others have to clean their mess up daily.  If you have a dog you're expected to clean up after it and it's law you do yet get a dozen cats and they can poop wherever they want because they are 'wild' animals. In the wild yes, bought and raised as pets out of choice then no I think.  I don't dislike cats or any animals, it's not their fault but it amazes me that so many people get cats because they like them with no regard to the inconvenience it will have to others, not maybe, definitely (they never poop in their own garden). Personally even if I wanted one,  which I don't,  knowing the inconvenience it would have on others would make me think hard as to whether it's the descent thing to do. Cat runs and house cats get my vote. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

In the UK it's unusual for cats to be kept in. Have to say I like the kept in idea for many reasons stated on here. Every time you hear that someone has got a kitten (the cute kitten photos that appear on FB)  what that actually means is everyday for the next 15 years it's going to messing on someone else's garden and its not fair.  An old neighbour of mine used to have 3 cats and they went through a stage of messing in my garden daily. Didn't even bother digging, just on the grass. I spent money on various gadgets and smelly stuff trying to get rid of them. How can it be fair that someone makes a choice to get a pet and others have to clean their mess up daily.  If you have a dog you're expected to clean up after it and it's law you do yet get a dozen cats and they can poop wherever they want because they are 'wild' animals. In the wild yes, bought and raised as pets out of choice then no I think.  I don't dislike cats or any animals, it's not their fault but it amazes me that so many people get cats because they like them with no regard to the inconvenience it will have to others, not maybe, definitely (they never poop in their own garden). Personally even if I wanted one,  which I don't,  knowing the inconvenience it would have on others would make me think hard as to whether it's the descent thing to do. Cat runs and house cats get my vote. 

Slight side step from the post, just got that off my chest in response to others mentioning cats pooping. I do understand the OP feeling the need to take all pets as they are part of the family. I do believe it's true that the humans would miss the cats more than the other way round but the OP loves and cares for her pets and that's not a bad thing. The renting may well be a problem though and again I think I've seen before that many landlords don't mind a dog as most in OZ have dogs outside for much of the time whereas the landlord knows the cats are likely to be inside. Theres always someone that won't mind though, especially if you're not fussy (may have to take a less desirable place short term) I wish you the best of luck, it will all work out somehow 

We made the decision to leave our cat. 
It wouldn't have been fair on him - he doesn't like the hot weather and he's a rescue that's a bit PTSD. 
Being brutally honest, so long as he gets fed, stroked and left alone when it suits him, he will be happy with or without us.

It broke both our hearts and we miss him terribly.

But we made the right decision.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, unzippy said:

We made the decision to leave our cat. 
It wouldn't have been fair on him - he doesn't like the hot weather and he's a rescue that's a bit PTSD. 
Being brutally honest, so long as he gets fed, stroked and left alone when it suits him, he will be happy with or without us.

It broke both our hearts and we miss him terribly.

But we made the right decision.

Brave decision. 

Do they send you updates or have you gone cold turkey?

On 16/10/2018 at 22:28, scubacam said:

Interesting because surely all cats are different; ours used to be a nightmare with frogs but now older and lazy, like to sunbathe , eat and sleep!

Probably true but your average Aussie won’t care. They are essentially seen as vermin and treated as such. Forever etched in my memory is the sight of rows of fox carcasses strung up, rotting on fences where they had been shot. In the heat, smell was delicious!🤢 That is the attitude to vermin. Never seen cats strung up but you get my drift. 

Absolutely take them, but be prepared to contain them to your garden.

I have a cat, but other people’s cats s$*t and worse the spraying and pi$$ smell, I used to hose the neighbours cat as I don’t want it around my property.

There is another thread somewhere where pom queen and myself have talked about runs. I used catmax and he used a cat door straight from the house to go in and out at will.

Good luck, you’ll work it out. Sometimes it all falls into place through your best plans and a dash of luck!

• Like 2

Slight side step from the post, just got that off my chest in response to others mentioning cats pooping. I do understand the OP feeling the need to take all pets as they are part of the family. I do believe it's true that the humans would miss the cats more than the other way round but the OP loves and cares for her pets and that's not a bad thing. The renting may well be a problem though and again I think I've seen before that many landlords don't mind a dog as most in OZ have dogs outside for much of the time whereas the landlord knows the cats are likely to be inside. Theres always someone that won't mind though, especially if you're not fussy (may have to take a less desirable place short term) I wish you the best of luck, it will all work out somehow 

Everyone’s input is really helpful - it’s all so foreign to me because it’s so different here. Makes me feel sad as well because I have owned cats since I was a child and can’t imagine not but how does everyone keep their cats indoors especially if you have doors open house which in summer here we do ; I understand air con is used but with kids and parities/visitors it doesn’t seem sustainable.

That’s also the problem- I couldn’t take an undesirable place ; the move will be tough enough without our surroundings being horrible

35 minutes ago, scubacam said:

And they are our babies ; we have had them for 9 years and they are also rescues . One is nervous - I can’t even imagine rehoming them and then how I and they would cope with it . They are all we know

If you have to bring them and have to let them out in the garden, at least double bell them so the native fauna can hear them coming (even that isnt guaranteed of course!). Make sure you provide them with their own nice comfortable litter place so they dont have to go digging in the neighbourhood kids' sand pits.  I daresay they would cope much better than you would if they were rehomed.

• Like 1

I hadn't thought of the open door situation. It's a really good point as everyone opens doors and windows, would be strange and near impossible not to. I think you'll need to take them,  let them out and hope for the best. It would probably be difficult to rehome an old cat and you certainly couldn't leave them in a rehoming centre just hoping to get picked. Some people are lucky enough to have family or friends take them in and at least then you'd know they were in good hands being looked after.  You see them as part of your family so take them and it will all work out I'm sure, best of luck 

I hadn't thought of the open door situation. It's a really good point as everyone opens doors and windows, would be strange and near impossible not to. I think you'll need to take them,  let them out and hope for the best. It would probably be difficult to rehome an old cat and you certainly couldn't leave them in a rehoming centre just hoping to get picked. Some people are lucky enough to have family or friends take them in and at least then you'd know they were in good hands being looked after.  You see them as part of your family so take them and it will all work out I'm sure, best of luck 

Thank you for your understanding ; I’m now worried about what type of property I’ll find that’ll allow them and what if their life there is way worse because of how cats are treated / viewed by the public

1 hour ago, scubacam said:

Everyone’s input is really helpful - it’s all so foreign to me because it’s so different here. Makes me feel sad as well because I have owned cats since I was a child and can’t imagine not but how does everyone keep their cats indoors especially if you have doors open house which in summer here we do ; I understand air con is used but with kids and parities/visitors it doesn’t seem sustainable.

That’s also the problem- I couldn’t take an undesirable place ; the move will be tough enough without our surroundings being horrible

Although we have doors and windows open here all year round on the sunny coast and many other areas most houses have mesh/security screens on them as safety deterrent and to stop mosquitoes and snakes, let alone cats. 

42 minutes ago, ramot said:

Although we have doors and windows open here all year round on the sunny coast and many other areas most houses have mesh/security screens on them as safety deterrent and to stop mosquitoes and snakes, let alone cats. 

Exactly. My screen doors and flyscreens contained my cat no problem. The screen doors also have a spring on to close automatically so they don’t stay open. Sorted!

Exactly. My screen doors and flyscreens contained my cat no problem. The screen doors also have a spring on to close automatically so they don’t stay open. Sorted!

I definitely feel that in my own property I could try and sort it but how do I get a nice rental with three animals ? I thought the dog would be a problem

1 minute ago, scubacam said:

I definitely feel that in my own property I could try and sort it but how do I get a nice rental with three animals ? I thought the dog would be a problem

You could offer a bigger bond and to have the place professionally cleaned when you leave. These have worked for people. Is the dog very big? If not you have 3 small pets, you should be able to find somewhere.

Years ago when I arrived, I took an ok but not flash rental as they would let me have the dog inside which Aussies tend not to do. All arse about, dogs outside, cats inside! 😃

I’m worried you are really fixating on the pets issue. You will find a way. Might not be the perfect place you want initially but if it is only for a relatively short period, 6-12 months, then in the grand scheme of things you’ll manage. It might have to be the compromise of moving to Australia and keeping your animals. Better than not moving or getting rid of them. 

I don’t know the area you are moving to at all so can’t help there I’m afraid. 

Stayz do animal friendly holiday rentals as well so in an absolute crisis you could use them for a few weeks. I used them with my cat before I left Australia in June.

Really wish you well, it is very stressful but you will get there somehow. 

I agree with Amber try to relax a bit more. We rent several times a year mostly through stayz type in pet friendly and no problem. However is more expensive so if it’s fairly long term worth trying to negotiate cheaper.

Also there are I think new laws possibly coming that landlord can’t refuse pets?

We gave my very special to me Siamese cat to friends when we went to Brunei, I cried, my cat loved her new owner every bit as much as me. We were lucky though as over the years we kept in touch and had photos sent. 

3 hours ago, scubacam said:

A dog is fairly well accepted these days.  Both my nieces have dogs. One owns her own home but she and her husband travel a lot for their business, and they take the dog with them.   They mostly use AirBnB now and have never had a problem. The other is renting and has moved a few times, again never had a problem finding a place.   

As Ramot says, there are laws in some states which say landlords cannot refuse to allow ONE pet.    It's the multiple animals that are the problem.

Does your husband realise the difficulties and considerable expense the cats are going to cause?  Does he also think they are worth the cost (not just of shipping, but the cost of all the other complications you're putting yourself to because of them).

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, scubacam said:

And they are our babies ; we have had them for 9 years and they are also rescues . One is nervous - I can’t even imagine rehoming them and then how I and they would cope with it . They are all we know

Just to put an alternate view across, and I don't want to be seen to having ago as I know it's tough enough.  But:

They have already been re homed at least once and they coped.

You say one is nervous, how do you think he/she will react to the minimum 6 visits to the vets to get the rabies cert and then the journey?  That's also part of the reason why Leo didn't come.

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It would probably be difficult to rehome an old cat and you certainly couldn't leave them in a rehoming centre just hoping to get picked. 

It wasn't.  Leo originally went to a friends but the resident cat wasn't very happy.  Leo tolerated her up to a point and then stood up for himself.  Our friends understandably didn't want the full scale warfare in their house - we tried all the the internet tips and tricks, pheromone plugins but she wouldn't have it.  Jointly we made the decision to send him to a cat home.

Maybe we should have sent him there first, who knows.  That way the servants get vetted and they are there for a reason - they want a cat instead of doing someone a favour.

Anyway he got snapped up within a week.  But then he's tremendously handsome😎

F2iuYDPh.jpg

• Like 3

I know i'm being tough on the issue but I do understand that it will break your heart to let your cats go. I love  animals too.  If you had only one cat, I'd be saying, bring it and buy a portable run that you can take from your holiday place to your rental to your eventual home.    

I know it's the last thing you want, but take a moment to plan out how your move would work, if you only had the dog. How much simpler would it be?  How much would you save?  Would it make a difference to how good a start you could make to your family's future in Australia?   Get your husband's opinion.  

The two of you might decide that the cats are so precious, you are willing to go through the extra stress and cost to keep them. Or you may not.  But you can't make the decision if you don't face the possibility and asses both options. 

• Like 1

You are re homing them anyway. Taking them to Australia is re homing them. Cats attach to places more than people.

It will be just as stressful if not more so to transport them to Australia and a temporary home, then eventually a permanent home than to re home them in the UK.

The cats are just cats, they will be happy if their needs are met and they are secure. Your emotions are completely different and are much less rational than the cats. You are taking them for your sake NOT theirs. Do not project your feelings onto the cats  

I have owned a cat and was very fond of him, but he would just as happily go to a neighbour when we went on holiday. Cats are not loyal to their owners like dogs are, they move on pretty quick!

• Like 3

An alternative to the alternative is you don’t go to Australia.

If my dog couldn’t have gone to Australia I wouldn’t have moved.

In December last year 6 months before I was planning to return to the UK my cat was diagnosed as diabetic. I worked hard to get him stable and safe enough to travel, which he was. If he hadn’t have been I would have been reconsidering my plans tbh.

I delayed as it was due to waiting for the dog to die as she was way too old for any sort of disruption.

Just another thought as someone who couldn’t part with her animals.

• Like 1